• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nani?

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4613-7779-1616
Switch FC
SW 2020-9361-5549
Personally don't understand why some people were upset with the outcome, and that's coming from a decently critical person.

Zoa

Smash Ace
I like what I've seen so far but it does feel like it's retreading old ground, I need to see more newcomers, more new stages and more new modes, it just feels like an amalgamation of previous smash games right now.

Although tbh ridley makes the game for me, I'll buy it just for him.

Visually the change is nice though, although some characters like Roy and Corrin look strangely almost exactly like their smash 4 counterparts.
I wasn't holding out for a new game. Given how close it was to the finish of updates for Smash 4, it was bound to reuse assets from Smash 4.

I personally think it's a better version of Smash 4's gameplay. Visually and audio wise the game is fantastic, and most of the changes make the game less defensive in nature. This causes a more punish-heavy meta.
True, but the question is how aggressive does the meta become? I don't know enough right now to say how much pace is increased, but it doesn't look like momentum still carries over. It still just looks slow overall. Especially the neutral.

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
Dixie doesn't really work as an echo since she can't do his tail attacks or use his peanuts or jetpack, in general dixie is very different in everything but body type, I feel his moveset as a whole wouldn't translate well to her. The problem with impa is that her options for a design are pretty much just skyward sword and hyrule warriors, the SS proportions don't match up and HW impa doesn't fight like sheik would. There's ocarina of time impa but does anybody really like that design lol.
I agree to an extent. But as I said, Dixie is similar in build to Diddy. And as for Impa, she's a Sheikah. The mutual origin with Sheik (literally a clipped version of Sheikah) makes it a potentiality.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Well Meowth was shown during the stream. Yeah it pretty much is between Mimikyu, Lycanroc, Incenaroar and Decidueye as far as Pokemon newcomers go. (If we get any)
I wouldn't rule out Gardevoir and Zeraora, they have a chance to be newcomers.

Zelda is so cute!!!! I love how Sakurai finally decided to let Zelda characters be based on different Zelda games instead of just one or two Zelda games.

Melee
:linkmelee::sheikmelee::zeldamelee::younglinkmelee::ganondorfmelee: = Ocarina of Time

Brawl and SSB4
:link2::sheik::zelda::ganondorf: = Twilight Princess
:toonlink: = The Wind Waker

Ultimate
:4link::4sheik: = Breath of the Wild
:younglinkmelee::4ganondorf: = Ocarina of Time 3D
:4zelda: = A Link Between Worlds
:4tlink: = The Wind Waker HD

Finally. No more Twilight Princess. But I wish SSB4 had Link and Zelda based on Skyward Sword. :ohwell:

I can't get over how cute Zelda looks! I love that haircut... almost reminds me of the 1980s and early 1990s for some reason.
I was hoping for Skyward Sword Zelda, but ALBW Zelda looks great too and is definitely a second pick.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I wouldn't rule out Gardevoir and Zeraora, they have a chance to be newcomers.

I was hoping for Skyward Sword Zelda, but ALBW Zelda looks great too and is definitely a second pick.
Oh yeah, forgot about Zeraora and Gardevoir hasn't been shown yet? I see.

Zoa

Smash Ace
This was likely intentional, since Smash for Wii U was supposed to be the system seller for the Wii U and obviously did not. The engine re-use also gave them a lot more time to refine animations and mechanics this time around, instead of having to spend a significant amount of time building yet another engine. There are a ton of new animations this time around compared to Brawl>Wii U.
Yeah. I figured it would happen given how close the game's release is to the finish of Wii U's updates. Wasn't holding out for much, but still unimpressed overall with the changes.

OldmanKarp

Smash Cadet
Tournament was fun to watch. I'm more interested in the mechanics though. So far, we have directional airdodging, but crap wavelanding, and no wavedashing, but faster gameplay and much better dash dancing than in smash 4.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Were any of the Echo Fighters choosable?

More importantly, are they simply just reskins with new taunts or actually different characters ala Smash 4 Lucina? This is important.
No Echo Fighters were available, no. Same 30 as the tourney. Ridley and Inkling were though, so I did try those two as well as Mega Man.

I'll give a full write up tonight.

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Anyone else just thoroughly unimpressed with the game so far? It seems like barely anything has changed from Smash 4, and I don't like how it plays at all...
I don't know what you could possibly want besides Wavedashing.

The knock-back looks completely different, all the veterans seem to have some touch up, directional air dodges are back, power shielding is completely different, the game looks noticeably faster, more damage happens in 1v1s, etc. We don't even have the game yet so their could be more intricacies we aren't aware of yet. If you are a competitive player you should be well aware that this is not Smash 4, not even close. If you aren't and you still can't see any difference between games then I don't think you would even if they showed Street Fighter game play. I hate to be rude but this game is way different from 4 and it just looks like a case of ludicrous expectations.

Does the knockback look clunky to anyone else (like the acceleration and deceleration) or is that just me?
It looks really weird. I'm itching to test it personally.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I agree to an extent. But as I said, Dixie is similar in build to Diddy. And as for Impa, she's a Sheikah. The mutual origin with Sheik (literally a clipped version of Sheikah) makes it a potentiality.
But the point of echo characters is that they're glorified alternate costumes, they have the same attacks and stuff, in that regard Dixie simply cannot work, she'd have to be an actual clone character. Impa's proportions simply don't fit sheik so she wouldn't really work either.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team

How can you be the head of the balance team in Smash 4 and not know Bayonetta's bread and butter combos? Is this real? Did he really not know? I feel so confused right now lol.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

How can you be the head of the balance team in Smash 4 and not know Bayonetta's bread and butter combos? Is this real? Did he really not know? I feel so confused right now lol.
4 more years of Bayo, boyzzzzzzzzz

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I understand Sakurai said "expect less newcomers" but personally I'm fine with that. I'm loving the newcomer cast so far, and from here it can only get better.

Plus there's also DLC to consider. Even if we end up with seven characters again, that's still seven new characters.

I love this game!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
yeah but it doesn't match up with Zelda anymore, and if they're gonna not have her match they should've just used the canon design instead tbh
I like that Sheik and Zelda are now from two different Zelda games. It reinforces the fact Sheik and Zelda no longer transform into each other.

Yeah, Sheik wasn't in BOTW but her outfit was... so I think that outfit is canonical.

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965
Sakurai: I seen a few bugs during the tournament
Me: Was Bayonetta most of them?

Last edited:

StrangeMann

Smash Ace

Pretty sure he knew of Bayo's smash 5 combos, but I'm not sure if he understands how oppressive they can be as a large hitbox character (Ridley, Bowser, DK), in a game where Air dodging (the only viable escape option) was nerfed so heavily.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Anyone have video of Sakurai shaking his head at the Bayo combo? (Not sure if that really happened or not)

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Wooh! The Invitational was great!
The look of Smash Ultimate looks AMAZING, it’s so clean, and DAISY!? I love it already!!! It seems that the source that leaked Simon was wrong because he wasn’t revealed at E3. Everything else was right.

You know I think what Sakurai did was that since there was really a lot of characters from the end of the Wii U/3DS era, he decided to make an ultimate roster and have the characters return as a top priority.

Here’s something, after Sakurai said, “We hope you weren’t expecting alot of newcomers like last time” how many new characters do you think will join?

Last edited:

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
Just a quick note while watching the invitational. Anyone else notice the obscene knockback speed? When compared with the knockback distance, it doesn't look quite right. Also, it's definitely gonna affect the combo game. Hopefully this isn't a permanent thing.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Anyone have video of Sakurai shaking his head at the Bayo combo? (Not sure if that really happened or not)
Well Bear was sitting next to him and Bear wouldn't bull**** us about it. However the head shake could've been directed at the crowd booing rather than the combo.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Watching the twitch chat freak out because its offline when they expected something is really funny actually.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
For those following the Verg leak, keep in mind he didn't say Simon would be at e3 at all. Nor the Minecraft content.

That means the leak is neither confirmed nor disconfirmed at this time.

Zoa

Smash Ace
I don't know what you could possibly want besides Wavedashing.

The knock-back looks completely different, all the veterans seem to have some touch up, directional air dodges are back, power shielding is completely different, the game looks noticeably faster, more damage happens in 1v1s, etc. We don't even have the game yet so their could be more intricacies we aren't aware of yet. If you are a competitive player you should be well aware that this is not Smash 4, not even close. If you aren't and you still can't see any difference between games then I don't think you would even if they showed Street Fighter game play. I hate to be rude but this game is way different from 4 and it just looks like a case of ludicrous expectations.
-_-

I'm fully aware of how each game's mechanic's work. I'm not ignorant to how Smash works. How exactly are power shields different? We still don't know the frame data. They still look like they come out on frame three, and have seven frames of end lag for putting away shield. I have been a competitive player, but don't like Smash 4. We got the first look of the game, all for a couple of hours, with none of us knowing absolutely anything about frame data. And no hands on experience. You're attacking me based off something completely anecdotal, and no statistics to back your claims.

I'm fully aware the meta can shift towards a more punish based one given some of the changes. I intend on keeping up with it, but so far everything I do see isn't enough to warrant a change in mindset. It still looks slow. Recoveries across the board, from what I have seen are strong. Momentum doesn't look like it carries over either. I saw all of one instance of ZeRo dash dancing against MKLeo, and it could be in for all I know, but that could have been frame perfect pivots for all I know. If it does, then that's awesome. Something I wanted.

Also wavedashing seems rather meh for anyone wanting to know.
https://twitter.com/PG_SamuraiPanda/status/1006622730404311040

Attachments

Nani?

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4613-7779-1616
Switch FC
SW 2020-9361-5549
The look of Smash Ultimate looks AMAZING, it’s so clean, I love it already!!!

You know I think what Sakurai did was that since there was really a lot of characters from the end of the Wii U/3DS era, he decided to make an ultimate roster and have the characters return as a top priority.

Here’s something, after Sakurai said, “We hope you weren’t expecting alot of newcomers like last time” how many character do you think will join?
The hype-train was going full force, my friend. (plz dont kill me)

As for characters, I'm hoping we get at least 5 new ones including the already revealed ones.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Looks like we didn't get any more newcomers at the invitational. Maybe we'll get 1 more newcomer over the next days of E3?

Last edited:

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
The look of Smash Ultimate looks AMAZING, it’s so clean, and DAISY!? I love it already!!! It seems that the source that leaked Simon was wrong because he wasn’t revealed at E3. Everything else was right.

Here’s something, after Sakurai said, “We hope you weren’t expecting alot of newcomers like last time” how many new characters do you think will join?
After hearing that, I'm expecting 4 to 7 more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom