• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I used to play Minecraft a lot... not so much now, admittedly in part of not really wanting to associate with the fanbase (there are other alternatives for building anyway, like, say... LEGO Worlds?)

About Steve/Alex from Minecraft, admittedly, the fact that the animations would be so simplistic would make it kind of amusing. Like, you have sword characters with fluid and masterful fighting styles... and then it’s a fair fight against someone awkwardly swinging their arm around while holding a weapon. The fact that he could add terrain to the stage while fighting could be interesting, too.

One thing I never hear brought up in Steve’s defense is that he’d just take far less time to model and animate than most other possible non clone newcomers due to his sheer simplicity. He’d allow more room for more extra content than most other newcomers would.

Nielicus

Smash Lord
Picture this: AC New Leaf stage on top of the train headed to town when you're selecting your town layout/appearance in the beginning of the game, avoiding trees and random references from the series.

(Came up with this as I typed it so this idea could be some bs lmaoo)

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I'm one of those DISGUSTING FREAKS who think that there won't be major changes to Link besides cosmetic ones. Although I do secretly wish he had the weapon durability mechanic and I would laugh in Link mains' faces...
You are disgusting...but only because you claim yourself to be

And I think anyone who’s played BOTW would want Link to have a durability mechanic
Of all the newcomers that realistically could happen, Steve is just behind Lyn for my least wanted character.
But...but The Green Haired Waifu Warrior and Ruler of Fire Emblem Heroes as well as all Fire Emblem Women

My thought with support conversations is to let other franchises in on the codex fun, as it was generally just Snake talking in the context of Metal Gear in Brawl and Pit/Palutena talking in the context of Uprising in 4. Subspace didn't really do it for me with character interaction because the characters were just miming and grunting, not even speaking through text. I want actual dialogue interactions in the crossover between the most iconic Nintendo franchises and characters, I feel it's a long time coming.
Might not be easy if they were to use old voice clips for half or more of the roster and how some of them (Link) can only grunt, beep, Waka and HIYAAH. Not that I’m against the idea, but there would have to be some way to work through conversations with those who don’t speak actual *and proper* words

talking about world builders, what would you guys add to the stage builder that smash4 had?
The ability to make a stage where you can only be KO’d from above and can’t leave the screen from the sides (nearly similar to Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, or DBFighterZ)

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Melee is very popular, but Melee players who are in deep enough to view things like the physics engine and the number of movement options as a make/break aspect of a new Smash game are in the minority. Most people care a lot more by the new characters, stages, and modes when making a decision on whether or not to buy a new Smash Bros game.
You're not wrong, but I think it's worth pointing out that the demographic of people who prefer Melee is larger than that fringe. I am not on the level you describe, but Brawl and even 4 just feel bad to me compared to Melee. Everything's floaty, combos with many characters seem impossible and people live forever. From what I've seen there's a fair demographic of people who will never wavedash in-match but still like to be able to easily improvise combos and that sort of thing.
I can still have fun with 4 like I can have fun with Brawl, but I've been playing Melee and PM and the only likely change is if people make a mod for Smash 5 that's better than PM.
(64 is cool but I only have it on an emulator without a good controller)

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Functionality.
Ooooh buurn! haha

But yeah, seriously...as far as "fun" things:

Background customization, "death zone" manipulation, advanced "prop placement" options (like putting springs in harder to see places), more "interactable" props.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
talking about world builders, what would you guys add to the stage builder that smash4 had?
So, if we start with Smash 4’s Stage Builder as a base:
- A background layer, so that we can make stages look better
- An option for a more coarse grid, for easier terrain blocks (especially since we don’t have a proper stylus on Switch)
- The ability to select which terrain textures are available, rather than tied to the background
- Ability to change the textures of the background plus time of day; makes for more backgrounds “for free”
- More gimmicks, like ice, conveyors, circular moving platforms, fans, etc.
- Perhaps backgrounds / textures based on actual series in addition to the generic ones
- Increase limit on stuff in the level; come on, the console can handle more than that
- Option for smaller blast zones, so that they better match actual stages, making it better for competitive styles stages

At the same time, it might be better to return to the Brawl styled stage builder, as that style is easier to use and doesn’t require as much artistry to make stages that look good (especially without a stylus.)

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I'm one of those DISGUSTING FREAKS who think that there won't be major changes to Link besides cosmetic ones. Although I do secretly wish he had the weapon durability mechanic and I would laugh in Link mains' faces...
Personally I'd be a little shocked if they didn't at least change his grab tbh, boomerang could stay but I could see that going too

And remote bombs are kind of a given

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Honestly, Minecraft is a great game for anyone. It's very appealing when it comes to creativity. This isn't specific to children. The only real thing that can be an issue is the aesthetics, as the blocky design isn't for everyone.

P.Kat P.Kat Please do not double post. Edit your messages instead. :)
Sorry, I myself wasn't sure what happened for my messages to end up like that thanks for taking care of it :)

Yeah, never really got into the whole Minecraft thing I think it's because everything was too blocky (and yet I have no problem with Lego *shrug*), but I can definitely respect some the stuff people made it was incredible.

But all I know about the game itself is that for some reason you don't mine at night. It was so important for some reason, that someone made a song about it, it was kinda catchy actually. But yeah despite not having much interest in it I'm not gonna go around hating on a player's choice character for smash.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Give us the option to have Brawl styled stage builder blocks and what not. I thoroughly enjoyed Brawl's stage builder more than 4's.

Also Targets and Platforms so we can make our own Break The Targets and Board The Platforms stages.

Last edited:

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
I just want it so we can implement more features from stages already in the game in a new stage builder.

Give us Mario Maker level of functionality pls.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
You're not wrong, but I think it's worth pointing out that the demographic of people who prefer Melee is larger than that fringe. I am not on the level you describe, but Brawl and even 4 just feel bad to me compared to Melee. Everything's floaty, combos with many characters seem impossible and people live forever. From what I've seen there's a fair demographic of people who will never wavedash in-match but still like to be able to easily improvise combos and that sort of thing.
I can still have fun with 4 like I can have fun with Brawl, but I've been playing Melee and PM and the only likely change is if people make a mod for Smash 5 that's better than PM.
I do have to agree, even though I’ll likely never be that good at Melee techs and I likely never will practice enough to be good at them, I quite do like pulling off cool combos in stuff like PM (no real reason to play Melee when I have PM, especially when Melee’s viable characters don’t interest me so much), SSF2, and Slap City.
(Part of it is that I can play those games on a keyboard, though, I feel like I have a lot more control in Smash on a keyboard... I doubt Smash 5 will have keyboard support, so...)

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I need Steve like I need a kick in the teeth: don't want it, but sometimes it's just going to happen.

Maybe the sheer lack of animation variety will keep ol' Sak away.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
But...but The Green Haired Waifu Warrior and Ruler of Fire Emblem Heroes as well as all Fire Emblem Women
Ya, I can see the appeal in Lyn, but its just not there for me. I've never really had a good Lyn in Blazing Blade (not enough strength to be a glass cannon, not enough defence/HP to make her a semi-reliable front-liner), plus I think Eliwood and Hector are much more interesting characters and better units. Fire Emblem is one of my favourite Nintendo franchises, so getting Lyn would be really disappointing when we could have someone like Celica, Sigurd, or Arden.

That's a fair point, but I think mechanics of a Smash Bros game are less important the characters in it. As long as the game isn't as slow as Brawl, I don't think too, too many people will mind. More people would rather have Ridley in Smash 5 then the ability to wavedash, but in a perfect Smash 5 there would a wavedashing Ridley.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Bits and pieces of other stages, and items, backdrops, etc. from the franchises in the game. Stage Builder sounds like an awesome idea, but it's so bland and boring it hurts.
Rules kinda don't matter here, so let me build a Hyrule Castle/Great Fox hybrid in space with K.K. singing and Metal Face/whatever new cool boss crashing the party.

Also, looking at the stages in Smash 4, I can't believe how much cooler the 3DS stages were. Things like Nintendogs, Tomodachi Life, Find Mii got cool stages, and Fire Emblem GOT AN ACTUAL STAGE.

Troykv

Smash Master
Ya, I can see the appeal in Lyn, but its just not there for me. I've never really had a good Lyn in Blazing Blade (not enough strength to be a glass cannon, not enough defence/HP to make her a semi-reliable front-liner), plus I think Eliwood and Hector are much more interesting characters and better units. Fire Emblem is one of my favourite Nintendo franchises, so getting Lyn would be really disappointing when we could have someone like Celica, Sigurd, or Arden.

That's a fair point, but I think mechanics of a Smash Bros game are less important the characters in it. As long as the game isn't as slow as Brawl, I don't think too, too many people will mind. More people would rather have Ridley in Smash 5 then the ability to wavedash, but in a perfect Smash 5 there would a wavedashing Ridley.
Are we talking about FE now? :D

Overall, I really like Smash 4's stage builder. It offered me much more freedom overall with creating platforms than Brawl's did, what with the ability to draw platforms and all that ****. There's a few more things I would add, though:

-Bring back the ladders, conveyor belts, spikes, and most of the other stuff that was in the Brawl stage builder and not the SSB4 one.
-Allow much more stuff to be added, because I know the console can take much more.
-More backgrounds and terrain available.
-As someone else here said, stuff from other stages, like, not as in-depth as Mario Maker (I still want some time freed up for more important ****), but still.... y'know, a bit more.
-Let me alter the blast zone size a bit
-Allow people to place blocks like in Brawl, if they aren't artistic enough to draw beautiful stages in Smash 4 like me

And that's it.

wildvine47

Smash Ace
How come so many people hate the idea of Steve from Minecraft being playable?
Steve is six cubes with the simplest animations possible applied to them. To say he'd be stick out like an ugly sore thumb against the rest of the roster would be an understatement.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
My main issue with the Coliseum stage is that the localization team at the Treehouse got the name of the stage wrong.

It should be called Arena. I know they may have wanted to avoid confusion with Arena Ferox, but the actual location it's based on is just called the Arena. Plus there's like three Flat Zones and four Yoshi's Islands. Having Arena Ferox and Arena wouldn't have been a big deal.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
We can start with Etika reaction the same way when mewtwo,Cloud and Corrin got revealed...but all combined into one
And wait for Etika to get 100k views in one week with the Ridley reveal

Ugh are we seriously talking about Minecraft? I never saw what's special about it and the blocky designs don't seem to suit Smash well as it will feel like the black sheep of the Smashers (Game and Watch was easy to dodge that with his 2-D design)

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Honestly, the fact that he didn't. Bothered saying this in his reddit thread makes me think he's not sure at all about the Minecraft things so he play it safe by just discussing it in Gamefaqs

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Wait, do we need another now.
Of course we do
Why not both Lyn and Celica (even if one of them is an alt). Both are definitely the most deserving FE characters to join Smash (the new Lord as well, but that person would probably be kept a secret)

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Hey, fellas, I saw the smash trailer and Lip's gonna appear with the power to control Panels, Tetris blocks, and Puyo Puyo blobs, scoopity doo, woo hoo!

Source:
:019:

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
First, going to be a grumpy old man but we should stop calling text dumps "leaks" They are "rumors." People mix this up too often.

Smash has always had a glut of these text rumors, and the rumors are going to be in full force with E3 around. One thing interesting about Smash leaks (real ones) is that they don't come the big name "leakerz" but from randoms. I expect it will be the same this time. Also, I expect everything thats come out so far is fake.

I don't think we'll hear anything until the day before. We might get something from someone who is working at E3 (they actually hire out a lot of the people walking around the booths). However, Nintendo is likely cracking down on leaks with what happened to Smash 4, so I wouldn't expect some big blow out. If its going to be anywhere, its going to be 4Chan as all the major ones have come from there (Pokemon, Switch).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom