• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Question: Is Steve smiling, or is it some sort of neckbeard?

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
If Steve gets in the game, I'm sure I'll warm up to him. Basically every Smash game had added a character who I didn't like at first but eventually warmed up to and even liked to play casually.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I just wanna see what today will reserve us for rumours.
Gotta be honest, readings rumors is probably my favourite time for smash speculation-
Especially knowing that this time there not a lot of time for it until the game release, and we're two weeks before E3.
I've heard a rumor saying Smash fans have realistic expectations from this game. It sounds fake.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
If Steve gets in the game, I'm sure I'll warm up to him. Basically every Smash game had added a character who I didn't like at first but eventually warmed up to and even liked to play casually.
Speaking of which, why don't we all say who our most hated characters whom we eventually warmed up to? Mine is Little Mac.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Speaking of which, why don't we all say who our most hated characters whom we eventually warmed up to? Mine is Little Mac.
Rosalina. First, I just thought she was a Peach knock-off, but now I know her, she's lovely.

Honourable mentions: Dark Pit, Roy, Wario

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Robin

I flat out hated the idea of him being in Smash. Now he deserves his spot

Honorable mentions: Bayonetta, Corrin

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I was on the R.O.B. hate train back then, he's not exactly my main now or anything, but I do think he's got a lot of personality and has been a pretty good addition.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Mega Man, surprisingly enough.

His fans were hella annoying during the last speculation period and tried to pretend as if Mega Man had more icon power than Pac-Man and was more “deserving of a slot” (those arguments shudders) and I ended up associating the character with them.
Then he got revealed, looked amazing, and felt so ****ing good to play as. And soon I got hooked on the series lol

I actually had the opposite effect happen to me when it came to corrin tho. I thought they looked really cool during the reveal... then realized how boring and poorly designed they were competitively.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Probably Ryu and Cloud. I have really high standards for third party and Ryu especially being a second capcom character. But now I'm OK with them. They're still quite the icons and as long as we stick with icons (or third party characters who Nintendo actually treat like first party characters) I'm OK with it

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
If Sakurai wanted to include something iconic from Minecraft, there's a far better option than Steve:

Let's face it, this thing is far more recognizable to gamers, and is probably the most famous single entity of the game. When compared to a default skin that even people who use it never see, with a name that's never uttered, the Creeper is the ultimate symbol of Minecraft.

An item that you cannot pick up, that merely jumps and runs towards the nearest player, then halts, performs a short countdown, then boom.

Zeox

Smash Champion
I do say it would be extremely interesting to find out how people would react if Porky was actually announced, by some miracle, as a playable character. There's no way they would do so without a Mother 3 Localization announcement first: But it would be so out of left field and would possibly be so unique looking that I don't know how people would react to it.
Imagine a trailer that is all creepy, kinda like in brawl when Lucas sees the Porky statue, but this time Porky comes and the first thing he does is scream "SPANKETY SPANKETY SPANKETY!" at the same time he slaps his butt at the enemy to mock at him.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Imagine a trailer that is all creepy, kinda like in brawl when Lucas sees the Porky statue, but this time Porky comes and the first thing he does is scream "SPANKETY SPANKETY SPANKETY!" at the same time he slaps his butt at the enemy to mock at him.
Good point, does Porky has a voice actor?

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Honestly, while I'm not really into Steve being playable (which was never said by the leaker), a Minecraft stage wouldn't be that bad. Actuallg it might be interesting if you can freely break the ground beneath you and "shape" the stage in each fight.

And in Smash For we have seen how TP representation goes beyind just playable characters. We have seen trophies from Rayman and Runner2 and Mii Costumes from several other franchises owned by Capcom, Bandai Namco and Square Enix besides:4megaman::4ryu: :4pacman::4cloud:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
If Sakurai wanted to include something iconic from Minecraft, there's a far better option than Steve:

Let's face it, this thing is far more recognizable to gamers, and is probably the most famous single entity of the game. When compared to a default skin that even people who use it never see, with a name that's never uttered, the Creeper is the ultimate symbol of Minecraft.

An item that you cannot pick up, that merely jumps and runs towards the nearest player, then halts, performs a short countdown, then boom.
So we're including a penis? Way to bump this to R-rated game :troll:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
For me, it was Snake and Sonic. Actually I hated the concept of third party characters in Smash 10+ years ago.

Snake because he is associated with Sony Playstation and Sonic because of his annoying fanbase and because he is associated with Sega Genesis.

Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Ryu warmed me to the idea because at least we are finally getting third party characters with close history with Nintendo. That's why I support Simon Belmont.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I gotta admit, the Hero vs Villain roster has grown on me. I still think the combo of Goroh/Medusa/Porky are odd but I can see why they would be picked (the original 12 getting villain reps who have had previous Smash appearances and KI being treated as a major franchise still) and the other choices on it are really solid. Having Mallow tag along with Geno to implement the whole Mario RPG cast, strong third party additions, lots of returning characters and not relying on relevancy to the point of drowning out fun inclusions or shoving in "obligatory" additions like a new FE/Gen 8/Rex&Pyra.

Not like I should give a random imgur rumor any credence, but if it ends up being proven right somehow or even just hinted at being right I'll be very excited. ...Feel like I'm gonna be really disappointed at whatever E3 actually shows.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Most hated character I warmed up to? Honestly, there's a few newcomers I still don't like to this very day.

However, Greninja was one of the few I warmed up to over time. What can I say, I was blinded by Mewtwo. At the time, I didn't understand why such a random Pokemon got on the roster, but once I saw it appearing more in promotional material and the anime, I felt like its spot was deserved.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Not sure how Mallow and Geno as a tag team would work in this one. Maybe Mallow is more on special attacks and Geno is more physical?

Zeox

Smash Champion
(the original 12 getting villain reps who have had previous Smash appearances and KI being treated as a major franchise still)
Oh, I didn't thought in that, but is true, the imgur leak doesn't just pick random Nintendo villains, but with it, all the original smash64 franchises gets a villain, with the return of wolf and all... + Kid Icarus, but I can see some reasons to why Medusa would be chosen.
1. Because if the theme is heroes vs villains, it needs at least one female main villain.
2. Sakurai loves Kid Icarus.
3. It have a lot of potential as a character.
4. It would get along with Snake.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm a complete Lycanroc fanboy, so I just wanted to point something out. As of today's episode in the anime, Lycanroc managed to:
  • Learn Stone Edge
  • Learn Counter
  • Control its "enraged form" and use it as a power-up
  • Win its second Grand Trial
  • Win Lycanium Z
This was all in the span of three episodes. Really hope this push in the anime is hinting toward a presence in Smash (probably doesn't, but I'll continue to straw-grasp regardless).

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Wait what's this Heroes vs Villains theme I'm reading about?
Named characters that will be playable:
Ice Climbers
Mimikyu
Elma
Chorus Kids
Takamaru
Dixie Kong
Wolf
Ridley
K. Rool
Medusa
Porky Minch (in spider mech)
Samurai Goroh
Simon Belmont
Sora
Geno & Mallow (team)
Snake

"Heroes vs Villains theme is intentional, it'll make more sense at E3"

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
the imgur leak, the one with stock images that each one represents a character that would be added, the leaker said that the game have a "heroes vs villains" thematic.
And which previous game had a newcomer “theme”?

T-Hell

Smash Lord
This is slightly off-topic, but wasn't the pokemon Ledian in Melee as a pokeball summon? I really thought he was..

osby

Smash Obsessed
Named characters that will be playable:
Ice Climbers
Mimikyu
Elma
Chorus Kids
Takamaru
Dixie Kong
Wolf
Ridley
K. Rool
Medusa
Porky Minch (in spider mech)
Samurai Goroh
Simon Belmont
Sora
Geno & Mallow (team)
Snake

"Heroes vs Villains theme is intentional, it'll make more sense at E3"
I'm mostly fine with newcomers but it's really weird to have newcomers selected to fill a quota. We *did* have a similar thing in the last game where Sakurai commented the game has a lot of female fighters but that was it.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Because we know Sakurai never adds or does new things with smash games.
Even if he does, it's a weird thing to do, considering villain characters generally don't have a lot of support outside of a few countries. Sakurai has always been pretty vocal about his character inclusions' purpose and it is generally "fanservice".

Melee also has villain newcomers, since they were heavily requested, but it never take the bulk of newcomers. This theme seems to be designed to only satisfy a spesific part of fandom.

And there are newcomers who aren't villains, it's just villain choises are somehow questionable. I'm not writing this leak off but it's still doesn't convince me. I guess we'll see in two weeks.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Even if he does, it's a weird thing to do, considering villain characters generally don't have a lot of support outside of a few countries. Sakurai has always been pretty vocal about his character inclusions' purpose and it is generally "fanservice".

Melee also has villain newcomers, since they were heavily requested, but it never take the bulk of newcomers. This theme seems to be designed to only satisfy a spesific part of fandom.

And there are newcomers who aren't villains, it's just villain choises are somehow questionable. I'm not writing this leak off but it's still doesn't convince me. I guess we'll see in two weeks.
I remember that when listing reasons why Ridley or King K. Rool should be in smash, one of the most recurrent reasons is "Because they are villains, smash really needs more villains".
Is one of the reasons that I wrote when I send my votes for them in the ballot and I'm sure I wasn't the only one.
And of course not all newcomers are gonna be villains because the theme is "heroes vs villains", not just "villains", this means we could see an illustration of Simon Belmot fighting Ridley or Sora fighting Medusa.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The one thing that does bug me about this "hero vs. villain" thing is that our pure villain amount is very small, and some characters are completely neutral.

DGAMER

Smash Apprentice
I could see more villians being added in this game, but centering the whole game around it seems a tiny bit unlikely.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
The one thing that does bug me about this "hero vs. villain" thing is that our pure villain amount is very small, and some characters are completely neutral.
If what they're saying about the original 12 getting villains are true, what's the likelihood Kamek is one of them (who else does Yoshi have?)

Oh, and I finally have full-body Kart Fighter Yoshi as my avatar

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Oh, I didn't thought in that, but is true, the imgur leak doesn't just pick random Nintendo villains, but with it, all the original smash64 franchises gets a villain, with the return of wolf and all... + Kid Icarus, but I can see some reasons to why Medusa would be chosen.
1. Because if the theme is heroes vs villains, it needs at least one female main villain.
2. Sakurai loves Kid Icarus.
3. It have a lot of potential as a character.
4. It would get along with Snake.
Pfft. Female villain? Screw Medusa it's all about Captain Syrup!

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I don't think that list or the heroes vs villains theme is real. However, I do think we're probably getting some villains, like Ridley or K.Rool, and even those 2 are questionable at this point.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Just to compare, leak predicts 13 newcomers and Melee had thirteen newcomers. Both games' previous entries criticised because of a lack of villains.

In Melee, 3 of 13 is bad guys, if you count Mewtwo.
In leak, it's 5/13, near half of the newcomers.

Also:
Brawl; 4/15 are anti-heroes
For; 2/18 if you disclude Miis (I didn't count Bayonetta)

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Glad to see we're getting more villains. The Chorus Kids and Mallow are definitely two of Nintendo's most evil characters.

I don't have a problem with this theme if Nintendo is just taking what Sakurai made and promoting it in a weird way, but if Sakurai actually forced himself to look at certain characters just because they're a villain, I'll be disappointed. I want more villains, but not at the expense of more deserving characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom