• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I don’t believe in that rule either. Talk about limiting.

If we eventually get all 18 types in one roster, does that mean no more Pokémon newcomers ever? Or do we have to cut some Pokémon to add new Pokémon with the same types?

:4pikachu: = no more Electric type Pokémon newcomers
:squirtle: = no more Water type Pokémon newcomers
:4greninja: = cut Squirtle to make room for Greninja because we must have only one Water type Pokémon
While I don't necessarily agree that typing decides what newcomers get in, we'd have to go through few Pokemon newcomers to represent all types. With where we are at now, assuming every new Pokemon is a dual type (which most likely won't happen) we would need 4 more Pokemon. That's a total of 10 Pokemon characters on the roster. At that point I think the bigger issue would be how big Smash's roster on a whole is lol.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Out of all the possible Pokemon newcomers I expect to see Decidueye, but as a concept ghost owl just doesn't speak to me in a way that bodybuilder mosquito does.

?????????????

Smash Master
If we eventually get all 18 types in one roster, does that mean no more Pokémon newcomers ever?
Boy, ALL 18 types? ...I guess we've already seen 12 (?), if you count Ivysaur. If they're dual type, it'd theoretically only take a few more. Maybe by Smash 6, 7, or 8, that could be a reality...assuming they don't add more types.

Oh, I guess if you count Mega Charizard, that's 13.

Last edited:

RustyRemains

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-1666-4551-3124
Speaking of all 18 types in the game, who do you guys think would be the best representation for each type? Or at least a few of your favourite types you'd love to see in Smash

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Decideueye isn't the Pokemon company's focus in 7th gen, never was.

And we KNOW the advertised guy= in Smash

So why do people think its chances are even minimal?
Decidueye was promoted, though. In addition to being chosen for Pokkén over all other Alola Pokémon, it had a big presence in USUM's promotional art. It appeared next to one of the main protagonists on the story poster (for reference, Incineroar was beside Hau, the rival) and was the protagonist's Pokémon on the Ultra Megalopolis promotional art.

Granted, there was one major piece where Decidueye wasn't the starter of choice, that being the Rainbow Rocket promo Art which had Incineroar instead. Even still though, with its presence in marketing materials, it's completely wrong to say Decidueye was never one of the Pokémon GameFreak was focusing on.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
What if Ditto was a character that used transform to turn into other Pokemon for attacks.

Seriously just imagine the reveal trailer and how trollish it could be.
What if Ditto could become every and any single thing that’s in Smash?

?????????????

Smash Master
Speaking of all 18 types in the game, who do you guys think would be the best representation for each type? Or at least a few of your favourite types you'd love to see in Smash
Hm...just going by the types we haven't seen...

Ground: Krookodile
Bug: Buzzwole
Ice: Weavile
Rock: Lycanroc
Ghost: ...Lots. Decidueye, Mimikyu, Gengar...
Dragon (if Mega Charizard doesn't count): Dragonite or Garchomp (guess he could also count for Ground....)

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Decidueye was promoted, though. In addition to being chosen for Pokkén over all other Alola Pokémon, it had a big presence in USUM's promotional art. It appeared next to one of the main protagonists on the story poster (for reference, Incineroar was beside Hau, the rival) and was the protagonist's Pokémon on the Ultra Megalopolis promotional art.

Granted, there was one major piece where Decidueye wasn't the starter of choice, that being the Rainbow Rocket promo Art which had Incineroar instead. Even still though, with its presence in marketing materials, it's completely wrong to say Decidueye was never one of the Pokémon GameFreak was focusing on.
Honestly, I'm not seeing anything special for Decidueye aside from the standard promotion that all starters get. Appearing on promotional artwork for a Sun and Moon game isn't too big of an accomplishment.

Pokken is really the only notable attention it's gotten, but even then that wasn't Game Freak promoting it, as Namco was responsible for most of the roster additions (hence Dark Mewtwo and non-fighting types being added later in development). They even went as far as to let fans vote for Pokemon they wanted to see.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Haven't been able to find any other Pokemon from the popularity poll in Japan, but I did find something that's probably far more likely to influence Sakurai's decision.

https://twitter.com/Gonzo81503435/status/995382195660476418

Apparently, the staff of the Sun and Moon games revealed their favorite Pokemon a few weeks ago. Here's what they said.

Masuda (producer and composer; member of GF board of directors) - Incineroar
Ohmori (director of Sun and Moon) - Primarina
Iwao (director of Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon) - Dusk Lycanroc

So what are your thoughts? Think this could possibly influence Sakurai's choice for the next newcomer?
Objectviely speaking

Incineroar based on personality, theme , and advertisement and enviably to be the 'Charizard' of Ash's S/M team makes him very possibly for smash

Based on moves made by the company Mimikyu would be ahead or equal to it.

Lycanroc is likely but to put an objective spin on a subjective statement that ????????????? ????????????? made a awhile back. What is Lycanroc other than a family of wolves based on the times of day? What would they bring other than projectiles and counters? I can not say, while the other two are a wrestler and a freaky ghost both with huge move pools and a lot of nonsense you can draw from to make a move set out of . Wood Hammer could come in the form of Mimikyu turning its tail into a cartoon mallet or Inceniroar could just spawn a table (like in the concept art) and whack people. What I'm saying is they have more personality and varied abilities beyond just being well a rock dog...

Last edited:

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
I too have a particular interest in Buzzwole, as its Beast Boost ability could be utilized as a new mechanic. But more people seem to be on the Decidueye, Mimikyu, and Dusk Form Lycanroc bandwagons. I can't really envision Mimikyu making the cut, and the only Lycanroc form that's bipedal is the Midnight Form, but it's far less popular overall.
I think Buzzwole or Incineroar would be cool because they have so much personality. Marshadow has a cool design but he'll be a Pokeball probably.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Mimikyu, Litten and Poplio are in the game. as assits but still.

That being said Inceniroar Mimikyu and even Lycanroc have more than the owl.

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
Honestly, I'm not seeing anything special for Decidueye aside from the standard promotion that all starters get. Appearing on promotional artwork for a Sun and Moon game isn't too big of an accomplishment.

Pokken is really the only notable attention it's gotten, but even then that wasn't Game Freak promoting it, as Namco was responsible for most of the roster additions (hence Dark Mewtwo and non-fighting types being added later in development). They even went as far as to let fans vote for Pokemon they wanted to see.
Okay, but ALL starters get promotion. They're all special.

I don't always want to see the absolute, most popular Pokemon be the one that always gets into Smash Bros. because it sacrifices variety and other factors.

I went on a rant about this the other day with Sceptile; it's my favorite Pokemon, and because of it, I have always picked Grass in Pokemon from then on out. But even back then, BLAZIKEN was always the popular one. So I just have to accept Charizard, Blaziken, and Incineroar get all the love and Grass gets left in the dust? Fire is just fated to be the one that's always more promoted?

Same for Meowth; another great Pokemon I've always wanted in Smash Bros. because of it's large role. But, despite that, it always loses out because of "popularity."

...it's just my own beef.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Yeah, but my point was he still got promoted. Standard starter promotion or otherwise, he got promoted, so to say he didn't is an objective falsehood.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
The closer the Nintendo e3 direct is, the more I'm anxious about maybe "playable Ridley" in the leak meaning some stupid "play as the boss mode"...

Gotta BELIEEEVEEE.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Why can't you see Mimikyu in? It receives lots of attention from the Pokemon company and you just need to take one look at the anime to get a moveset out of it.
I guess I just see Mimikyu being more suited for the Poke Ball Pokemon or Smash Run enemy role.

If Mimikyu was a Smash Run enemy, you'd have to break its disguise before dealing any real damage. However, you'd also have to stay clear of Shadow Claw, which becomes more lethal after Mimikyu's disguise breaks. Fortunately, Mimikyu is no Darknut (or any other enemy who's impervious to flinching), so it can flinch and be grabbed, but it's also a rather resilient adversary.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Interesting. Namco listens to the Pokémon fans more than Game Freak or the Pokémon Company do.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The closer the Nintendo e3 direct is, the more I'm anxious about maybe "playable Ridley" in the leak meaning some stupid "play as the boss mode"...

Gotta BELIEEEVEEE.
Well sadly, that leak is not credible. This is the same guy who said that this year's Pokemon game is Gen 8 and that MP4 would have footage shown off in January.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Objectviely speaking

Incineroar based on personality, theme , and advertisement and enviably to be the 'Charizard' of Ash's S/M team makes him very possibly for smash

Lycanroc is likely but to put an objective spin on a subjective statement that ????????????? ????????????? made a awhile back. What is Lycanroc other than a family of wolves based on the times of day? What would they bring other than projectiles and counters? I can not say, while the other two are a wrestler and a freaky ghost both with huge move pools and a lot of nonsense you can draw from to make a move set out of . Wood Hammer could come in the form of Mimikyu turning its tail into a cartoon mallet or Inceniroar could just spawn a table (like in the concept art) and whack people. What I'm saying is they have more personality beyond just being well a dog...
It's all about personal preference. Some people like you think Lycanroc would be boring because it's just a quadrupedal rock dog. Others think Incineroar would be boring because it's just a bipedal wrestler cat.

I think Lycanroc would be unique, but not everyone will see it the same way I do.

Okay, but ALL starters get promotion. They're all special.

I don't always want to see the absolute, most popular Pokemon be the one that always gets into Smash Bros. because it sacrifices variety and other factors.

I went on a rant about this the other day with Sceptile; it's my favorite Pokemon, and because of it, I have always picked Grass in Pokemon from then on out. But even back then, BLAZIKEN was always the popular one. So I just have to accept Charizard, Blaziken, and Incineroar get all the love and Grass gets left in the dust? Fire is just fated to be the one that's always more promoted?

Same for Meowth; another great Pokemon I've always wanted in Smash Bros. because of it's large role. But, despite that, it always loses out because of "popularity."

...it's just my own beef.
Unfortunately, choosing the most promoted and most popular Pokemon at the time development starts is just the safest option for Sakurai. Regardless of how unique he might think the character could be, if Game Freak or a notable number fans aren't there to support the character, he's gonna have doubts.

And to be fair, Blaziken didn't get in Smash either due to poor timing. I don't understand why you could be too upset over this when Blaziken suffered the same fate as Sceptile.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why is the Ridley leak sort of credible now?

I wanna believe cause it got K.Rool and Dixie so hit me up.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Well sadly, that leak is not credible. This is the same guy who said that this year's Pokemon game is Gen 8 and that MP4 would have footage shown off in January.
It is more credible than your constant , non-funded ******** because of things you do not like and cannot accept other people that have a different opinion.

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman

Gotta BELIEEEVEEE.
TBH I doubt they'd reveal something like that for E3, it's all going to be focused on unveiling the newcomers and showcasing the general gameplay of this new Smash. Talking about new gameplay modes I feel would be something saved for later. So, if Ridley does appear at E3, I expect them to reveal him as a fully playable character.

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
From what I've seen and heard the past few months, it's been more then just Vergeben that has hinted at or flat out said that Ridley is playable so even if the guy is full of hot air (again), it's still looking somewhat good for our big purple space dragon.

Being cautiously optimistic. Call me delusional but hey, w/e. :smash:

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
I haven't really followed it much does the Vergeban leak mention anyone else? Besides Simon, Ridley, and IC's?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Interesting. Namco listens to the Pokémon fans more than Game Freak or the Pokémon Company do.
What if Namco just logged on to Smashboards and added the Pokemon everyone was talking about at the time.

"Looks like a lot of people want Sceptile and Decidueye in Smash. Let's add those guys in our game."

Antimatter042

Smash Apprentice
So let's play a short game while we're at it

Since we don't know how many 3rd parties we're going to get. If we got to have 3 max, who would you pick? My choices are Simon, Crash, and Bomberman
I know this is a pretty late reply. This thread moves way too fast now.
Ori, Rabbid Peach and Zero

Controversial picks but oh well.

?????????????

Smash Master
Unfortunately, choosing the most promoted and most popular Pokemon at the time development starts is just the safest option for Sakurai. Regardless of how unique he might think the character could be, if Game Freak or a notable number fans aren't there to support the character, he's gonna have doubts.

And to be fair, Blaziken didn't get in Smash either due to poor timing. I don't understand why you could be too upset over this when Blaziken suffered the same fate as Sceptile.
I'm probably upset about that because Blaziken got a Mega Form before Sceptile did. Also made it to Pokken first.

...That aside, do we even have an idea of when the Smash development team would have picked a Pokemon newcomer? Like...who was popular and promoted at that time?

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Objectviely speaking

Lycanroc is likely but to put an objective spin on a subjective statement that ????????????? ????????????? made a awhile back. What is Lycanroc other than a family of wolves based on the times of day? What would they bring other than projectiles and counters? I can not say, while the other two are a wrestler and a freaky ghost both with huge move pools and a lot of nonsense you can draw from to make a move set out of . Wood Hammer could come in the form of Mimikyu turning its tail into a cartoon mallet or Inceniroar could just spawn a table (like in the concept art) and whack people. What I'm saying is they have more personality and varied abilities beyond just being well a rock dog...
I get you're probably playing devil's advocate, but saying Lycanroc couldn't be unique is objectively false. We don't have any wolf/quad characters and more importantly no characters that manipulate the earth/use Geo kinesis.

I totally agree that it lacks personality compared to Decideueye/Mimikyu/Inceniroar, but it could be an interesting fighter still.

Hopefully before I get greninj'd, but he predicted several Konami games before Konami announced them. (He could technically be wrong still but it's unlikely).

HOWEVER I want to point out that K Rool and Dixie are not part of the same leak, that's the imgur "leak".

This is why we need an actual upkept leak thread because you aren't the first person to combine them and I don't want lots of people dissapointed whether Vergeben is right or not.

Last edited:
While I loved SSE, I would rather see the groups change much more than you've worked out. Most of those groups are the SSE ones with some slight changes. I think it'd be better coming up with entirely new ideas rather than rehashes of a story that has already been told.
I understand where you're coming from, but I just want to establish something real quick;

The reason the groups are mostly the same is because I designed this as a direct continuation of the Subspace Emissary (taking place mere weeks afterwards), not an entirely separate storyline. (They might change a little bit more as I work out the story more)

just clarifying because my wording in my original post did make it seem like a new story rather than a sequel, my bad.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Wrong leak. You're thinking of the almost definitely fake imgur leak. Vergeben's only said Ice Climbers, Snake, Simon, and Ridley.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It's all about personal preference. Some people like you think Lycanroc would be boring because it's just a quadrupedal rock dog. Others think Incineroar would be boring because it's just a bipedal wrestler cat.

I think Lycanroc would be unique, but not everyone will see it the same way I do.
To be very honest, I would've considered Lycanroc if it weren't for the fact that two of the three forms are quadrupedal. As popular as the Dusk Form might be, not being able to carry two-handed items without psychic powers or vines can be a rather heavy handicap, especially if the Daybreak happens to return.

At least Midnight Form Lycanroc's bipedal stature enables it to use such items.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Did something big happen? Anyone else getting 502 Bad Gateway lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom