• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Alright, all these posts about Meowth, Team Rocket, etc. whenever any fighting style is brought up is getting irritating.
I can and I will keep it up for years whether people like it or not. It isn't my first time hopelessly supporting an unlikely character.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I can and I will keep it up for years whether people like it or not. It isn't my first time hopelessly supporting an unlikely character.
The point Golden is making is that you're finding any way to turn the discussion into Meowth/Team Rocket. It overall derails some conversations. It's okay to like the character, but you shouldn't force it upon us. I support them too, but try not to steer it towards them so often. It irritates people because it makes you sound like a broken record/obsessed. And that's not an impression we should have of you. :)

D

Deleted member

There's a difference between "helplessly supporting an unlikely character" and forcibly cramming said character down everyone's throats.

EDIT: What Irene said.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
All right, I was only trying to keep Meowth "dancing" in people's minds with all those different ideas about fighting styles that Meowth could do alone or with Team Rocket Pokémon.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
All right, I was only trying to keep Meowth "dancing" in people's minds with all those different ideas about fighting styles that Meowth could do alone or with Team Rocket Pokémon.
If it helps, one of the ideas I had for Team Rocket was a summoner, which is more of a case of "use Pokemon to make disjointed hitbox moves".

Also, if you want something to do, I could use more discussion in my Brian support topic. >.> /Shameful self promotion

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I'm not sure how a Pokémon trainer as a summoner would work.

Would they throw a Pokeball down whenever they used a move with a Pokémon, or would they just appear out of thin air? I can't imagine them doing the latter.

Now if the Pokémon use their powers to teleport in or come out of the ground, then it would work. Otherwise the idea just seems too out there for me.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
So I don't know if this has been discussed a lot already, but here's a question.

Speaking purely on hypothetical of if ARMS reaches popularity that exceeds even Splatoon, Spring Man would make sense for an added character into Smash, right? But therein lies the issue: His signature ability, aside from the given stretchiness of his arms, is essentially Lucario's Aura in the form of getting stronger with lower health (or in the context of Smash, higher percent). Do you think this similarity would affect Sakurai's opinion on whether or not Spring Man would justify a place in the roster?

Again, this is purely in the sense of hypothetical so we're not distracted by other variables such as if ARMS does well enough in the first place or what Spring Man's actual popularity is. I'm wondering who else this could affect down the line if the star of a major IP has a mechanic that another character in Smash already has.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
So I don't know if this has been discussed a lot already, but here's a question.

Speaking purely on hypothetical of if ARMS reaches popularity that exceeds even Splatoon, Spring Man would make sense for an added character into Smash, right? But therein lies the issue: His signature ability, aside from the given stretchiness of his arms, is essentially Lucario's Aura in the form of getting stronger with lower health (or in the context of Smash, higher percent). Do you think this similarity would affect Sakurai's opinion on whether or not Spring Man would justify a place in the roster?

Again, this is purely in the sense of hypothetical so we're not distracted by other variables such as if ARMS does well enough in the first place or what Spring Man's actual popularity is. I'm wondering who else this could affect down the line if the star of a major IP has a mechanic that another character in Smash already has.
I doubt that would prevent him from getting in. He has other unique attributes that could be used to set him apart from Lucario and other fighters, like being able to switch between different types of arms and the aforementioned stretchy arms.

splat

Smash Lord
I still don't really know what a summoner is and how it defines a play style. Could you consider Villager a summoner, as he 'summons' items for almost all of his attacks (bar his dash, nair and neutral special)?

While the two are similar, I feel like Sakurai should be able to get some lee-way in order to differentiate them. Perhaps Spring Man could get a 'static' buff after a certain cut-off point, or just have it power up his specials instead of his entire kit.

That being said, I think the two characters and their fighting styles are different enough to 'allow' a similar trait. I don't recall many people cared when MK or Dedede 'took' Kirby's multi-jump.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
That being said, I think the two characters and their fighting styles are different enough to 'allow' a similar trait. I don't recall many people cared when MK or Dedede 'took' Kirby's multi-jump.
To be fair, Jigglypuff jumped on that bandwagon long before they ever could.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Okay but Meowth in Smash Bros? I'd support that if it had an Alolan alt..

I can't look back to regular Meowth after its Alolan form was revealed.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815

Worth pointing out, Corrin's existence indicates that if a character has a significant enough difference to contrast someone with a similar trait(swordsmen to Corrin, aura mechanic to Spring Man), then they could get in regardless. It's hard to argue that Spring Man has enough to separate himself from Lucario anyways with those Tribolt, Toaster and fidget spinner Boomerang fists he has(plus the fact that an ARMS character could be Smash's answer to Dhalsim).

Also, Lucario's aura has him start off weaker and get stronger via damage. Spring Man does normal damage until he reaches 25% HP and below, upon which he gets the boost. A minor technicality but still something to be mentioned to work around. Lucario wants to get damaged while Spring Man could theoretically perform well without the boost but becomes a killing machine if the boost is achieved without dying.

Last edited:

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
Re: The ''summoner'' character stuff.. Uhh.. is that NOT what PT did? Well the trainer himself never really fought, maybe that;s why he doesn't count.

Would it really be anybody other than an Advance Wars character, AKA someone from the series where the whole point is summoning units to fight for you?

They could just add Ribbon Girl, who is also on the cover IIRC.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
They could just add Ribbon Girl, who is also on the cover IIRC.

I feel like Spring Man is more or less considered the designated mascot, additionally considering that Spring Man's arena is the tutorial arena, he's the first character on the select screen, and, well, the reveal trailer giving him a slight highlight at the end. No other fighter currently has anything stand-out like that aside from Max Brass being the original champion of the Arms League.

If we ever got an ARMS character, currently it's Spring Man or bust.

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I agree that Spring Man will probably end up the ARMS character, should we get one. If they do, I wouldn't be surprised if we got Ribbon Girl as an alt. I think we'd probably just end up with those two, seeing as other ARMS characters wouldn't fit Spring Man's rig too well.

Luminario

Smash Lord
I'm not particularly fan of pushing a certain fighting style unto a character just for the unique factor. Either it works, and best example in my opinion is Rosalina & Luma, or it fails terribly like with Pokémon Trainer, Zelda / Sheik and Ice Climbers.

So no, don't force stuff on things. Especially since it also takes up a TON of development time just to balance these sort of characters out and program them right.

There's no summoning character that makes a lot of sense and has a lot of popularity to warrant a playable role? Then don't add a summoning character. It's that simple.
Wasn't Ike also added simply because Sakurai wanted a heavy swordsman?
I don't think anyone is saying these archetypes HAVE to be added no matter what, they're just mentioning the characters who can feasibly do it. It's an easy way to pick out a few characters who fit the requirement of moveset uniqueness to be a fighter candidate.
I'm not sure how a Pokémon trainer as a summoner would work.

Would they throw a Pokeball down whenever they used a move with a Pokémon, or would they just appear out of thin air? I can't imagine them doing the latter.

Now if the Pokémon use their powers to teleport in or come out of the ground, then it would work. Otherwise the idea just seems too out there for me.
That's probably why the Pokemon summoner would need to be N or Pokemon Ranger or something, so the Pokemon just popping out of nowhere instead of out of a pokeball would sorta make more sense.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Zelda's Down Smash should also draw a rune on the ground that fades away, but still explodes upon impact that acts like Snake's Down Smash.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Rather than a simple alt, I see Ribbon Girl being a semi-clone of Spring Man.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Hey so I am curious as to who you guys think the five most likely new characters are if the switch port is still happening.
Assuming it's a port and veterans don't count (since you said new)...

Inkling
Decidueye
Spring Man
A ballot character
A third party character (OR they go and add Chorus Kids now that technical issues are seemingly out of the way)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Well, inversely, that would be disregarding a character that would have an entirely unique and distinct moveset simply because the gimmick might be similar to what has already been done before.

And I say similar and not the same because while close in concept the two can be implemented in different ways. It could focus on his deflection rather than strength, it could hinge around a certain percent rather than a growing boost, it could only affect a certain punching move/moves.

There are existing similar gimmicks in Smash already. Marth and Roy both have sweetspots on their swords, but in different places. Little Mac and Cloud both have the same gimmick in concept, but implemented very differently. Originally Zelda/Sheik had a very unique gimmick, but then Pokemon Trainer and ZSS showed up. Sakurai gave Palutena pretty much the exact same gimmick as the Miis, yet that didn't stop either from being included.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I also think Twintelle could be a contender as far as ARMS characters go, just by virtue of the fact she was so popular that even the developers took notice of said popularity, something they didn't do with any other character.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Can Spring Man counter in ARMS? If the answer is yes, there's no way Sakurai would pass up on including him. :laugh:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Hey so I am curious as to who you guys think the five most likely new characters are if the switch port is still happening.
Inkling and four others. No one is even spitting distance to the Inklings in likeliness.

The rest would be guessing, and rather nebulous guessing at that, meanwhile the Inklings seem as close to a sure thing as you'll get.

I also think Twintelle could be a contender as far as ARMS characters go, just by virtue of the fact she was so popular that even the developers took notice of said popularity, something they didn't do with any other character.
I really can't see anyone other than Spring-Man getting in first. At this point I could see Twintelle getting in second. But I wouldn't count on getting a second ARMS character for a while.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Counters should build up meters or put an effect on the opponent. Plenty of design space in counters.

D

Deleted member

Dixie
Takamaru
Inkling
Spring Man/Ribbon Girl
A new Pokémon rep (either Decidueye or a 8th Gen Pokémon)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't see that many newcomers being possible. Personally, I think the following is more favorable for a Switch port, if it ever does come to pass.

Veterans
Ice Climbers
Wolf

Newcomers
Inkling
Spring Man

splat

Smash Lord
  1. A 'quirky' character, like Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, Chibi Robo, Captain Toad or Paper Mario
  2. A 'veteran' character: Wolf or Ice Climbers
  3. Inkling
  4. A 'cool' human character, like Isaac, Spring Man or Rex
  5. A third party character, like Snake, Bomberman or Rayman
Not really five characters, but eh, what can you do?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Twintelle probably has the most options for attacks as her ARMS are her hair, so Sakurai could theoretically give her some moves that just focus on her sassy demeanor with the stretchy hair being used in a few attacks. Her popularity reminds me of Morrigan of Darkstalkers Morrigan's brought in LOADS of Capcom crossovers but she actually wasn't the main character of Darkstalkers, just the most popular.
I don't think this will happen, just something my mind came up with

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
If Sylux ends up being the main antagonist of Metroid Prime 4 and manages to stay alive by the end of the game (meaning he has a chance of showing up in future games) how likely do you think his chances of getting into a Smash for Switch would be?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
If Sylux ends up being the main antagonist of Metroid Prime 4 and manages to stay alive by the end of the game (meaning he has a chance of showing up in future games) how likely do you think his chances of getting into a Smash for Switch would be?
Depends how significant he is to the plot. Though if Dark Samus couldn't make it into Brawl, I doubt Sylux would have a better chance, as Sylux, when playable, only really had 2 differences from Samus, healing from the Shock Coil, and the Lockjaw instead of the Morph Ball

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly? Pretty good, really. Having him be important, recurring, AND alive at the end could do wonders for Sakurai taking notice.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Twintelle probably has the most options for attacks as her ARMS are her hair, so Sakurai could theoretically give her some moves that just focus on her sassy demeanor with the stretchy hair being used in a few attacks. Her popularity reminds me of Morrigan of Darkstalkers Morrigan's brought in LOADS of Capcom crossovers but she actually wasn't the main character of Darkstalkers, just the most popular.
I don't think this will happen, just something my mind came up with
Her fight style also works well for holding items too, as she can simply hold and use them with her real hands.
I really wish that just this once, they don't go with the "main guy" as the first representative. Ribbon and Twintelle seem to be much more popular than Spring, with Twintelle really shooting up in the popularity department right from her reveal. Unfortunately, the character roster is already likely chosen, and they couldn't have known how popular she would be, so if an ARMS character got in it's very likely just Spring Man.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I'd rather take Min Min over any of the other ARMS fighters. Not to say I dislike any of the others or anything.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
1. Ice Climbers
2. Inklings
3. Spring Man or Ribbon Girl or Twintelle
4. Decidueye or Incineroar (Popularity vs Anime concept art leak.)
5. King K. Rool

Though I'd love Chorus Kids/Marshal.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Significant, since the character has no inhibiting factors otherwise.

But that also depends on when Smash Switch gets made, considering such instances as Robin getting very lucky in terms of when Awakening came out when he would have missed his chance otherwise, and Prime 4 is at least another year away. The timing for development would have to be near perfect (which I don't think is the case if Smash Switch is somehow still a port).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom