• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Why is everyone talking about the imgur "leak" so much now? Did something happen to make it more credible? What am I missing?
Vergeben said Snake was in the game, and the imgur leak includes him as well.
While it could be logical due to Simon "possibly" being in according to both leaks, it's a pretty bold statement.
Also lack of things to talk about.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Cutting so many characters just for the sake of the Ridley fans I mean the critics against FE compared with whatever franchise you want to talk about.... It would hurt many people.
Well, cuts have happened and they are going to happen. Just look at :mewtwomelee::roymelee::pichumelee::linkmelee::drmario::squirtle::ivysaur::lucas::wolf::popo::snake:. As much as it sucks losing characters, it's a reality we all have to face and denying it will just make it hurt that much more. What good does being optimistic about a no-cut scenario when it's just unrealistic at this point?

As far as FE is concerned, I wouldn't be surprised if it lost two characters, similar to how Pokemon lost two from Brawl to Smash 4 and was reduced to 5 in the base roster. More importantly, dismissing the chance of a newcomer from that franchise even though it's really not that less "likely" than characters that supposedly have more chance could potentially lead to people being blindsighted. Assumptions based off what "makes sense" by the standards of this community is how people got surprised by :4wiifit::rosalina::4greninja::4robinm::4lucina::4drmario::4darkpit::4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4feroy::4ryu::4cloud::4corrin::4bayonetta:.

Corrin still might not have made it due to FE overrepresentation, and he made it because dragon stuff. If Sakurai doesn't deem Celica or whoever unique enough, they won't be a newcomer.
Uniqueness wouldn't be an issue for Celica due to how magic works in her game.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
Important note: Porky's scale to the mech in mother 3 makes the mech smaller than it was in brawl.

I don't think this character is likely, but I do think that he's theoretically realizable and theoretically the third mother representative should we ever get one.
Let me give you a better scale, made by Dalek_Kolt:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
When thinking of Porky and the fact he would probably play in his spider mech I immediately think of Brawl and think it's too big or too clunky to control. Then I think of the other too big boss in brawl, and I guess if they could make him work, they can make Porky's mech work.

Still interested to see how that works if this rumor is correct.

the spider mech from earthbound looks significantly smaller than the one from mother 3 which is the one used in brawl tbh

SirCamp

Smash Ace
This could be used as a good start. It's weird how it was unused though.
I know everyone hates the size argument, but is he not huge here as well? I've only actually play Star Fox 64 so maybe I'm just wrong, but I thought he was supposed to be massive. And since that picture has no reference frame I really have no idea how big he is in that form.

Troykv

Smash Master
Well, cuts have happened and they are going to happen. Just look at :mewtwomelee::roymelee::pichumelee::linkmelee::drmario::squirtle::ivysaur::lucas::wolf::popo::snake:. As much as it sucks losing characters, it's a reality we all have to face and denying it will just make it hurt that much more. What good does being optimistic about a no-cut scenario when it's just unrealistic at this point.

As far as FE is concerned, I wouldn't be surprised if it lost two characters, similar to how Pokemon lost two from Brawl to Smash 4 and was reduced to 5 in the base roster. More importantly, dismissing the chance of a newcomer from that franchise even though it's really not that less "likely" than characters that supposedly have more chance could potentially lead to people being blindsighted. Assumptions based off what "makes sense" by the standards of this community is how people got surprised by :4wiifit::rosalina::4greninja::4robinm::4lucina::4drmario::4darkpit::4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4feroy::4ryu::4cloud::4corrin::4bayonetta:.
Outside of Roy, I'm not personally attached to any of the FE characters in Smash; I know cuts are always a possibility, but... it feels wrong to me that someone actively wants that other character ended up being cut.

Last edited:

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Well, cuts have happened and they are going to happen. Just look at :mewtwomelee::roymelee::pichumelee::linkmelee::drmario::squirtle::ivysaur::lucas::wolf::popo::snake:. As much as it sucks losing characters, it's a reality we all have to face and denying it will just make it hurt that much more. What good does being optimistic about a no-cut scenario when it's just unrealistic at this point?

Uniqueness wouldn't be an issue for Celica due to how magic works in her game.
I would be inclined to agree about cuts. As much as people seem to hate the notion I don't think they are entirely a bad thing. But as it stands the most reliable rumor we have at the moment states there will be zero cuts, so given that we have nothing better to go on right now I wouldn't assume that there will be any.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
But, the leak says there is a new pokemon.
In fairness that leak does include Mimikyu, so yes there would be a new Pokemon. But, I agree. It would be fairly underwhelming for me as well.
Whoops, completely missed that lol.
Not my first choice but...I guess?

Maybe I’m just hard to please this time around

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
This^

>No new Kirby rep
>No Waluigi
>No new Pokémon
>No Chrom
>No Crash + Rayman to round out platforming icons
>Randy *** Porky and Goroh

“Ultimate roster”

Like, I know not owning a 64 or GameCube has Hades strange effects on what my personal dream roster would be, but that Imgur roster would just be super anti-hype for me.
The leak actually lists Mimikyu as the newcomer Pokemon. No Waluigi is not that weird, as much as he is being requested, his status and position in videogames doesn't make him stand out too much, and I LOVE Waluigi and want him so bad, but honestly, having him as an AT is more than a gift, considering the circunstances.

Now, no Rayman is one that actually would surprise me..

Zeox

Smash Champion
The leak actually lists Mimikyu as the newcomer Pokemon. No Waluigi is not that weird, as much as he is being requested, his status and position in videogames doesn't make him stand out too much, and I LOVE Waluigi and want him so bad, but honestly, having him as an AT is more than a gift, considering the circunstances.

Now, no Rayman is one that actually would surprise me..
Maybe Ubisoft doesn't wants to give Rayman to nintendo more than a stupid thropy... after all, we got a Mario + Rabbids game without a single Rayman.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
I've been thinking about potential new Kirby stages. We haven't got anything recent yet, I would love to see a stage from one of the newer Kirby games but if not I would love to see Mt. Dedede or a Dark Matter stage.

Also this should be Kirby's new Final Smash:

Zeox

Smash Champion
I've been thinking about potential new Kirby stages. We haven't got anything recent yet, I would love to see a stage from one of the newer Kirby games but if not I would love to see Mt. Dedede or a Dark Matter stage.

Also this should be Kirby's new Final Smash:
I would like to see Popstar's moon as a new kirby stage (or I think that's where you fight Marx):

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
If Snake is back, I truly hope we get the Codec discussion once again.

They were miles better than the Palutena guidance

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Rayman and Rabbids are two separate entities. They are not mutually exclusive anymore.

People need to start grasping this concept as firmly as they have the fact that you can have Yoshi and Wario games that don't feature anything sterotypically Mario about them.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Since the discussion of cuts was brought back up, I think there is definitely going to be some. If rumors are true and there aren't any, I personally am gonna temper my expectations for how much new we're really gonna get outside DLC.

Signs are pointing to this Smash being new and not a Smash 4 Deluxe. Bringing everyone back from Wii U/3DS would be extremely time consuming, and would eat in to dev time that could be spent on (in my opinion) much better things, so yeah, I'm actually kind of hoping the no cuts thing is false.

?????????????

Smash Master
i had an idea once for a "Milky Way Wishes" stage. It's a scrolling stage, but it's just a straight-shot run. You have to fight while moving at a brisk speed; something slow enough for the slowest characters to comfortably run, but still something where you're constantly on the move.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Rayman and Rabbids are two separate entities. They are not mutually exclusive anymore.

People need to start grasping this concept as firmly as they have the fact that you can have Yoshi and Wario games that don't feature anything sterotypically Mario about them.
Yeah, the main difference between Rabbids and Rayman is that one franchise is alive and the other is not.
Hahahahahaha.... haha.... oh... I made myself sad.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
But it will be classic Snake, old Snake, or any of the other crazy Snake variations?
Easy, like Brawl, a mix of Snake/Big boss MGS3.

But now you get a mix from Snake, Big Boss, Venom snake :secretkpop:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion

The "Ultimate Roster" if it's real.
I put Geno next to the Mario series, but feel free to put it at the bottom.

Once put into shape, I'm not certain ultimate is what I would say. But it has some nice choices.

Jesus, if Snake comes back I'll definitely overcome the loss of Rayman.
Too good to be true though.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Maybe Ubisoft doesn't wants to give Rayman to nintendo more than a stupid thropy... after all, we got a Mario + Rabbids game without a single Rayman.
A friend of mine, who also loves Smash, told me that Ubisoft and Nintendo had a very good relationship lately, especially after the Mario+Rabbids game. Now, I don't have any source or proof of that other that him telling me. He likes to do research on videogames and stuff so I guess he saw that somewhere, or maybe just guessed that much.
Who knows at this point.

?????????????

Smash Master
Signs are pointing to this Smash being new and not a Smash 4 Deluxe. Bringing everyone back from Wii U/3DS would be extremely time consuming, and would eat in to dev time that could be spent on (in my opinion) much better things, so yeah, I'm actually kind of hoping the no cuts thing is false.
It depends on what you define as "new."

If it heavily borrows assets from Smash Wii U while changing SOME things, like Link's design, while adding new material, I think that's more than "new" enough. Plus, it accounts for how all veterans could be made to return easily.

?????????????

Smash Master
More than anything, I'm not really accounting for "cuts" because even if anyone DOES get cut, they'll probably just come back as DLC.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I kinda find it hard to believe Snake is back in the base game especially with Simon in too. I would think they save Snake for DLC considerations. Wanted Veterans and 3rd Party characters made up a majority of the DLC of Smash 4, Snake is literally both combined.

That said I certainly wouldn't mind. Alot of the 3rd parties we had in Smash 4 should have the chance to meet up with Snake. Most of them or maybe even all of them likely never get their shot without his surprise inclusion.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

The "Ultimate Roster" if it's real.
I put Geno next to the Mario series, but feel free to put it at the bottom.

Once put into shape, I'm not certain ultimate is what I would say. But it has some nice choices.

Jesus, if Snake comes back I'll definitely overcome the loss of Rayman.
Too good to be true though.
This would be amazing imo. Two of my top 3 most wanted (Ridley & Mimikyu), some of the most wanted classic all stars (King K. Rool & Dixie), the return of beloved cut veterans, and some other characters that defintely intrest me (Medusa, Porky, Goroh and Geno).

Really the only thing I would be dissapointed in is the lack of an ARMS rep, but I've been prepping myself for that possibility and can always hope on dlc.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I’ll simply say it now. There’s no telling what will happen this game in regards to cuts. There I simply no way to tell at this moment.

Surely no one should necessarily go in thinking there’s no way cuts will happen. Expectations should be aligned to accommodate for this. However, I think there is potential for a situation in which cuts are not made.

I’ve made a case for the timeline of development to lend itself to a lot of borrowing of material, and the fact that production started the same year as the completion of Wii U/3DS content finished up. This obviously isn’t set in stone, but something about that seems...odd.

One thing to consider with the ballot is that any cut veterans instantly become top voted for newcomers. Wolf is a huge pick, and he was cut in after Brawl. Whoever gets cut from Wii U/3DS will, you guessed it, instantly become a top pick to return the following game.

Now, i’m not foolish enough to suggest Sakurai and his team are supermen and women. Certainly that’s a massive workload. But something doesn’t seem right about it all. You have the ballot, which requests for picks from fans. You have a late dev cycle that is picked back up just a wee bit after finishing the previous iteration. You have the death of one console that few fans bought (in comparison to what could have been) and a new console that marketing research would probably suggest would sell better than the Wii U.

Death of one console, birth of a better one with a wider audience.

I think it’s entirely possible that there may not be cuts, though that may sacrifice newcomers. I don’t think anybody can make the judgment just yet that there will or won’t be cuts to the roster. We only have a wee bit of time to find out.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Oh snap, does being ballsy now count towards leak credibility?

Alright, for my new leak, Snake is coming back, all other third parties are cut, the only other newcomer is Ridley, all smash 64 vets are cut. Also, mysterious hint at a surprise that will blow everyone's mind.

Where are my million followers?

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Two of my top 3 most wanted (Ridley & Mimikyu).
Ah, I see that you're a man of culture as well.
ARMs is a top choice as DLC, then Pokémon, Xenoblade 2 with Rex, and Metroid with Sylux maybe?

Oh snap, does being ballsy now count towards leak credibility?

Alright, for my new leak, Snake is coming back, all other third parties are cut, the only other newcomer is Ridley, all smash 64 vets are cut. Also, mysterious hint at a surprise that will blow everyone's mind.

Where are my million followers?
Sadly your Uncle doesn't work at Nintendo, you're out. :troll:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It depends on what you define as "new."

If it heavily borrows assets from Smash Wii U while changing SOME things, like Link's design, while adding new material, I think that's more than "new" enough. Plus, it accounts for how all veterans could be made to return easily.
I suppose so. I guess I would just be bummed if it looked exactly like Smash 4 without any tweaks being made, as Smash 4's art style didn't really work for me on some characters.

Plus, (and I know this is gonna be a super unpopular opinion) I REALLY don't want stuffing the roster to be the end goal like it was in Wii U/3DS. I would much rather attention be given to the parts of those games that were really lacking, like a meaningful single player, a good stage builder, fun minigames, better stage design, and more varied and unique gameplay modes for multi-player.

Characters are fun, yes, but I personally think they were pushed too much in the previous games, and as a result a lot that I personally enjoy about Smash suffered, which why I still kinda like Brawl over Wii U /3DS. Tripping aside, that game did (and still does) do a lot right for me. To each their own, though. :)

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
I would like to see Popstar's moon as a new kirby stage (or I think that's where you fight Marx):
Given that the sun and moon are fighting while that's happening, it's probably not the case. But there's another good reason to include Popstar's moon:
This bossfight actually does take place on the moon, though I have no idea why it looks like that.

Also the end of that fight gives the stage something to do:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
I kinda find it hard to believe Snake is back in the base game especially with Simon in too. I would think they save Snake for DLC considerations. Wanted Veterans and 3rd Party characters made up a majority of the DLC of Smash 4, Snake is literally both combined.

That said I certainly wouldn't mind. Alot of the 3rd parties we had in Smash 4 should have the chance to meet up with Snake. Most of them or maybe even all of them likely never get their shot without his surprise inclusion.
It's hard for you to believe that two characters can come from the same 3rd party?

Well, that's happened twice already.

(:4megaman: & :4ryu:), (:4sonic: & :4bayonetta:).

If we got Simon and Snake as well, that'd be really neat.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I'd rather have Simon and Bomberman than Simon and Snake though, just because I think Bomberman fits more in the Smash universe and because I like him way more, but hey, I wouldn't mind too hard.

SonicMario

Smash Master
It's hard for you to believe that two characters can come from the same 3rd party?

Well, that's happened twice already.

(:4megaman: & :4ryu:), (:4sonic: & :4bayonetta:).

If we got Simon and Snake as well, that'd be really neat.
That's not what I meant.

One was base game, one was DLC in both of those examples. Though I guess if no cuts, or at least no guest cuts then it would certainly be possible. I'm not saying a company getting two characters getting two characters is not believable. I remember that from Smash 4's DLC period :p

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I'd rather have Simon and Bomberman than Simon and Snake though, just because I think Bomberman fits more in the Smash universe and because I like him way more, but hey, I wouldn't mind too hard.
I wish Bomberman was in Smash 4.
I would love to see all of the 9/11 or ISIS joke his miiverse community would have spawn in the Miiplaza stage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom