• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Depends how significant he is to the plot. Though if Dark Samus couldn't make it into Brawl, I doubt Sylux would have a better chance, as Sylux, when playable, only really had 2 differences from Samus, healing from the Shock Coil, and the Lockjaw instead of the Morph Ball
The bar is lower now than it was then.

If Sylux has a large role in Prime 4 I'd say his chances would be fairly good.

Honestly, I dont want Twintelle, just on the fact I feel like her hair gimmick would infringe on Dixie Kong's potential, and I like Dixie way more haha

As for Sylux, the biggest problem Sylux probably faces is timing. He has the body structure and potentially has relevancy, but if the plan for smash is already done, he might have missed the mark. Of course, if he has continuous relevance he will get in sooner or later. Im sure the outcry for a "rep" for metroid will flock to Sylux very soon, and then it will only be a matter of time.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, I dont want Twintelle, just on the fact I feel like her hair gimmick would infringe on Dixie Kong's potential, and I like Dixie way more haha
Bayonetta infringed upon that long ago. :V

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Helix should be playable in the next Smash. Why? Because memes, that's why. Helix is the best of the best man. I don't care if the fanbase is indifferent to him. I won't ever change for your waifus and springboob squirepants. Helix is the way to go.

And I mean that. :4mario:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

But that also depends on when Smash Switch gets made, considering such instances as Robin getting very lucky in terms of when Awakening came out when he would have missed his chance otherwise, and Prime 4 is at least another year away. The timing for development would have to be near perfect (which I don't think is the case if Smash Switch is somehow still a port).
As for Sylux, the biggest problem Sylux probably faces is timing. He has the body structure and potentially has relevancy, but if the plan for smash is already done, he might have missed the mark. Of course, if he has continuous relevance he will get in sooner or later. Im sure the outcry for a "rep" for metroid will flock to Sylux very soon, and then it will only be a matter of time.
I can imagine there'd be a new :4greninja: situation and Sylux could be made from early artworks.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Worth to note that Spring Man's "aura mechanic" kicks in once and doesn't change power if his percentage climbs beyond that.
So he's basically a Lucario wannabe? I'll probably guess that any potential attack boosts won't kick in unless Spring Man's current damage is higher than 100%, and even then, the boost can't be too extreme.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Interesting to see all of your thoughtd on who the 5 most likely characeters are to come to smash switch, also sorry if I confused some of you, veterans counted as well. Anyway I'll go over mine really quickly.

1. Ice Climbers (Being a veteran gives them a slight advantage over Inkling)
2. Inkling (By far most popular newcomer at this point, might be the only one with a real chance of getting in a port)
3. Wolf (Poor Wolf was left out of Smash 4 DLC for reasons we still haven't figured out. Last one I am very confident in returning in a port)
4. Spring Man (You guys have already discussed this one plenty. If there is a newcomer coming besides Inkling I'd say he is the next most likely but I am only semi-confident in his chances with the game having just come out.)
5. A Donkey Kong Character (Dixie or K. Rool, both have been heavily requested since we first found out about Smash 4. However, I really don't see any newcomers from existing IPs in Smash coming to a port.)

Also with regards to the Sylux debate, I think a huge factor is if Sylux is able to survive to the end of the game which I'm not too confident in because Samus's enemies tend to die, a lot. Although I think a couple E3s ago when they were interviewing a guy who I believe had an important role in developing the Prime games, he said that Samus and Sylux had some untouched HISTORY which makes me think this game could possibly be a prequel and in that case Sylux won't die. (Sorry I'm not that familiar with the Prime games, I've only played some of the 2D Metroid games.)

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I really can't see anyone other than Spring-Man getting in first. At this point I could see Twintelle getting in second. But I wouldn't count on getting a second ARMS character for a while.
Maybe Spring Man could get in as a playable character (maybe Ribbon Girl too if she gets in as a semi clone) and Twintelle could get in as an Assist Trophy?

I don't see any issues.

It's not like Dixie Kong will use her hair the same way Twintelle does. She doesn't even use her hair like Shantae does either.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I really can't see anyone other than Spring-Man getting in first. At this point I could see Twintelle getting in second. But I wouldn't count on getting a second ARMS character for a while.
Honestly speaking, I really don't think having Spring Man as the default ARMS character is given, unlike many people.

The thing about games with multiple playable characters such as fighting games is that whoever is meant to the protagonist initially and who becomes the face of the franchise and thus the first choice for crossovers isn't one and the same, usually due to the fact that one particular character that wasn't initially important becomes something of a Breakout Character.

An non-fighting game example of this would be Pikachu, who was initially just another Pokemon in the original games, but got more prominence because of how popular he was and thus became the face of Pokemon. Another, more comparable example would be Morrigan, who wasn't originally the main character, but due to her popularity stole the spotlight and became the face of her franchise, and thus is the Darkstalkers character with the most crossover appearances.

Frankly, the only way I could see Spring Man as the absolute shoo-in Arms character is if the roster for a new Smash game was finalised at least pretty early this year seeing as the popularity of ARMS characters couldn't have been measured and they just went for him because he the "main guy". Because frankly, given how overshadowed he is by other characters in terms of popularity, I suspect he will be de-emphasized in terms of marketing in the future and thus no longer the face of Arms.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
So I'm kind of wondering if I could make a thread that's about "No-Hopers" - characters from other fictional media who do not have a snowball's chance in hell of appearing in Smash, but would be fun to make ideas for anyways.

The reason I want to do this is because I've been rolling ideas around in my head for a Garfield moveset.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one in the world who actually likes Garfield...

D

Deleted member

So I'm kind of wondering if I could make a thread that's about "No-Hopers" - characters from other fictional media who do not have a snowball's chance in hell of appearing in Smash, but would be fun to make ideas for anyways.

The reason I want to do this is because I've been rolling ideas around in my head for a Garfield moveset.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one in the world who actually likes Garfield...
Hey I do like Garfield too.

Though I don't think such a thread would run well.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

I remember during the original Smash 4 speculation days, as opposed to the port/Smash 5 days, there was an Impossible Characters thread for things like that.

So there's definitely precedence. Not sure if Zebs would be okay with it though.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Garfield's side+B is "newspaper", where he pulls out a rolled up newspaper and uses it as a weapon. It has a 1 in 7 chance of being a "weekend edition" which is much thicker and has much more KO power.

Last edited:

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
I'd like to go back to actually talking about characters that could appear, especially if you're already suggesting making a thread for No-Hopers anyway...

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Maybe Spring Man could get in as a playable character (maybe Ribbon Girl too if she gets in as a semi clone) and Twintelle could get in as an Assist Trophy?
I'd like to see Spring Man just so we can get Ribbon Girl as a clone. I like her.

The bar is lower now than it was then.

If Sylux has a large role in Prime 4 I'd say his chances would be fairly good.
I don't play Metroid, but I always wanted Sylux. I still wouldn't consider him remotely likely if he was in Prime 4 even if he was the main villian. Sakurai tends to stick to characters most people would recognize and are relevant to the series as a whole.

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Agreed; timing is the big thing for Sylux. If this upcoming Smash game somehow coincides with Metroid Prime 4's release, or if they're doing DLC or rolling updates by that point, he's got a chance. But if not, he'll need to still be involved when the next Smash game rolls around...

splat

Smash Lord
I don't play Metroid, but I always wanted Sylux. I still wouldn't consider him remotely likely if he was in Prime 4 even if he was the main villian. Sakurai tends to stick to characters most people would recognize and are relevant to the series as a whole.
Thing is: what are the recognizable, relevant characters apart from Samus that would work in Smash? (Assuming Sakurai feels Ridley is better off as a boss, I'd rather stay away from this topic.)

Isolation is such a key part of Metroid (Prime 4 is supposed to be about isolation and exploration), I couldn't really think of a character that ticks these three boxes for non-Metroid fans. While I agree Metroid needs more love (much like DK), having only Samus on the roster is also kind of fitting for the franchise, I think.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Did we already forgot how pre-Smash 4 relevancy worked?
Because it's definitely not a "planet aligning" type of timing.
I think if Smash 5 releases after Prime 4 then Sylux has a chance regardless of a year passing between the two.

If isolation was such a big deal, the Metroid series wouldn't have introduced characters other than Samus.
They didn't therefore it's not fair to say that Sylux, who's probably a big deal in Prime 4, wouldn't fit in because his game, where he plays a big part in, "is actually about isolation"

Even then, Samus does not go to an out-there planet just to boot up her computer and play Minesweeper all day, she hunts and kills alien threats that is not represented in Smash yet.
I think Sylux can represent the vast amount of enemies that want to kill Samus and THAT'S where the one-woman-vs-the-world theme kicks in.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
About Sylux, I'd say the existence of Metroid Prime 4 is a boost enough to his chances. How much it actually increases depends how big a role Sylux plays in the game.

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace

You're not alone my friend, Garfield in the 80's was some of the best damn comic humor around. I'd like to see that thread, simply because I have a burning desire for an Ed Edd n Eddy moveset..

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
There aren't any. That's why Metroid doesn't need any new characters.
No series "needs" new characters. But if Sylux has a key role in Prime 4 like is being hinted at, he's definitely a contender.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
You know who I suddenly have an intense desire to see playable in Smash?

Marshadow. A cute, but extremely powerful legendary Pokémon that looks like a dark Chao.

Also, Fighting/Ghost type. Does he have a chance? Probably not, but if we got it and Decidueye, I would be soooooooooo excited.

"Too many Pokémon." Your opinion.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
No series "needs" new characters. But if Sylux has a key role in Prime 4 like is being hinted at, he's definitely a contender.
I have to respectfully disagree. But, I guess Sakurai is always open minded when it comes to considering characters, like Krystal for example.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Hang on, are we going with Sylux because he's interesting and prominent in Metroid Prime story? Or simply because he's the next best Metroid rep that's realistic? I didn't pay attention to the Prime games enough to know if he's important or not.

Marshadow. A cute, but extremely powerful legendary Pokémon that looks like a dark Chao.

Also, Fighting/Ghost type. Does he have a chance? Probably not, but if we got it and Decidueye, I would be soooooooooo excited.

I wouldn't rule out Marshadow just yet, it's the gen 7 mini legendary and it's got a lot of potential. It's also likely to get the spotlight in the near future, though it's got more of a chance to be in Pokken than Smash. It's also got the makings of a good thief character, as it's signature attack Spectral Thief steal stat changes which can be translated over in Smash as stealing held items.

Also I don't think that many people would complain about there being too many Pokemon, it's Ninty's second-in-command game series just behind Mario so they're allowed more reps.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team

I hadn't thought about Marshadow before but now that you've mentioned him I'd bet he's more likely than most would give him credit for, it would be our first mythical pokemon (Also, before someone inevitably brings it up, no, mythicals aren't just the same thing as legendaries, it's a little more complicated than that) to be playable after-all, so he definitely could represent something that hasn't been covered by any other playable mon yet. Not sure whether or not I'd want Marshadow, but I think you've got a good idea.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Hang on, are we going with Sylux because he's interesting and prominent in Metroid Prime story? Or simply because he's the next best Metroid rep that's realistic? I didn't pay attention to the Prime games enough to know if he's important or not.

I wouldn't rule out Marshadow just yet, it's the gen 7 mini legendary and it's got a lot of potential. It's also likely to get the spotlight in the near future, though it's got more of a chance to be in Pokken than Smash. It's also got the makings of a good thief character, as it's signature attack Spectral Thief steal stat changes which can be translated over in Smash as stealing held items.

Also I don't think that many people would complain about there being too many Pokemon, it's Ninty's second-in-command game series just behind Mario so they're allowed more reps.
I mean Sylux is really really cool, it also looks like he's going to be the next prominent villain in that series, and his character is shrouded in mystery at the moment. Overall people that know about him tend to really like him AND he makes sense. Metroid being severely underrepped, and him having a sensible body type by Sakurai's standards just plays into his chances, I think.

I really think Sylux would be a great character though, but I will admit if I had to choose between him and Ridley, I'm picking Ridley.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

Like I've mentioned before, a playable appearance in Pokken Tournament does not guarantee a playable spot in Smash Bros.. And it works the other way around too, as Jigglypuff and Greninja are not Pokken Tournament contenders.

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace

You're right! He'd be the first playable mythical Pokémon! :0

I do think you bring up a good point that he probably has a better chance of being in Pokkén. We will just have to wait and see!

I'm sure Decidueye has a much better chance though.

Just for the record, I would be fine with an "impossible characters" thread, but I would ask that discussion stay in that thread.

Stuff like Garfield and Goku does't really have a place in threads like this one :p

D

Deleted member

As long as they don't outnumber the Mario characters, there's never too much Pokémon characters in Smash.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
In my opinion, any damn series can outnumber the Mario franchise as long as they bring something fresh to the table. Let Fire Emblem get 18 reps if Sakurai wills it, as long as they're not a clonefest.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Y'know something I just realized, Zelda is in bad need of a new rep. Only five characters and two of them are Links while another two are Zeldas, and then there's Ganondorf who's a semi-clone of a character not even in his franchise. They only have 5 because two characters from Brawl were split apart. I guess the only issue is aside from the main three characters, I can't think of many characters who have continued to appear throughout the games in the series. In my opinion Impa hasn't done enough throughout the series, and Tingle probably wouldn't be well recieved as a new playable character. I guess that leaves us with only one option......

upload_2017-6-21_14-48-31.jpeg

Seriously though, this guy would be an awesome new character in Smash Bros.

Putting arbitrary rules about who gets more "reps" will always be silly to me.

I understand that something like mario being the only mario charactee would be absyrd, but some series just arent good for gwtting new characters while some are amazing at it

some have great non-character content while some are focused on just characters.

Focusing on reps and nothing else seems so pointless to me, when there is so much more, especially how enjoyable characters can be, regardless of their series

Staarih

Smash Master
Sylux looks cool with an interesting design, he seems to be on the road to becoming more prominent in the series and a major character in a future Metroid game (Prime 4?) which leads to more exposure, I guess he also works better in Smash and/or is easier to implement...

...but to me it would still be a slap in the face if Sylux got in before Ridley.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom