• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Talking about the transformation mechanic...If Rex and Pyra get in at some point I don't know how they'd work without one. You can't just leave Mythra out, and leaving her as a Final Smash would upset people.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Wait, all I see is placeholders, why are people assuming one is AC?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yeah it's Mario, Yoshi, Bowser, Marth, Lucina, Roy. I feel like the reason I tend to like cartoony characters over anime is that they look better even at lower resolution. Mario's silhoutte is easier to see than Marth's. So I wanted to see if it was easier to see certain characters when blurred.

But I realized it wasn't really fair- I'd need to make sure every picture was the exact same size and resolution before comparing. So I just made it for fun.
It's also not fair since you give Mario three characters with different species. Make the same with Xenoblade and results would be closer.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Animal crossing switch has allegedly leaked on amazon
Yes please! I need this!

I am really enjoying Pocket Camp a lot. I hope Animal Crossing Switch has many features from Pocket Camp.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
So, I thought of an interesting challenge. I grabbed pictures of different Smash characters, tried to get them to the same size, and applied the same amount of blur to each one. How many of these can you guess, and which ones are the easiest? (This is not proving anything, just something interesting I thought about during a discussion earlier in the thread)
View attachment 147653

Hmm let's see :4mario::4yoshi::4bowser::4marth::4lucina:and:4myfriends:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I plan on making a Geno analysis before tomorrow's Nintendo Direct, hopefully by tonight. It will cost me missing the Ubisoft conference though. I am not going to miss out on Square Enix's stream though, I need that KH3 info live.

He will look like an anime character and have a sword.

and his Final Smash is a Landmaster.
And Sakurai will be more OP than Brawl Meta Knight and pre-patch Bayonetta combined. :)
-Dr Mario should be a costume,
But.... why though? Yeah, he's a clone of Mario, but unlike Lucina and Dark Pit, he has many significant differences from his source character (including having two completely different moves, which is on it's own enough to justify a separate slot), and with how easy it is to make him, it would just be less content for the player with no benefits whatsoever.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I'd take Steenee over Eevee any day.
They're both trash picks imo. Eevee is popular but we have 4 gen wunners already. Give us something interesting instead.

Steenee doesn't even deserve this sentence, let alone a second one.

>one of the placeholders may be a new F-Zero game
About as likely as one of them being Halo 6

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
It's also not fair since you give Mario three characters with different species. Make the same with Xenoblade and results would be closer.
Sure but that was part of my initial point. I can already barely tell the difference between Marth and Lucina, and can't imagine if they were both on SSB64. In my personal opinion, the anime style characters suffer more when in bad graphics. In fact, I believe a big part of Mario's design came from the graphical limitations, and NIntendo made his features so exaggerated that he still looked "good" when viewed with a very low polygon count.

Of course, this personal opinion of mine does not mean Smash shouldn't have anime style characters. But I think it's why myself and others prefer cartoony characters. Their silhouttes are easier to see on the battlefield when zoomed out, and their bright colors are more appealing visually to me. :)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
For Nintendo at E3 2018 tomorrow, how do I make a picture-in-picture reaction video?

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
But.... why though? Yeah, he's a clone of Mario, but unlike Lucina and Dark Pit, he has many significant differences from his source character (including having two completely different moves, which is on it's own enough to justify a separate slot), and with how easy it is to make him, it would just be less content for the player with no benefits whatsoever.
Ahahahahahahahaha no. Mario can be buffed with Doc’s properties, it would a waste not to make him an alt.
Not saying that his cut would guarantee a free slot but it would be for the better regardless.

Ahahahahahahahaha no. Mario can be buffed with Doc’s properties, it would a waste not to make him an alt.
Not saying that his cut would guarantee a free slot but it would be for the better regardless.
Ahahahahahahahaha no.

Yeah, it wouldn't guarantee a free slot at all, it apparently took much less time to make all 3 clones combined than one unique character. Making Mario play just like Doc, you say? Simple, you alienate the people who liked Mario in the previous game. And plus, many people do like playing the Doc much more than normal Mario (myself included; he's my co-main in Smash 4), so it would not be for the better at all, especially when it takes barely any time at all, so to say it's "for the better" is wrong on so many levels. (and for that matter, why should Doc be made an alt, and not, say, Dark Pit or Lucina? None of them should become alts but still)

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Sure but that was part of my initial point. I can already barely tell the difference between Marth and Lucina, and can't imagine if they were both on SSB64. In my personal opinion, the anime style characters suffer more when in bad graphics. In fact, I believe a big part of Mario's design came from the graphical limitations, and NIntendo made his features so exaggerated that he still looked "good" when viewed with a very low polygon count.

Of course, this personal opinion of mine does not mean Smash shouldn't have anime style characters. But I think it's why myself and others prefer cartoony characters. Their silhouttes are easier to see on the battlefield when zoomed out, and their bright colors are more appealing visually to me. :)
I can definitely see the appeal of cartoony fighters. But I still think comparing Lucina with Marth is weird in this context, because she is designed to look like Marth. Like, you know, Mario and Luigi. Or Koopalings. Though differentiating between Fire Emblem characters is definitely harder than Mario ones in Smash.

However, it's different with Palutena and Shulk, or Bayonetta and Ryu, characters from different series. I'm pushing it but I'm mainly a JRPG fan and I can't help but impressed by character designs in Xenoblade and Fire Emblem. Therefore, I'm not fond of people (not you, of course) just writing them off with "anime" characters when they are not even really anime style (they are more seinen, if anything) and there are a lot of games out there with much worse animesque designs.

Sorry for the wall of text.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Honestly anyone who thinks people would be alright with Dr. Mario as an alt is kidding themselves. One of the central reasons Dr. Mario was upgraded from an alt to a clone in Smash 4 was so Sakurai could appeal to the Melee fanbase. Why would he deliberately go back on them and make Dr. Mario an alt for this game?

Plus, by making him an alt, you're removing the few differences he does have. Hell, Dr. Mario can't even have the ****ing MEGAVITAMINS because, according to Sakurai, even the tiniest of differences in moveset is grounds for separation. He'd still be fire-throwing, F.L.U.D.D.-squirting, forward aerial-spiking Mario with a doctor's coat.

And you really expect people who played as Dr. Mario in the past to be happy with that?

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I can definitely see the appeal of cartoony fighters. But I still think comparing Lucina with Marth is weird in this context, because she is designed to look like Marth. Like, you know, Mario and Luigi. Or Koopalings. Though differentiating between Fire Emblem characters is definitely harder than Mario ones in Smash.

However, it's different with Palutena and Shulk, or Bayonetta and Ryu, characters from different series. I'm pushing it but I'm mainly a JRPG fan and I can't help but impressed by character designs in Xenoblade and Fire Emblem. Therefore, I'm not fond of people (not you, of course) just writing them off with "anime" characters when they are not even really anime style (they are more seinen, if anything) and there are a lot of games out there with much worse animesque designs.

Sorry for the wall of text.
That's fair. I've been playing Smash Bros since 1999 (I think I played right after it was released) so the franchise has definitely changed a lot. And I think one of the things that's changed is the style. So I think the "realistic" characters make some people worried. But it's gone back and forth, regarding style.

SSB64- Very cartoony
Melee - More realistic
Brawl - Weird realistic/cartoony mix
Sm4sh - Very cartoony

As long as the characters are fun, I don't really mind though. :)

Dee Dude

3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
....I genuinely didn’t think people cared about Doc that much.

Here’s a better idea, how about Sakurai stops appealing to the Melee fanbase?

And if you’re worried about alienating Dr. Mario fans then we shouldn’t worry Falcondorf mains either.

Last edited:

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
For me, it's not that I have anything against "anime"/realistic characters. In fact, I love the contrasting franchises that meet in Smash!

But if you're asking me which has more potential to be interesting between a normally-proportioned person with a sword and a giant fire-breathing turtle-dragon, the later wins every time. I want more unrealistic characters because it usually leads to interesting ideas.

Here’s a better idea, how about Sakurai stops appealing to the Melee fanbase?

And if you’re worried about alienating Dr. Mario fans then we shouldn’t worry Falcondorf mains either.
Or maybe, genius, JUST MAYBE, Sakurai realized making him an alt would be a bad idea because some people liked how he played? And if adding one little veteran (and one who was added at the VERY LAST MINUTE, no less) is what you call appealing to the Melee fanbase and it's such an evil and ungodly thing to do that, then.... wow, I don't know what to ****ing say. Then again, the fact that we're having this conversion in the first place is ****ing unbelievable, and I don't want to get another infraction, so I'll leave it at that.

(And for the record, I don't want Ganondorf changed. How about not putting words in my mouth next time?).

Last edited by a moderator:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Smash Ganondorf is very satisfying based on his raw power. I do feel bad for fans of his that want a genuine representation of his character, but at this point Smash Ganondorf and actual Ganondorf are 2 separate characters.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Warlock Punch is way too iconic. It is a synonym of disrespect. If one day Ganon gets decloned I hope he keeps it at least as a Smash Attack or Down Special.

Dee Dude

3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Or maybe, genius, JUST MAYBE, Sakurai realized making him an alt would be a bad idea because some people liked how he played? And if adding one little veteran is what you call appealing to the Melee fanbase, then.... wow, I don't know what to ****ing say. Then again, the fact that we're having this conversion in the first place is ****ing unbelievable, and I don't want to get another infraction, so I'll leave it at that.

(And for the record, I don't want Ganondorf changed. How about not putting words in my mouth next time?).
Dude, relax. We’re not fighting.

And I wasn’t putting words in your mouth, I was just using him as a counterargument.

I’m just saying that people don’t want another Mario in the roster and why they prefer him as a costume for obvious reasons, but if mains want to keep him and not get alienated then whatever, that’s fine.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Or maybe, genius, JUST MAYBE, Sakurai realized making him an alt would be a bad idea because some people liked how he played? And if adding one little veteran (and one who was added at the VERY LAST MINUTE, no less) is what you call appealing to the Melee fanbase, then.... wow, I don't know what to ****ing say. Then again, the fact that we're having this conversion in the first place is ****ing unbelievable, and I don't want to get another infraction, so I'll leave it at that.

Dude, just pointing it is not a maybe. Sakurai actually said he put doc to appeal to Melee fans.

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123
Smash Ganondorf is very satisfying based on his raw power. I do feel bad for fans of his that want a genuine representation of his character, but at this point Smash Ganondorf and actual Ganondorf are 2 separate characters.
I still love him the way he his. =(
Although if they could, like, rework him and keep his current moveset at the same time I would be really happy.
Some people may call be a "betrayer of the glorious Ganondorf fandom", but if they reworked Ganondorf but also released a new character with his exact same moveset, let's say, for example, Twilight Ganondorf or Blood Falcon from F-Zero, that would be super.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
What stages are we thinking we'll see tomorrow? We never talk about that.

I'm assuming New Donk City, BotW Great Plateau, and a Splatoon stage to name a few. Probably Battlefield as well.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
So, how will you guys be watching tomorrows livestream? Will you be watching the stream of a commentator or youtuber you like (someone like Etika), or just the vanilla Nintendo stream? Just curious as to how you guys plan on experiencing it.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
A character, is a character, is a character. As long as they have interesting moves, specials, and mechanics it doesn't bother me whether they're anime or realistic having the two come together in one system makes it all that more fun. I welcome the contrasts between the two anytime.

Last edited:
Dude, relax. We’re not fighting.

And I wasn’t putting words in your mouth, I was just using him as a counterargument.

I’m just saying that people don’t want another Mario in the roster and why they prefer him as a costume for obvious reasons, but if mains want to keep him and not get alienated then whatever, that’s fine.
(breathes a bit)

Okay, understandable enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom