• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So... Sakurai's toy purchase is something from Ginga Hyōryū Vifam?

A quick search showed me this. Is that it?

According to my findings, apparently it's an old anime from the 1980s involving mechas like this.

Hmm... that mecha looks familiar to me... a new BattleClash game? It could be similar to Kid Icarus Uprising since it's a shooting game too.

ST Falcon for Smash!

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Personally, I won't be surprised if Sakurai is on a totally different project.

I say if we don't get a Port at least announced this year then we can look forward to the hype cycle of a brand new Smash game.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Bubsy for Smash!! ;)
Jk please don't. That insufferable furball doesn't deserve a slot!!!

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I am looking at the gameplay, and a few things:

1. The game moves so slowly.
2. You don't show your character getting killed in trailers.
3. There's nothing exciting, from what I can tell.

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
I have not yet watched a single second of gameplay footage. It is already so much better than Bubsy 3D.

Why did they need to redo Bubsy though? He was never really a success, just a cheap Sonic knockoff. He shouldn't come within a thousand light years of Smash. I honestly can't think of a worse character.

This is not the place to discuss off ropic things like new games for a franchise.

Unless it is dirrctly neing correlated with SMASH it doesnt belong here. Bring it to Nintenzone or another social.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It's not even coming to an Nintendo platform so it's a non-issue. (wonder if it's PS exclusive the same way Devil's 3rd was WiiU exclusive).

Ultimate fantasy for Smash Switch, no matter if it's Melee HD, port of 4 or new game, is a special pro controller shaped like a Gamecube one. The sticks are in the right place at least.

P.Kay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
plenty.kay
3DS FC
3153-8243-0352
I heard some rumors about older Smash titles (64 and Melee most likely) being available for purchase as Virtual Console titles on the eShop. Does anyone know if the rumors are true?

If this is true, I'd be pretty excited to say the least.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I dont think Impa's situation is like Meowtlh's at all. Status wise yeah, but Impa is just about the only reoccurring Zelda character, whereas Meowth has a couple of 100s of Pokémon he has to compete with.

Hyrule Warriors was also one of the Wii U's most popular games. Zelda also hasn't had a newcomer since Brawl. And it's one of Nintendo'a biggest franchises.

So still think she's got a good shot.

P.Kay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
plenty.kay
3DS FC
3153-8243-0352
I dont think Impa's situation is like Meowtlh's at all. Status wise yeah, but Impa is just about the only reoccurring Zelda character, whereas Meowth has a couple of 100s of Pokémon he has to compete with.

Hyrule Warriors was also one of the Wii U's most popular games. Zelda also hasn't had a newcomer since Brawl. And it's one of Nintendo'a biggest franchises.

So still think she's got a good shot.
That seems fair, I agree with you.

Honestly, I'm surprised that Kid Icarus got a newcomer (Palutena) in Smash 4 but Zelda didn't.
I personally think Midna would be a nice addition to Smash.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Midna honestly seems likely if it's a direct port and they keep the Twilight Princess designs around. Which is likely. Yet that doesn't rule Impa out, who's move set could be made by usin assets of either Cloud or Sheik.

Honestly, I'm surprised that Kid Icarus got a newcomer (Palutena) in Smash 4 but Zelda didn't.
Probably had something to do with the fact that Kid ICarus had a really recent revival that was very popular (knowing the assets inside and out probably helped a lot) when Zelda hadn't had a really big game since Skyward Sword.

P.Kay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
plenty.kay
3DS FC
3153-8243-0352
User was warned for this post
Midna honestly seems likely if it's a direct port and they keep the Twilight Princess designs around. Which is likely. Yet that doesn't rule Impa out, who's move set could be made by usin assets of either Cloud or Sheik.
I also believe Impa has a good chance of being in Smash, too. She seems to be very similar to Shiek and as you said, Impa's movesets could have assets from Shiek (I'm not sure about Cloud though).

Probably had something to do with the fact that Kid ICarus had a really recent revival that was very popular (knowing the assets inside and out probably helped a lot) when Zelda hadn't had a really big game since Skyward Sword.
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for that!

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Hyrule Warriors is a spin-off, however. Fact of the matter is, it doesn't help Impa that much. It's clear Sakurai doesn't find it all that important. Remember, it wasn't till Smash 4 he even bothered to give Impa some trophies. That's how important he thought she was. It took forever to get far more importance than a little bit in OOT and some manual stuff.

Meowth is a pretty major character in the anime(which does matter to Sakurai). Impa now has gotten enough importance to be on Meowth's level of note now. Don't forget that Meowth is in spin-offs of Pokemon games too, while Impa is only in one of more than one spin-off(HW). I may be giving her a little bit too much credit, to be honest.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I would settle for a Zelda fighting game (Hyrule Warriors doesn't count) if we aren't getting any Zelda newcomers.

There are dozens of characters that would be interesting in a Zelda fighting game.

P.Kay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
plenty.kay
3DS FC
3153-8243-0352
Hyrule Warriors is a spin-off, however. Fact of the matter is, it doesn't help Impa that much. It's clear Sakurai doesn't find it all that important. Remember, it wasn't till Smash 4 he even bothered to give Impa some trophies. That's how important he thought she was. It took forever to get far more importance than a little bit in OOT and some manual stuff.

Meowth is a pretty major character in the anime(which does matter to Sakurai). Impa now has gotten enough importance to be on Meowth's level of note now. Don't forget that Meowth is in spin-offs of Pokemon games too, while Impa is only in one of more than one spin-off(HW). I may be giving her a little bit too much credit, to be honest.
What you said about Meowth makes sense. He is a very major character.

He already has his own assist trophy, too.
I like Meowth and I would enjoy having him in Smash.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I would settle for a Zelda fighting game (Hyrule Warriors doesn't count) if we aren't getting any Zelda newcomers.

There are dozens of characters that would be interesting in a Zelda fighting game.
As would I. Playing as a Darknut, baby~

At the very least it could give interesting movesets and possibly more ideas for fighting capabilities in a 2D design. Could help influence stuff.

What you said about Meowth makes sense. He is a very major character.

He already has his own assist trophy, too.
I like Meowth and I would enjoy having him in Smash.
Same. He's honestly my only real Gen 1 pic I'd like among newcomers. Not that others don't have merits, of course.

P.Kay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
plenty.kay
3DS FC
3153-8243-0352
Would Tingle be good for Smash? I have mixed feelings about it.

I would enjoy seeing him in the game, though. He is a very fun character.

Personally I would love him. Not my favorite zelda character, but definitely one of the more interesting ones. Having his own games is pretty cool too.

I imagine his lack of popularity or being anything more than spinoff/side-character fodder hurts his chances, but to be fair a lot of characters from zelda have that issue.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Well, if you have played Hyrule Warriors you would have gotten some idea how Tingle might be like if he is playable in Smash.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Personally I would love him. Not my favorite zelda character, but definitely one of the more interesting ones. Having his own games is pretty cool too.

I imagine his lack of popularity or being anything more than spinoff/side-character fodder hurts his chances, but to be fair a lot of characters from zelda have that issue.
At one point it was clearly he was hated in the US region by a majority of players. This is why his games never hit the US.

This is a pretty understandable reason for Sakurai not to make him playable, to avoid controversy of that caliber. That said, a lot likely has changed, since his appearance in HW has actually been praised more or less. This means that the hatred is unlikely to be as relevant now. I think he might stay an AT, but only if the US never gets the Tingle games. Also, to be fair, the Tingle games does have issues due to their content(not just gambling, but other adult references, like one where a character is clearly doing something inappropriate for Tingle as part of the ending in one of his games). This type of stuff is harder to bring to the US. I mean, might work as an M for Mature game, but would that go well with the Zelda fanbase? He's still controversial as a character, after all.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
As long as it's not Wind Waker Tingle I'd accept him with open arms. He's among the few remaining recurring Zelda characters alongside Ganon and Impa, and he does have multiple games under his belt. Completely unrelated spin-offs sure, but what other Zelda character has gotten their own games? The Zelda CD-i game notwithstanding of course. And I suppose there's the BS games if you really wanted to count the avatar characters.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I wanted Tingle in Hyrule Warriors because I wanted people's eyes to be opened and see that potential Tingle's supporters see in him. That's also why I wanted Meowth in Pokken... so to open people's eyes and see that potential I see in him.

It can be tough to get supporters for your favorite characters when those characters don't dance in their minds.

I spent 12 years trying to get supporters for Duck Hunt Dog. I had to use MS Paint to make that moveset I posted in my Duck Hunt Dog for SSB4 support thread. The thread saw little to no activity until that ESRB leak forced people to open their eyes and consider the potential I saw in Duck Hunt Dog a long time ago.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
All four of the Zelda Assists would actually make interesting characters IMO. Ghirahim as a melee-based lock-on swordsman, Midna as a lightweight grappler with an extensive range, Tingle as an unorthodox aerial fighter with a variety of wacky options, and Skull Kid as a puppeteer-type glass cannon with large AoE attacks.

That's not to mention other characters, like Tetra, who I've wanted as a rushdown fighter with a pistol for "gun-fu" attacks that rack damage, and her cutlass for KOing, plus pressure options like bomb flowers and the grappling hook.

I honestly could go on and on about Zelda characters for Smash. There's a lot of great options, but none of them appear more than once or twice. And if they do (Impa / Tingle), they are either unpopular or are inconsistent in their appearances, making it difficult to create a cohesive kit.

Luminario

Smash Lord
I wouldn't say Tingle is above Midna or Impa in terms of popularity, and he just creeps me out in general. Can we get Beedle instead as the weird Zelda rep?
Can anyone fill me in on what Tingle would actually do that would set him apart from the rest of the roster? I'm getting no inspiration from Hyrule Warriors or his games that would make him unique, apart from maybe bombs on balloons or some Rupee gimmick.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yes, Impa, Tingle, Tetra, etc may have unique movesets, but would anyone outside of a specific fanbase really care for them?

No, they wouldn't. None of those characters have appeared in a new game since Twilight Princess, which came over over a decade ago. Those games are more footnotes in the series and of video games in that year.

Their time has passed with the release of the hugely massively popular games that transcend the era they came out in like what Breath of the Wild has become.

The focus on Zelda seems to be squarely on Breath of the Wild going forward. Like I said, that's the first Zelda game that captured the eyes of mass video game enthusiast audiences since Ocarina of Time.

\\

As for Impa... she was shown as the traditional older sage role, not as a fighter (like in Ocarina of Time). So while I won't totally rule Impa out for the time being in Smash 5, I don't see how she's much of a candidate going forward. Hyrule Warriors I think barely keeps her in the conversation, maybe as a late add-on Sheik clone.

\\

I think the real question is what is up with Link and Zelda going forward. Link in Smash 4 is probably the best designed Link in any Smash game (sans maybe the Link in the Japanese version of Smash 64), and certainly the one with the largest toolkit. Zelda remains just as terribly designed and terribly weak as ever.

If Zelda got a total reboot with her moveset in Smash 5 based upon her Breath of the Wild appearance, most would be pleased.

Lastly going back to Link, I wouldn't mind Breath of the Wild Link being added as a newcomer per say. I think there's tons of material from that game in regards to his kit that you could easily transfer over to Smash. My only question when that is done in this hypothetical situation is what do you brand him as? Young Link? Teen Link? Wild Link?

Given that we got "Toon Link" as Wind Waker's Link's name (which I think has aged well in regards to a name), I would not rule out any such name in such a scenario.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm not surprised Zelda didn't get a newcomer in Smash 4. Even the big series don't always expand. Mario in Brawl comes to mind. It shrunk. I would be surprised, however, if it didn't get a newcomer in the next proper Smash. Not only because it didn't this time, but because the series has captured the zeitgeist again with BotW, the effects of which will linger.

I just hope we don't get yet another version of Link or Zelda or Ganon. It's time for an actual new character. And most of Zelda's b-tier is pretty interesting, so I'd be content with any number of them.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yeah I don't think we will be seeing any "retro" Zelda characters come back anytime soon. Because at this point, Tingle is practically that.

I feel old, because I remember seeing him for the first time in 2000 lmao, and that feels like yesterday.

If I was to ask for one character though, it would be Ganon. Pig form like the 2D games, Beast form like the 3D games, doesn't matter. I just want it.

I don't think Calamity Ganon would work for obvious reasons.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I honestly want Ganon (SNES style) in Smash. Of all versions of Ganon, that specific design of Ganon is the most recurring. That Ganon was in:
  1. The Legend of Zelda
  2. The Adventure of Link
  3. A Link to the Past
  4. Link's Awakening
  5. Oracle of Seasons
  6. Oracle of Ages
  7. Four Swords Adventures
  8. A Link Between Worlds
That Ganon is more feasible than the Ganon from Ocarina of Time, the Ganon from The Wind Waker, the Ganon from Twilight Princess, and especially the Ganon from Breath of the Wild. That Ganon appears to have a similar body build like Bowser so that's why I feel that Ganon is the most realizable.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Beast Ganon would be the next best re-occurring main Zelda character that's consistent. It also follows the pattern of having a second incarnation of Link and Zelda with Toon Link and Sheik.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Honestly the character I now see as one of the most reoccurring in the modern series is Beedle.

BotW had Link, Zelda, Old Impa, Great Deku, Beedle and another form of Ganon.

Potentially 'the King of Hyrule' but it's a stretch.

Zelda is a hard series to rep because so many characters are one shots.

Then again, FE is essentially all one shots sooooo...

Also Guardian 4 AT.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I honestly want Ganon (SNES style) in Smash. Of all versions of Ganon, that specific design of Ganon is the most recurring. That Ganon was in:
  1. The Legend of Zelda
  2. The Adventure of Link
  3. A Link to the Past
  4. Link's Awakening
  5. Oracle of Seasons
  6. Oracle of Ages
  7. Four Swords Adventures
  8. A Link Between Worlds
That Ganon is more feasible than the Ganon from Ocarina of Time, the Ganon from The Wind Waker, the Ganon from Twilight Princess, and especially the Ganon from Breath of the Wild. That Ganon appears to have a similar body build like Bowser so that's why I feel that Ganon is the most realizable.
I completely agree on the Ganon choice of being the 2D Pig Ganon. However, I would not be against Ganon being more like 3D Beast Ganon but having a lot of 2D Pig Ganon's moves and kit.

I think a hybrid of sorts may be the best solution. Since there's a lot you can take from both, why not just take the Best of Both Worlds? That way everyone gets the best version of Ganon possible.

Lastly, I will throw in another tidbit I would like. I would like Phantom Ganons to somehow be a part of the kit if we ever got Ganon (separate from Ganondorf) as a character. It would be so sick to summon them.
Beast Ganon would be the next best re-occurring main Zelda character that's consistent. It also follows the pattern of having a second incarnation of Link and Zelda with Toon Link and Sheik.
Seeing as how those 3 characters are basically the only characters that matter in more than a handful of games (sans Impa as more of a Tier-B main character and the King of Hyrule gradually coming into a similar role), agreed.

The Triforce Trio is always front and center with this series (others maybe are for 1 game), and it has been that way for over 30 years.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Also Guardian 4 AT.
Maybe... or it could be a stage boss in a Breath of the Wild stage. Maybe the stage could be a new side scrolling stage like Mushroomy Kingdom except it is in Hyrule Field... and the stage scrolling would give you a feeling that the Guardian is chasing the fighters across Hyrule Field.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom