• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Speaking of duo characters :popo::4olimar::rosalina::4duckhunt:

There's one duo character I really want: Team Rocket :052::202:

D

Deleted member

So far they've only announed 2 3DS games, the Metroid 2 remake and that sushi game, so I don't think there's anything spectacular coming on day 3.
And also Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions, officially.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Pikmin 4 got confirmed by miyamoto he said: "I've been told not to share anything about this from PR, but I can tell you it is progressing." -Miyamoto

So theres still a decent chance Smash is happening (that bestbuy Canada leak said pikmin and smash for switch).

if we'll hear about it anytime soon remains to be seen but nintendo does like to hold off a bit so they can show stuff for their directs...

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Pikmin 4 got confirmed by miyamoto he said: "I've been told not to share anything about this from PR, but I can tell you it is progressing." -Miyamoto

So theres still a decent chance Smash is happening (that bestbuy Canada leak said pikmin and smash for switch).

if we'll hear about it anytime soon remains to be seen but nintendo does like to hold off a bit so they can show stuff for their directs...
I don't think Miyamoto talking about Pikmin (Isn't that something we already knew about) has any bearing on Smash's chances. It's likely to happen based on popularity though.

Edit: Conversation killer, apparently lol.

Last edited:

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I was super thrown off at the E3 Direct cutting off after 25 minutes. How can they not announce Smash? What nonsense is this?

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
I was waiting 5 hours for new games in the Nintendo Treehouse, the only thing i saw is just gameplay.
Should we wait for Smash for Switch in 2018?

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm starting to think some of you need to play other games for a while.

Smash is great but its not everything.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well too be fair this is the Smash for Switch speculation board :chuckle:
And on a website dedicated to Smash. :p

That being said I do think we'll get a port announcement before the end of the year, if there's a port at all.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Reggie's discussion with IGN (I know the internet hates IGN but whatever) seemed to echo what a lot of people on here were saying. If there is a port, it won't be a straight port. They want to port the definitive version of the game over. So that's really encouraging news (that most suspected, just nice to hear from a Nintendo executive) regarding extra content being in SM4SH for Switch! :)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Much talk about Rex & Pyra since last page. As usual I didn't read anything less than a bit of skimming through.

So.

I think they are likely yeah. And if next Smash is some sort of port, Shulk might just stay. I could easily see him become low priority next Smash.

Also Metroid got two games now, and a remake that's actually worth a damn, so now I just want to see some new Kong content. Otherwise I go ape. Or just complain on the internet, which is a more civil yet unproductive thing.

Switch looks good though with an after thought. 3DS even more actually, as they are much cheaper anyway. If this job don't kick me out for at least 6 months, I might just get one. For Switch, I want a new DKC game and hopefully a Tropical Freeze port. This game is the only true 'loss' I felt in gaming ever since I discontinued being a Nintendo costumer after the Wii era.

Smash will probably be great anyway, I just hope it won't focus too much on third party developers and their characters again. I just have a feeling that anything that's "relevant" and marginale with third party developers is the only thing I can expect now. Like, Inkling, Rex & Pyra, Ice Climbers, Bomberman, Rayman, Shovel Knight... I could imagine them being the only newcomers. If it's a port. New game? I fear even for Diddy not being in it honestly.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Much talk about Rex & Pyra since last page. As usual I didn't read anything less than a bit of skimming through.

So.

I think they are likely yeah. And if next Smash is some sort of port, Shulk might just stay. I could easily see him become low priority next Smash.

Also Metroid got two games now, and a remake that's actually worth a damn, so now I just want to see some new Kong content. Otherwise I go ape. Or just complain on the internet, which is a more civil yet unproductive thing.

Switch looks good though with an after thought. 3DS even more actually, as they are much cheaper anyway. If this job don't kick me out for at least 6 months, I might just get one. For Switch, I want a new DKC game and hopefully a Tropical Freeze port. This game is the only true 'loss' I felt in gaming ever since I discontinued being a Nintendo costumer after the Wii era.

Smash will probably be great anyway, I just hope it won't focus too much on third party developers and their characters again. I just have a feeling that anything that's "relevant" and marginale with third party developers is the only thing I can expect now. Like, Inkling, Rex & Pyra, Ice Climbers, Bomberman, Rayman, Shovel Knight... I could imagine them being the only newcomers. If it's a port. New game? I fear even for Diddy not being in it honestly.
I don't think you should even worry about Diddy being back in Smash. If Ganondorf can retain his current moveset regardless of fan response, you can bet they won't change a thing about Diddy or even cut him due to negativity from the community. That's just a dumb reason to cut him.
As for DK content, I feel you. Just a wet dream, but the fact that we've gone so long without seeing Retro's project and Prime 4 isn't being made by them gives me hope that it's either an ambitious revival/new IP or a 3D DK game. I would lose my mind!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

So.

There's literally no way Diddy would ever be cut. Unique, popular, important, irreplaceable. No need to fear it, really.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Yeah I can't see Diddy being cut. Also, who is complaining about him? (besides the tournament community, who Nintendo doesn't seem to even give a 2nd glance to lol)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
With reboots anything is possible. But yeah I think he's safe too actually.

Retro not making Prime 4 is a big surprise actually. Haven't seen or noticed any developer's brand in the announcement of Prime 4.

Seems that they are indeed trying to address most franchises, so I just hope Donkey Kong don't get left out.

Then there was this stand with a DK statue probably playing DKCR or TP on E3 itself, and it got me excited for a second. And I missed Iwata's presence a lot actually... maybe that's unconsciously another reasons why I didn't "feel" this E3.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well that's it for this year. Lot of good stuff but no Smash. Still we've got Pokken to satisfy the directional button presses cravings.

P.Kay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
plenty.kay
3DS FC
3153-8243-0352
I don't see a reason for Diddy being cut, he is a very popular character and does well in Smash.

On another note, I'd like to see a new DK game after seeing the treatment Metroid is getting.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I don't expect you of all people to lose hope like this. Its depressive. I can relate to you. I want Smash to stay mostly old school.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
I doubt Diddy Kong would be cut. The DK franchise may even gain a character if people speak loud enough. As for third parties, I am personally fine with them characters as long as the characters are video game characters by origin, have a Nintendo appearance, and those standards are kept with the developers.

I'm more interested in keeping the main Smash game very good while improving other aspects of the game, like improving menu navigation, better single player experiences, good balancing, making custom moves not only better, but all of them be ready out of the box if returning, and better move designs for certain characters (I'm looking at you, Ganondorf). A great music selection is always a necessity and is welcomed.

For my personal wants...
  • More true alternate costumes. Plus, crossover outfits that keep within Smash's limitations and fit the character wearing the outfit in multiple aspects.
  • Expanding the Vault similar to the Namco Museum collections on PS1. Make players feel immersed in the worlds of the franchises in Smash as they view the trophies, models of playable fighters, seeing franchise history, talking to the franchise's NPCs, fun interactions, getting costumes and accessories for Miis . Simultaneously, bringing a social hub for Smash players that don't want to fight at the moment instead of makeshift hangout places in the games. Oh, and a quick mode for the "get on with it" players.
  • Optional changes in menu looks, backgrounds, and sounds based on franchises in Smash.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I doubt Diddy Kong would be cut. The DK franchise may even gain a character if people speak loud enough. As for third parties, I am personally fine with them characters as long as the characters are video game characters by origin, have a Nintendo appearance, and those standards are kept with the developers.

I'm more interested in keeping the main Smash game very good while improving other aspects of the game, like improving menu navigation, better single player experiences, good balancing, making custom moves not only better, but all of them be ready out of the box if returning, and better move designs for certain characters (I'm looking at you, Ganondorf). A great music selection is always a necessity and is welcomed.

For my personal wants...
  • More true alternate costumes. Plus, crossover outfits that keep within Smash's limitations and fit the character wearing the outfit in multiple aspects.
  • Expanding the Vault similar to the Namco Museum collections on PS1. Make players feel immersed in the worlds of the franchises in Smash as they view the trophies, models of playable fighters, seeing franchise history, talking to the franchise's NPCs, fun interactions, getting costumes and accessories for Miis . Simultaneously, bringing a social hub for Smash players that don't want to fight at the moment instead of makeshift hangout places in the games. Oh, and a quick mode for the "get on with it" players.
  • Optional changes in menu looks, backgrounds, and sounds based on franchises in Smash.
K.Rool says hi.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm starting to think some of you need to play other games for a while.

Smash is great but its not everything.
I have been playing Magikarp Jump, Pokémon Shuffle, and Super Mario Run lately. :p

It would be nice to have a Find Mii mobile game. I think that would be pretty fun and it would help Wandering Heroes stay relevant for a little bit longer.

I can't wait for Zelda DLC to come... I want that Korok mask so I can find the seeds.

MrNantendo

Smash Cadet
User was warned for this post
At this point I reckon Smash is a new game and we will see gameplay of it next year. It depends if it is Sakurai's current project or not though. I still need to see that Kirby 3DS game. It was weird they didn't show it off at this E3.

https://twitter.com/MrNantendo/status/875681635060125696 Next poll time.

This time it goes to the stars of Physical 3DS titles.

Last edited by a moderator:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
At this point I reckon Smash is a new game and we will see gameplay of it next year. It depends if it is Sakurai's current project or not though. I still need to see that Kirby 3DS game. It was weird they didn't show it off at this E3.
They did show it off at E3 it just wasn't a 3DS game

https://youtu.be/sdaRkC1mQqg

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I'm assuming the reason the 3DS Kirby game wasn't shown (and possibly Smash Bros as well if it's in development/ready to be shown off) was because they wanted ARMS and Pokken to get as much attention as they could, the 3DS Kirby game is going to be "action fighting game" according to HAL so it might have cannibalized some of ARMS and Pokken's sales if they showed it off near them.

Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
I've been thinking about this and I believe Smash's no-show at E3 means that if the port is happening there isn't going to be any major 3rd party characters coming to the port as I think E3 would've been a good place to reveal the game if there was a major character coming. This could also apply to regular newcomers like Inkling but to a lesser extent. I could be entirely wrong on this, but at this point it would not surprise me if we just got :popo: and :wolf:.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Honestly I expected it was also likely to not be there given the already strong line up happening and port/sequel splatoon 2 in the works.

It'll happen along with mario maker and other popular games in the future.

D

Deleted member

A topic I've already brought a long time ago, but why not to bring it again: which fighting game archetypes are still not present in Smash and which newcomers would fill them?

Luminario

Smash Lord
A topic I've already brought a long time ago, but why not to bring it again: which fighting game archetypes are still not present in Smash and which newcomers would fill them?
I always love an excuse to bring up Ashley, she's the clear choice for a debuffing character.
We have yet to get a summoner (if we're not including Jr's mechakoopa or Olimar's Pikmin), but I'm drawing a blank on who could embody that archetype well besides Pauline with the mini figurines or Adeleine with her drawings, neither of which are particularly likely.
The Thief archetype is pretty much Anna's territory, though Mimikyu or a Final Fantasy/ Bravely Default character could somewhat fill the role too.
A trap based character is something we don't have anymore thanks to Snake being cut, though we have pseudo-traps with Jr and ROB. Isabelle and Nikki come to my biased mind to fill such roles.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I always love an excuse to bring up Ashley, she's the clear choice for a debuffing character.
We have yet to get a summoner (if we're not including Jr's mechakoopa or Olimar's Pikmin), but I'm drawing a blank on who could embody that archetype well besides Pauline with the mini figurines or Adeleine with her drawings, neither of which are particularly likely.
The Thief archetype is pretty much Anna's territory, though Mimikyu or a Final Fantasy/ Bravely Default character could somewhat fill the role too.
A trap based character is something we don't have anymore thanks to Snake being cut, though we have pseudo-traps with Jr and ROB. Isabelle and Nikki come to my biased mind to fill such roles.
For a trap charcter medusa can do a great job at filling that role.

I'd like to see ashley. Debuffing is a great idea would be basically the oppsoite of shulk. Works on others and makes them perform worse.

Plus I just want more magic users in general and Ashley is also one of the few non-normal humanoid characters. (Not proportions of say all the FE characters , Link ect)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Grappler? I kinda want a Pro Wrestling character. Oh, hell... why not all of them. Fighter Hayabusa could be the default wrestler and the others are alternate characters similar to Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings.

Oh... there are 7 wrestlers in Pro Wrestling. I guess the 8th wrestler could be that unnamed wrestler in orange mask and costume who wasn't in the game but on the North American box art or a shirtless Starman from the European box art.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Just about everything is covered already, I think. It's more about doing new and interesting things within those archetypes.

...Okay, I stand corrected, we don't have a true summoner or saboteur yet. Though those may be rather difficult to implement.

If by a thief you mean a fragile speedster type who needs to weave in and out to rack up damage over time, we do have a few hit-and-run fighters. Pikachu and Sonic come to mind in particular.

We also have a few trappers even with Snake gone. Diddy and R.O.B. are the obvious ones--the latter in particular gets a lot off gyro confirms--while Dedede has situational traps with his gordos and Robin has two trapping moves in Arcthunder and Arcfire that have different uses!

Grappler.
Incineroar.

'Nuff said.
Er...Bowser, DK, Luigi, Ness, Falcon, Diddy, et cetera? Traditional grapplers don't work well in platform fighters. Instead, Smash has characters who merely have good grabs and strong rewards from landing grabs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom