• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Personally, I'd rather have one unique character than three clones. Even if they are only 75% unique.
Not me.

:4cloud: was build off from Ike, still feels as his own character
:4bayonetta: was based off Zero Suit Samus, still feels as her own character
:4corrin: was based off Marth, still feels as their own character

With a big chance of having all veterans return, I'd rather have some new characters share some similarities to other characters. This makes learning matchups a little easier, and the developers have some more breathing room. I do not want any character to be forced to be unique and then fail in it's intentional design. For example : Pac-Man. Very unique, still a very flawed character by design.

I rather stick with what works than have them force uniqueness down our troaths.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Welp, if both Simon AND Snake are in Smash Switch, I feel like Bomberman being added as well is almost out of the question being that they are all owned by Konami. Ugh. My dreams.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Linking it to Emily, this kinda fits the "Can't make everyone happy". Then again I don't know if Medusa, Porky and Goroh would really be ultimate roster worthy...

Just speculating before anyone gets on my case for "trusting leaks"!
Geno, K. Rool, Dixie and SPECIALLY Ridley are the most requested since forever.
That with Snake coming back, Sora and Simon Belmot make one of the best rosters of any smash game, I feel that would make the ultimate roster.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
That doesn't confirms anything... but, at the same time, it doesn't disconfirms anything, and that's the interesting part.
But it can either be coincidence, of Vergeben leak is fake, he saw about the imgur leak and decided to mess with our heads.
Yeah, I'm not saying it gives the Imgur leak a lot of credibility, but it was worth pointing out as Snake is far from a safe choice, yet here he is in both of the leaks that were just brought up in this thread.

It could be that this one source is separate from the rest of Vergeben's and is wrong, it could be that it's true but that the Imgur leak is still fake and just made a lucky guess, or everything that both Vergeben and the Imgur leak has stated is false, there are still a lot of things that could mean that this Snake rumor is fake. But, the connection is still there.

Actually?

This does seem like something Sakurai might do. RPG's are about party members. No RPG rep we have thus far does this concept.

However the fact Mallow hasn't been requested as heavily as Geno is what makes me think it unlikely, but I can certainly see a Sakurai thought pattern going on in that idea.
The extend to which Mallow would be involved, should this leak be true, is unknown, I imagine it'd be less of an Ice Climbers scenario and more of a Pikmin & Olimar/Rosalina & Luma thing where Geno is the central character and Mallow helps out. I agree that the concept itself would be a typical Sakurai out-of-the-box idea.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That with Snake coming back, Sora and Simon Belmot make one of the best rosters of any smash game, I feel that would make the ultimate roster.
That's why we shouldn't believe it, remember?

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Well this is technically true.
While it's probably fake, it wouldn't be a bad roster, and DLC could happen.
Also maybe Medusa, Porky and Goroh scored higher than we thought in the Ballot. We are not the best sample when it comes to character's popularity.
Chorus Men are odd though. Are they more popular than any other Rythm heaven character? Or a recycled idea?

In the event it is true, would you be happy with it, or it doesn't have enough characters you like?
Curious, as I think you didn't give your input on the list of characters, or I missed it!

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I also remember Vergeben responding to someone in the Gamefaqs thread where he told his Ridley-IC-Belmont-Nocuts leak. This user said something like "It's impossible that the entire roster of newcomers is leaked THIS soon, especially before even seeing the game in action". And Vergeben responded saying "You know the game comes out this year, right?"

Hmm..

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Also Sora sort of sticks out to me.

But Sakurai has made the seemingly impossible task of getting rights to difficult characters before.

My question would? Donald and Goofy?
Well they're not originally video game characters so I'm not sure it'll work out. Most that would happen is that they'll be a part of his Final Smash or Victory animation that's if Disney allows it and instead we get their silhouettes in the Final Smash.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Only leaks that dissapoint me are real, so no Ridley, no K. Rool, no nothing, 10 of the newcomers are from games that I never played, the rest are characters that I don't care, and then there is one character that I am like "oh yeah I remember this character, ok, nice".
That is how a leak should make me feel to confirm that is real.
If it gives me hype is BS.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Well this is technically true.
While it's probably fake, it wouldn't be a bad roster, and DLC could happen.
Also maybe Medusa, Porky and Goroh scored higher than we thought in the Ballot. We are not the best sample when it comes to character's popularity.
Chorus Men are odd though. Are they more popular than any other Rythm heaven character? Or a recycled idea?
I don't know much about Chorus Kids, but given the previous rumors about them I assumed they were a go to choice. The oddest thing about that potential roster to me is just the complete lack of any new Zelda or Kirby characters.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Linking it to Emily, this kinda fits the "Can't make everyone happy". Then again I don't know if Medusa, Porky and Goroh would really be ultimate roster worthy...

Just speculating before anyone gets on my case for "trusting leaks"!
We gotta have a few surprise inclusions, every Smash game has them, and the fans love getting surprised aswell. It doesn't have to be Medusa, Porky and Samurai Goroh specifically (we could add Chorus Kids to that list if it wasn't for the Gematsu leak), no matter how "ultimate" this roster is we'll still get some characters who might not have been highly requested, a roster that's only based on fan demand would be a mistake.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
>Though after the Imgur leak and Relax Alax fiasco I could just calmly talk fake leak
>Vergeben just come out saying he heard Snake is back.

God ****ing Damnit. EVERYTIME! Go away Hype! I don't want to be dissapointed!

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't know much about Chorus Kids, but given the previous rumors about them I assumed they were a go to choice. The oddest thing about that potential roster to me is just the complete lack of any new Zelda or Kirby characters.
I am really afraid of this possibility but maybe they skip this installment too? There is no obvious newcomers from both of them.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Okay, I really hope vergeben is telling the truth. Do you guys know how ****ing long I’ve waited for Snake? Please let this be true.

As for Porky, I actually think he’s the next logical choice for the next Mother rep. Think about it, the dude is a major character in two Mother games. Other potential choices like masked man are only significant for one particular game. Plus Porky is in the game that was released in the US and the one that wasn’t. It covers both areas.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I think it's really Porky, Goroh and Medusa that make me go ''Oh Sakurai, you ****ed up."

Replace them with literally any other character and I'd be fine with that roster. Granted if real the three could be really unique, but at the same time. It just seems really odd to have a ''Ultimate fan roster" like that one and then you throw in those three random ****ers and not say Captain Toad, Bandana Dee, and someone else actually heavily requested by fans.

Also two Samurai introduced at the same time? That doesn't seem right.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Also maybe Medusa, Porky and Goroh scored higher than we thought in the Ballot. We are not the best sample when it comes to character's popularity.!
If Porky was confirmed in thi game I would probably crap my pants and dance in underwear at the rhythm of his theme from brawl.
I recently played Earthbound and Mother 3, Porky has grow as one of my fav nintendo villains with Ridley, so it would be full hype.
Seriously, Smash switch would become my favorite Smash game of all time just with those 2, no matter if is just brawl 2 or even worse, a fat kid and a purple dragon is all I need.
And the amiibos! oh god I would buy them so fast!

SirCamp

Smash Ace
I am really afraid of this possibility but maybe they skip this installment too? There is no obvious newcomers from both of them.
In particular I'd be surprised by no Bandana Dee/Marx, if only because Japanese fans have apparently been lamenting that Kirby is under repped. And Nintendo is usually more in tune with what their Japanese fans are thinking. Zelda getting no new characters, while very disappointing to me, wouldn't be quite as surprising. Though given how big of a deal BotW has been, I would still think a new one would be likely. But perhaps we'd just have to wait for DLC in that case.

But again, we have no idea about the veracity of this rumor anyway. It could very well just be fake all around.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly I still don't see any reason to believe the Imgur Leak. Not yet at least. Snake was far from something exclusive to it. If Vergeben said someone like Porky was in, then yeah. But Snake isn't a confirmation of it.

That being said if the imgur leak was real then MAN would the Nintendo newcomers this time around be underwhelming for me. The third parties would be amazing, but on the Nintendo side only the Chorus Kids and Dixie do anything for me, and even that's more minor hype than anything (while Porky and Goroh would have excited me more in Brawl or 4 but time took its toll on my enthusiasm for them).

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Please do not double post. Edit your messages instead. :)
Unfortunately, Wolf's return isn't guaranteed, and Krystal doesn't even exist in the third Star Fox timeline.
Yeah you're right I'm just being optimistic, but that doesn't mean I don't know how much of an hill fight I have for Krystal and/or Wolf to get in. One of the only thing I can do is hope that the Star Fox Grand Prix game appears at E3 and that she's included which may give her a slight chance for DLC, but for now I'll just not get too emotionally invested.

A thing that I been thinking... After the game is released you think there will be a second ballot?
I feel like it'll be like a tradition from now on.

Last edited by a moderator:

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Wait okay, actually hold up. Regarding the imgur leak, am I really meant to believe Smash Switch will have ZERO new Fire Emblem characters? I mean I totally passed over that before because I've not actually played a FE game yet myself, but my God scratch everything else I've said, no new FE character is in fact the most dubious part of that leak. I would legitimately be very surprised if that were the case.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I think it's really Porky, Goroh and Medusa that make me go ''Oh Sakurai, you ****ed up."

Replace them with literally any other character and I'd be fine with that roster. Granted if real the three could be really unique, but at the same time. It just seems really odd to have a ''Ultimate fan roster" like that one and then you throw in those three random ****ers and not say Captain Toad, Bandana Dee, and someone else actually heavily requested by fans.

Maybe Sakurai decided to add them because the "Heroes vs Vilain" theme for the newcomers was true all along and honestly beside Bass or Dr.Eggman/Shadow I can't think of a lot of antagonist in already existing series we have.

Thought in that case No Waluigi is weird.

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
I wouldn’t be THAT surprised if Fire Emblem got nothing new off the bat. The most recent, new main character was Corrin, and she’s already there.

Last edited:

SirCamp

Smash Ace
I feel like it'll be like a tradition from now on.
I hope so. I fully plan on inundating Sakurai with Ballots for Isaac, Banjo, Bomberman, Captain Syrup, and Tingle until every one of them is added. Yes I know I have weird taste. At least the last two anyway.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
:4bayonetta: was based off Zero Suit Samus, still feels as her own character
What

Join the club. I too don't see the four Champions doing any better than receiving the assist trophy role, or just being mere trophy cameos.
At best, they’d be apart of Link and Zelda’s moveset

I hope they bring back those Newcomer posters that they would have on the website of Smash 4.
Those must make a comeback (also :4peach:‘s...damn...how is that thing not op)
Dr Mario is barely a clone at this point. Lucina is my least favorite one. I understand she is a popular character, but when she's running across the stage, it just looks like Marth with longer hair. I know Sakurai explained why he didn't just make her an alt...but she could've just been an alt and I think it would've been fine.
Wouldn’t have been fine with Sakurai, I don’t see Long Haired Marth when I watch Lucina run...I see the FE equivalent to Future Trunks (plus their body size kinda helps both of them stay as their own character)

I mean, if you are going to make that kind of argument, then Dark Pit also gets the same level of dislike as Pichu so that argument doesn't support him at all.
Pittoo has way less hate than Pichu has, and atleast he’s actually useful in a fight

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
There's no way that Medusa, Porky, and Goroh did well in the ballot.

Not being out of the public limelight or from games that Nintendo weren't pushing as much anymore.

There's a reason a character like Bayonetta was able to win. She was fresh in people's minds and relevant to Nintendo.

Even if they were requested in the ballot. Surely, people like Waluigi, Daisy, Shovel Knight, Captain Toad, Bandana Dee and countless others did MUCH better.

Hell, even Isaac I'd wager would have done better than ANY of those three.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Okay, I really hope vergeben is telling the truth. Do you guys know how ****ing long I’ve waited for Snake? Please let this be true.

As for Porky, I actually think he’s the next logical choice for the next Mother rep. Think about it, the dude is a major character in two Mother games. Other potential choices like masked man are only significant for one particular game. Plus Porky is in the game that was released in the US and the one that wasn’t. It covers both areas.
Also he is not too big :troll:

We have to take in mind that Sakurai probably wants to please the "older" fans as well. People who played these dead franchises and whatnot. Only making characters that are very recent in history is a mistake in my opinion.
After all, one of the most important values Smash was built on, was Iconicness, and therefore I don't think he should forget about the past when it comes to this.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Wait okay, actually hold up. Regarding the imgur leak, am I really meant to believe Smash Switch will have ZERO new Fire Emblem characters? I mean I totally passed over that before because I've not actually played a FE game yet myself, but my God scratch everything else I've said, no new FE character is in fact the most dubious part of that leak. I would legitimately be very surprised if that were the case.
There were a lot of complains in smash4 that sakurai added too many FE characters... maybe Sakurai felt like he indeed added too many FE characters and he decided that this smash he wouldn't add any new ones and just leave the ones that already are in the game?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If Bandana Dee isn't in then he better be at the top of the DLC list, he's the only newcomer I want that I'm also pretty confident will get in. I'd happily sacrifice him for Ridley, K. Rool, Porky and Snake, that really would be a much better roster than I could have ever expected, but his exclusion would still baffle me, I can't come up with a good reason for not including him. Hopefully if he isn't in it's not because Sakurai has anything against him, and Star Allies would give him the boost he'd need to get in as DLC.

Last edited:

Nielicus

Smash Lord
I think there will be a second ballot but a loooong time from now.

What new items do you guys what to see?

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I can buy into the possibility, seeing as that iirc Sakurai said there were too many FE characters in the roster after DLC was finalized. There's also the possibility of fan backlash against Corrin that may have persuaded Sakurai into not adding any newcomers to placate the fans who are tired of his perceived bias.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Eh. Weird idea that look like a theorist of the Illuminati.

What if the "amongst feasible Characters" when Bayonetta won wasn't for meme pick like Goku and such...

But more like "feasible character I feel I can add as DLC for Wii U, knowing they will sell and keep the rest for Smash Switch?"

SirCamp

Smash Ace
There were a lot of complains in smash4 that sakurai added too many FE characters... maybe Sakurai felt like he indeed added too many FE characters and he decided that this smash he wouldn't add any new ones and just leave the ones that already are in the game?
I really don't think Sakurai or the development team pays as much attention to fan feedback as everyone here seems to think. I wouildn't be surprised if they don't check at all outside the ballot tbh. And I would be hard pressed to be convinced that no one voted for a FE character on that. I'm sure Lyn was quite high up there. Which doesn't mean she is going to get in, but that might lead the team to believe people want a new FE character generally.

And moreover, when they do pay attention to fan critiques I would wager that they mostly look to Japanese fan feedback. Bother because it's probably easier for them and also because let's be real we're talking about Nintendo. So given that, do Japanese players also complain about FE representation? I have no idea.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I've considered they could be semi clones of one another. Totally don't have to be though.

Not being out of the public limelight or from games that Nintendo weren't pushing as much anymore.

There's a reason a character like Bayonetta was able to win. She was fresh in people's minds and relevant to Nintendo.

Even if they were requested in the ballot. Surely, people like Waluigi, Daisy, Shovel Knight, Captain Toad, Bandana Dee and countless others did MUCH better.

It could be they did the best out of first party villians (besides Wolf, Ridley and King K. Rool obviously). We can't forget that the heroes vs. villians aspect is part of this leak, there's no seperating them. It's another hard to believe aspect of the rumor.

Also, it's unfortunate we've all been trained to expect less from Sakurai :/ I really hope this game surprises people.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I really don't think Sakurai or the development team pays as much attention to fan feedback as everyone here seems to think
But that's wrong?
Literally all "Internal poll" for newcomers between each smash at Least had one/two Characters choosen.
If he wasn't listening, we would still have random tripping.
Or we wouldn't get balance Patch that LITERALLY try to fix Fan's complain/competitive people which are barely a small fraction of the community

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Thought the same about Bayonetta, her being top 5 in Europ surprised me.
Maybe they did well in Japan?
We'll see my friend, do not worry, it's probably fake anyway.
Bayonetta ALWAYS has been very popular in Europe.

Also even in Japan? Surely far more popular characters than those 3.

Not really worried about it being fake or not. Just find it puzzling anyone would even remotely try to pass those 3 off as a real thing.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

Not that I believe this fake leak, but why would the ballot even be a factor for those three?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom