• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
If I may interject, Lucas was added in Brawl's roster while MOTHER 3 was under development, and Sakurai wouldn't have an idea about the game's future as a Japan-only title. I feel that's what ultimately put Lucas on the cutting block for Smash 4 (arguably same with Roy in Melee, though he did have data in the works), but was brought back as DLC due to fan demand.
Sakurai even stated that had he known Mother 3 wouldn't end up having an international release Lucas wouldn't have been playable.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I think a lot of secondary Mario characters problem is Miyamoto.

He oversees a lot of the Mario games and often doesn't get why you need anyone beyond Mario, Peach, Luigi, Bowser, and sometimes Toad it seems.

He does seem to enjoy Bowser Jr.

Everyone else is kinda a ''GOOD LUCK." situation.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Well, see....

My general belief is that any Smash character should be an all-encompassing version of that character. Like...Mario uses Fireballs, Super Cape, AND FLUDD, right?

Impa could be like that, utilizing weapons and fighting styles from Hyrule Warriors, sure, but also perhaps some of the magic abilities she shows in Skyward Sword, or special moves and attacks based on the various ninja enemies of Breath of the Wild.

That's one of my defenses for Captain Toad; he doesn't HAVE to be relegated to the "jumpless" Captain Toad. He can have the abilities of BOTH Captain Toad and the regular, everyday platforming Toad.
I feel that since Captain Toad has his own game Sakurai will want to have his moveset encompas that game, and I think there is enough you can pull from that game that you don't have to pull stuff from regular Toad.
Tingle... but we can't have nice things... so... Impa.
I agree.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Anyone who wants F.L.U.D.D. cut from Mario's moveset is immediately added to my hit list.
Did you play Mario in both SSB64 and in Melee? He was my Melee main, so yeah I'm not a big fan of the F.L.U.D.D. And to use it "properly" is pretty difficult. Even in high level play, it's rarely used and only used to get really cheesy kills. If not removed, it needs to be revamped.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691

He oversees a lot of the Mario games and often doesn't get why you need anyone beyond Mario, Peach, Luigi, Bowser, and sometimes Toad it seems.

He does seem to enjoy Bowser Jr.

Everyone else is kinda a ''GOOD LUCK." situation.
It's because Miyamoto is terrible nowadays lol. He kills stories, character development, pretty much Paper Mario.

Honestly, I'm thinking Captain Toad is the most likely Mario newcomer. Paper Mario has an outside chance, but they have done him so dirty, I don't want this new iteration of Paper Mario in my smash game.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Sometimes Toad? The last two Paper Mario games are basically Toad with Mario making a guest appearance.

But seriously, Rosalina getting in Smash was a tiny miracle. Miyamoto wasn't originally on board with Rosalina being a new character in Galaxy, and even when he finally opened up to the idea in late development, he wanted her to be a relative of Peach. Something tells me Rosalina wouldn't be nearly as popular if they went with her original "Peach" design.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Enough about Lame-o-mon, let's change subjects ;) (Just kidding, Pokemon isn't lame I just don't know anything about it so the whole conversation is over my head).

Let's pit possible fighter inclusions against each other, and see who you think would end up being included:

Machrider vs Track Meet char

Simon Belmont vs Bomber Man

Rex VS Camille (The girl from FE, not sure how you spell her name)

(one of the) BOTW Champions vs Impa

Waluigi vs Ridley
1. Mach Rider for sure. Track meet is very obscure.
2. Simon. I for one believe the leak because I want to.
3. Definitely Rex. There's absolutely no chance of Camilla in this game and that's coming from someone who really likes her.
4. I think Impa. I've learned not to hope for one shot Zelda characters.
5. Ridley. Huge fan demand, more relavent than ever, and could be included to promote prime 4.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I think F.L.U.D.D is one of the most interesting moves in Smash Bros and allows some great kills (mainly in doubles) and edgeguards. Can also be used to force the opponent to give you a bit of stage control.

I would rather Pauline and C.Toad than Waluigi/Daisy.
Both of them are just the "filler" guys to me, don't care at all.

About Zelda newcomers, I think we will eventually get one.
Not a single new character since Melee, considering Toon Link a evolved Young Link.
Personally I think the Smash roster of Zelda is perfect as it is now and would rather have Tetra and Toon Ganon than any other character. While I like Ghirahim a lot, I can't defend him as a playable character this time around.
Tingle is indeed a good idea and I think his chances are one of the highest to the franchise.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
So we did Pokemon, Daisy, Mario newcomer, Zelda discussion in less than 3 page...

I think we just beat the world record of our usual circle Smash discussion...

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
There's an astute comparison out there between Miyamoto and George Lucas; being treated like a god because of something you did 30 years ago, so everyone takes your horrific ideas like it's sent from above (*cough* Jar Jar *cough* New Super Mario series).

It's why I don't want this new Paper Mario anywhere near Smash. It won't be the real character that everyone wants in the game.

As for Zelda, I'm partial towards Midna, but I'd also like to see Skull Kid, Ganon, and Impa.

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
I HAVE A QUESTION!!

Does third party have a second representative in Smash Bros?

Does Fire Emblem is considered a third party?

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
So we did Pokemon, Daisy, Mario newcomer, Zelda discussion in less than 3 page...

I think we just beat the world record of our usual circle Smash discussion...
We didn't get the Elma vs Rex debate in there. Or how Lara Croft isn't iconic.

We failed, fam.

Polan

Smash Lord
There's an astute comparison out there between Miyamoto and George Lucas; being treated like a god because of something you did 30 years ago, so everyone takes your horrific ideas like it's sent from above (*cough* Jar Jar *cough* New Super Mario series).

It's why I don't want this new Paper Mario anywhere near Smash. It won't be the real character that everyone wants in the game.

As for Zelda, I'm partial towards Midna, but I'd also like to see Skull Kid, Ganon, and Impa.
NSMB isn't bad, lay off the salt. And wishing for a character to not get in just because you don't like Miyamoto is childish. Yes, the newest PM games aren't great but Paper Mario still has some pretty cool abilities in those games that would make for a fun moveset.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Just put in Mach Rider with interlocking armor that can form a motorcycle.

Her arms would have armor and a tire each that snaps together to form the front of the bike. She holds a gun strapped with chains that hooks up onto her back when she becomes a vehicle.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Miyamoto and Lucas are nothing compared to how fast J.K. Rowling quickly went from ''I worship everything you say" to

''Would you please stop talking?"

That woman legit just says things now to say them I believe.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Impa is the only Zelda rep I can think of (as I would prefer the champions to be apart of either Link’s or preferably Zelda’s moveset (either way they both need to have a moveset that’s mostly based on BOTW)

Yeah suppose another issue I have with pauline is that I want captain toad and waluigi before her. It'd also feel like a really low blow to daisy fans to add her if daisy isnt at least like an alph style peach alt or something this time.
Daisy has been low blowed so many times over the course of her lifespan that it doesn’t really matter anymore (her biggest blow of lowness came from Rosalina hitting her with the 1-2 Switch Punch by joining Smash and being playable in 3D World). She feels nothing now.
:rosalina:...":4peach:" design.
tbh she looks more British/English than similar to Peach (a basic b**ch who drinks Starbucks and got a big powerful booty...as Omni claimed her to be in Smash atleast), but gladly she looks like someone who’s a mother and a person who used to seem lonely into a happy fun loving *SOUL CRUSHING, SUPER SMASHING* human from space.

Fire Emblem is a Nintendo series, so no they are not considered a 3rd party
It's why I don't want this new Paper Mario anywhere near Smash. It won't be the real character that everyone wants in the game. For Zelda, I need some Impa.
1. Sakurai though
2. Impa would be great for Smash, the others maybe
3. As a :4pit: person and a fan of Death Battle, I cant stand looking at that picture of Sora (like he's taunting me or something)

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
If BotW Link is not a new character than I would want either Tingle, Beedle or Kilton.

Crazy Hylian whacko's are mainstays in the Zelda franchise.

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
But did Third Party (games) have second representative in Smash Bros?

And Also, adding Paper Mario in Smash Bros is like adding Toon Link.

osby

Smash Obsessed

PAC-MAN, Sonic and Mega Man all have one assist trophy. Snake also used to have one. I don't think a guest franchise will have a second newcomer.

And no, Toon Link have equal amount of dimensions with Link.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
No. But some company have two representative. Sega have Sonic and Bayonetta (even if Nintendo is Bayo's life support), Capcom technically have Megaman and Ryu (But Ryu is Capcom U.S.A, but still capcom in my book)

What the **** am I even reading?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Not a specific game series, but Sega and Capcom have two series represented in Smash (:4sonic::4bayonetta:/:4bayonetta2: for Sega and :4megaman::4ryu: for Capcom)...so close enough I guess

How about we meet in the middle and say Paper Mario should be based off of Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam.
Never played it, but agreed I suppose

NSMB isn't bad, lay off the salt.
Someone who doesn’t hate the NSMB series...cool

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Tingle... but we can't have nice things... so... Impa.
There's something... Just so wrong about Tingle. I'm sorry but he is just the worst. And for some reason he is portrayed as innocent and yet he enslaved his brothers... Everything about the way he talks, the way he moves, the way he acts, the way he looks... Tingle is just terrible.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
NSMB isn't bad, lay off the salt. And wishing for a character to not get in just because you don't like Miyamoto is childish. Yes, the newest PM games aren't great but Paper Mario still has some pretty cool abilities in those games that would make for a fun moveset.
The series stagnated, you can't deny that. I loved the Wii and DS game. And then it just stuck in the same exact place the next few entries in the series. And I don't want Paper Mario in because his new games are trash, not because I don't like Miyamoto. Miyamoto just happened to contribute in making me hate the series now.

I'm not being salty nor childish, booboo. I'm giving an opinion: Miyamoto's design philosophy has roughly stayed the same throughout the last 30 years. We've advanced in hardware capability. The man was great in starting franchises and getting us to where we are, but he's out of touch.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
There's something... Just so wrong about Tingle. I'm sorry but he is just the worst. And for some reason he is portrayed as innocent and yet he enslaved his brothers... Everything about the way he talks, the way he acts, the way he looks... Tingle is just terrible.
Does that make him some sort of villain or just a weird man (I’ve never finished any Zelda game other than BOTW, so I’m not sure whether or not he’s bad...cause that sounds bad)

Antimatter042

Smash Apprentice
Do you think that effects his chances in Smash V?
I don't think it really does. It would appear that the main reason Sakurai doesn't like doing this is because he doesn't want to add content that some of his audience can't appreciate because of region. Lucas has his veteran status and had the sufficent global outcry from fans to get into Smash 4, and I think at this point Sakurai likely understands that the character has the global appreciation he was afraid of them lacking.

ThatGuyWhoKnowsNothing

Smash Apprentice
I had a thunk
There might not be any third party games that don't have a second rep, but Sega published Bayonetta and created Sonic, so it isn't unrealistic we won't get two or more fighters from a 3rd party franchise. My hope is Tails, the Luigi to Sonic's Mario, despite him being a third Sega character

whoops, started typing this a bit ago and missed some posts

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Does that make him some sort of villain or just a weird man (I’ve never finished any Zelda game other than BOTW, so I’m not sure whether or not he’s bad...cause that sounds bad)
Both I guess? It's hard to portray a literal slavemaster as good and innocent. Honestly the whole situation is just wierd and I don't like it. He's not portrayed as a villain in Zelda if that's what you're asking.

lltacx

Smash Journeyman
Why do you guys 100% think they’ll add a Pokemon from sun and moon? Maybe they’ll skip a gen like “gen 2” and gen 3 (obv answer is timing). And with the new game coming who knows who Sakurai may add. I’d like Decidueye but i don’t see any basis for him to be added and Mimikyu is alright but i feel like he’s more of a Pokéball Pokemon. That is not to say that i wouldn’t want either of them.. i’d embrace them both :love:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Both I guess? It's hard to portray a literal slavemaster as good and innocent. Honestly the whole situation is just wierd and I don't like it. He's not portrayed as a villain in Zelda if that's what you're asking.
Guess it fits such a weird character

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I HAVE A QUESTION!!

Does third party have a second representative in Smash Bros?

You should try to improve your english a bit, mate.

For the first question, if I understand it correctly, you can just Google the roster and see it yourself.
No third party franchise has more than one character at the moment, but third party companies can have more than one character. Example, Sega has Sonic and Bayonetta and Capcom has Mega Man and Ryu.

For the second question... seriously?
It's not third party.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Miyamoto and Lucas are nothing compared to how fast J.K. Rowling quickly went from ''I worship everything you say" to

''Would you please stop talking?"

That woman legit just says things now to say them I believe.
Mario was actually in every single book in the series. It just wasn't mentioned because it wasn't relevant to Harry's story.

As for Tingle, he always bugged me as a potential newcomer. I don't know what it is, but I can't really get behind it. But I suppose he, besides Impa, is one of the more recurring Zelda characters, so I would understand why he would be added.

Last edited:

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
Do you think that Sakurai would allow second representative from the same third-party franchise?

Perhaps in the Smash Bros for Switch they add 7th generation Pokemons and...

How many pokemons had added in each Smash Bros games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom