• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
A port of Smash with new content and characters I think would be bigger news than the Zelda DLC they showed.
Nah, I don't think so, especially considering that Smash4 was already a well successful game on the Wii U (.. for what the system could have done), with that many people already played. Nintendo can't release every Wii U game on the Switch (and they shouldn't, imo), and even with the current ports out and to launch, they need a space between to breath with enough new games for the system... is already getting a bad image.

If they announce the port, it's gonna be in a Direct, more for their core fans than in a gigantic conference as E3.

EDIT: I mean, not that DLC stuff for Zelda was E3 material either, mind.

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I'm on Team Wait for this. Just because E3 is the biggest press event of the year doesn't mean a Smash 4 port had to show up here. This turn of events was unexpected, but it doesn't mean every rumor and bit of speculation we've done stops mattering.

Especially since unlike every other big name company, this isn't now-or-never for Nintendo, not when they get everyone's attention with their Directs every 2-3 months anyway. They might not actually have much to lose from waiting to reveal it until September or so, if it won't be out until next March or even the spring.

Makes me wish I could just stare at an open flame and try to divine the future...

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Does anyone else think Rex & Pyra could be interesting candidates for Smash? I already thought that the protagonist of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 would have a decent shot but now that we know Rex & Pyra work together rather than on their own it could add something more unique to bring to Smash Bros.

That is assuming Smash Bros for Switch is currently a thing and not just in our imaginations....
Im not sure. They are interesting but i think I still find Elma far more appealing. Idk how pyra could be incorporated unless shes in the background like poke trainer and im not a fan of that. It would be like nana and popo but pyra would barely attack.
Gave it some thought. Do you see how Zelda can summon a Phantom or Robin can call out to Chrom for help as he sees fit whenever he has a Smash ball? Well Rex, while working as a standalone fighter most of the time, could use Pyra as that type of 'companion'. One special could have Pyra fuse in with his sword, giving it a fire gimmick; another one would have her make a physical appearance, popping out of... the sword? the air? (whatever) to unleash a dual blade slash attack like we can see in the trailer: http://i63.tinypic.com/30k39mc.png I reckon it would work exactly like Shulk's Backslash, except with two people doing it for the sake of aesthetics.
I take everything back. That makes so mucj sense haha.

Still, I find Elma's character and moveset more appealing. I think the artsyle did help in making me less excited about XC2 than XCX in general too...and the dull second trailer.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I feel like, the longer they hold off announcing a port, the more dissapointed most people will be getting if they do end up announcing one. I mean, some people are already starting to complain about Nintendo porting their games to the Switch, especially after the Pokken announcement.

If there really was a Smash 4 port, they should have announced it sooner instead of holding off too long to do so to a point where most people would rather see a brand new Smash with lots of new characters, stages and modes etc than a port that only does a small fraction of that.

That's just my opinion though.

Last edited:

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
What of Duck Hunt Dog? It's two characters in one minus the technical issues. Rex and Pyra could work just as fine as DHD does.

This needs to be in Smash 5 if a New Donk City stage is a thing. It HAS to. (there's a 5-second gap at the beginning)
I don't know if it's going to be instrumental if it makes it in, but dang, that song is super catchy.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I don't know if it's going to be instrumental if it makes it in, but dang, that song is super catchy.
Really??

Man, I always feel like such an outsider with you SM4SH fans when it comes to music. I remember in the early leaks days people would constantly talk about songs (which never even crossed my mind) that they wanted added, and I always hated them. This kind of music puts me in a really bad mood lol. No idea why! And this isn't meant to insult you guys, I'm obviously the minority, it's just really interesting how different people hear music.

Anyway, no Smash at e3 was expected, and I wouldn't be suprised if we don't hear about anything until next year. I know that a Smash Port is a "given", but this is Nintendo, and I've learned to NEVER make any assumptions.

If a port IS announced, I also wouldn't get my hopes up for newcomers, as Smash newcomers are much harder to implement than Mario Kart. But I would be beyond ecstatic if we got some :D

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oh hey, look who shows up in Odyssey.

:D

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I thought it would be Chrom.
Outrealm shenanigans haven't gotten that far yet. :p

But yeah, I'm actually pretty excited to see Captain Toad again. He's quickly becoming a staple ever since his debut in Galaxy.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
I think Smash not showing up at E3 wasn't a huge shocker. As many of you have stated, Nintendo probably wanted to give other games like ARMS and Pokken a chance. Also Nintendo probably didn't feel a port of Smash Wii U would've been quite an E3 level reveal. My guess is we will get this at a direct before 2017 closes.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Oh hey, look who shows up in Odyssey.

:D
Has Captain Toad been eating Super Mushrooms lately? He's supposed to be shorter than Mario.

I feel like, the longer they hold off announcing a port, the more dissapointed most people will be getting if they do end up announcing one. I mean, some people are already starting to complain about Nintendo porting their games to the Switch, especially after the Pokken announcement.

If there really was a Smash 4 port, they should have announced it sooner instead of holding off too long to do so to a point where most people would rather see a brand new Smash with lots of new characters, stages and modes etc than a port that only does a small fraction of that.

That's just my opinion though.
My best guess is that Nintendo doesn't want Pokken Tournament DX and ARMS to get the cold shoulder for this year's E3. As such, if the company is working on a Smash Bros. port, it doesn't want to mention anything about it until some point after E3 has concluded.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I love the cameo's in Mario Odyssey.

Will there be a Sub-con universe with Wart? Wart for Smash.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I think the poll at the top of the page should be changed now to whether or not people think the Smash for Switch will be a port or a new game all together since nothing was revealed at E3.

I still vote port with a late 2017 reveal in a direct, and a Spring 2018 release. Sakurai worked too hard on that game for it to have such a short lifespan on a failed console.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Sakurai worked too hard on that game for it to have such a short lifespan on a failed console.
That could end up being an inevitable dilemma, as not every Wii U title with positive reviews will receive Switch ports. In fact, some Wii U titles received 3DS ports, but frankly, the 3DS version of Super Mario Maker is heavily inferior to the Wii U version for its lack of amiibo support and inability to upload courses online.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
That could end up being an inevitable dilemma, as not every Wii U title with positive reviews will receive Switch ports. In fact, some Wii U titles received 3DS ports, but frankly, the 3DS version of Super Mario Maker is heavily inferior to the Wii U version for its lack of amiibo support and inability to upload courses online.
I know not every successful Wii U game will get a port, but this is Smash we are talking about. One of Nintendo's biggest, money making franchises. That, and it already has a 3DS version.

I have several reasons why I believe we will get a port if we get Smash at all in the next year. I'll be happy to discuss them.

However, if it isn't announced before year's end, that will put another nail in the coffin for a possible port, AND if we don't see it at the next E3, then we won't get a port at all, and we'll get Sma5h in 2-3 more years. I just don't think Nintendo would make the mistake of waiting that long again for Smash. Also, Sakurai worked so hard on this game, it'd be much easier to port it with a combination of Wii U and 3DS content, and add 3-7 more characters, and some new stages than to ask him to start all over again after only 1.5 years. That'd be such a slap in the face to his work.

"Hey great game, now start all over again immediately."

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Sakurai pours his heart and soul on every game he works on and pushes the respective systems he works on to their very limits, Kirby, Kid Icarus and of course, Smash. Not just with Smash 4. Now that I think about it, I think I'd rather see a port/remake of Kid Icarus Uprising (If it's really not getting a new game within the next 25 years...) than Smash 4 really....

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Sakurai pours his heart and soul on every game he works on and pushes the respective systems he works on to their very limits, Kirby, Kid Icarus and of course, Smash. Not just with Smash 4. Now that I think about it, I think I'd rather see a port/remake of Kid Icarus Uprising (If it's not getting a new game) than Smash 4 really....
That's what I am saying. He works so hard. To the point of causing himself harm. It'd be a shame to have him work so hard on a game only to have it's potential lifespan be 1.5 years. If we are getting a Smash For Switch in the next year, it's got to be a port. The man works too hard to have to push himself harder to create an entirely new game on a franchise he has stated time and time again he is tired of working on.

Side note: I think a Kid Icarus is probably in the works for Switch as we speak. Maybe early development, but in development none the less. Maybe it's one of the projects he is working on that isn't Smash related.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Sakurai pours his heart and soul on every game he works on and pushes the respective systems he works on to their very limits, Kirby, Kid Icarus and of course, Smash. Not just with Smash 4.
Nothing about the Wii U version took advantage of the system's capabilities. The Wii U gamepad should have been used as more than just another controller-type for playing the game. Touch-screen menu would have made menu navigation easier in times. Being able to customize movesets and controls on the gamepad while everyone else could stay on the character select screen on the TV would have been amazing and very convenient. Instead of Smash Tour, a sort of boss-controlling mode of one gamepad player versus up to 4 regular fighters would have been a much more fun party game with greater replay-ability. However, none of these possibilities were explored, and we effectively got a game whose only hardware-designed improvement compared to previous entries was its processing power. The Stage Builder was the only thing that made exclusive use of the gamepad, and even that received mixed reception compared to the builder in Brawl.

The point being, the way the Wii U version was executed, any of Xbox One, PS4 or PC would have been able to handle just as well. Smash of course won't ever be on one of the other systems, but to say it was working the Wii U to its very limits when the game itself didn't take advantage of the hardware it was presented with is a shoddy statement. A strength the Wii U had over 3DS was processing power, obviously, but it was its asymmetric multiplayer potential--something that games like Runbow, Star Fox Zero, Game & Wario and Nintendo Land took the most advantage of--that was ironically taken more advantage of in the 3DS version despite the Wii U being a console created on that very premise.

The Wii U version was still fantastic in the core regards of the main gameplay and the additional 8-Player Smash, of course. I'm just saying it certainly has a lot of missed opportunities that we might not ever get to take advantage of on the Switch version of Smash, regardless of whether it's a port or full sequel.

Just a bit of Devil's Advocate to that statement, by the way. I won't deny that Sakurai works hard on the series.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Its like Sakurai originally intending Smash 4 to be a 3DS exclusive was a escape from the intensity of building a console Smash.

It really makes you wonder.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I think the best thing for Sakurai would be for him to become the series producer like aounuma for Zelda so he doesnt need to actually do as much work as a director.
That's what I am saying. He works so hard. To the point of causing himself harm. It'd be a shame to have him work so hard on a game only to have it's potential lifespan be 1.5 years. If we are getting a Smash For Switch in the next year, it's got to be a port. The man works too hard to have to push himself harder to create an entirely new game on a franchise he has stated time and time again he is tired of working on.

Side note: I think a Kid Icarus is probably in the works for Switch as we speak. Maybe early development, but in development none the less. Maybe it's one of the projects he is working on that isn't Smash related.
Hmmm why is do u think that? Just a hunch? I almost have an expectation of no KI in any shape or form.

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I think the best thing for Sakurai would be for him to become the series producer like aounuma for Zelda so he doesnt need to actually do as much work as a director.

Hmmm why is do u think that? Just a hunch? I almost have an expectation of no KI in any shape or form.
It seems like Nintendo isn't messing around with their franchises this go around. We are getting Pokémon, Kirby, Yoshi, and Metroid on the Switch. Kid Icarus Uprising was popular from what I understand. Why not make a sequel for the Switch?

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
with a new Smash or not (which I believe there's a chance for 3 years from now), the Smash4 port will happen.. and even without Sakurai. Nintendo owns the IP, and they wouldn't lose the opportunity, it's just logical. There's a lot of well recieved Wii U games, but Smash4 is among the only three that are guarantee to have a second chance to sell better on the Switch.

I particullary don't mind waiting for a new game, since I'm not stop playing my Wii U anyways and ports usually don't appeal me, but from the business point of view, is natural to expect that.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It seems like Nintendo isn't messing around with their franchises this go around. We are getting Pokémon, Kirby, Yoshi, and Metroid on the Switch. Kid Icarus Uprising was popular from what I understand. Why not make a sequel for the Switch?
Uprising was successful but not successful enough that Nintendo probably sees the need to capitalize off it. They marketed the hell out of Uprising and it was only a moderate success. Maybe if they had a specific dev team that handled the IP, like they do for Mario, Zelda, Kirby, FE, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Pikmin, etc. But they don't, it's more like DK, Metroid, and Star Fox... which seem to spend a disproportionate amount of time in limbo for it.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I wasn't expecting Smash to be revealed at E3 yesterday, and frankly I'm glad if Smash hasn't begun development yet. I really want Rex & Pyra be a newcomer together. So much has been revealed for Nintendo Switch, I'd hate to see it all absent from the next Smash. Hopefully it will be more like Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 64, representing early Nintendo Switch games.

I'm still expecting the next Smash to be built from the assets of the Wii U version, but presented as a sequel. A sequel made from scratch just sounds absurd this soon for a console not even much more powerful than Wii U and not many new character design reboots with the exception of Star Fox. Hopefully they will wait at least a year and make a sequel that uses Wii U as a skeletal structure, leaving time for more newcomers and no character cuts. When it gets revealed? I don't know and I don't care. Just hopefully within the next 2-3 years. In the meantime, Smash for Wii U & 3DS provides A LOT of content and there's more Nintendo Switch games than my wallet can handle at this point.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Am I the only one that doesnt want a bunch more duo characters? We already have so many different interpretations on them, at this point it's just becoming watered down.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Am I the only one that doesnt want a bunch more duo characters? We already have so many different interpretations on them, at this point it's just becoming watered down.
It seems to me that Rex & Pyra are the only one's that warrant a duo character and would make an interesting one.

I hate when people try to apply it to anything they can like with characters that don't have real relationships or should clearly be separate. I just brought up Rex & Pyra because it would be different than Ice Climbers (two characters that just copy each other's attacks) and they actually have a relationship that warrants it.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I never liked the transformation gimmick in the first place. I'm happy it was done away with, even if for technical reasons. I just fear it might come back once those obstacles aren't present.

Transformation, not "duo" in the sense of ICs or possibly Chorus Men (edit: which would be a trio if I'm still capable of math).

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I didn't know three was "so many".
Duo characters seems like a straightforward design, it's amazing to me that Sakurai's been able to pull it off 4 different times, and make them feel all unique. At some point, they're just going to become too similar to each other, and it'll water it down as I said. So yeah, because it's unique idea that is now becoming common, I believe so many was the term I was looking for.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Duo characters seems like a straightforward design, it's amazing to me that Sakurai's been able to pull it off 4 different times, and make them feel all unique. At some point, they're just going to become too similar to each other, and it'll water it down as I said. So yeah, because it's unique idea that is now becoming common, I believe so many was the term I was looking for.
Where are you pulling four from?

Ice Climbers, Rosalina and Luma, Duck Hunt. Am I just slow tonight and forgetting one?

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I never liked the transformation gimmick in the first place. I'm happy it was done away with, even if for technical reasons. I just fear it might come back once those obstacles aren't present.
To be honest, it seems more like they consciously moved away from full moveset transformations. The 3DS' limitations pushed the subject, but it wasn't the sole deciding factor. Why do you think I've nudged multi-form Lycanroc ideas more toward partial transformations that still keep decent amounts of the movesets intact?

...Well, that and since both current forms learn 90% of the same moves, it makes sense for them to be derivative like that.

What I don't get is why so many people are assuming offhand that they would come back exactly as they were at the next possible opportunity. Why? Just because they existed first?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think he'd be more suited as a supervisor, and thus he can "form" his successor.

...Though I fear he'd be not satisfied enough and eventually still direct it anyway. :V

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
We got 3 duo characters officially. One was planned, and didn't work for reasons not entirely known.

And so far, all 3 were very unique. Getting another unique one sounds good to me. As long as they work on all versions intended(if they split Smash among 2 systems again), it's all good.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Where are you pulling four from?

Ice Climbers, Rosalina and Luma, Duck Hunt. Am I just slow tonight and forgetting one?
Olimar and Pikmin. Not a duo, but multiple characters together. Pikmin have their own Ai, and it's the same idea behind them (multiple characters fighting together on the same team).

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

Transformation, not "duo" in the sense of ICs or possibly Chorus Men (edit: which would be a trio if I'm still capable of math).
Final Smash transformations are still a thing though, but that's probably a moot point whenever the Smash Ball is taken out of the equation.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Olimar and Pikmin. Not a duo, but multiple characters together. Pikmin have their own Ai, and it's the same idea behind them (multiple characters fighting together on the same team).
I agree with being watered down slightly but 1 more won't hurt for me...not that I want Pyra and Rex lol.

Olimar and Pikmin are its own thing. They just dont count as theres a looot of pikmin.

Last edited:

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
I have a question: There are more games for Switch yet to be announced in this "Treehouse"?
If yes, tell me the schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom