• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I’ll just be standing in the corner where I hope Minecraft isn’t in Smash in any capacity...or anything Konami unless they got their mess together (which is definitely unlikely)

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Steve from Minecraft? No thanks. I would rather have Tetris blocks.
Speaking of Tetris...I can’t believe we haven’t had a Tetris stage yet (or a Doctor Mario stage for that matter)

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Yes, it’s supposed “new info” that he shared just a few hours ago. It wasn’t included in the original leak.
Ok cool

So Steve

My feeling is neutral on this so I wouldn't mind if minecraft happened in smash.

Speaking of which in stage maker make it a mix of brawls maker and smash 4 maker for a perfect one

PixelSun

Smash Apprentice
Steve from Minecraft could actually be a good option. He can have unique habilities such as placing blocks to protect himself (or to zone), eat a steak to cure and be able to craft weapons (with a charge meter, more time spent = more powerful weapon) and so on. I don't really think he'll ever be in Smash but that doesn't mean he don't have reasons to be in.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Speaking of Tetris...I can’t believe we haven’t had a Tetris stage yet (or a Doctor Mario stage for that matter)
We need a Nintendo Puzzle Collection stage. It cycles from Dr. Mario to Yoshi's Cookie to Panel de Pon and back to Dr. Mario.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Speak for yourself ... Poor Ivysaur.
Random thing, what if we got Rowlet, but with a moveset functionally very similar to Ivysaur's?
It doesn't learn Vine Whip, but it could throw leaves in a manner that results in attacks with vaguely similar hitboxes/ frame data.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Random thing, what if we got Rowlet, but with a moveset functionally very similar to Ivysaur's?
It doesn't learn Vine Whip, but it could throw leaves in a manner that results in attacks with vaguely similar hitboxes/ frame data.
No can do.
Rowlet is cute and all. Even my pick as an Alola starter, but ... My all time favourite starter is Bulbasaur. I could not wish to ever see Ivysaur replaced. It's hard enough to see Charizard make the cut, but Squirtle and Ivysaur get the boot ...

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Roy would still be in the game calm down. And he will be playable. You just gotta click on Bowser Jr. a few times.
If we don't get our :4feroy:vs:4roy: rematch to happen, The 5mash is going to be a 0/10

Now that we're discussing puzzles, I question why Lip isn't playable yet?

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
If we don't get our :4feroy:vs:4roy: rematch to happen, The 5mash is going to be a 0/10

My best guess is due to her being a Japan exclusive. But that didn't stop the Fire Emble characters in Melee and people seem to think it won't stop Takamaru this time (to be fair his game was released on the Wii U Virtual Console internationally).

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
You cannot reasonably graft the moveset of a lizard (equipped with tentacle vines and an artillery bulb) onto an owl without drastically misrepresenting or under-utilizing one of them.
Moves that work: Forward special
And that's it

If for some reason we're going to add Rowlet instead of the litany of other Pokemon that would work much better, at the very least it should actually use what Rowlet has.

Last edited:

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
I wonder if Labo Will have its own stage of some sort. I could easily see some sort of transformation stage working really well. Like at one second you’re fighting on top of the fishing rod and before you know you are on top of a house.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Sakurai called "Panel De Pon" a masterpiece.
The same guy who made Marth and Roy, two at the time Japanese exclusives a playable role in Melee.
Who made Lucas, from a game which was never localized outside of Japan during Brawl.
Questioned Takamaru's recognition outside of Japan in Smash 4.

AND still can't give Lip a little Trophy ...

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
I wonder if Labo Will have its own stage of some sort. I could easily see some sort of transformation stage working really well. Like at one second you’re fighting on top of the fishing rod and before you know you are on top of a house.
Let's take it a step further.

How about a Labo set for Smash?

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
You cannot reasonably graft the moveset of a lizard (equipped with tentacle vines and an artillery bulb) onto an owl without drastically misrepresenting or under-utilizing one of them.
And that's it

If for some reason we're going to add Rowlet instead of the litany of other Pokemon that would work much better, at the very least it should actually use what Rowlet has.
Lol now I’m just imagining Rowlet goofily releasing exploding spores and seed bullets everywhere.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I love how fast someone on this forum can turn on any given leak.

I kinda wanna go out into the wild and be all ''I have multiple sources telling me that Captain Toad, Simon Belmont and Sora are all in the game."

Wait three days as it gains traction.

Then just hit it with:

''New source tells me that Fortnite has a playable character, Rocket League has a stage, and Lucas, Mewtwo and Roy have been cut again."
Haha you'll murder somebody if you do that, AND a Fortnite character before Tracer from Overwatch? You monster XD

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Labo-Man for Smash

Pakky

Smash Hero
Because Minecraft is generally associated with toddlers and autism. Sorry to be blunt, but that's the cold hard truth.
That's some hardcore ignorance right there.

I mean sure there some unfavorable points to the franchise(like any other franchise) but the game is pretty solid.

Also saw the source gaming vid on the Owl.

90%?

Pfffffffffffffffffffft okay mate.

Last edited:

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
Q

I mean sure there some unfavorable points to the franchise(like any other franchise) but the game is pretty solid.
I never said anything negative about the game, mind you.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
And that's it

As I said, the moves would have to be really loosely interpreted, and several of them would have to be swapped out.
Like, f-air would be with a pair of Leaf Blades, b-air would have it throw two showers of Leafage behind it in a row, the bulb explosions would be it forcefully scattering a burst of leaves overhead with both arms, some of the grounded attacks would be a single larger leaf being thrown out, ect. The idea isn't to try to clone it directly, as that obviously doesn't work, but to imitate some of the hitbox patterns in a way that fits a completely differently shaped character.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Ya, I can see the appeal in Lyn, but its just not there for me. I've never really had a good Lyn in Blazing Blade (not enough strength to be a glass cannon, not enough defence/HP to make her a semi-reliable front-liner), plus I think Eliwood and Hector are much more interesting characters and better units. Fire Emblem is one of my favourite Nintendo franchises, so getting Lyn would be really disappointing when we could have someone like Celica, Sigurd, or Arden.

That's a fair point, but I think mechanics of a Smash Bros game are less important the characters in it. As long as the game isn't as slow as Brawl, I don't think too, too many people will mind. More people would rather have Ridley in Smash 5 then the ability to wavedash, but in a perfect Smash 5 there would a wavedashing Ridley.
>Sigurd
W O K E

Seriously though, if the Jugdral remakes come out in the next few years I’d definetely campaign for Sigurd with his newfound relevancy. Having a mounted unit would be super unique, maybe he’d be a pseudo transformation character with a dismount option. (I’m pretty sure Sigurd can’t dismount in his game but the mechanic is introduced in his game and his son can do it, I think some creative liberties would be fine.)

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I think that kind of stuff being associated with the Minecraft fanbase is

>Sigurd
W O K E

Seriously though, if the Jugdral remakes come out in the next few years I’d definetely campaign for Sigurd with his newfound relevancy. Having a mounted unit would be super unique, maybe he’d be a pseudo transformation character with a dismount option. (I’m pretty sure Sigurd can’t dismount in his game but the mechanic is introduced in his game and his son can do it, I think some creative liberties would be fine.)
Even better idea, Nintendo and IS should make a Fire Emblem fighting game...or make a Switch FE main title game where heroes across all main games join together to stop a greater evil

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717

90%?

Did they seriously give Decidueye 90%

Poor Bandana Dee only managed to get 50%

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Can Spikey eared Pichu be an alt?

Vegebean said "Minecraft may have a presence in smash"

So it may not as well?

Any one can literally say this about any character though.

Maybe it'll be like Rayman in Smash Wii U. Just a trophy.

John Wick from fortnite for smash 5/// Rocket Ride

Last edited:

Originality

Smash Journeyman
That sound was actually removed from Minecraft a while back I believed. Probably because if you had a female skin it would be pretty weird.

EDIT: Talking about skins, imagine if as an alternate costume you could import your own Minecraft skin?
I had a similar idea about porting your splatoon 2 gear as an alt for Inklings via amiibo, but I think some of the gear wouldn't fit or extend your hitbox probably so it wouldn't work as well

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

90%?

Seems like the SG guy who did that review was wearing some Reddit goggles.

I won't say Decidueye isn't happening, but to call his likelihood 90% is ridiculous.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Do you guys have any last minute predictions for what the Title of the game will be? I’m going with “Universe” or “Champions”.
"Super Smash Bros. Switch" or (what I prefer personally) "Super Smash Bros.: Rivals."

Gives this iteration an "excuse" to put in a whole bunch of villain or rival characters from franchise people don't expect newcomers in. K. Rool, Medusa, Daisy (yes I am using this as an excuse :p ), Mimikyu, Ridley, the list goes on. They can throw in a Champion as a rival to Link or something/I don't know who rivals Link....and Dark Link is boring.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
As I said, the moves would have to be really loosely interpreted, and several of them would have to be swapped out.
Like, f-air would be with a pair of Leaf Blades, b-air would have it throw two showers of Leafage behind it in a row, the bulb explosions would be it forcefully scattering a burst of leaves overhead with both arms, some of the grounded attacks would be a single larger leaf being thrown out, ect. The idea isn't to try to clone it directly, as that obviously doesn't work, but to imitate some of the hitbox patterns in a way that fits a completely differently shaped character.
Imagining that we're just porting close approximations of framedata and the animations are whatever can be done within those constraints:
This is still incoherent. Ivysaur has mobility that makes sense for its anatomy. An owl should not move like that, even if it's just the framedata. You're not doing any justice to the character, it's literally just: A grass type that has this body shape and isn't Ivysaur. Why is this bird not swooping and diving?
"Just change some of the moveset"
Pecking? Clawing? Doing things to demonstrate the personality that made it considered in the first place? Using moves that Ivy doesn't, including any other Flying-type moves?
"Fix that, too"
Then what's left? Very little of substance and that's only there because it was shoehorned in and didn't need to be replaced. It's almost as though they are two different characters who, to be portrayed well, need to be portrayed differently.

Edit: I don't care at all about Rowlet, but people need to stop suggesting clones as though any character can just be built off of any other.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom