• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'd rather see Buzzwole over Decidueye and Incineroar.
I too have a particular interest in Buzzwole, as its Beast Boost ability could be utilized as a new mechanic. But more people seem to be on the Decidueye, Mimikyu, and Dusk Form Lycanroc bandwagons. I can't really envision Mimikyu making the cut, and the only Lycanroc form that's bipedal is the Midnight Form, but it's far less popular overall.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
to be honest lycanroc midnight just looks like some weird mix of zoroark and lycanroc midday, it's just strange looking to me tbh but idk

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Considering that Melee had Pichu, having more than one Fire-type (and Dark-type if Greninja returns) Pokemon is always possible.
But Pichu was a clone not a unique character

I called Greninja before he was revealed in Smash 4. I have a feeling that the Pokemon rep this time will be Mimikyu

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I feel like one fault with smash speculation is that characters that aren't well perceived, or just plain liked, are never considered as likely. Especially concerning Pokemon. Usually people who support a Pokemon, it also happens to be one of their favorites. I'm super guilty of this because Mimikyu and Decidueye (well the line as a whole) are my two favorite Alolan Pokemon.

Truth is Inceniroar has just as much if not more going for it than Decideueye. I personally wouldn't be a big fan of a Pokemon with both of it's types already represented in Smash getting in, especially when we have so many types still not used. But I think it's way more likely than people think :/.

Kinda unrelated not really, but was I the only one who took Decideueye's confirmation in Pokken as a con for his chances? It was back before I was a Mimikyu supporter and I remember being really bummed about his confirmation because I figured they wouldn't promote him in both of their fighters (sorta like Greninja). And then I cam here and saw most people saw it as a pro. Now I'm not sure if it is because of echo chambers or if anyone else felt that way originally too lol.

RustyRemains

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-1666-4551-3124
I called Greninja before he was revealed in Smash 4. I have a feeling that the Pokemon rep this time will be Mimikyu
I have so much hope for Mimikyu, it's honestly the only character I really request for this game, just like Little Mac was my only request for Smash4, I hope I get to celebrate like that once more but I try not to get my hopes up too much

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I have so much hope for Mimikyu, it's honestly the only character I really request for this game, just like Little Mac was my only request for Smash4, I hope I get to celebrate like that once more but I try not to get my hopes up too much
I see Mimikyu becoming a lasting mascot to Pokemon even after gen 7. It's such a great rival to Pikachu.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I too have a particular interest in Buzzwole, as its Beast Boost ability could be utilized as a new mechanic. But more people seem to be on the Decidueye, Mimikyu, and Dusk Form Lycanroc bandwagons. I can't really envision Mimikyu making the cut, and the only Lycanroc form that's bipedal is the Midnight Form, but it's far less popular overall.
Cannot beIieve I was able to remember where to find this image with Torracat and Buzzwole. I'll snoop around and see if I can find some more, particularly Decidueye and the other two Lycanroc forms.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Why can't you see Mimikyu in? It receives lots of attention from the Pokemon company and you just need to take one look at the anime to get a moveset out of it.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
honestly i don't see any gen 7 in lol

i swear squirtle and ivysaur are gonna make their shocking comeback i swear okay

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
I think Decideueye has decent chances of getting in, but people over blow how likely it is to be the pokemon newcomer(s) to get in. Decideueye is my most wanted pokemon, but there aren't any bad choices out of the pokemon people usually suggest. They all have interesting qualities that would bring good things to smash.

Kinda unrelated not really, but was I the only one who took Decideueye's confirmation in Pokken as a con for his chances? It was back before I was a Mimikyu supporter and I remember being really bummed about his confirmation because I figured they wouldn't promote him in both of their fighters (sorta like Greninja). And then I cam here and saw most people saw it as a pro. Now I'm not sure if it is because of echo chambers or if anyone else felt that way originally too lol.
Hard to say if it affects Decideueye chances in smash, but if it does I also think it's not likely to Decideueye favour.

Zeox

Smash Champion
1- It would implies that Square is still involved in Smash for knowing those information, breaking NDA.
2- A company want to have people talk about them and their supposed project, you don't want to deconfirm rumor if it means disappointing your fan
3- You now understand why when something get leaked and gamejournalist get in contact with those company the usual answer is "X company decided to not comment on the matter"
Maybe Square Enix had an eye on him since he said that he have info of Cloud.
But still is pretty stupid to say anything by yourself and ruin your own job... specially just to say "there are characters on this leak that i know they are not in smash".
If you are gonna do something so stupid, at least go ahead and say everything!

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I see Mimikyu becoming a lasting mascot to Pokemon even after gen 7. It's such a great rival to Pikachu.
I don't even watch the anime really and I hope Jessie keeps Mimikyu like they kept Wobbafett.

Yes I am a fan of the anime Mimikyu. I think individual Pokemon are allowed to have different personalities just like pets and all Mimikyu don't have to be the "owo somebody love me" Mimikyu. I love that the anime Mimikyu is like "**** it, I'll just kill the original". What an icon.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Decideueye isn't the Pokemon company's focus in 7th gen, never was.

And we KNOW the advertised guy= in Smash

So why do people think its chances are even minimal?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Mimikyu seems like the kind of Crazy weird and cute character that would get Sakurai's attention in all honesty.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
You say this as if Ridley fan's would feels anything after all these years of waiting and being deconfirmed- This little interview is just a scratch in the back of the hand for them.
They’ll feel death by Etika levels of hype if he’s confirmed after all these years...or they’ll just stay patient like Captain America

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I don't even watch the anime really and I hope Jessie keeps Mimikyu like they kept Wobbafett.

Yes I am a fan of the anime Mimikyu. I think individual Pokemon are allowed to have different personalities just like pets and all Mimikyu don't have to be the "owo somebody love me" Mimikyu. I love that the anime Mimikyu is like "**** it, I'll just kill the original". What an icon.
Yeah it fits into Team Rocket so well just like when Wobbuffet first joined.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
I feel like one fault with smash speculation is that characters that aren't well perceived, or just plain liked, are never considered as likely. Especially concerning Pokemon. Usually people who support a Pokemon, it also happens to be one of their favorites. I'm super guilty of this because Mimikyu and Decidueye (well the line as a whole) are my two favorite Alolan Pokemon.

Truth is Inceniroar has just as much if not more going for it than Decideueye. I personally wouldn't be a big fan of a Pokemon with both of it's types already represented in Smash getting in, especially when we have so many types still not used. But I think it's way more likely than people think :/.

I'm not sure if Decidueye in Pokkén factors much since it was confirmed to be in it only in 2017, but say, if it was included in 2016 or something, I'd take it as a con as well because maybe the Smash team would want a Pokémon that isn't already in a fighting game to be more unique or something

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Not sure which gen 7 Pokémon are getting in but this is going to be the longest five days ever since there's a chance Ridley finally won the race to playable since the leak is now creditable

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
But Pichu was a clone not a unique character

How can you say that Incenaroar sharing a typing with Pokemon already in Smash will prevent him from getting in, while also advocate for Mimikyu, who shares a Fairy typing with Jigglypuff?

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Do you think Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee increases the chances of Ivysaur and Squritle returning in the base game or dlc?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Do you think Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee increases the chances of Ivysaur and Squritle returning in the base game or dlc?
There probably no way the Let's Go games increases anything or influence anything in smash. Why?
Pokemon go was out in summer 2016.
Pokemon Let's Go was probably build JUST to be a Pokemon Go tie in.
The timing is WAAAAY too short to be even possible.

RustyRemains

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-1666-4551-3124
How can you say that Incenaroar sharing a typing with Pokemon already in Smash will prevent him from getting in, while also advocate for Mimikyu, who shares a Fairy typing with Jigglypuff?
Although I don't completrly believe in the only 1 per type rule, Jigglypuff shows 0 signs of her being a fairy type in the first place in smash, and Mimikyu is more ghost type focused in general with it's attacks, not ranging a lot further than playrough and it's Z-Move for the most part

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Because it's primary a ghost type and fairy type wasn't a thing during Smash 64 so Jiggypuff uses no fairy moves.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
There probably no way the Let's Go games increases anything or influence anything in smash. Why?
Pokemon go was out in summer 2016.
Pokemon Let's Go was probably build JUST to be a Pokemon Go tie in.
The timing is WAAAAY too short to be even possible.
Speaking of Pokemon Go, what do you guys think the chances are of Go content in smash?

I think we'll get some kind of nod at the very least, maybe like a prof willow trophy or something.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I'm not sure if Decidueye in Pokkén factors much since it was confirmed to be in it only in 2017, but say, if it was included in 2016 or something, I'd take it as a con as well because maybe the Smash team would want a Pokémon that isn't already in a fighting game to be more unique or something
While I obviously don't know the development timeline of either game, you do have to consider that Pokken switch was only announced in 2017 and could have been in development around the same time as Smash's project plan. I'm honestly unsure if it matters that much and would be something the Pokemon Company would bring up. Like I said, most people here see it as a pro.
Because Jigglypuff had no moves reflecting it's Fairy Type. Because Mimikyu still has another unrepresented type. Because Inceniroar's Fire is already represented by Charizard and Dark is fairly represented in Greninja's ninja playstyle.

I don't think typing discounts a Pokemon, although I'd perfer unique typing. However it has to do with how a Pokemon uses that type. For example I reallllly don't want an electric type newcomer, because Pikachu defintely has that covered. However Inceniroar's wrestling Moveset might be unique on its own. Just saying that it's not about literal type reprsentation but how they use it.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Wait what the... Mimikyu is ghost/FAIRY!? why is also Fairy type? I swear I'm learning more details about nintendo in this thread that in 20 years of playing their games... but that's also maybe because I didn't play any recent nintendo games.

?????????????

Smash Master
Speaking of Pokemon Go, what do you guys think the chances are of Go content in smash?

I think we'll get some kind of nod at the very least, maybe like a prof willow trophy or something.
We're going to get a stage that's just literally whatever you're currently looking at at the time of the battle.

RustyRemains

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-1666-4551-3124

Something like a trophy of Willow or the team leaders sounds quite probable to me, maybe even one of the songs or an assist trophy that tosses Pokeballs from the screen at the fighters for damage?

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Wait what the... Mimikyu is ghost/FAIRY!? why is also Fairy type? I swear I'm learning more details about nintendo in this thread that in 20 years of playing their games... but that's also maybe because I didn't play any recent nintendo games.
Fairies are scary.

D

Deleted member

I think that makes sense. I believe Castlevania is very popular in Latin America. The Simon4Smash Facebook group has a lot of Hispanic/Latino fans from Brazil (#1), Mexico (#2), and other Latin American countries.

Yes. I need this. I want a new Animal Crossing game for the Switch. Bigger and better than New Leaf and Pocket Camp combined.
Well im from Chile and im like the Simon Belmont #1 fan so........

Although for me it seems weird that Castlevania would be popular in Latin America of all places and not europe when the series has clearly European influences (especially post-Sotn)

Also wasn't there a poll by Nintenderos (spainard website) in which Simon ranked extremely low? (then again Goku was in that poll so i don't take it seriously in the slightlest)

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
5 days remain and we still starve for more anything

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Although I don't completrly believe in the only 1 per type rule
I don’t believe in that rule either. Talk about limiting.

If we eventually get all 18 types in one roster, does that mean no more Pokémon newcomers ever? Or do we have to cut some Pokémon to add new Pokémon with the same types?

:4pikachu: = no more Electric type Pokémon newcomers
:squirtle: = no more Water type Pokémon newcomers
:4greninja: = cut Squirtle to make room for Greninja because we must have only one Water type Pokémon

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Haven't been able to find any other Pokemon from the popularity poll in Japan, but I did find something that's probably far more likely to influence Sakurai's decision.

https://twitter.com/Gonzo81503435/status/995382195660476418

Apparently, the staff of the Sun and Moon games revealed their favorite Pokemon a few weeks ago. Here's what they said.

Masuda (producer and composer; member of GF board of directors) - Incineroar
Ohmori (director of Sun and Moon) - Primarina
Iwao (director of Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon) - Dusk Lycanroc

So what are your thoughts? Think this could possibly influence Sakurai's choice for the next newcomer?

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I don’t believe in that rule either. Talk about limiting.

If we eventually get all 18 types in one roster, does that mean no more Pokémon newcomers ever? Or do we have to cut some Pokémon to add new Pokémon with the same types?

:4pikachu: = no more Electric type Pokémon newcomers
:squirtle: = no more Water type Pokémon newcomers
:4greninja: = cut Squirtle to make room for Greninja because we must have only one Water type Pokémon
The Greninja path. I like that path much better
Haven't been able to find any other Pokemon from the popularity poll in Japan, but I did find something that's probably far more likely to influence Sakurai's decision.

https://twitter.com/Gonzo81503435/status/995382195660476418

Apparently, the staff of the Sun and Moon games revealed their favorite Pokemon a few weeks ago. Here's what they said.

Masuda (producer and composer; member of GF board of directors) - Incineroar
Ohmori (director of Sun and Moon) - Primarina
Iwao (director of Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon) - Dusk Lycanroc

So what are your thoughts? Think this could possibly influence Sakurai's decision?
Possibly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom