• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
So long as Ridley's chances are still up in the air, I'm good lol. On Vergeben though, the user with Hyde as his icon did tell me that, despite Verg's info being 50/50 real or fake, he's 100% banking on his source that tells him Ridley will be playable as the most legit one. Is there any insight to this bit?

Pakky

Smash Hero
I kinda hope most of these 3rd party leaks are real because I do not want to drop money for a PS4

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
My guess would be both since, if one of the two was in there I don't think he'd deconfirm it outright. Speculation on my part. Probably doesn't break NDA since if a character isn't in a game there would be no NDA. I also don't know the full extent of his possition.
I mean as in like, let's say instead of saying "I know some characters wont be in smash" and being vague
he said "The leak is fake because Sora and Geno/Mallow aren't in smash"
Would that count as breaking an NDA? Because honestly, my only weird problem with that is how vague he was and why he wasn't clear on dissmissing those characters.

That is, if he is infact with the knowledge of who, from Square, is in Smash.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So long as Ridley's chances are still up in the air, I'm good lol. On Vergeben though, the user with Hyde as his icon did tell me that, despite Verg's info being 50/50 real or fake, he's 100% banking on his source that tells him Ridley will be playable as the most legit one. Is there any insight to this bit?
I don't know but unless he's promised he'll livestream himself eating his shoes if he's wrong, I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
If we're still on Forces, I have something to say.

I was not really defending the game, despite being a Sonic fan myself. I was just stating my points of view. And I say, despite our differences, you guys are far more reasonable to debate with than many of my fellow Sonic fans, who are rather rabid and unreasonable and complain about things that can be considered small, like automation and intricate, small details of level design. I mean, Forces did not have the best level design, but most of my fellow Sonic fans blow the level design and gameplay in this game and other 3D Sonic games out of proportion, and let it ruin it for them instead of getting over them. And for you all being reasonable, I thank you.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
There’s a weapon Springman can use that’s a long range stabber... There’s also a weapon that’s a one-two projectile and physical attack. Sounds mighty familiar...
The bird skull definitely could not be made to do what Corrin does, though what it could do is worthwhile in its own right. I hope that would be obvious just from looking at both of them.
I confess that I don't know which one you're talking about for the second, but I'm 90% sure that what you're talking about doesn't work. You don't mean the scorpion, do you? Again, that would be a cool mechanic, but not for what Corrin does.

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Oh, and Lancerstaff, your "point" (loosely used here) about Ike mains dropping him for Corrin...? Golly, it's like they could be FE superfans AND the fact that Corrin, by and large, may be an objectively better character that suits them/helps them win!

I'm back, btw.

Smooth Criminal

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Many of Corrin's moves are functionally distinct from almost any other in Smash. Not just the unique-hitstun-state-boasting pin, the uniquely-double-chargeable projectile, and the only (iirc) smash attack in the game with a hitbox during its charge – but also just a lot of the regular attacks, such as Nair's sheer coverage, Back Air's mobility, Down Air's dragging properties, Up Air's lightweight feel, and etc. If characters were reduced to their hitboxes with no theming whatsoever, Corrin would still stand out.

With theming, of course, Corrin's dragon transformations, chainsaw sword, and even distinctive armor help her stand out even more.

In the context of the original post Lancer quoted (from Autumn), this means that significant development time was put into the character, as opposed to a clone. As a result, Corrin is likely to return to the next game, compared to an expendable clone.

In the context that Lancer seems to be interested in diverting the conversation to, which is more along the lines of a player's perspective, Corrin plays distinctly and adds something of worth to the game on her own merit. No other character plays exactly like her. Corrin's playstyle is vaguely similar to select other characters, but her signature tools shake up her gameplay to the point where it's laughable to suggest that she plays the same as any character we currently have.

also what the heck is that springman comparison lmao

Yeah, but to me, two years of game development and two years of Hedgehog engine 2 making are still different in my book. Never was trying to make it look better, either.
They could've used that time more wisely (such as on the actual game), but they chose not to. Nothing stopping them from using an existing engine or whatnot, I can only imagine.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Because the Ridley DasVergeben rumor, where he's almost 100% sure is because it's the same source that told him Metroid Prime 4 would be made by Namco and a while after, a user named Doctre81 managed to find a Linkedin profile from a Namco employee effectively saying that Metroid Prime 4 would be made by Namco

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
They could've used that time more wisely (such as on the actual game), but they chose not to. Nothing stopping them from using an existing engine or whatnot, I can only imagine.
Never said they used their time wisely. Based on what we experienced, even I admit they did not.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Corrin definitely didn't have the best reception, and I'm sure her backlash could potentially affect the character moving forward, but I don't find it likely.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
If the Ridley rumor ends up bein' true, I sure hope Sakurai can give him an interesting enough moveset. Because as it stands now, that idea doesn't exactly excite me.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Kinda hope the Sora rumor is true amongst others. KH3 for the switch? Yes, please.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Honestly, Mania, the mobile games/comics and Smash is really the only thing keeping Sonic relevant at this point IMO.

I'm somewhat biased because I just don't think modern Sonic games are fun (or even really games most of the time) but it seems like they continue to be flop after mediocrity after flop until something good comes along every couple of titles then it gets followed by mediocrity or another flop.

I don't think cutting Sonic would significantly hurt Smash, but it would be a huge disappointment to many people (including myself.)
I think Sega's constant support as well as his own fanbase (In both good ways and bad ways depending on the particular person) has also kept Sonic afloat. Say what they will about the spotty track record of game quality. But Sega nor has the entire fanbase ever gave up on the Blue Blur. Despite disasters like Sonic 06 and the following Dark Age of Sonic that IMO ended thanks to Sonic Colors. Sonic has stayed around quite a bit.

Characters like Spyro and Crash might be getting a rebirth of sorts with their remake trilogies recently. But for a while, they were either upstaged by new characters in a toy-based NFC game (Spyro with Skylanders) or just not there since the early Wii era (Crash who before his trilogy, he didn't have a big game since Mind Over Mutant back in 2008).

Sure, Sonic being still afloat is a bit of a doubled edged sword where a game every one or two years may not exactly be amazing on the level of a fully polished Nintendo game. But there's still enough hits with not just the main games but also Spin-offs such as the Sega All-Stars games (Which BTW by the same company that made those, Sonic's getting an exclusively Sonic racing game in Team Sonic Racing that should be a fun alternative to Mario Kart much like the 2 Sega All-Stars racing games were)

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So the guy that "debunked" the imgur list is a S-E translator apparently. So it seems like Sora and Geno/Mallow are not in. Or at the very least Sora has been disconfirmed.

Well at least I won't see Copyright Disney plastered on every single screen. And see Gamefaqs spam Copyright Disney topics. The FFRK community was pretty tame about that meme, but when you have Smashfaqs.... ugh.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
And let's not forget the wonderful fact that Sega/Sonic Team was ******** enough to take most of those development time doing the "Hedgehog Engine 2" Which is NOWHERE as good as the "Hedgehog Engine 1" that was used for Unleashed...
And as for the general engine...What did they do?
THEY MODIFIED THE ****ING ENGINE FROM LOST WORLD TO MAKE A BOOST GAME.
When they have a perfectly good and wonderful engine with Generation.

Why do I feel Sega went full ****** again by loosing the generation engine?
Wait, they did WHAT?! They wouldn't be that crazy. Noooooo! That's not true that's impossible!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
So the forums are back online now. Looks like I'll have to try to adapt to the new changes that have been made.

I'll begin by quoting a post that I never saw before the maintenance period...

So here's a question.

All Star Mode.

What do you think about it?
I think that All-Star needs to be random with its opponent order again. But to also reduce the number of stages that you must play, there would be break periods after you've defeated a certain number of fighters.

If the roster contains 70 fighters (excluding the Mii Fighters), you'd face 10 opponents per stage, but only 2 opponents would appear at the same time.

Opponents' direct attacks would deal 0.6666667x their normal damage, while your fighter's direct attacks would deal 1.5x their normal damage. Indirect attacks would still deal their normal damage amounts. The opponents' Launch Rate would be determined by the set difficulty level, but it will gradually decrease as the player advances.

Stage | Easy CPU Launch Rate | Normal CPU Launch Rate | Hard CPU Launch Rate
1 | 1.0x | 0.9x | 0.8x
2 | 0.9833334x | 0.8833334x | 0.7833334x
3 | 0.9666667x | 0.8666667x | 0.7666667x
4 | 0.95x | 0.85x | 0.75x
5 | 0.9333334x | 0.8333334x | 0.7333334x
6 | 0.9166667x | 0.8166667x | 0.7166667x
7 | 0.9x | 0.8x | 0.7x

The player's Launch Rate is set to 0.8x on Easy, 0.9x on Normal, and 1.0x on Hard.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Wait, they did WHAT?! They wouldn't be that crazy. Noooooo! That's not true that's impossible!
HE2 isnt even bad. Sonic Forces bad art direction just didnt give it justice.
TBH i do think modern Sonic art direction needs to change again cause the post unleashed one isnt looking too appealing anymore.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Yes. They used the Sonic Lost World engine to make a boost engine. Classic Sonic was also an afterthough, and they managed to make him worst from generation since a lot of data seems to be straight up ported from Generation...But from the wrong Engine. It also explain the weird state and how OP the Air Boost is in that game, as it have some weird Gravity variable from Sonic Lost World.

They redid a graphic engine because they were so dumb that they didn't copyrighted the Hedgehog Engine, meaning he's technically to it's true owner and creator, who's now working at Square Enix and worked on FFXV.
However you can see how horrible the the "hedgehog engien 2" is **** compared to the first one, but probably art direction.
So yes, I do think they lost the Generation Engine
Who already was an modified Unleashed Engine.

Good job Sega

So the guy that "debunked" the imgur list is a S-E translator apparently. So it seems like Sora and Geno/Mallow are not in. Or at the very least Sora has been disconfirmed.

Well at least I won't see Copyright Disney plastered on every single screen. And see Gamefaqs spam Copyright Disney topics. The FFRK community was pretty tame about that meme, but when you have Smashfaqs.... ugh.
Now true question, would an S-E translator know about Sora being uncomfirmed if Disney is the one managing it's right, and looking for Nomura/Square Higher-up for the Okay?

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
It really depends this dude is reliable because he's gotten a few stuff correct before

And I say I feel he got it wrong that doesn't mean we should throw him away as a source everybody like himself has gotten real sources some have gotten made up

Polan

Smash Lord
Attacking other members is not allowed. Please target their argument, not the person themself.
Let’s be real here. Nothing Corrin does is unique to the character. Hell, you could slap Springman over the moveset and very little would change, and it would still fit.
can someone send this man to the shadow realm? ignorance this advanced cannot be allowed to dwell in our reality

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I think Sega's constant support as well as his own fanbase (In both good ways and bad ways depending on the particular person) has also kept Sonic afloat. Say what they will about the spotty track record of game quality. But Sega nor has the entire fanbase ever gave up on the Blue Blur. Despite disasters like Sonic 06 and the following Dark Age of Sonic that IMO ended thanks to Sonic Colors. Sonic has stayed around quite a bit.

Characters like Spyro and Crash might be getting a rebirth of sorts with their remake trilogies recently. But for a while, they were either upstaged by new characters in a toy-based NFC game (Spyro with Skylanders) or just not there since the early Wii era (Crash who before his trilogy, he didn't have a big game since Mind Over Mutant back in 2008).

Sure, Sonic being still afloat is a bit of a doubled edged sword where a game every one or two years may not exactly be amazing on the level of a fully polished Nintendo game. But there's still enough hits with not just the main games but also Spin-offs such as the Sega All-Stars games (Which BTW by the same company that made those, Sonic's getting an exclusively Sonic racing game in Team Sonic Racing that should be a fun alternative to Mario Kart much like the 2 Sega All-Stars racing games were)
I understand where you are coming from, and I agree. However, I have had quite some experience with the Sonic fanbase, and while it is good that they still support Sonic, to me, some of them are just wasting their time and breath, especially since they will never be pleased, or are obsessed over the little things too much to the point that they cannot enjoy anything Sonic related. That's my two cents.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
How can you say Corrin is the most uninspired when almost ALL of Bayonetta's moves are more or less carbon copies from her games? (Not hating on Bayonetta, but her moves from her games are almost like copy paste)
Play styles.

Corrin plays nothing like Ike. Projectile, tipper/sweetspot mechanic, radically different ****ing moveset in general...

They don't even occupy the same niche as each other, let alone playstyle characteristics.

But please, go on.

Smooth Criminal
Hence better Ike.

Ask them. They’ll tell you Corrin is just better Ike. Corrin is just another slow paced sword fighter like Ike. If this was so magically different you would of actually explained why instead of bringing up some gimmick moves.

Many of Corrin's moves are functionally distinct from almost any other in Smash. Not just the unique-hitstun-state-boasting pin, the uniquely-double-chargeable projectile, and the only (iirc) smash attack in the game with a hitbox during its charge – but also just a lot of the regular attacks, such as Nair's sheer coverage, Back Air's mobility, Down Air's dragging properties, Up Air's lightweight feel, and etc. If characters were reduced to their hitboxes with no theming whatsoever, Corrin would still stand out.

With theming, of course, Corrin's dragon transformations, chainsaw sword, and even distinctive armor help her stand out even more.

In the context of the original post Lancer quoted (from Autumn), this means that significant development time was put into the character, as opposed to a clone. As a result, Corrin is likely to return to the next game, compared to an expendable clone.

In the context that Lancer seems to be interested in diverting the conversation to, which is more along the lines of a player's perspective, Corrin plays distinctly and adds something of worth to the game on her own merit. No other character plays exactly like her. Corrin's playstyle is vaguely similar to select other characters, but her signature tools shake up her gameplay to the point where it's laughable to suggest that she plays the same as any character we currently have.

also what the heck is that springman comparison lmao

Not even a little. Corrin’s just another Ike with some fluff gimmicks taped on. People play them like better Ike. How else are you supposed to play them?

Having big Nair doesn’t make them unique or interesting. Pushing themselves in the air with a Bair doesn’t make a character unique or interesting. It’s fluff. It’s trivial. Luigi’s Nair in Melee makes a bigger impact then any of Corrin’s moves, and I don’t think anybody would argue that Luigi is especially unique for it.

Visuals don’t mean anything. Never have, never will.

...You’re laughing at my Springman comparison when you wanted Shovel Knight to be “jointed” rather than disjointed in your moveset idea? Honestly. You act like having a sword makes much of a difference when Springman already has stretchy arms...

can someone send this man to the shadow realm? ignorance this advanced cannot be allowed to dwell in our reality
Did I say something wrong?

Awakining

Smash Apprentice
Ness used to have Smash attacks with a hitbox during their charges.
Geez, that takes me back. After playing Brawl and speculating Smash 4, I was so disappointed when I found out they removed the hitbox from the charging yo-yos. Especially regarding the new ledge mechanics, as all my dreams of cheesy edgeguarding came crashing down at once :(

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Any new leaks?

That's how I fell as someone who's played most of the modern stuff since Adventure DX. I'm planning on getting Maina for the Switch when it gets its physical release.

The characters have rubbed me kind of the wrong way for a while like Mighty and Ray are great because they provide unique twists on the gameplay. And for that I love them. On the other hand, Rouge the Bat, for example, is a fine character but she doesn't really have too much that I can say that is exclusively her's. Omega is Gama which okay? Big the Cat is a good meme but fishing in Sonic is a turn off for me. Shadow has some cool DBZ stuff but mostly he's just been Sonic with weapons and cars
Oh one more thing

Someone's may have finally killed the imugar rumor

Claiming some of the characters from that list are not in smash switch

By the way how do we know he's reliable and what did he say?

Edit: I have the answer it's the same guy who knew about cloud as dlc in smash 4

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ike is a character who has good range and power but has laggy moves. He's supposed to hit little, but hits HARD when he does.

Corrin is a character who is all about spacing. Lots of range but less power. He has all the tools needed to keep the opponent at certain ranges.

They aren't even close and saying they are shows fundamental misunderstandings of both characters and Smash in general.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
He's a S-E translator.
He worked on SourceGaming
And apparently he knew about Cloud beforehand.
He said the leak is fake because there characters "he know isn't in smash"

My problem with that, he could have said "Sora and Geno aren't in smash" just like that but he decided to be vague,maybe because there one of them that is in and unconfirming one, would confirm the other, but maybe none of them are in, oh and there also the question of, would he know about that if Sora's right are handled by Disney?

But otherwise, beside those shady point, yes, I believe the imgur can rest in peace, at least until a new breaking news or leak happens.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Masked Man has a connection to Square Enix as a translator and knew of Cloud's inclusion prior to the general public. He's the guy that would know if Sora, Geno, or Mallow were in Smash, so his comment implies at least one of these 3 aren't in the game.

EDIT: :4greninja:'d

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Masked Man has a connection to Square Enix as a translator and knew of Cloud's inclusion prior to the general public. He's the guy that would know if Sora, Geno, or Mallow were in Smash, so his comment implies at least one of these 3 aren't in the game.
I still think the fact that he didn't directly said which ones or did a group shoot by being direct is shady, but that's probably me lmao.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You can disagree with people all you want, but disagree civilly.

Let's try and keep it more civil, please.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I understand where you are coming from, and I agree. However, I have had quite some experience with the Sonic fanbase, and while it is good that they still support Sonic, to me, some of them are just wasting their time and breath, especially since they will never be pleased, or are obsessed over the little things too much to the point that they cannot enjoy anything Sonic related. That's my two cents.
Hence why I said "Both the good and bad" about that. A loyal, long lasting fanbase has the double edged sword of having the crazies. Smash itself has some of this we gotta admit. Especially when you're putting Sonic fans, Pokemon fans, you name it. altogether in this big crossover. When you have a big crossover franchise like Smash, the fanbases often end up meeting as well. And there's both good and bad situations that can come from that, heh.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Did I say something wrong?
Yeah:
Corrin’s just another Ike with some fluff gimmicks taped on.

Having big Nair doesn’t make them unique or interesting. Pushing themselves in the air with a Bair doesn’t make a character unique or interesting. It’s fluff. It’s trivial.
I think you just want to sound like a sophisticated critic because you can complain about things that other people think are cool.

Where did you get the idea that Ike and Corrin are remotely similar in any way?

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Hence why I said "Both the good and bad" about that. A loyal, long lasting fanbase has the double edged sword of having the crazies. Smash itself has some of this we gotta admit. Especially when you're putting Sonic fans, Pokemon fans, you name it. altogether in this big crossover. When you have a big crossover franchise like Smash, the fanbases often end up meeting as well. And there's both good and bad situations that can come from that, heh.
Ohhhhh, somehow, I did not see that. And yeah, crossover series can make the messiest of fanbases, and Smash Bros is no exception.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
He's a S-E translator.
He worked on SourceGaming
And apparently he knew about Cloud beforehand.
He said the leak is fake because there characters "he know isn't in smash"

My problem with that, he could have said "Sora and Geno aren't in smash" just like that but he decided to be vague,maybe because there one of them that is in and unconfirming one, would confirm the other, but maybe none of them are in, oh and there also the question of, would he know about that if Sora's right are handled by Disney?

But otherwise, beside those shady point, yes, I believe the imgur can rest in peace, at least until a new breaking news or leak happens.
You answered your own question, there.

If he doesn't know about Sora's rights, then the characters he's talking about have to be Geno + Mallow.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I still think the fact that he didn't directly said which ones or did a group shoot by being direct is shady, but that's probably me lmao.
I kinda follow your logic but I don't really agree with the conclusion you came to. Masked Man dancing around the question does hold merit towards the idea of Squ-enix rep(s), but that simply be referring to Cloud's inclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom