• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
So let's play a short game while we're at it

Since we don't know how many 3rd parties we're going to get. If we got to have 3 max, who would you pick? My choices are Simon, Crash, and Bomberman
Sonic, Cloud, Pac-Man. Yup, no new ones if we only got 3 max.

Edit: Banjo Kazooie, Bomberman, Travis.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

Since we don't know how many 3rd parties we're going to get. If we got to have 3 max, who would you pick? My choices are Simon, Crash, and Bomberman
Simon, Erdrick, and Snake

If Snake doesn't count because he's a vet, then Crash.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master

You mean three new ones? Or three total?
If it’s the former just Simon. I’m not really a fan of 3rd Parties completely overrunning the roster and I’d be much happier if they were kept to a minimum.

If I can have three total, realistically I’d want Simon, Megaman, and Sonic. Two huge NES series and Nintendo’s rival from the golden age.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Off the top of my head (I've been reiterating this to several people on Discord);
Smash 5 reuses assets from 4 and doesn't cut anybody, including DLC characters
The Ice Climbers and Snake will return too.
Simon Belmont from Castlevania and Ridley from Metroid will be newcomers.
Minecraft may be represented in some form, Vergeben said that he's not sure how but that he thinks it will either be a stage or an assist trophy.

Also, Konami is making a new Castlevania game for the Switch, and a Castlevania compilation for the Switch, but that's not directly Smash related.
Edit again: The reason that I believe him is because Konami added empty listings for two new Switch games in the last 24 hours on their website, one of which is a compilation of some sort.
Not to mention only 2 out of 61 on the list are for the switch

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social

Deffo want Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, and Banjo-Kazooie. And remove Bayonetta and Cloud.

99_Jydge

Smash Rookie

Rayman, Banjo-Kazooie and Geno would probably be my picks.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

Rayman, Lara Croft and Crash, maybe replace crash with snake cause I feel like he deserves to come back and I kinda miss him

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Btw, if anyone's wondering why I didn't list Boshi as my 3rd party choice (you all know me and my Boshi fantasies) it's because Boshi belongs to Square Enix as much as a random Yoshi OC on the internet belongs to them. It's still a Nintendo-invented species...

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Oh my... Third party newcomers?

Sora/Geno/Rayman.

Don't judge me....I hate a lot the Western Icons in general. (As an European, for me Western is mostly American which Rayman isn't for me a Frenchman)

Also Joker from Persona 5. But as a DLC, so no one whine about him stealing a spot.

Last edited:

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman
If that leak is true, every character that's ever been in Smash will be in this game minus Wolf, Young Link, Pichu, and Pokemon Trainer (Squirtle/Ivysaur). Also, I just realized no leaks have included Wolf, which makes me sad.
Wolf being cut was 100% unjustified, honestly Brawl's weird art style made him look more edgy then he actually is in a very bad way. I hope that he's added as a unannounced surprise.
I meant in newcomers my bad lol
Simon Belmont, Banjo-Kazooie and Master Chief. Fite me and my weird biases. Also, Geno is second party imo.
Not to mention only 2 out of 61 on the list are for the switch
I totally forgot about that, mostly because I've been trying not to pay any attention to Konami till very recently.

Last edited:

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
If that leak is true, every character that's ever been in Smash will be in this game minus Wolf, Young Link, Pichu, and Pokemon Trainer (Squirtle/Ivysaur). Also, I just realized no leaks have included Wolf, which makes me sad.
Indeed. Only 5 characters. That makes me optimistic we will get Ivysaur, Squirtle and Wolf back as DLC. I think a third Link is really unlikely and Pichu being a joke character may be ruled out as a DLC option.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Out of the possible newcomers who are also 3rd party characters...
Scorpion
Crash
Banjo Kazooie

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
For me it'd be Crash and Simon, without a doubt. Last one is kind of a tossup between Frogger, Lara Croft, Maxwell, and Shovel Knight, but I'd go with Shovel Knight.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Thr33 Third Parties
1.) Scorpion
2.) Simon Belmont
3.) Mog or a Battle Toad or Frogger (after seeing Bluepikmin's suggestions) or Mallow or Geno

Last edited:

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Wouldn't be too shocked at this point. That being said, imagine how many posts this thread will have 3 months from now, especially given how many posts it has from the past 3 months with so little information.
If we keep it up with the low-effort "list x" games, we'll have it for sure.
Never mind three months, I'm wondering how many pages this thread will get in the 3 days following the 12th. It already produces what? 15 a day? And that's even when there's nothing. Once we get a ton of actual news and most of the active users on the site are clamoring on to threads like these the rate will probably be absurd.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Honestly, after knowing what Konami's going to reveal at E3, it seems like Simon will be the 3rd party announced for the convention alongside Ridley. It is looking less likely that will pull an extra third-party reveal surprise like Sora, but who knows? Maybe we will see an additional Nintendo newcomer instead.

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
Ok next question, what do you think of the logic behind my retro picks?

-----Its not that I think Isaac in particular will get into Smash but I'm predicting a radical shift in the structure of retro character selections. Originally in Melee the Ice Climbers and Mr. Game and Watch were selected to represent another era of gaming. The Ice Climbers were to showcase the NES and Mr. Game and Watch was to showcase games before that. What we have seen is that each of the retro characters have now been pulled out of the same pool (the NES) where one character is seeing a revitalization of their series. During this Smash period no such characters had that big of a revive. I believe that Sakurai is going to to look back to his original idea that he had in Melee and select one historic character (from the NES) and another retro character that's series is older and dead. This is how I believe characters like Isaac, Saki, and Prince Sable will make their entrance into Smash in future installments. I'm choosing Isaac now because of the success of his main game, his move set potential being different from others on my roster, and his consistent ballot request.
Game---------------------------------------Year---------Copies Sold
Mario Kart Wii U---------------------------2014------------<7.68
NES Classic---------------------------------2016-------------2.30
-----Remember the Smash 4 speculation days? Do you remember how everyone thought ROB was going to be/should be cut? Why would that be? my answer not enough people knew him to care about him. I think that Sakurai learned that lesson too and that's why he went out of his way to make Duck Hunt work. Because he knew people were familiar with the character. And in all honesty I believe it worked. Before we thought no one would get cut I didn't see anyone calling for Duck Hunt to get the Ax. That's why I believe Excite biker will be our surprise retro. His game sold well in its day around the world and it has been constantly been referenced by Nintendo, Mario Kart Wii U and the NES Classic being the most current examples.
-----Some people may say Why not Takamaru? he had a virtual console release and showed up in Nintendo land. Well, we don't have the virtual console sales but I would take a wager and guess that they were terrible based on him not appearing on any version of the NES Classic. Also Takamru didn't even appear in Nintendo land. The game more featured the castle which I don't think will help the casual player pick him up. Yes he does have more moveset potential but that didn't stop Duck Hunt from beating him out last time.

Irarius

Smash Journeyman

-----Its not that I think Isaac in particular will get into Smash but I'm predicting a radical shift in the structure of retro character selections. Originally in Melee the Ice Climbers and Mr. Game and Watch were selected to represent another era of gaming. The Ice Climbers were to showcase the NES and Mr. Game and Watch was to showcase games before that. What we have seen is that each of the retro characters have now been pulled out of the same pool (the NES) where one character is seeing a revitalization of their series. During this Smash period no such characters had that big of a revive. I believe that Sakurai is going to to look back to his original idea that he had in Melee and select one historic character (from the NES) and another retro character that's series is older and dead. This is how I believe characters like Isaac, Saki, and Prince Sable will make their entrance into Smash in future installments. I'm choosing Isaac now because of the success of his main game, his move set potential being different from others on my roster, and his consistent ballot request.
-----Remember the Smash 4 speculation days? Do you remember how everyone thought ROB was going to be/should be cut? Why would that be? my answer not enough people knew him to care about him. I think that Sakurai learned that lesson too and that's why he went out of his way to make Duck Hunt work. Because he knew people were familiar with the character. And in all honesty I believe it worked. Before we thought no one would get cut I didn't see anyone calling for Duck Hunt to get the Ax. That's why I believe Excite biker will be our surprise retro. His game sold well in its day around the world and it has been constantly been referenced by Nintendo, Mario Kart Wii U and the NES Classic being the most current examples.
-----Some people may say Why not Takamaru? he had a virtual console release and showed up in Nintendo land. Well, we don't have the virtual console sales but I would take a wager and guess that they were terrible based on him not appearing on any version of the NES Classic. Also Takamru didn't even appear in Nintendo land. The game more featured the castle which I don't think will help the casual player pick him up. Yes he does have more moveset potential but that didn't stop Duck Hunt from beating him out last time.
i can see both happen, i mean boh do have he potential to be interesting

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
Indeed. Only 5 characters. That makes me optimistic we will get Ivysaur, Squirtle and Wolf back as DLC. I think a third Link is really unlikely and Pichu being a joke character may be ruled out as a DLC option.
Maybe! I honestly wouldn't mind Pichu being an alternate costume for funsies. Young Link can just stay in Melee, lol.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I meant in newcomers my bad lol
Assuming that I can't use Snake, I'd go with Rayman, Travis Touchdown, and Shovel Knight.

I might replace Shovel Knight with Doomguy or Crash Bandicoot, but I feel like SK would be particularly fun to play as.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
The Crash mentions warms my heart. Guess it's time for me to make a new profile picture

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
If I were to add three new (Not gonna count Snake as new since he'd be a veteran) third-party guests for the new game:
Simon Belmont, Monster Hunter and Joker/Yu Narukami/Jack Frost. Simon has the legacy of Castlevania going for him. I can imagine Capcom would love to help give Monster Hunter more attention thanks to the praise Monster Hunter World received. Shin Megami Tensei/Persona is more personal bias, but it'd be cool to see the franchise in Smash Bros imo.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Honestly, after knowing what Konami's going to reveal at E3, it seems like Simon will be the 3rd party announced for the convention alongside Ridley. It is looking less likely that will pull an extra third-party reveal surprise like Sora, but who knows? Maybe we will see an additional Nintendo newcomer instead.
Well, as far as we know, we might get
Newcomers: Simon, Inkling, Ridley
Veteran: Snake, Ice Climbers

And once again I have to remind everyone that this is the ONLY E3 Nintendo have to present smash unlike others smash with two E3 and cram as much info (which is probably why we have 45 minute E3 direct instead of 25 last year) he can inside of it. We might get ALOT of info and knowing that the game only have 6 month AT WORST to get all reveal.

So, I'm still keeping my best of getting more than one third party newcomers. Especially since Third Parties are mostly what Nintendo can use to make everyone's head turn to them during E3.

Another bet I take. Simon/Inkling/Ridley/Snake/Icies are all in the first reveal trailer.
But we will have a surprise trailer at the end of the direct

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero

This could be possible. I like the Software/Hardware theory myself.

Going by the theory, I would guess Takamaru (finishes the 1986 sister game characters: Samus/Pit & Link/Takamaru). A possible absence of Fire Emblem characters might point at a sword character deficit, in which case, Takamaru or Isaac, as you suggested, could be a sword-wielding newcomer that would add to a beloved fighting archetype.

Mach Rider could be the hardware retro. There was a toy. Although it did not interact with the game, the toy had a gear shift system similar to in the same system featured in the NES title.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
3rd parties, hmmm....

Well, assuming no veterans as well(as Snake should come back with everybody else); Rabbids, Brian(Quest 64), and Fulgore.

There's many others, but these really interest me the most right now. I'd love Simon Belmont, Steve?, Master Chief, Slime, all rather iconic and notable options. Coincidentally 2 are very viable MIcrosoft options right now.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
For my three 3rd parties, I'd pick Rayman, Bomberman, and a tossup between Spyro and Crash (though I'd probably give a slight edge to Spyro).

If all 3/4 of those guys somehow got in I'd never complain again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom