• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
After seeing the footage for Fire Emblem Warriors, I am kind of wondering if you'll be able to switch Corrin's gender. Some people may want to play as male Corrin instead, but I guess only time will tell us if such a scenario will ever occur.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No Donkey Kong :urg:

Convinced am not gonna be a Switch owner just yet.

Needs Smash and DKC. So for now, I'd be even better off with a Wii U. Which I never got either.

Hopefully the Switch will drop in price by the time I want it

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
After seeing the footage for Fire Emblem Warriors, I am kind of wondering if you'll be able to switch Corrin's gender. Some people may want to play as male Corrin instead, but I guess only time will tell us if such a scenario will ever occur.
I read somewhere its just female Corrin. Good cos thats how it should be. Female version far far more popular.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I read somewhere its just female Corrin. Good cos thats how it should be. Female version far far more popular.
It will still feel awkward to not have male Corrin though. Besides, how would people feel if only male Robin was playable? It would be a big blow to the female Robin fans, assuming that Robin does manage to receive a playable role.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
It will still feel awkward to not have male Corrin though. Besides, how would people feel if only male Robin was playable? It would be a big blow to the female Robin fans, assuming that Robin does manage to receive a playable role.
Imo its an acceptable compromise. I prefer male robin and im fine with that scenario in the end.

It would make the story more awkward...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Imo its an acceptable compromise. I prefer male robin and im fine with that scenario in the end.

It would make the story more awkward...
I guess male Corrin could always be a DLC character if DLC ever gets planned in the future. His title would have to be Hoshido Prince though (the polar opposite of female Corrin's title, Nohr Princess), since male Corrin is used for Birthright's boxart.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
There probably will be an option to change Corrin's gender.

In games where there are no gender options, I just accept the characters as-is whether they are male (Mario) or female (Peach)... but in non-Smash games with gender options, I usually pick my gender (male Villager, male Wii Fit Trainer, male Inkling). In Smash, I usually select the default version regardless of gender.

D

Deleted member

A remark I put here:

I've noticed that, with all the games released after the time the Smash 4 base roster was decided, we can at least expect new stages for each of the Smash 64 8 starter characters for the next Smash like:

:4mario:Mario Odyssey stage
:4dk:Tropical Freeze stage
:4link:Breath of the Wild stage
:4samus:Metroid Prime 4 stage
:4yoshi:Yoshi Switch stage
:4kirby:...
:4fox:Star Fox Zero stage
:4pikachu:Sun and Moon or Pokémon Switch stage

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
A remark I put here:

I've noticed that, with all the games released after the time the Smash 4 base roster was decided, we can at least expect new stages for each of the Smash 64 8 starter characters for the next Smash like:

You ain't getting a Kirby stage from a game that came out later than 2003.

We almost did. Then Wooly World was a thing.
Sakurai must've breathed a huge sigh of relief knowing he could still include that art style without having to acknowledge any developments the Kirby series made without him. :p

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
We are probably getting a stage called "Milky Way Wishes" from Kirby Super Star... and Nova has a big role in the stage.

Last edited:

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
So Pauline is the mayor of New Donk City. She's done pretty well for herself. Leads me to a couple of thoughts.

(1) It's nice to see Pauline have some kind of role in a core Mario title. This could conceivably be the first time we ever see her interact with Peach.

(2) Maybe she'd play some role on a NDC stage? Looks like she's a singer too. Like maybe some kind of K.K. Slider thing?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So Pauline is the mayor of New Donk City. She's done pretty well for herself. Leads me to a couple of thoughts.

(1) It's nice to see Pauline have some kind of role in a core Mario title. This could conceivably be the first time we ever see her interact with Peach.

(2) Maybe she'd play some role on a NDC stage? Looks like she's a singer too. Like maybe some kind of K.K. Slider thing?
She's looking for some band members for her concert. It's nice of Nintendo to flesh her character out a little more.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
We are probably getting a stage called "Milky Way Wishes" from Kirby Super Star... and Nova has a big role in the stage.
We had Green Greens, Halberd and Great Cave Offensive. Once we're through Dyna Blade and Milky Way Wishes, we'll finally get something outside of Super Star!

You know, after Megaton Punch, Gourmet Race, Samurai Kirby and The Arena get their own stages...

Can't wait to see Cookie Country in Smash 11!
A remark I put here:

I feel like Mario is much more likely due for a Super Mario 3D World stage, considering that Mario's represented game is always a generation behind Melee onward. Super Mario 64 in Melee, Super Mario Sunshine in Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy in Wii U, so onward to Super Mario 3D World in Switch.

Metroid I'd likewise sooner expect SR388, between Samus Returns being further along as well as the fact that it seems like Smash is generally very light on the Prime series over Japanese-studio games in the series. I doubt Prime Federation Force or Prime 4 will get much in representation.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Does anyone else think Rex & Pyra could be interesting candidates for Smash? I already thought that the protagonist of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 would have a decent shot but now that we know Rex & Pyra work together rather than on their own it could add something more unique to bring to Smash Bros.

That is assuming Smash Bros for Switch is currently a thing and not just in our imaginations....

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
No Super Smash Bros. in the Nintendo Spotlight or during the Nintendo Treehouse live stream.

I'm not sure if they'd just casually reveal it during the Nintendo Treehouse live stream tomorrow or Thursday either...

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
No Super Smash Bros. in the Nintendo Spotlight or during the Nintendo Treehouse live stream.

I'm not sure if they'd just casually reveal it during the Nintendo Treehouse live stream tomorrow or Thursday either...
I mean, they might if its just an enhanced port. Or they may wait until a regular Direct to announce it. An actual Smash 5 would be worthy of fanfare and a great reveal. Smash 4 Deluxe, to me, doesn't need much more hullabaloo than Mario Kart 8 Deluxe got.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Does anyone else think Rex & Pyra could be interesting candidates for Smash? I already thought that the protagonist of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 would have a decent shot but now that we know Rex & Pyra work together rather than on their own it could add something more unique to bring to Smash Bros.

That is assuming Smash Bros for Switch is currently a thing and not just in our imaginations....
:popo: work together. What can Rex and Pyra do to differentiate themselves from the Ice Climbers?

_Sheik

Smash Lord
:popo: work together. What can Rex and Pyra do to differentiate themselves from the Ice Climbers?
What of Duck Hunt Dog? It's two characters in one minus the technical issues. Rex and Pyra could work just as fine as DHD does.

This needs to be in Smash 5 if a New Donk City stage is a thing. It HAS to. (there's a 5-second gap at the beginning)

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Like Duck Hunt? So... are you suggesting piggybacking so Rex and Pyra would fight like one?

Luminario

Smash Lord
Sooooo, Mayor Pauline for Smash Switch?

I mean, I'd rather they didn't, thanks to both of them seeming rather boring and Pyra's jarring design (seriously, it's like they shove 2 tennis balls down her bra, I could not stop laughing. What is it with game designers and having no idea how breasts work?) but I did see potential tag team thing going on for them. I wasn't really paying that much attention to the gameplay so did they show off any unique abilities thanks to the tag team? Or was it just a way to throw in a highly sexualised character in the game to just stand there behind the main guy as he fights?

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Gave it some thought. Do you see how Zelda can summon a Phantom or Robin can call out to Chrom for help as he sees fit whenever he has a Smash ball? Well Rex, while working as a standalone fighter most of the time, could use Pyra as that type of 'companion'. One special could have Pyra fuse in with his sword, giving it a fire gimmick; another one would have her make a physical appearance, popping out of... the sword? the air? (whatever) to unleash a dual blade slash attack like we can see in the trailer: http://i63.tinypic.com/30k39mc.png I reckon it would work exactly like Shulk's Backslash, except with two people doing it for the sake of aesthetics.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I liked all the X2 designs... except for Rex. Seriously why did they have to make him look so boring?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If New Donk City ends up being a stage option, then I could see Pauline making a stage cameo. Other than that, a mere trophy cameo is pretty much her only chance.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I wonder if they'll update Samus's suit in the next Smash like they did for Smash 3DS/U or if they'll just keep her Other M suit.
If there is a Smash 4 port, it will come when you least expected.
I'm assuming this means it actually came out yesterday when nobody was looking and we just haven't noticed yet.

Rosalinatehplumber

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mariotrains
Switch FC
2537-5587-9586
At the main event?

Darn, all the speculation has made me cynical.
No. I'm saying that it could happen at any switch direct when you aren't thinking about. For instance, Cloud's reveal. We expected a character that day, but no one thought it would be Cloud. Like a surprise.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
No. I'm saying that it could happen at any switch direct when you aren't thinking about. For instance, Cloud's reveal. We expected a character that day, but no one thought it would be Cloud. Like a surprise.
what happens when you think about Smash at every direct

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I honestly can't see Smash 4 coming to Switch anymore.

Which is fine by me IMO.

Hope Sakurai is well rested though, cos he's about to be buuuuusy.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I honestly can't see Smash 4 coming to Switch anymore.

Which is fine by me IMO.

Hope Sakurai is well rested though, cos he's about to be buuuuusy.
IIRC he's not even full-time employed by Nintendo just contracted for specific games, he has no obligation to work on anything for the Switch or be "busy" at all, if that's what you were implying.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Yeah, I just thought that in that time, if it existed, they'd make a big deal out of it.

Unless they want to give more of an opportunity for Pokken and Arms to shine.
At this point, I think they're just rebuilding it from the ground up. This gives Pokken and ARMS a chance, and keeps Smash Bros out of the dairy farm. That's how I'm choosing to look at this right now at least, I think it's too late for a port now anyway.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
So, I knew it that Smash wouldn't show up at E3 (and no, I don't have any expectation for the next days.. would love to be wrong, but I don't believe).. but I still waiting for a announcement later this year for a release in the next; Smash is a big series, yes, but a port of a 2014 is not really big news for E3.. a Nintendo is already doing this too much with old games on the Switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom