• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeox

Smash Champion
No, though I understand the confusion. While all rhyming is assonance, not all assonance is rhyme. In order for words in English to be considered "rhyming," the "stressed vowel sound in both words must be identical, as well as any subsequent sounds."

This makes "cat" and "hat" rhymes, but not "cat" and "cap".
I see, that's the biggest problem I have with english and why I am better writing that actually talking it, because of the words that write similar but are pronounced totally different.
Well, you always learn something new, now, with this new knowledge, I will become the BEST poet in the world! and then the world will be MINE, ALL MINE! MUAH HAH HAH HAH HAH!!!
but you all didn't read anything about trying to dominate the world.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
View attachment 147470
Okay buckaroos. Assume that this roster is real and that Daruk is a stand in for your choice of the BotW Champions. How would you react?
Dixie is enough for me to enjoy.
But then there is C.Toad, Simon, Chorus Kids, Takamaru. And it keeps Cloud, Wolf and ICs into Smash.
Great, great roster it is.

(Not a fan of Elma and Isabelle, but they don't destroy the roster)

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Right. Rhyming is traditionally defined as both assonance AND consonance together.

However, many poems and works have taken heavy creative liberties with this.
Definitely.

Zeox Zeox There are many types of "rhymes" in English. Perfect rhymes, imperfect rhymes, masculine rhymes, feminine rhymes, etc. Typically, when a person refers to "rhymes" in everyday usage, they actually mean perfect rhymes. Assonance is kinda a rhyme type, but it would be called a "slant rhyme" in that case.

D

Deleted member

View attachment 147470
Okay buckaroos. Assume that this roster is real and that Daruk is a stand in for your choice of the BotW Champions. How would you react?
Honestly, I would be happy with Daruk.
Also I like it because it has Snake and you did not cut Cloud. It should have Bandanna Dee and Spring Man like what Swampasaur said though.
I know this is my second reply, but I wanted to go in more depth with it. I would like it. :)
Okay because I full of confidence if Decidueye gets into smash I'll post a pick of me eating my hat
You better stay true to this. :troll:

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
Yuri Kozukata, Luigi, and Pacman teaming up to hunt down Decidueye (or Mimikyu) is my pipe dream crossover for a story mode.
Wait, doesn't Fatal Frame use a camera to deal with ghosts? I can see whoever may be in to represent that series team up with Luigi and his Poltergeist vacuum in an Adventure mode if there was one. LOL
Plot twist, she traps Mario in a picture.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
View attachment 147470
Captain Toad - Not hyped for him but wouldn't mind.
Dixie Kong - This would be cool to see.
BOTW Champion - they're all kinda lame; I like BOTW but don't think anyone from it would make an interesting character.
Ridley - Hype overload.
Takamaru - disappointed, honestly.
Ice Climbers - Very happy to see an old main return.
Celica - I've never played a game with this person and wouldn't care.
Wolf - Not hugely hyped for him unless he gets a moveset overhaul to make him interesting.
Decidueye - Oh, cool. I'd give him a go.
Isabelle - Not an AC man.
Elma - See Celica.
Chorus Kids - See Elma/Celica though not anime so a less dislikeable artstyle.
Snake - Awesome!
Simon - Would also be pretty cool to see.

As an overall roster it's always a difficult thing. It doesn't contain some of my preferred choices for newcomers - K Rool, Ganon, Waluigi - and has broad swathes of characters I'm too old and cranky to care about at all, but it does contain several characters I'd be legitimately excited to see, which is already a step up from the previous game.

I guess on a subjective level this wouldn't be my ideal roster, but it certainly contains elements that I really like, and I think contains a broad enough diversity to give most people something to get excited about, which probably means it's actually a good roster.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Regarding Pokemon likelihood, I rank them as follows:

20%: Lycanroc, Mimikyu

15%: Decidueye

10%: Bewear, Incineroar

7.5%: Rowlet, Squirtle

>5%: Pichu, Alolan Ninetales, Nihilego, Tapu Koko, Ivysaur, Meowth, Eevee, Sceptile
Dude ... How can Ivysaur be lower than Squirtle? Don't you know how much riot it would be if Squirtle came back WITHOUT Ivysaur !?!?

D

Deleted member

My guess is that E3 will be between Melee and Smash 4. It will not be the competitive game like Melee, but it will not be floaty like Brawl. It could be a bit more competitive than Smash 4, IDK.
Real talk though, I only put that Ridley there because I couldn't find a better icon. I'm accepting donations. :p
Your sins are forgiven.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
99% satisfied because of Toad, Dixie Kong, Decidueye, and Simon Belmont in addition to :4littlemac::4pikachu::4jigglypuff::4mewtwo::4ness::4lucas::4villager::4rob::4duckhunt::4pacman::4megaman::4ryu: and all other veterans returning. 1% not satisfied because there's still a hole in my heart because it's still missing Meowth. :052:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
View attachment 147470
It's got Inklings, Ridley, Dixie, Wolf, Chorus Kids, and a Champion, so those additions alone would make this leagues better for me than Smash 4's roster.

Little disappointed with the lack of a Kirby character and Decidueye, but both are things I could easily get over.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
I have figured out the identity of who "Board Game" is referring to.....

Board James!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oh and for those who were sad about the lack of Spring Man, the hypothetical roster was a pre-DLC roster. I was just banking on Spring Man being DLC. :p

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Everyone in this thread right now.

Only 3 days left people, just try to be patient.
. . .
Emphasis on the "try" part.
*sigh* Fine. Oh hey I know what will pass the time turning you into chocolate! A nice meal helps time to fly :D

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Dude ... How can Ivysaur be lower than Squirtle? Don't you know how much riot it would be if Squirtle came back WITHOUT Ivysaur !?!?
Popularity, basically. I'd argue that more people would have requested for Squirtle to come back in the Smash ballot than Ivysaur. Like, significantly so. Squirtle's popularity is far beyond Ivysaur's or even Bulbasaur's.
I’ve been a little overwhelmed today; my roster video is nearing 15,000 views.
Congrats!
Oh and for those who were sad about the lack of Spring Man, the hypothetical roster was a pre-DLC roster. I was just banking on Spring Man being DLC. :p
Same. I'm also expecting Rex as DLC and Elma as base, so you have my approval there.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
You do know that Kojima is no longer with Konami. He doesn't have any rights to Snake, Simon, or any other Konami character anymore.
When did I say that? People keep claiming that the Kojima incident would prevent Snake from coming back out of a belief that Sakurai would spite Konami and deny them representation in Smash as some form of "revenge", yet there's nothing that suggests Sakurai would do that and I pointed out how it's moot a point when Sakurai has Kojima's blessing to bring back Snake anyway if it was actually an issue to Sakurai.

Getting Konami characters is simply going to come down to a matter of Konami and Nintendo being able to work out the licensing, which is probably not so unlikely when Konami has been more supportive of Nintendo in the Switch era than they were back in 2012 when the Smash 4 roster got decided.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
He's in a bundle with Squirtle and Ivysaur, right?
Popularity, basically. I'd argue that more people would have requested for Squirtle to come back in the Smash ballot than Ivysaur. Like, significantly so. Squirtle's popularity is far beyond Ivysaur's or even Bulbasaur's.
Squirtle isn't coming back without Ivysaur and the ballot won't change that because it's not like you could vote for two characters at once anyways and people who want one of Squirtle or Ivysaur obviously wouldn't mind the other one coming back.

Getting Squirtle or Ivysaur alone would be like getting a solo Pyra. Or a solo Rex. :^(

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
That's your opinion, which you are entitled to have, but I must say that I highly disagree.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I told myself I wasn't going to come back here and now, here I am.

2 days, 16 hours, 12 minutes remain.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Squirtle isn't coming back without Ivysaur and the ballot won't change that because it's not like you could vote for two characters at once anyways and people who want one of Squirtle or Ivysaur obviously wouldn't mind the other one coming back.

Getting Squirtle or Ivysaur alone would be like getting a solo Pyra. Or a solo Rex. :^(
I mean, even as someone who would absolutely LOVE to have Ivysaur back (Bulbasaur will always be my favorite Kanto starter), I really don't see him happening this time around I'm afraid. :/

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

I'd argue that, if Sakurai's going to bring a cut Pokemon back, he would still want to include a new Pokemon as well. At that point, it's a matter of having three more unique Pokemon characters for this game than Smash 4, which I honestly just don't see happening.

Mind, this is Pre-DLC I'm talking about also. I could see Ivysaur coming back as DLC if Squirtle made it in base. But, regardless, I'm not really expecting either of them to return.
That's your opinion, which you are entitled to have, but I must say that I highly disagree.
Very fair.

Last edited:

Awakining

Smash Apprentice
View attachment 147470
Entirely disappointed. This roster includes only a single character which I would be excited (or even happy) for, along with almost all of my least favorite newcomer options. Although I would be grateful to have even a single character who I like as much as Simon included, the thought of paying even more for the characters I would consider purchasing the base game for puts an extremely sour taste in my mouth. Furthermore, this leaves nearly all of my favorite franchises underrepresented, in my opinion, a problem which would likely remain bothersome throughout the game's life cycle due to the fact that they aren't prime DLC material due to obscurity or "irrelevancy," along other reasons.

Although, I would be pretty happy if Wario was closer to Wario Land and Ganondorf had a canonical appearance, which I hope the updated CSS icons would indicate.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Honestly, Squirtle could conceivably come back without Ivysaur but not visa versa.

And as someone who like playing Ivysaur most of all, this really bums me out.

Side topic: what did you think of EA's E3? I thought it was super safe and dull but nothing cripplingly cringe inducingly bad about it.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
honestly i don't see any gen 7 having a chance, people are only expecting them because they're new and each game Pokemon's gotten a new character. Is it going to get a new character in Smash 6? 7? 8? 9? 10? Just because it got one the last games? for pokemon all I see is SquirtIvysaur or nothing

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Honestly, Squirtle could conceivably come back without Ivysaur but not visa versa.

Side topic: what did you think of EA's E3? I thought it was super safe and dull but nothing cripplingly cringe inducingly bad about it.
Careful talking about EA's E3 you don't want to get in trouble, but it was alright I'm only interested in Anthem.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112

It says to me that Bioware is the next company on the EA chopping Block.

And so far only 2 and a 1/2 days left. Almost there guys.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Honestly, I really can't envision Squirtle coming back without Ivysaur and vice versa, they're a package deal at this point. Ivysaur is also significantly more interesting as a character imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom