• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Are you guys forgetting that there was a leak that piggybacked off the Ninka leak before it picked up traction, and still ended up being fake?

Or that pretty much every Smash 4 leak that came out after Gematsu became popular was based entirely around Gematsu?

It's natural that fake leaks are going to copy/paste whatever the most "credible" leak says; even what unpopular ones say, on occasion. It doesn't make them likelier to be real.
Yeah, but unlike last times, the game release is AWFULLY CLOSE. So like, E3 will be the day to literally shut down 97% of the fakes leaks. ESPECIALLY THIS ONE since it's have such odds choice.
Probably the only time we can get that kind of leaks- so we speculate-
And a Leaks that can be easy to debunk unlike the others smash games's rumor, because it doesn't have any "Obvious choice" so if Bandana Dee and Decidueye get announced at E3 then we go back into a blank state

I mean, if you wanna discuss any other subject, be my guest.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
we literally have no name, no source, nothing behind this leak. we don't know if the person that posted the list and the person that posted the pictures are one and the same. there's no insider rumblings to back anyone but ridley and maybe someone from konami. we've heard this bull**** of themed rosters before and its never turned out to be true. not to mention that the leak is predicated on vergeben, a guy with a spotty record, being correct. and some of those choices are lame but thats just my bias talking. honestly this leak isn't giving me "real" feels, its giving me tower of smash flashbacks.

people aren't expecting cuts because there is no developmental roadblock this time around. no ridiculously short dev period, no subspace emissary or last minute additions (that we know of), no second underpowered version, sakurai seems to be more relaxed this time around and its likely that the same team that worked on 4 is back for this one, with all their experience behind them. plus the rumours seems to point to no cuts/minimal cuts. and honestly it would be embarrassing if the next hd smash game launched with less characters than the 3ds version (which nintendo is still selling by the way) but that's just me.
You brought up Sakurai being seemingly more relaxed and iirc he said something about being less stressed and honestly, people need to think about that more as there's no downside to that.
Also PM me your sig so I can download it on my phone it's ****ing great

Burb

The Absolute Worst
people aren't expecting cuts because there is no developmental roadblock this time around. no ridiculously short dev period, no subspace emissary or last minute additions (that we know of), no second underpowered version, sakurai seems to be more relaxed this time around and its likely that the same team that worked on 4 is back for this one, with all their experience behind them. plus the rumours seems to point to no cuts/minimal cuts. and honestly it would be embarrassing if the next hd smash game launched with less characters than the 3ds version (which nintendo is still selling by the way) but that's just me.
I literally mentioned the porting excuse in my post.

Yes, I understand why people think there won't be any cuts. I also understood why people decided to convince themselves that Ridley would still be playable in Smash 4 even after we were basically told he'd be a boss a good 5 months before launch.

Hope's a hell of a drug.

Yeah, but unlike last times, the game release is AWFULLY CLOSE. So like, E3 will be the day to literally shut down 97% of the fakes leaks. ESPECIALLY THIS ONE since it's have such odds choice.
Probably the only time we can get that kind of leaks- so we speculate-
And a Leaks that can be easy to debunk unlike the others smash games's rumor, because it doesn't have any "Obvious choice" so if Bandana Dee and Decidueye get announced at E3 then we go back into a blank state

I mean, if you wanna discuss any other subject, be my guest.
A short time-table doesn't really make it any likelier, either.

We've had fake leaks pop up, gain traction, and fizzle out in a matter of days. People do this for quick and immediate attention, whether it lasts a couple of months or a couple of hours.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
If the leak is true then all the villains would be:
1. Bowser
2. Bowser Jr
3. Wario (Kind of)
4. Ganondorf
5. King Dedede
6. Meta Knight (Kind of)
7. Mewtwo
8. Mimkyu
9. Wolf
10. Ridley
11. K. Rool
12. Medusa
13. Dark Pit (Kind of)
14. Porky Minch (in spider mech)
15. Samurai Goroh

Zeox

Smash Champion
1. Bowser
2. Bowser Jr
3. Wario (Kind of)
4. Ganondorf
5. King Dedede
6. Meta Knight (Kind of)
7. Mewtwo
8. Mimkyu
9. Wolf
10. Ridley
11. K. Rool
12. Medusa
13. Dark Pit (Kind of)
15. Samurai Goroh
3. Yes, Wario would work with the villains if they pay him, no doubts.
6. I dunno about Meta Knight... well, he usually wants to prove to be the best swordsman and the strongest.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
If anything, this debate's sort of made me visualise the idea of Goroh possibly being something akin to a heavyweight sword fighter similar to Ike, but he draws a fair amount from sumo for some attacks and abilities. Slow thanks to his weight and large body size, but his sword based attacks are surprisingly fast thanks to having such muscle-power behind them. Probably would be a good contrast Falcon's sentai-themed motifs and flair. Not that I'm expecting or wanting Goroh for Smash Bros anytime as a playable character, though these discussions definitely helped me to visualise/consider the three characters that I felt were the oddballs to me for this 'rumour.'

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If this is real my theory is that there will be some kind of adventure mode where the villains are the bosses of levels themed around their games.
Frankly, I don't see another Subspace Emissary coming to pass, since development time would have to be increased for the cutscenes.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The leak has the unexpected characters down pat, but they aren't the kind of unexpected characters Sakurai normally goes for. Porky, Medusa (somewhat), and Samurai Goroh are all kinda old and obscure. If Sakurai was gonna pick someone who we wouldn't expect, I feel like it would be someone newer and more relevant, not someone who hasn't been in a game in almost 15 years. But I guess that's why people are banking on this rumor being true. No one would expect this.

I still call fake, but I guess we'll find out in about a week and a half.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Frankly, I don't see another Subspace Emissary coming to pass, since development time would have to be increased for the cutscenes.
Or Sakurai can finally trust a studio enough to commission cutscenes from them.... which probably isn't going to happen.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
If relevancy counts then so do rereleases, and Goroh/Porky were in the SNES Mini. So were Ridley and K. Rool, for that matter.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
The thing I don't understand is all it is is some pictures on imgur. How does that look convincing when you have no context whatsoever?

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
The leak has the unexpected characters down pat, but they aren't the kind of unexpected characters Sakurai normally goes for. Porky, Medusa (somewhat), and Samurai Gohro are all kinda old and obscure. If Sakurai was gonna pick someone who we wouldn't expect, I feel like it would be someone newer and more relevant, not someone who hasn't been in a game in almost 15 years. But I guess that's why people are banking on this rumor being true. No one would expect this.

I still call fake, but I guess we'll find out in about a week and a half.
Samurai Goroh and Porky are both relevant to Smash being a boss and an assist trophy and if it's real it looks like Sakurai just wanted all the original series in Smash to have a villain.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
The thing I don't understand is all it is is some pictures on imgur. How does that look convincing when you have no context whatsoever?
TL;DR
Posted on the Smash Reddit.
Deleted by Mods because leaks are a no-no
He post answers to the "riddle"
Get deleted again

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
what if they did mario tennis aces is doing, and just have a few cgi cutscenes, and have all the non cgi cutscenes be in a visual novel style.

osby

Smash Obsessed
what if they did mario tennis aces is doing, and just have a few cgi cutscenes, and have all the non cgi cutscenes be in a visual novel style.
But that would require actual dialogue writing and there are a bit too many characters for this to end well.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
But that would require actual dialogue writing and there are a bit too many characters for this to end well.
Just have Mario and Kirby be the MC's beat up people with some little useless side story to show others chara-
Oh wait that's... The Subspace Emissary

Hammer B

Smash Journeyman
Why would Sakurai add Porky this time around?. I mean, it's common knowledge that he had issues adding/keeping multiple Mother characters in the past games. In Melee, it was said that he only wanted to keep one character (Lucas), but since his game was delayed, he had to keep Ness instead. I think that for Brawl a similar situation happened, but I'm not sure about it. Then in Smash 4, Mother characters had such low priority that one of them was cut (from the base roster). It doesn't make sense to me.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
1. Bowser
2. Bowser Jr
3. Wario (Kind of)
4. Ganondorf
5. King Dedede
6. Meta Knight (Kind of)
7. Mewtwo
8. Mimkyu
9. Wolf
10. Ridley
11. K. Rool
12. Medusa
13. Dark Pit (Kind of)
15. Samurai Goroh
3: Wario is more of a rival / anti-hero than a villain. He may be greedy and selfish, but he's nowhere near as evil as Bowser or Ganondorf.

5: Much like with Wario, Dedede really isn't a villain. In fact, Dedede has been possessed by greater threats on more than one occasion.

6: Another rival / anti-hero. After Revenge of Meta Knight, Meta Knight has never really done anything evil.

7: Mewtwo is more in the lines of being a neutral character now.

8: Mimikyu would also be considered neutral.

9: If Star Fox Assault has anything to say, Wolf has become more of a rival / anti-hero than an actual villain.

13: Dark Pit is another rival / anti-hero character.

15: Goroh may be Captain Falcon's rival, but in terms of villainy, he probably isn't in the same league as Black Shadow.

Yeah they aren't doing that again. I imagine something more like Melee.
There is my Adventure mode concept that you could reference. The main problem with Melee's Adventure Mode was the lack of randomness, which meant that every character played each stage in the exact same order.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
sakurai seems to be more relaxed this time around
That is because mandatory restrictions on working hours have recently been enforced in Japan. It doesn't mean anything in terms of the Smash Switch roster.

Yes, I understand why people think there won't be any cuts. I also understood why people decided to convince themselves that Ridley would still be playable in Smash 4 even after we were basically told he'd be a boss a good 5 months before launch.

Hope's a hell of a drug.
Cuts are indeed inevitable.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Why would Sakurai add Porky this time around?. I mean, it's common knowledge that he had issues adding/keeping multiple Mother characters in the past games. In Melee, it was said that he only wanted to keep one character (Lucas), but since his game was delayed, he had to keep Ness instead. I think that for Brawl a similar situation happened, but I'm not sure about it. Then in Smash 4, Mother characters had such low priority that one of them was cut (from the base roster). It doesn't make sense to me.
Something something, easy to Port Wii U from Switch.
Something something rumors that there little to no cut this time around by two "reliable" source.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
...Melee didn’t have any cuts.
And the only sequel that didn't. Brawl had cuts and Smash 4 had cuts and people expect all 58 characters to return in addition to the loads of newcomers that would be implemented in Smash Switch despite every addition not just being an addition but a multiplication? Yeah, that's not going to happen.

?????????????

Smash Master
And the only sequel that didn't. Brawl had cuts and Smash 4 had cuts and people expect all 58 characters to return in addition to the loads of newcomers that would be implemented in Smash Switch despite every addition not just being an addition but a multiplication? Yeah, that's not going to happen.
Now, that being said, I could easily see the entire roster EVENTUALLY making it back through DLC.

I do believe that the Smash 4 roster is built up of unique characters, well-liked characters, and big Smash veterans. If anyone gets cut, there will be people who want them back.

We’re only on the 2nd year of Switch, so I have to assume we’re still pretty early on in the Switch lifespan. That leaves plenty of time for more DLC.

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
I want to confess something.

I have NO idea if this would affect its chances whatsoever in ANY way, but...

I think one of the reasons I’m not getting into Lycanroc is because I think it’s design is boring.

Like...it just looks like a regular dog! Why does it even need to be a fictional animal?

That’s the reason I never used it in my team the first time playing Sun/Moon; it didn’t look interesting to me.

I know it’s a weird thing to bring up, but there it is. If they ever did bring in Lycanroc, I prefer the nighttime one.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
His theme music better be rap. >.>
The main problem with BGM tracks that have lyrics is that you also have to credit the people who sung the lyrics. And if copyright gets in the way, you pretty much have no choice but to stick with the instrumental variants (as evidenced with Bayonetta's BGM tracks).

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Kinda random, but I thought of something that would make an awesome Assist Trophy.

A Gaurdian from BotW.

Seriously, why hasn't many people (if any) suggested this? They're cool as heck and are a major icon for BotW. It'd be hilarious if you randomly spawned a Gaurdian, it's tense theme starts playing, and it goes on a rampage attacking everyone, even the person who spawned it.

I want to confess something.

I have NO idea if this would affect its chances whatsoever in ANY way, but...

I think one of the reasons I’m not getting into Lycanroc is because I think it’s design is boring.

Like...it just looks like a regular dog! Why does it even need to be a fictional animal?

That’s the reason I never used it in my team the first time playing Sun/Moon; it didn’t look interesting to me.

I know it’s a weird thing to bring up, but there it is. If they ever did bring in Lycanroc, I prefer the nighttime one.
I'll admit, the design isn't it's strong point. However, just because it looks boring doesn't mean it's moveset will be boring too. I think it has plenty of potential to make it stand out among the rest of the Pokemon.

Midnight has the more interesting design, but I'm genuinely unsure how much likelier it is than Midday and Dusk.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
It was! Along with other titles that would be relevant to the rumor. Super Mario RPG, Super Castlevania IV, Donkey Kong Country, Super Metroid, F-Zero, EarthBound are all there.
Whoa, never realized that...
That's rather...interesting that literally all "retro" newcomers from the Rumor appeared in the mini-titles.
Could it be possible for Nintendo to get the rights of those games (for Castlevania and Super Mario RPG) alongside smash rights?

Though tbh it still sounds like a down point to the rumor for me lending it to fake.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Kinda random, but I thought of something that would make an awesome Assist Trophy.

A Gaurdian from BotW.

Seriously, why hasn't many people (if any) suggested this? They're cool as heck and are a major icon for BotW. It'd be hilarious if you randomly spawned a Gaurdian, it's tense theme starts playing, and it goes on a rampage attacking everyone, even the person who spawned it.
I did mention the Guardians in one of my Adventure mode concepts, but they would be treated as enemies.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Porky is this fat kid that lives in Onett, the same city where Ness' and others main characters from the game live.
He's this frightened, coward and greedy kid with no friends who initially tries to befriend Ness and the others, but as the story progresses ...

He slowly starts to become evil, as his paranoia and fear of Gygas, the final enemy, grows bigger inside of him. To ease his fear of death, he initially joins a cult and tries to kidnap and sacrifice a friend of Ness, but he's then defeated. So he joins Gygas and tries to kill Ness, but he's again defeated and, being a coward douchebag, instead of accepting defeat and dying he uses a time machine device to escape.
Porky comes back in Mother 3. Apparently, he went back in time and "colonized" and founded this city, of which he became the dictator. While his army is trying to start a campaign of conquering, we found out that Porky himself is in a terrible shape. His abuse of time traveling deformed his appearance, making him this grotesque old man-child, with features of both ages mixed horribly that force him to bed, but that's not all. Because of this, he became immortal and unable to die. During his last battle, he enters the ASC, a capsule that protects his owner from any harm, but is unable to attack, and while he rejoice that the ASC actually protects him from everything, it cannot be reopened and it is designed to protect his user until his death.

Unable to die, Porky is now fated to stay in complete isolation inside the ASC forever, as he slowly keep losing his sanity while centuries pass behind him.

Of course, explaining this through words alone doesn't really transpire how threatening, disturbing and fascinating Porky really is.
At the time having such a twisted and tragic villain was really a novelty, and people (me included) got really affectionate to him, as to be expected.

What makes him so different from what could be a Bowser or a Ganondorf is that Porky is not that evil by itself, no. He became evil because he couldn't control his fears and paranoia, that forced him to never have his coming-to-age unlike Ness and the others. He's not a cocky mastermind, he's this damaged child with extreme power and no idea of how to use it right. It's such a creative take on a villain, I really like him.
I guess that for his moveset they could just take what he does in Brawl (which isn't much different from what he does in the games) and redesign it to be a player moveset.
He can throw bombs, stampede and create robot clone of himself that go kamikaze and explode against his foes.
Wow so evil, and yet I can't help but pity him and how he came to be, and his fate. Controling a character that controls a robot that control clones that's a lot of controlling but I like I can see why someone like that would be interesting to have in Smash, aaaaannnd my list grows longer the more I talk with people on here about there characters. First Geno, then Tingle, then Mipha, now Porky.

SenSx

Smash Apprentice
1. Bowser
2. Bowser Jr
3. Wario (Kind of)
4. Ganondorf
5. King Dedede
6. Meta Knight (Kind of)
7. Mewtwo
8. Mimkyu
9. Wolf
10. Ridley
11. K. Rool
12. Medusa
13. Dark Pit (Kind of)
15. Samurai Goroh
If you count all the the Bowser's sons alts for Bowser jr, that's 22 villains, which is not too bad.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
All I need is for Fox's Brawl voice actor to come back, I have nothing against the one for smash 4 I just like the one for Brawl better (plus after all the hate that Fox's voice actor got for Smash 4, I seriously doubt he ever want to lend his voice to Sakurai again, the poor guy he least deserved to be treated better despite us not liking his Fox voice acting as much as the others. )
He got better treatment every other time Mike West has played Fox

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Honestly, I can't see any of the Pokemon characters getting cut this time. In a way, no Pokemon characters were cut in the transition from Brawl to Smash 4 (Charizard is the spiritual successor to Pokemon Trainer). I feel like it's between Greninja and Mewtwo. Sakurai has never cut a character just for being irrelevant, so I think Greninja is safe. Mewtwo was DLC and could possibly be cut, but he has such a large following that I can't see it happening.

Six unique non-transformation characters from a popular franchise. I agree that cuts are possible, but I don't think Pokemon is the series that needs to be looked at.
That's not "in a way", Squirtle and Ivysaur were cut no matter which way you look at it. Charizard isn't the "spiritual successor" of PT because the people who played PT for Squirtle and Ivysaur lost their main characters.

Honestly I keep on saying this but I'm gonna laugh when Gen 7 gets no new rep while Squirtle and Ivysaur get back in the game. For some reason everyone loves sleeping on them :laugh:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It was! Along with other titles that would be relevant to the rumor. Super Mario RPG, Super Castlevania IV, Donkey Kong Country, Super Metroid, F-Zero, EarthBound are all there.
For Medusa, the NES Classic Edition has Kid Icarus.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
TBH it seems like these characters in the leak are added less because they’re surprising and more because they fill a certain role. Porky, Goroh and Medusa literally seem to be added for the sake of adding more villains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom