• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
You can never objectively overrepresent Pokemon or Mario. And I doubt Sakurai cares about Gen balancing.

With such a short gap between late Wii U and early Switch, do you think this installment of Super Smash Bros will have a larger focus on OLDER history?
Probably, though most likely specifically the Wii U/3DS era with some focus on stuff earlier than that, similar to how Melee had a large focus on the N64 era and stuff earlier than that.

Not exactly sure if Emily Roger is the most reliable source, considering:
She seems to be able to get pretty accurate information in terms of Nintendo hardware, likely from a Ubisoft-based source, considering she leaked Mario + Rabbids as well.
However, in terms of software, she has nowhere near a good track record. Smash Bros. isn't hardware, so take this with a truckload of salt, at the absolute least.

Hell, even in the case she did have a good track record, the statement of "Nintendo wants Switch's Smash Bros. to be the "Ultimate Smash Bros." game is such an incredibly safe and vague thing to predict. Like, does Nintendo want Smash 5 to be bad or something? Of course they want the latest game in their series to be the best one yet.
This is why what Emily Roger predicts won't matter to me.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Joe from Serebii is backing her up lol.
Aaaaaand this just got a million times more credible. Joe's a good egg with an even gooder better track record, and a huge Pokémon community figurehead.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
But doesn't Joe think that Pokémon won't be out for 2018 but for 2019?
If Nintendo's E3 is only for 2018 games, then Pokémon being announced this month would make sense-
But then, wouldn't it break that old leak about the showfloor being half Smash- half Pokémon?

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
It's not that I'm entirely against another Gen I Pokemon. I just don't want to see one steal away the only planned spot from a newer Pokemon who comes from a newer Gen.

If we were to get Eevee in addition to a Gen VII Pokemon, I'd be content. Granted, I still wouldn't care much about Eevee's inclusion, but at least the current Gen would still get a rep.
But this is under the assumption there's only one Pokemon getting in this Smash game. Not to mention, it can't steal a spot another Pokemon was never guaranteed to have in the first place. I get your point though, and I completely understand.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
But this is under the assumption there's only one Pokemon getting in this Smash game. Not to mention, it can't steal a spot another Pokemon was never guaranteed to have in the first place. I get your point though, and I completely understand.
To be fair, Smash 4 got literally 1 Pokemon newcomer and just a vet as DLC only, while cutting 2 Pokemon. Brawl also cut 2 Pokemon, and gave us 4 in its place.

We don't know what's going to happen. It's possible we get 1 newcomer. No plans are clear to us as there's nothing consistent to go off of to guess. IMO, I think 2 at the least are guaranteed, possibly just 1 base, being Gen VII, and DLC for the other. Assuming no cuts from Smash 4, of course.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I don't think generation representation matters to Sakurai at all, especially not when it comes to Gen 1 which is not only the most iconic and popular generation, but according to the current rumor it also looks like it'll be extremely relevant going forward.

With us revisiting Kanto I'd even be wary of the possiblity that we're not getting a new generation of Pokémon, as preposterous as it'll sound to some it might just be the case that we're only going to get a handful of new ones that will primarily be used for promotional purposes, and they'll instead rely on the old ones and new forms for them instead. Having reached over 800 Pokémon in Gen 7 I would even go as far as say it'd be a logical move to significantly tone down the amount of new Pokémon we get, they already did that once with Gen 6, so it's a definite concern.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Absolutely incorrect. You're taking things at face-value (poorly at that).

Roy's unique close-ranged sword mechanic is the complete reverse of Marth's tipper mechanic. In melee this wasn't enough for him to be any more than a basic Marth Clone.

In 4 they overhauled him but I'll get to that after I'm done countering each of those moves he "copied" from Marth.
Down-tilt I can't disagree with. Its basically the same except for the opposite "tipper" effect.

Up-Smash is wrong. Roy's upsmash is a multihit attack and lacks the hitbox Marth has that pulls the opponent from the ground into it. This isn't even taking into consideration the reverse tippers. The moves are fundamentally different...they just look like.

Down-Smash is basically the same. Pretty sure Marth's is faster but don't feel like looking up the frame data to be certain. Reverse tipper still applies. Ike's downsmash is not the same as either of theirs.

Neutral Aerial is another case of "it looks alike" but isn't the same. Marth's is a quick attack meant to keep opponents out primarily and the second hit doesn't (or rarely) combos into anything. Roy's Nair is his best combo tool both the first and second hits. Not the same.

Forward Aerial doesn't even look the same. Do you think Corrin's and Ike's Fair a clone of Marth's too?

Roy's back air jablocks. Marth's does not. Also potentially framedata differences. Opposite tippers.

Up Aerial isn't the same just similar. I'm repeating too much so skip~

Their only common throw is upthrow. All the others work fundamentally differently. Marth has no combo throw. Roy can combo out of forward throw and rarely down throw. Just because they look alike does not mean they are the same.

Grounded Side-B I can see an argument for even if the tippers make the move function differently (Roy's is worse). Aerial Side-B no. Marth's helps him rise in the air which has several uses. Roy continues to fall and the angle is different.

The counters work differently even if they are counters. Roy's counter is much easier to kill off of because of his much larger "tipper."
What really sets apart Roy and Marth is how their respective kits come together, not every individaul move in a vaccuum. Roy supports a much more aggressive style that puts him constantly in the opponents face. Marth wants to be an arm's reach away from the opponent at all times.

One is a Zoner. One plays more like Captain Falcon with a sword. Just because they look similar does not mean they are the same.

Roy is just as different from Marth as Falco to Fox, Lucas to Ness, and Luigi is to Mario. If they aren't straight up clones in 4 then neither is Roy.

Edit: Man I thoroughly butchered this formatting.

EDIT: FIXED. HATE FORMATTING. HATE IT ALOT.
Being a clone isn't about gameplay differences as much as it is about sharing identical attack animations (though I screwed up on the forward aerial). Ganondorf and Falcon always played vastly differently but that doesn't mean that Ganondorf wasn't a straight-up clone in Melee. Smash 4 Roy is more of a semi-clone. I am aware of the gameplay differences.

As for Lucas, he shares only a few attack animations with Ness, so he's not even close to being a clone.

Remember the complaints about Sonic lacking moveset potential?
People said that? Did these people not realize that Sonic the Fighters and Sonic Battle alone invalidated that argument?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I don't think generation representation matters to Sakurai at all, especially not when it comes to Gen 1 which is not only the most iconic and popular generation, but according to the current rumor it also looks like it'll be extremely relevant going forward.

With us revisiting Kanto I'd even be wary of the possiblity that we're not getting a new generation of Pokémon, as preposterous as it'll sound to some it might just be the case that we're only going to get a handful of new ones that will primarily be used for promotional purposes, and they'll instead rely on the old ones and new forms for them instead. Having reached over 800 Pokémon in Gen 7 I would even go as far as say it'd be a logical move to significantly tone down the amount of new Pokémon we get, they already did that once with Gen 6, so it's a definite concern.
Gen 1 only got characters while it was relevant anyway. As in remakes or the first time around. Gen 1 and Gen 2 were effectively meant to be the same game, hence Mewtwo coming in, but he's technically the exception, as he was attempted to be put in 64 first. And every game since, some succeeding more than others.

Charizard is a veteran, but Pokemon Trainer did not get added outside of when the Kanto remakes are present. It's very clear he's not going to add any Pokemon unless they're currently relevant. Gen 1 or otherwise. We're probably getting a Gen VII and maybe a Gen VIII or another Gen I.

We don't know if he considers what Gen they are from important at all, but we have seen he rarely has cut anyone outside of Gen 1, oddly enough. It probably doesn't mean anything. We know he cares about representations in general, though Gen 1 is probably not a case where he cares as much.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
My issue with Eevee is that it's a Gen I Pokémon that isn't Marowak, Snorlax, or Venusaur. :p
Can you imagine either of those latter two receiving Fox's down throw? With you on Marowak though.

However, everyone's sleeping on the real hidden meta:
:028:

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Told ya'll 8th gen was coming;)

It would make sense if a new form of Eevee (A fighting type biped) made it to smash.

Honestly though based on all the promotional stuff along side an eight gen starter or Eevee, Mimikyu is the most likely 7th gen rep if 7th gets in at all.

Decidueye has not had that big of a push overall compared to Mimikyu.

Also the more I think about it Eevee if not a starter itself could have a much larger push than any other potential starter in the series. If eight gen even has starters in the traditional way and isn't just like yellow version that is.

Gorochu might also become a thing now if this is all true seeing as how news of its existence has come out as of late.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
even if the emily leak is inconclusive we can still have fun with it.
who would be everyone's "jump out of your chair" character?
mine:
1. wolf link midna
2. baltr
3. lyn
4. sepiroth

throw my chair character
goku

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Told ya'll 8th gen was coming;)

It would make sense if a new form of Eevee (A fighting type biped) made it to smash.

Honestly though based on all the promotional stuff along side an eight gen starter or Eevee, Mimikyu is the most likely 7th gen rep if 7th gets in at all.

Also the more I think about it Eevee if not a starter itself could have a much larger push than any other potential starter in the series. If eight gen even has starters in the traditional way and isn't just like yellow version that is.

Gorochu might also become a thing now if this is all true seeing as how news of its existence has come out as of late.
If this is real our "8th Gen Starters" are Pikachu and Eevee. The rumor is about another Kanto game, not a new region.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
The problem with "Jump out of your chair" newcomers is that it's almost completely subjective. While there's some big names that are fantastic to see, not everyone is going to be "hyped" for said character.

Megaman was like that for me. I think he's really cool to see in Smash, but I don't really care for the series.

Anyway, I'd jump out of my chair if Paper Mario or King K. Rool were to be revealed. I don't see Paper Mario being an E3 reveal though, but I think his chances are looking good this time around. Honorable mentions go to Bandana Dee, Skull Kid, Ridley, and the return of Squirtle and Ivysaur.

Outside of that, everything else is just a pipe-dream that wont ever happen. I'd play the tar out of Goku, Ken Masters, or Master Chief or... Yeah, you get the point.

Edit: My first statement is kind of beating a dead horse with a stick by now, sorry.

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Smash 4 Roy is more of a semi-clone.
That is what I have been saying the entire time. I never thought I'd argue for an hour with people who agreed with what I was trying to say.

If we get a 7th gen rep I expect Decidueye. Hes too easy and safe to not do. I want Mimikyu badly but I'd say the odds are heavily in the bird's favor.

Last edited:

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Who else is excited for the Third version of Pokémon Switch called “Pokémon Let’s Go! To the Polls”

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
That is what I have been saying the entire time. I never thought I'd argue for an hour with people who agreed with what I was trying to say.
Looks like those are the Japanese names and those kinds of names are rarely translated directly.

(BTW, what's it with the Japanese and RE:? I think it's high time FWD: got it's time in the sun
)

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Lycanroc exists too, ya know. He's gotten a pretty big push as well. Gen VII is more than just Decidueye vs. Mimikyu.

Let's go! Pikachu and Let's go! Eevee are pretty weird names.
Sounds weirder if you say it over and over again.

"Let's Go Peek at You!"

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Which... wasn't the point they're making. A semi-clone is just another type of clone. It's not a big deal anyway. Just reusing animations from a character or two. Roy was not like this in Melee, as he was a pure clone there, and got updated to be a semi-clone in 4.

The point was that Ike was not a clone whatsoever, where Roy was still using many of Marth's animations and moves in 4. He's still partially a clone. You were basically saying a completely unique character was more similar than a partial clone. That's why people took issue with it, because it was inaccurate.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So if this is a new generation/Kanto focus new game, what are the thoughts of what this means for Decidueye, Mimikyu, Lycanroc, Inciniroar, etc in Smash? Still likely?
Yep. Gen VII is very very popular. It's still likely getting a character as is.

We'd have a good chance of getting one more from the Switch game too. Nothing really changed.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
You know what I could get behind a playable Eevee if all of the eeveeloutions were color swaps. Getting to play as all of them (especially Sylveon) would be insane, even crazier than the Koopalings.

I don't see how else they could implement the eeveeloutions in the Moveset, except for a final smash.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So if this is a new generation/Kanto focus new game, what are the thoughts of what this means for Decidueye, Mimikyu, Lycanroc, Inciniroar, etc in Smash? Still likely?
Probably doesn't effect them much. Game Freak wasn't initially sold on making Switch games, so I imagine the safer and more reasonable option for Sakurai was to go ahead with a Gen VII Pokemon instead of waiting around to see what would happen and make a last-minute addition.

If we do get a Pokemon in Smash because of the upcoming Switch game, I think it'll be in addition to the Gen VII Pokemon. I doubt Eevee (or whoever else from the game) will get in at the expense of someone from Gen VII.

Pakky

Smash Hero
If this is real our "8th Gen Starters" are Pikachu and Eevee. The rumor is about another Kanto game, not a new region.
Does that matter?

Lycanroc exists too, ya know. He's gotten a pretty big push as well. Gen VII is more than just Decidueye vs. Mimikyu.
True though I would argue that mimikyu is a little larger and has more staying power.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
Even though the lines of generations in Pokémon become more and more wavering each passing game, wouldn’t a Kanto revisit still technically be Gen 7? Or like 7.5. Anyhow, I still think a Gen 7 Pokémon is likely, maybe even more so now.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Even though the lines of generations in Pokémon become more and more wavering, wouldn’t a Kanto revisit still technically be Gen 7? Or like 7.5. Anyhow, I still think a Gen 7 Pokémon is likely, maybe even more so now.
If the region is completely transformed (and is flooded with water?) with new pokemon then its gen 8.

Last edited:

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Guys, remember the leak on the Nintendo Switch Online announcement? The one with Crash, Spyro, Captain Toad and Ice Climbers for Smash? The leaker nailed the Let's go Pikachu and Eevee rumor.

We'll know if the leaker is for real when they announce Pokemon Switch.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
even if the emily leak is inconclusive we can still have fun with it.
who would be everyone's "jump out of your chair" character?
mine:
1. wolf link midna
2. baltr
3. lyn
4. sepiroth

throw my chair character
goku
1. Captain Toad/Toad(it's been 17 years already, you're damn right I'd be amazed even if he is semi plausible now)

2. Meowth

3. Tails

4. Mickey Mouse(okay this would be the most startling really)

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Why everybody ignores my boy, Bewear?

Would be a cool grappler.

It's popular, cute and appears in the anime a lot.

It even appeared during the Pokemon Switch announcement!

MysticKnives

Smash Ace

Sounds weirder if you say it over and over again.

"Let's Go Peek at You!"
Agreed. Don't even think it's accurate to call it Decidueye vs Mimikyu tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom