• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
From Vergeben on GameFAQs:

Some of that Smash stuff going around in the leaks people are paying attention to that look like they use mine as base seems to possibly be a blend of truth and fiction. We'll see in time. I don't know everything as I have said I don't know the full roster of fighters yet.
But I will give you something new aside from Snake that I did today... which is that Minecraft may have a presence in Smash I heard. The capacity I'm not sure. Stage or an assist trophy.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Alright, Imma give you the truth.

Snake probably isn't coming back, and Simon won't be a newcomer. Unless Nintendo quite litterally forced Sakurai to add Snake and Simon, Sakurai would probably not wish to colaborate with Konami. (Kojima was one of his friends.) Nintendo would probably not want to force Sakurai, since Sakurai is very control heavy in his games, and Nintendo might receive some bad press from woring with Konami.

If it wasn't for Simon/Snake, I could see the imgur leak being real, but those two discredit the entire leak.
Well in some ways I agree

Kojima did request snake and he decided to try it and the fans liked it and that was probably a 1 time thing

But however the ballot may give snake the upper hand since the fans actually loved it

And the fact is (low chance) history could repeat itself with sudo51's Travis touchdown and he definitely still wants it to happen to this day of Travis making it in smash in a recent article he may give it a shot Andy just strait out say "put Travis in smash"

An article to prove it
https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2018...n-next-super-smash-bros-game-nintendo-switch/

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

...I'm trying to not let my bias sink in but this has made me doubt him a lot...he does use multiple sources so maybe this is an unreliable one.

While he does say assist or stage, it just seems unlikely...but that's probably all my bias. Weird addition I didn't expect.

(ALSO he's been pretty clear about stuff in the past....not being sure how Minecraft is involved is fishy. I mean can his source not tell if it's a stage or assist trophy???)

(The comment on other leaks makes sense. Didn't believe them, and the mixture of real is probably reffering to the piggybacking).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oooookaaaay. Minecraft stuff in Smash is a pretty bold claim, so...yeah, I think this is definitely changing how I view what he says.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see. Although, the more he says the more I begin to doubt him even more than I already do, lol.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
If Minecraft just got a stage, if be super down for that. I'm not really down for Steve as a playable character though. If he gets in, though, I guess he deserves it.

D

Deleted member

I...would actually be super down for Minecraft stuff in Smash.

I mean, it's not gonna happen, but it would be cool.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
If Nintendo were to get Minecraft content, that means they’d have to go to Microsoft, right? Not saying it’s impossible because obviously Minecraft remain multiplatform but just curious.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
How come so many people hate the idea of Steve from Minecraft being playable?
Probably because of the negative stigma surrounding it due to the small children that play it. I’m not against it, I was worried that Vergeben saying it makes his **** less likely because I want Snake and Simon damn it.

Zeox

Smash Champion
When Smash comes, the switch would have a new pack with the console + smash.
Switch have 2 very different joy con, one blue, one red.
a smash switch pack will come with a switch with smash thematic.
Heroes vs villains
one with a lighter color and the silhouettes of some heroes, the other with silhouettes of the villains of those heroes.
In the middle (no, not in the screen, in the opposite side), the logo of smash and the silhouette of the master hand.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
At least Steve will fill in something for my predictions at least. Even if I did not predict it. I have been looking for something to fill in the 15th unique newcomer for my roster analysis, so I guess this will do. When I did put Steve in my prediction roster before, I did have a similar gut feeling he would be in like with Sora so.. So I guess Steve will be something I need to think about thoroughly today. I should have not doubted my gut before.

Zeox

Smash Champion
But I will give you something new aside from Snake that I did today... which is that Minecraft may have a presence in Smash I heard. The capacity I'm not sure. Stage or an assist trophy.
He didn't said a character from minecraft but rather a STAGE or assist trophy, and that actually makes sense.
Minecraft IS in the switch, it got nintendo skins, and is popular, a stage from a switch games makes a lot of sense, specially if is popular.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
My problem with Steve is that if we were to get a Microsoft character, I would want Banjo, not him

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Vergeben:
Says Ridley will be in the game

Y'all:
Yeah he's real

Vergeben:
Says the M-word

Y'all:
lmao another fake leak
To be fair? I think it's fake, simply because someone is more likely to say that when we know Sakurai loves Minecraft from articles earlier this year. It just seems a coat-tells sort of thing.

Like when people were like ''Welp, we're getting Stardew Valley content" a few weeks ago.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Does anyone else think it's weird that he said stage or assist??? How could that be vauge?

Until he clarifies, this sounds like it could be from a more unreliable source.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I think its mostly two things

1.cause he's devoid of character and personality, like Mii's kind of, and...

2. he represents a certain "young" youtube watching gamer crowd that many old timers think is the wrong direction for gaming...kind of like how many people dont like the "bro" crowd who only play call of duty. regardless if you play minecraft or call of duty (ive played a good amount of both) the communities themselves are somewhat looked down upon by other gamers for various reasons.

personally i'd like smash to representing as many aspects of gaming (specifically nintendo gaming, even if that includes rivalries and such) through the years, and steve probably represents the younger youtuber watching gaming gen about as well as anything so i'd feel he is worthy, my bigger issue would be his lack of personality.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
People are making the mistake of grouping together all Vergeben"s sources.

His first source claims Ridley is in the game.
His second source claims Ridley, Simon, Ice Climbers, and no cuts are in the game.
His third source claims Ridley will have a presence at E3 outside of Smash.
This new source (which may or may not be one of his previous sources) claims Minecraft will be in Smash to some capacity.

If you have an issue with Minecraft or Simon Belmont, then disregard the source that mentions it. There's no reason to believe ALL of what he says is wrong just because one of his sources was lying/incorrect. Granted, I'm being cautious about believing any of this, but still.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
How cool, funny and epic would it be, if the Smash presentation at E3 literally starts with a cinematic of a 3DS just laying on the floor in the middle of a huge, empty room. The camera zooms in on the 3DS, and like 5 seconds latter, you see in the 3DS's screen 2 humanoid shadows, and 2 second latter, 2 hammers appear in the middle of the screen and SMASH that 3DS as Nana and Popo scream from the effort. Then the camera goes up to zoom them, they high-five each other as they smile, and just walk away. LOL.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Alright, Imma give you the truth.

Snake probably isn't coming back, and Simon won't be a newcomer. Unless Nintendo quite litterally forced Sakurai to add Snake and Simon, Sakurai would probably not wish to colaborate with Konami. (Kojima was one of his friends.) Nintendo would probably not want to force Sakurai, since Sakurai is very control heavy in his games, and Nintendo might receive some bad press from woring with Konami.

If it wasn't for Simon/Snake, I could see the imgur leak being real, but those two discredit the entire leak.
You...you get it
If that leak is real and Medusa is a newcomer can we finally admit that Sakurai is biased towards Kid Icarus?
Smash 4 made that obvious...
  • :4pit: Moveset being 100% based on his Uprising (voice and his “VICTORY” victory pose included)
  • :4palutena:Becoming a playable character
  • :4darkpit:Almost being an alt and instead becomes his own edgy character
  • Viridi showing up on both Uprising stages (and there’s also 3 KI stages total)
  • Has the most amount of Smash Run enemies (literally every enemy in Uprising)
  • Has special love and care given to each detail about them
  • Is the only series in Smash to have Smash Brose canon to them out of all the other Nintendo characters (Bayonetta might be the second series to go down this path thanks to Rodin)
  • Has some of the best music in the game
  • Two assist trophies and multiple items
  • They have their own special conversations (Palutena’s Guidance, :4palutena:has her own victory lines to the two angles, and :4darkpit:tries to be edgy over the superior :4pit:)
  • :4pit:Is practically the new beginner character and the most balanced/fairest of them all...even more so than usual beginner character :4mario:
...so what do you mean finally admit? Can’t admit something everyone already knows (ignoring the Mario, Zelda, Pokémon, and Fire Emblem series, since they easily get more love overall cause that makes sense)

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
You’d think if they got the rights to Minecraft they’d go all they way and make a character for it, but then again there is the Rayman trophies so..

Staarih

Smash Master
Minecraft would lend itself really well as a stage tbh. But wouldn’t they opt for something more than that if they’re in talks with Microsoft to begin with?

Anyway, I’m so out of the loop with all these so called leaks, feels like each day a new character is added to an already vague list of newcomers lol. I’m so happy E3 is happening in less than a few weeks.

Oh, and Rhythm Heaven talk. I kinda like the idea of a duo or trio character to represent it. I feel like all kinds of moves to do with claps and music and rhythm and all that would work well on a character with multiple ”entities”. Which is why I instantly liked the idea of Chorus Kids. Though I’d gladly take any RH character as long as one gets in.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
a minecraft stage would be a much better way to rep the series than Steve imo, minecraft is popular for its world not so much its characters.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Personally it comes down to his appearance and lack of personality. I have never been a big fan of the style of Minecraft. I often played with friends, but I'd slap some texture packs on there to make it less hideous. The stigma surrounding Minecraft with the little kids and such doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I'd love for new kids to develop interest in Smash. I just personally wish it didn't have to be Steve that draws the interest.

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
If Minecraft was to have an assist trophy, I think a Creeper is the most obvious decision. A stage that could shatter cube by cube with the mayhem, could be a cool idea too.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Banjo and Kazooie is still the only Microsoft product I see joining Smash...a stretch would be Master Chief just because I wanna see Samus vs MC

Khao

Smash Lord
Honestly the only reason I hate the idea of Steve in Smash is due to the way he looks. He looks bad and awkwardly out of place even in his home series. I get that he's purposely made out of simple blocks, but the amateurish pixel-art textures, coupled with terrible color choices, coupled with freaking rotations for animations, coupled with the fact that the tools he uses are in a completely different style... It just make him look like an unpolished placeholder that should've never been in a finished professional game. Other games have pulled off the voxel aesthetic better, so style is not even an excuse.

Heck, even Mr. Game & Watch looks more self-consistent in comparison.

I'd totally be up for a stage, though.

Last edited:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Banjo and Kazooie is still the only Microsoft product I see joining Smash...a stretch would be Master Chief just because I wanna see Samus vs MC
Oh boy have I got the THING for you!

In regards to Minecraft getting a stage, it makes more sense to me than getting a character. Because in Minecraft, the focus is on the world, not the characters.

T-Hell

Smash Lord

Am I the only one who all of a sudden started to doubt him just because of that? And I'm not saying it because "Duh, Minecraft is impossible", but rather for the wording, the tone, and the moment.
Wouldn't have made more sense to say that at the same time he told about Snake? To me, the way he says that sounds like "Hmm, let's think of something crazy while I'm at it.. hmm.. oh, sure, Minecraft. But I won't talk about Steve cause that could be a stretch, rather I'll say stage or AT. On Friday I'll say something about hearing that Rayman is in".
I don't know, to me it sounded just like that, like making it up all of a sudden, in the heat of the moment, so to speak.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Totally agree with Banjo > Steve.

banjo has personality and is easily the best rep for the N64/RARE era of nintendo gaming. where as getting steve would be to appeal to this younger minecraft playing crowd of youtuber watching kids, and that might be a slippery slope to five nights at freddies and fortnight and whatever the flavor of the week happens to be getting requested for smash and has little to do with nintendo.

a minecraft stage however id be totally fine with, steve while i dont want him im not OPPOSED to him, i dont mind that gaming crowd getting a "rep" to pull them in, im just afraid of the presidence it could set and the fact it would be choosing to negotiate for steve instead of banjo where banjo SHOULD be at home with nintendo.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Banjo and Kazooie isn't going to do anything for Microsoft though is the problem. I mean granted, it could just be a Geno situation like he would be with Square.

But in all scenarios where Geno is involved. There's at least Cloud or Cloud and Sora on top of him.

So you can't get Banjo without another Microsoft character I'd wager. Alone he's virtually not happening, because they don't even promote him themselves.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Am I the only one who all of a sudden started to doubt him just because of that? And I'm not saying it because "Duh, Minecraft is impossible", but rather for the wording, the tone, and the moment.
Wouldn't have made more sense to say that at the same time he told about Snake? To me, the way he says that sounds like "Hmm, let's think of something crazy while I'm at it.. hmm.. oh, sure, Minecraft. But I won't talk about Steve cause that could be a stretch, rather I'll say stage or AT. On Friday I'll say something about hearing that Rayman is in".
I don't know, to me it sounded just like that, like making it up all of a sudden, in the heat of the moment, so to speak.
But on the opposite hand, if you are trying to make a fake leak you would want to sound convinced of what you are saying at 100%.
If he have a leaker that is not convinced and just hear something about minecraft in smash, he would say something similar to "maybe a stage or a trophy"

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
This'll probably be my last roster before E3.

As you can tell, I definitely took some creative liberties with my choices. :p

This is my favorite so far. With the exception of a few at the bottom I don't know about, I'd be very happy to see this roster. My only complaint would be no Viridi or Medusa but with everything in this roster I'd get over it pretty quickly.

Also, I really would like an Undertale character although I'd prefer Sans.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom