• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
You answered your own question, there.

If he doesn't know about Sora's rights, then the characters he's talking about have to be Geno + Mallow.
If that's the case, it would make for an interesting conclusion. Sora would seem like the obvious fake to just about everyone.

Pakky

Smash Hero
That's what I'm hoping for. I can't sink in money for a PS4, really for only one game.

Plus I want Sora in Smash so win-win.
That's what I'm saying half a grand for KH3 and like three other games (maybe) just isn't ideal. The Switch is affordable getting more so from the news, and I can play just about everything including Crash and hopefully Spyro in my bed while I drink tea.

Also 60 dollars for online? Nope did this back in high school with the 360 ain't doing this again.

Last edited:

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
about the Microsoft rumor: sounds too good to be true lmao
I know Microsoft is being more lenient and stuff with the Minecraft skins or cross online play but I think stuff such as publishing a game in their competition's console (I know Sony is their biggest competition but Nintendo is competition too) is too much

also what's this rumor on KH3 on Switch?

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Honestly, it doesn't make a difference to me whether or not this guy is referring to Sora or Geno/Mallow. I had such little confidence in either of these guys getting in Smash that a disconfirmation of both isn't all too shocking.

Which is ironic because I'm a Ridley supporter. If there was ever a character people would automatically chalk up as deconfirmed...

Burb

The Absolute Worst
He's not even really "dancing around the question". His exact quote was "“Fake” as in it includes characters I know won’t be in Smash". It's pretty natural to just say "characters" instead of saying "Geno, Mallow, and Sora".

Personally, I think he's disconfirming all three, and you guys are overanalyzing the importance of his wording.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Ike is a character who has good range and power and laggy moves. He's supposed to hit little, but hits HARD when he does.

Corrin is a character who is all about spacing. Lots of range and less power, but has all the tools needed to keep the opponent at certain ranges.

They aren't even close and saying they are shows fundamental misunderstandings of both characters and Smash in general.
They’re both about spacing, hitting hard, keeping people in the proper range, have bad mobility, bad recoveries, mediocre frame data overall, in general have similar ranges...

And then Corrin has everything and the kitchen sink over Ike.

Better Ike is not a unique character.

Yeah:

I think you just want to sound like a sophisticated critic because you can complain about things that other people think are cool.

Where did you get the idea that Ike and Corrin are remotely similar in any way?
The pros. People say that Corrin is better Ike all the time, even on this very site. You act like it’s an uncommon opinion.

you said so much wrong stuff that its actually incredible. like seriously calling corrin an ike with more stuff? giving springman corrin's moveset? just...what?
Yeah, what? I don’t understand what you’re trying to say in between spewing memes.

Why wouldn’t Corrin’s moveset fit Springman? What does Ike have over Corrin? And I mean something that matters...

Roberk

Smash Champion
I'd be disappointed if Microsoft was involved in Smash but there's not Master Cheif/Halo content.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I kinda follow your logic but I don't really agree with the conclusion you came to. Masked Man dancing around the question does hold merit towards the idea of Squ-enix rep(s), but that simply be referring to Cloud's inclusion.
But Cloud wasn't part of the Imgur leak AT ALL. Since the subject here was the Imgur Leak.

You answered your own question, there.

If he doesn't know about Sora's rights, then the characters he's talking about have to be Geno + Mallow.

Personally, I think he's disconfirming all three, and you're overanalyzing the importance of his wording. His exact quote was "“Fake” as in it includes characters I know won’t be in Smash". It's pretty natural to just say "characters" instead of saying "Geno, Mallow, and Sora".
That's true!
Though if that's really true...Damnit, Geno, you were so close to be in thanks to the mii costume... ;-;
Time to get our sad trumpet Genobros.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Corrin right now is just better Ike and nothing more.
Excuse me, but what?
Let's simplify it to a move by move basis:
Neutral B - A charge explosion vs. a paralyzing projectile that ends in a bite. No other characters share a similar attack.
Side B -A forward lunge with a hit at the end vs. an extended spike that sets Corrin in place, giving them the option to kick, jump back or fall down. No one else shares anything like this.
Up B - Ike tosses his sword in an arc, going down with it vs. a burst upwards, similar to Pit's but damaging.
Down B - Counter. Ike swings his sword in front of him in the direction of the hit vs Corrin's counter that hits the entire area around them.
Jab - A three hit combo that ends in a strong hit vs. a three hit combo that ends in a multi-hit. This is shared with pretty much every character
Down tilt and f tilt are pretty standard moves they share with lots of characters in function
Up tilt - Ike's swings his sword up harshly, Corrin spins it above him.
Neutral air - Ike circles his sword around him, while Corrin uses their arm to hit behind them, too.
Forward air - Ike swings his sword full force, a kill move. Corrin's fair has little knockback and strings into itself or up-air. These moves can't be farther apart.
Up air - Ike spins his sword above him, Corrin swings their sword in an arc. Looks different and has different frame data, while their use is similar.
Down air - Ike smashes his sword downwards, meteor effect vs. Corrin turns their legs into a spike and falls down at high speed.
Back air - Ike swings his sword back vs. Corrin strikes with their wings and is pushed forward. Few characters have this effect on their bair, if any.
Forward Smash - Ike swings his sword down vs. Corrin chainsaws the opponent's face while charging a stab with a spear-like arm. These are nothing like each other and have very distinct uses. iirc, no other character in the game hits you while charging a Smash attack.
Down Smash - Ike swings his sword both ways, similar to Marth's and is completely outclased by up Smash vs. Corrin stabs both ways with sword and leg, at the same time.
Up Smash - Ike swings his sword in an arc above him vs. Corrin stabs upwards with both spike-arms.
Throws: Corrin turns into a dragon in both up and down throw. No other character transforms during their throws, except maybe Pac-Man, if his 8-bit form counts.
None of this takes in consideration their vastly different playstyles. If Corrin is a better Ike, then Marth is a better Meta Knight.
Even a casual player would immediately notice their differences.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Honestly, it doesn't make a difference to me whether or not this guy is referring to Sora or Geno/Mallow. I had such little confidence in either of these guys getting in Smash that a disconfirmation of both isn't all too shocking.

Which is ironic because I'm a Ridley supporter. If there was ever a character people would automatically chalk up as deconfirmed...
I'm a Ridley supporter who gave up hope ages ago, and considers him among the least likely first party characters.

I still like his chances hell of a lot more than Geno's, and definitely more than Sora and Mallow.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly, the level of delusion to believe that Ike and Corrin are remotely similar outside of some very surface-level observations indicates that it's unlikely he'll change his mind and that it's really not worth the effort to disprove him.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I've said my piece, and I think it'd be difficult to change the opinion that Melee Luigi nair is more distinct than Corrin's neutral b or side b. I'm out lmao.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
But Cloud wasn't part of the Imgur leak AT ALL. Since the subject here was the Imgur Leak.
Cloud not being part of the imgur leak is irrelevant. All we really know for sure from Masked Man's statement is that Squ-enix reps are in the game and because of that Masked Man knows the roster. There could be situation where Masked Man knows the roster from being involved with Cloud's inclusion and said roster doesn't have Sora, Geno, or Mallow.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think it's time to change the subject now. Mocking the argument doesn't really help anything.

People have their opinions. Time to let it go and move on.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
MOD POSTED WHILE TYPING NVM

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
He's not even really "dancing around the question". His exact quote was "“Fake” as in it includes characters I know won’t be in Smash". It's pretty natural to just say "characters" instead of saying "Geno, Mallow, and Sora".

Personally, I think he's disconfirming all three, and you guys are overanalyzing the importance of his wording.
That makes sense.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Excuse me, but what?
Let's simplify it to a move by move basis:
Neutral B - A charge explosion vs. a paralyzing projectile that ends in a bite. No other characters share a similar attack.
Side B -A forward lunge with a hit at the end vs. an extended spike that sets Corrin in place, giving them the option to kick, jump back or fall down. No one else shares anything like this.
Up B - Ike tosses his sword in an arc, going down with it vs. a burst upwards, similar to Pit's but damaging.
Down B - Counter. Ike swings his sword in front of him in the direction of the hit vs Corrin's counter that hits the entire area around them.
Jab - A three hit combo that ends in a strong hit vs. a three hit combo that ends in a multi-hit. This is shared with pretty much every character
Down tilt and f tilt are pretty standard moves they share with lots of characters in function
Up tilt - Ike's swings his sword up harshly, Corrin spins it above him.
Neutral air - Ike circles his sword around him, while Corrin uses their arm to hit behind them, too.
Forward air - Ike swings his sword full force, a kill move. Corrin's fair has little knockback and strings into itself or up-air. These moves can't be farther apart.
Up air - Ike spins his sword above him, Corrin swings their sword in an arc. Looks different and has different frame data, while their use is similar.
Down air - Ike smashes his sword downwards, meteor effect vs. Corrin turns their legs into a spike and falls down at high speed.
Back air - Ike swings his sword back vs. Corrin strikes with their wings and is pushed forward. Few characters have this effect on their bair, if any.
Forward Smash - Ike swings his sword down vs. Corrin chainsaws the opponent's face while charging a stab with a spear-like arm. These are nothing like each other and have very distinct uses. iirc, no other character in the game hits you while charging a Smash attack.
Down Smash - Ike swings his sword both ways, similar to Marth's and is completely outclased by up Smash vs. Corrin stabs both ways with sword and leg, at the same time.
Up Smash - Ike swings his sword in an arc above him vs. Corrin stabs upwards with both spike-arms.
Throws: Corrin turns into a dragon in both up and down throw. No other character transforms during their throws, except maybe Pac-Man, if his 8-bit form counts.
None of this takes in consideration their vastly different playstyles. If Corrin is a better Ike, then Marth is a better Meta Knight.
Even a casual player would immediately notice their differences.
Casuals think the DLC is just blatantly better than the default characters... Casuals very quickly decide that particular characters are useless.

Why would a casual pick Ike when Corrin exists?

You misunderstand... I’m not saying Corrin is an Ike clone. I’m saying Corrin is just better Ike.

Like I could take a Rabbid for example. They’re slow, short range, hit pretty hard, has medium weight, great grab game, annoying projectile... Sounds like Luigi. But! Instead of sitting on an opponent for a Dthrow they drop a toilet on them. Instead of fireballs they spit, and since it’s clear you can’t see it. With their Uspecial it’s most powerful at the top, and hitting at the bottom does nothing. Their Dair is crashing two pizza boxes together and lets them hover on top of being an attack. Dspecial is a command grab where Ezio from Assassin’s Creed comes in and plays volleyball with the opponent.

I could go on... But ultimately it doesn’t matter how many little gimmicks I add because fundamentally they’re just Luigi with some extra fluff on top.

Ike and Corrin are about the same as Link and Marth

Meaning they're completely different characters that aren't related at all besides having a sword.
Ike and Corrin are slow, powerful, use swords, have poor mobility, poor recovery...

Toooootally different characters guys. Look, he turns into a dragon for 0.5 seconds! And he can stab people from far away!

you can't pin **** with a boxing glove for one. and ike plays nothing like corrin. i'm a filthy casual and even i can see that.
Skully is a weapon available to Springman, and is basically a large spike which injects poison. Not remotely a glove.

At least stabbing people with a Skully and the one-two of the Locjaw aren’t moves almost totally made up for Smash.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
That Geno + Mallow and Sora thing does not matter, the rumour was considered fake the moment it decided to not include Bandana Dee.

:yeahboi:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Casuals think the DLC is just blatantly better than the default characters... Casuals very quickly decide that particular characters are useless.

Why would a casual pick Ike when Corrin exists?

You misunderstand... I’m not saying Corrin is an Ike clone. I’m saying Corrin is just better Ike.

Like I could take a Rabbid for example. They’re slow, short range, hit pretty hard, has medium weight, great grab game, annoying projectile... Sounds like Luigi. But! Instead of sitting on an opponent for a Dthrow they drop a toilet on them. Instead of fireballs they spit, and since it’s clear you can’t see it. With their Uspecial it’s most powerful at the top, and hitting at the bottom does nothing. Their Dair is crashing two pizza boxes together and lets them hover on top of being an attack. Dspecial is a command grab where Ezio from Assassin’s Creed comes in and plays volleyball with the opponent.

I could go on... But ultimately it doesn’t matter how many little gimmicks I add because fundamentally they’re just Luigi with some extra fluff on top.

Ike and Corrin are slow, powerful, use swords, have poor mobility, poor recovery...

Toooootally different characters guys. Look, he turns into a dragon for 0.5 seconds! And he can stab people from far away!

Skully is a weapon available to Springman, and is basically a large spike which injects poison. Not remotely a glove.

At least stabbing people with a Skully and the one-two of the Locjaw aren’t moves almost totally made up for Smash.
Seriously, can you just drop the topic? Metal Tyrannomon X already told you (and the others in this thread) to stop. Move on.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
One point, didn't one of the past announcers say that they had a list of characters to read off that included characters that weren't playable?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
One point, didn't one of the past announcers say that they had a list of characters to read off that included characters that weren't playable?
Yes, Xander Mobius had to read tons of names to make sure nothing get leaked. And I thiiink even then, he couldn't say what name he said because of NDA?

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Yeah, they had Xander Mobus reads names for tons of DLC characters so he couldn't reveal which ones would actually make it to the game.

EDIT: :4greninja:'d

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yep. It was asked by a member of a Webcomic community. Fireball20XL. I forget the name of the user, but he's one of the various comic creators. I think possibly the main person who runs the site?

That was pretty cool. I honestly love how the various announcers/voice actors/etc. are so easy to have a friendly chat or simply ask a fun favor.

Oh, I'm thinking of a Brawl-related one. Whoops.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I mean let's be real here, I doubt this Square Enix guy would be allowed to say anything but no to these characters to begin with.

So we should honestly take his response about as seriously as the leak in question. That being, we shouldn't be believing literally either of them.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Yes, Xander Mobius had to read tons of names to make sure nothing get leaked. And I thiiink even then, he couldn't say what name he said because of NDA?
I wonder if that was leak proofing or a shortlist of characters that were considered for DLC. Maybe both.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
That was Xander Mobus from Smash 4, I believe. I can't find the interview, but it makes sense to mix in actual DLC with characters that aren't going to make it in; otherwise, it would be really easy for the announcer to accidentally give away something in an interview or on Twitter.

EDIT: :4greninja:

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Seriously, can you just drop the topic? Metal Tyrannomon X already told you (and the others in this thread) to stop. Move on.
I’m participating just fine. Maybe if you don’t care about the conversation you should just leave? I mean I think all this nonsense about leaks is like 98% garbage but you don’t see me whining.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
While we're on the topic of announcers, I wouldn't mind if they tried to take the announcer in a direction closer to the one they used for Melee. I kinda prefer the more mysterious, echoey sound that game went for instead of the deep, macho voice of the other Smash games.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Last thought: I wonder if Roy and Roy had their own separate sessions or if :4feroy:'s one was a take from the start and :4roy:'s one was a take from the end of the day.

While we're on the topic of announcers, I wouldn't mind if they tried to take the announcer in a direction closer to the one they used for Melee. I kinda prefer the more mysterious, echoey sound that game went for instead of the deep, macho voice of the other Smash games.
As long as the announcer is hammy and pronounces at least one character questionably, I'm cool with it personally.

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
If Palutena returns with Pit could we also see the return of the Palutena's guidance skits? Especially for whoever's going to be the newcomers?
If not, what could you imagine the new in-universe character bios be?

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Last thought: I wonder if Roy and Roy had their own separate sessions or if :4feroy:'s one was a take from the start and :4roy:'s one was a take from the end of the day.
My theory is that they do each name more than once with different inflections in their tone and Sakurai/Whoever goes with the one they think works the best. So they probably had more than one take of Xander saying "Roy" in there archives.

Just a guess, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom