• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Alright guys and gals we're getting close. Before any random character reveals what do you think will be the next 4 characters revealed and why?

1 Inklings - Confirmed
2 Rayman - Hes going to be the big 3rd party reveal
3 Paper Mario - The new IPs generally come at the front. My Third new IP is from Rythem Heaven which I believe will be revealed closer to the end.
4 Dixie Kong - She seems like the best on my list of "Series Expanding" characters to show off with her game's re-release.
5 Isaac - He will be the retro character this game. the retro character has consistently been one of the first reveals.

What're your bets?
Okay, let me try.

1. Inklings - I can see another cinematic trailer with them in it.
2. (Third Party) - Sorry for being vague. I can't really think of any third party that feel could get in. But I feel as if a third party is a given.
3. Rex/Pyra - I feel as if a Xenoblade rep is a given. If the MOH leak is true with there being a monado statue in the E3 congress, then I believe we will get a newcomer from Xenoblade. I think Rex/Pyra will be revealed first though before Elma.
4. Spring Man - Although one could say that ARMS is a new IP. Seeing how ARMS did sell well and how unique Spring Man can be, I think Sakurai could've decided to add him to the roster later on.
5. Pokemon Rep - I'm not sure who it could be. There are alot of options. But I think it's either Decidueye or Lycanroc.

I like it! I've been working on one myself:

Looks very clean and well organized. I really like how the Group button and Online button look together, it looks cool.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
They’re going to do Ridley at E3 after pranking everyone into thinking it’s a Metroid Prime 4 trailer.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151

Wow, that is insanely pretty and surprisingly effective for a Brawl/Smash 4 style menu. There's a good sense of style there, especially with the silhouettes. I also like the small touch you added with your custom logo. :p

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Alright guys and gals we're getting close. Before any random character reveals what do you think will be the next 4 characters revealed and why?

What're your bets?
1 & 2: King K. Rool tricks everyone by showing up in Dixie drag.
The real Dixie attacks him.

3: Decidueye trailer

4: Geno Trailer

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I do think Ridley will be in Smash.

I wonder if his reveal is worth holding until closer to the release date.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Top four characters to get revealed?

Besides Inkling,

1. Captain Toad: Not exactly under-whelming but a nice balance between moderate or explosive hype. He can be the opening act to ease watchers into what is in store for the reveal trailer. Piggybacks from the Nintendo 3DS Treasure Tracker
2. Labo Robot: The total curve ball that no one expected yet gets tons of attention. The WFT WTF addition. Piggybacks from Nintendo Labo information.
3. Ridley: The explosive hype bringer. Total hype machine. Churning of ****storms internet wide. Bigley detractors explode. Piggybacks from the Metroid sprinter 4 announcement.
4. Rayman + Rabbids: Exciting 3rd party announcements. Not on par with Sonic and Mega Man but still exciting. Piggybacks from potential Rabbids and Mario information.

I wanted to put Spyro and Crash since they potentially have games getting revealed at E3 but I didn’t want to give too much personal credence to leaks that have surfaced.

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace

1 Inklings - Confirmed
3 Paper Mario - The new IPs generally come at the front. My Third new IP is from Rythem Heaven which I believe will be revealed closer to the end.
4 Dixie Kong - She seems like the best on my list of "Series Expanding" characters to show off with her game's re-release.
5 Isaac - He will be the retro character this game. the retro character has consistently been one of the first reveals.

What're your bets?
1. Inklings are confirmed.
2. Isabelle - to mirror Villager’s reveal from E3 years ago. She’s popular, and I think she’d generate a decent amount of hype.
3. Lycanroc/Mimikyu/ or Decidueye. Pokémon Sun and Moon were incredibly successful. I feel like Lycanroc and Mimikyu have a higher chance than Decidueye, but I feel any of them could make it in.
4. SpringMan or RibbonGirl. To promote Arms. Smash will get an ARMS rep, and it’ll be on the base roster. Also, with how unique they’d play, I think Sakurai would see the appeal.
5. Sora. (This is more of a want, but still.) Could you imagine Kingdom Hearts III being announced to be coming to the Nintendo Switch, and at the end of the trailer for that game, they cut to another one of Sora being revealed for Smash. The internet would explode. With love, with hate, with excitement, and confusion. He’d generate so much hype.

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
If I were to choose any Mario character I wanted that included any related series I would first choose the obvious:
Waluigi
Dasiy
Dixie Kong
King K. Rool
Paper Mario
Captain Toad
Pauline
Ashley

Then I would choose some obscure ones!
Plum
Stanley
Mimi
Kamek
Koopa Kid as a new costume for Bowser Jr
Birdo
ShyGuy

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
2. Labo Robot: The total curve ball that no one expected yet gets tons of attention. The WFT WTF addition. Piggybacks from Nintendo Labo information.
Is it really "a total curve ball that no one expected" when it's being pushed by a bunch of people who are desperately trying to come up with a curve ball character without actually trying?

It doesn't take imagination to see the latest Nintendo Product and then suggest that it be a fighter in Super Smash Bros. I just hate when people try to compare awful character ideas to Wii Fit Trainer and then justify it because "people aren't expecting it".

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

1 Inklings - Confirmed

What're your bets?
(Not including Inklings)
Assuming all of these are revealed at E3,

1. Crash Bandicoot because he'd surely drum up extra hype for the E3 event
2. Waluigi because the E3 crowd would probably have a good reaction to it full of plenty of WAA's
3. Joker because y̶o̶u̶'̶l̶l̶ ̶n̶e̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶s̶e̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶i̶n̶g̶ he's a third party who would get a decently prominent reveal, and I think this could happen based on personal bias and things with Atlus/Nintendo that I'm not gonna get into again because I'm sure you've all read it at this point.
4. K. Rool or Ridley will be the final newcomer revealed at E3. We have to get one of these sought-after villains eventually, right?

D

Deleted member

So I'll be honest, I'm still really cynical about it, but because I'm such a nerdy fanboy of the leak trio in question I knocked up a quick pic to celebrate the occasion of our first vaguely interesting leak. Enjoy!

Or don't. I don't care, but I still did a thing.

View attachment 143424
I really like this drawing, it is so professional.
Thanks for drawing this.

Dang, that looks clean!
I like how it fits that "blocky and highlighted theme". It does remind me of the Brawl menu and Smash 4 menu combined.
I love it.

osby

Smash Obsessed

1 Inklings - Confirmed

What're your bets?
I'm not making any predictions but I don't think we'll get multiple third party newcomers or long waiting characters like King K.Rool. Last game capitalized on contemporary Nintendo and I think this game will do roughly same, maybe with a bit more side characters.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'm not making any predictions but I don't think we'll get multiple third party newcomers or long waiting characters like King K.Rool. Last game capitalized on contemporary Nintendo and I think this game will do roughly same, maybe with a bit more side characters.
The fact that people still expect King K. Rool at this point just baffles me. I mean, I can see it happening just to please fans after the ballot, but if it weren't for that, King K. Rool is less likely now than he ever was.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I think the primary argument against that point, for Smash Switch specifically, is that there hasn't been a ton of notable new things since Smash 4. We have Splatoon (confirmed), ARMS, Pokemon gen 7, XBC2, and Captain Toad, but other than that there hasn't really been a ton of good new stuff to actually bring in newcomers for. That's why I think some older characters who are highly requested have a decent shot this time around. Before Smash 4 came out, I would've said K. Rool was very unlikely. I feel somewhat differently for this game

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Is it really "a total curve ball that no one expected" when it's being pushed by a bunch of people who are desperately trying to come up with a curve ball character without actually trying?

It doesn't take imagination to see the latest Nintendo Product and then suggest that it be a fighter in Super Smash Bros. I just hate when people try to compare awful character ideas to Wii Fit Trainer and then justify it because "people aren't expecting it".
I would consider the Labo Robot as a curve-ball character. Probably not as much as the WFT considering she had basically zero support before her reveal but the Robot largely unknown to the larger fan base. It isn’t exactly a buzz-word for Normies and isn’t exactly making the “Top 10 List” videos put out by major gaming sites.

And it’s not that I think it’s inclusion is likely or even practical - I just thought “why the hell not.” It would surprise people and it ties in with Nintendo Labo (which is huge here in Japan).

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I would consider the Labo Robot as a curve-ball character. Probably not as much as the WFT considering she had basically zero support before her reveal but it’s largely unknown to the larger fan base. Not that I think it’s inclusion is likely or even practical - I just thought “why the hell not.”
She had no support because noone considered her as a character but Wii Fit was really huge. It's one of the games that changed the video games' demographic.

Labo is pretty cool but still new and I think a lot of people are just trying to make safe predictions now that we know a "suprise character" is going to get in. Sakurai doesn't add characters just to suprise people but still we are going to get a few curveballs most likely.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
She had no support because noone considered her as a character but Wii Fit was really huge. It's one of the games that changed the video games' demographic.

Labo is pretty cool but still new and I think a lot of people are just trying to make safe predictions now that we know a "suprise character" is going to get in. Sakurai doesn't add characters just to suprise people but still we are going to get a few curveballs most likely.
Honestly, I don’t think we will get the Labo or see representation of it. I was thinking of a curve ball character on my list and decided to throw Labo on it considering the Japanese news was covering it this morning and how kids are making customized versions of it. In fact, we confiscated the Fishing Rod one that a kid brought into class (minus the Switch) a few days ago. He apparently wanted to share it with his friends since he painted it gold.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I don't believe a wtf style character is guaranteed for the game. Yeah, we've gotten one every game since Melee, but we aren't getting one if Sakurai can't think of one he likes. He isn't going to force it. You could argue one is likely based on history, and I respect that. In fact, I agree that one is likely. However I wouldn't say we "know one is coming".

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I don't believe a wtf style character is guaranteed for the game. Yeah, we've gotten one every game since Melee, but we aren't getting one if Sakurai can't think of one he likes. He isn't going to force it. You could argue one is likely based on history, and I respect that. In fact, I agree that one is likely. However I wouldn't say we "know one is coming".
That’s the problem with patterns. We didn’t know we would get 3rd party representation in Smash 4 but Mega Man changed that. Now we are expecting to get 3rd party representation. It’s a given that we will. I think though that getting a character that is largely a wild card is a safe bet but obviously something that can easily be dispelled.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
So Smash E3 is going to have a tournament. Winner should face "Challenger Approaching."

Which turns out to be Ridley.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
That’s the problem with patterns. We didn’t know we would get 3rd party representation in Smash 4 but Mega Man changed that. I think though that getting a character that is largely a wild card is a safe bet but obviously something that can easily be dispelled.
I personally think the game will contain plenty of things nobody saw coming, but I don't think that necessarily means that any of those things will qualify as "wtf" choices. I think the newcomer list for this game will already contain many hard choices for Sakurai considering just how hard of a time we ourselves have of developing a concrete "likely" list of newcomers, and I doubt that he'd strain himself to find something that will be completely out of left field.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

At first glance I thought, "Whats up with that weird shape of the solo button, and why that big empty gap below it???" But then I actually looked at it for a second and saw how cool that little art piece was and now this menu is great and I hope they take an approach similar to this for the actual game. Great wok.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I personally think the game will contain plenty of things nobody saw coming, but I don't think that necessarily means that any of those things will qualify as "wtf" choices. I think the newcomer list for this game will already contain many hard choices for Sakurai considering just how hard of a time we ourselves have of developing a concrete "likely" list of newcomers, and I doubt that he'd strain himself to find something that will be completely out of left field.
Definitely. The new roster should be interesting considering there are very few iconic characters that truly deserve to be in the roster. It could potentially be a mix of retro, new, and characters that missed the boat.

For a while, I’ve been debating internally if this is truly a new game or a port and, over the months, I’ve developed a theory that this could be a hybrid of both. I’ve entertained it here and the Unpopular Opinions thread and, while I don’t endorse my theory, I think it’s something that could potentially happen albeit met with disdain from the community.

Basically, the game is initially released as an enhanced port with Inklings and Splatoon content like a stage, music, items, trophies, etc. The game would also include all the DLC that was released. That’s it. Nothing else. The game is fully playable by E3 and we see some updates to the game until it’s released.

Let’s say the release is for the winter holidays of this year. By March 2019, a new character is announced for the game followed by an announcement that the game will experience periodical updates with new characters, stages, and content that is either unlocked upon update or can be purchased with in-game currency/real money.

Then, every three-four months, a new character is released with new non-character updates per month and this goes on for about three years (2022/23ish) with a graphical update during that time. By the time comes, the game has transitioned from being an enhanced port to a full-fledged game.

I do think this sort of approach would not be welcomed by fans and would receive a fair amount of criticism; especially if you look at SFV which is using a similar strategy. Killer Instinct is similar to this regard but games like Overwatch seems to thrive with this approach. It would give Sakurai and his team to create tons of content with real-time feedback on the game and ability to adjust things over the course of time. Plus, it would keep players busy and hopefully interested during the development time.

Last edited:

MysticKnives

Smash Ace

This time he'll be upgraded to co-final boss with Master Hand and Crazy Hand. A reveal of epic proportions. :troll:

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Definitely. The new roster should be interesting considering there are very few iconic characters that truly deserve to be in the roster. It could potentially be a mix of retro, new, and characters that missed the boat.

For a while, I’ve been debating internally if this is truly a new game or a port and, over the months, I’ve developed a theory that this could be a hybrid of both. I’ve entertained it here and the Unpopular Opinions thread and, while I don’t endorse my theory, I think it’s something that could potentially happen albeit met with disdain from the community.

Basically, the game is initially released as an enhanced port with Inklings and Splatoon content like a stage, music, items, trophies, etc. The game would also include all the DLC that was released. That’s it. Nothing else. The game is fully playable by E3 and we see some updates to the game until it’s released.

Let’s say the release is for the winter holidays of this year. By March 2019, a new character is announced for the game followed by an announcement that the game will experience periodical updates with new characters, stages, and content that is either unlocked upon update or can be purchased with in-game currency/real money.

Then, every three-four months, a new character is released with new non-character updates per month and this goes on for about three years (2022/23ish) with a graphical update during that time. By the time comes, the game has transitioned from being an enhanced port to a full-fledged game.
That was sort of my initial thought about where the game was headed when they announced it, but knowing the development cycle has basically been as long as it was for them to develop both Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U concurrently, I can't personally imagine this being anything less than a Splatoon 2 thing (I'm tired of saying the Splatoon 2 comparison but its the most accurate description so I'm sticking with it). I think the game will feel new, and probably borrow a good number of mechanics/physics from Smash 4 to cut down on development time committed to creating the engine, but is as much a new game as Splatoon 2 was, if not more.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice

I do think this sort of approach would not be welcomed by fans and would receive a fair amount of criticism; especially if you look at SFV which is using a similar strategy. Killer Instinct is similar to this regard but games like Overwatch seems to thrive with this approach. It would give Sakurai and his team to create tons of content with real-time feedback on the game and ability to adjust things over the course of time. Plus, it would keep players busy and hopefully interested during the development time.
This is only slightly different from the model described by MvCI's developers before they ditched it. Asking people to buy something currently lacking with the promise of more in the future has been shown to not work with larger productions (obviously indie games and the like get away with it, but pre-alpha indie games don't sell $300 consoles).
I see no clear reason for a graphics update. There are holdovers from Brawl, but nothing made for Smash 4 should need to be changed except for the coloration because that is, as far as I'm aware, the only graphics advantage that the Switch actually has on the Wii U.
Also, I need to wonder why there would be something so lacking after the game spent so long in development? Sakurai would never sell a product that mostly exists to sell already-made DLC, and if they're already conserving the huge amount of resources implied by this being a port: actually, what have they even been doing all this time?

I say this recognizing that you acknowledged that your theory isn't likely. I would say that the evidence is mostly in the opposite direction though. The game is very probably based on a port that's more obviously close than any previous title, but that's just more reason to believe the devs were able to add more, because they didn't need to do as much to start with. Essentially, I think it seems like it will be the equivalent of a Smash 4 overhaul plus a comparatively expansive DLC.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I find it hard to believe they would do that to a franchise (I feel like I'm using this word wrong someone correct me if I am) that has been essential to selling last gens consoles.

Even if the Switch is doing well without Smash, that would be such a dumb move by Nintendo.

If it does happen I won't buy the game at all. Smash was the only reason I bought a Wii U and is the only reason I haven't traded my Switch for a Playstation 4.

I'm gonna choose to have faith in them until they give me a reason not to.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
So I made this main menu for Switch. What do you think?

For Relaxalax standards.. both of these menus... aren't good...

I do agreed that Melee and Brawl has the best menus in all 4 Smash Bros games.
Smash 4 menu's biggest problem is the menu feels unbalance and the single player mode is in the Games and More section...

BlondeLombax

Smash Master

I'll be honest: I'm a Toobigot, meaning that I can see the arguements made against Ridley in Smash, and therefore am not necessarily on the same boat. So if he does be playable someday...

I will still be hyped anyway, because I couldn't care less who gets in (so long as it's not for the sake of memes). I may think he's too big, but I'm not against his inclusion at all, and would gladly play as him! Keep the dream alive, Space Pirates.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
2 things I predict WON'T happen:
King K Rool makes an appearance
Ridley makes an appearance

Man, if either of those 2 things happen, Smashboards would be Crashboards for days haha. I would love it though, both have had rabid fans clamoring over them for years. But I'll bet chili in a shoe it won't happen. Which is a bummer.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
This is only slightly different from the model described by MvCI's developers before they ditched it. Asking people to buy something currently lacking with the promise of more in the future has been shown to not work with larger productions (obviously indie games and the like get away with it, but pre-alpha indie games don't sell $300 consoles).
I see no clear reason for a graphics update. There are holdovers from Brawl, but nothing made for Smash 4 should need to be changed except for the coloration because that is, as far as I'm aware, the only graphics advantage that the Switch actually has on the Wii U.
Also, I need to wonder why there would be something so lacking after the game spent so long in development? Sakurai would never sell a product that mostly exists to sell already-made DLC, and if they're already conserving the huge amount of resources implied by this being a port: actually, what have they even been doing all this time?

I say this recognizing that you acknowledged that your theory isn't likely. I would say that the evidence is mostly in the opposite direction though. The game is very probably based on a port that's more obviously close than any previous title, but that's just more reason to believe the devs were able to add more, because they didn't need to do as much to start with. Essentially, I think it seems like it will be the equivalent of a Smash 4 overhaul plus a comparatively expansive DLC.
I agree with most of your points and thank you for recognizing my doubts about the theory I have. I was thinking about the development and how it most likely started during or after DLC development for Smash 4 which led me to thinking that this is a port to new game transition. I was led to this theory due to a couple of reasons:
  1. We have a yet-to-be-seen playable game come E3 before actually seeing game footage. Rather unorthodox.
  2. An unorthodox reveal/visible update period after the reveal trailer.
  3. The fact Smash 4 is still popular, relatively still new, and was well-received by fans (unlike Brawl)
  4. A 2018 release date
  5. A continuing trend to port Wii U games to the Switch (that can be coupled with the points made in number 3)
  6. Sakurai’s gaming philosophy and Nintendo’s corporate interests may not always be on the same page. He has had problems such as Kirby in the past irc. Him not resigning shows things are not that dire but who knows.
  7. The fact a large amount of the cast was revealed albeit vaguely. Yet again, unorthodox.
  8. The fact that inklings were revealed along with Splatoon 2 Inklings could point to certain newcomers being released during pivotal release dates within their own games as a way to not only market Smash but also market that game.
  9. It has had a short development time that coincided with the end of Smash 4 development. The time that was spent crafting new content during this time could be released steadily throughout the year as a way to lengthen the games life and to give the illusion that the game has a developmental period as longer or longer than other Smash titles.
  10. Way to promote Nintendo Switch Online and it’s capabilities through numerous majr updates.
  11. An unorthodox approach taken in revealing he game could reflect an orthodox strategy in marketing the game itself.
Anyway, I do hope I am not right and this is an entirely new game with new content and a fresh, interesting roster of the characters we all love (or find ourselves loving...or hating).

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

1 Inklings - Confirmed

What're your bets?
Is the retro character one of the first reveals? Duck Hunt was one of the last if I recall last time?

1. Inklings - Confirmed
2. Captain Toad - looking at him as the equivalent of Villager. He's a well known Nintendo face who is semi hype for a lot of people and it'd fit nicely with the launch of his ports.
3. Rayman - piggybacking off Rabbid + Mario Kingdom Battle DLC, Rayman was a popular pick last speculation period. Probably have the Rabbids from Kingdom Battle in the video and in the game as Assist trophies. Expecting Rayman may be DLC for Kingdom Battle too.
4. Dixie Kong/Cranky Kong - possibly also piggybacking off of the Mario + Rabbids DK DLC Dixie Kong could put an appearance in. I'm going to put Cranky in small letters because he's also possible instead of her going off of Tropical Freeze.
5. Ice Climbers - if we're counting returning veterans anyway.

if not...

6. Ridley - Screw it, let's go crazy.

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
Is the retro character one of the first reveals? Duck Hunt was one of the last if I recall last time?

1. Inklings - Confirmed
2. Captain Toad - looking at him as the equivalent of Villager. He's a well known Nintendo face who is semi hype for a lot of people and it'd fit nicely with the launch of his ports.
3. Rayman - piggybacking off Rabbid + Mario Kingdom Battle DLC, Rayman was a popular pick last speculation period. Probably have the Rabbids from Kingdom Battle in the video and in the game as Assist trophies. Expecting Rayman may be DLC for Kingdom Battle too.
4. Dixie Kong/Cranky Kong - possibly also piggybacking off of the Mario + Rabbids DK DLC Dixie Kong could put an appearance in. I'm going to put Cranky in small letters because he's also possible instead of her going off of Tropical Freeze.
5. Ice Climbers - if we're counting returning veterans anyway.

if not...

6. Ridley - Screw it, let's go crazy.
I was thinking more in line with Ice climbers being revealed 4th in melee, pit was the second reveal in brawl, and Little mac was the 5th newcomer reveal in Sm4sh.

Last edited:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
We've yet to have a Smash game sells as much as Brawl on a single console.
Time to bust out the sales numbers:

Super Smash Bros.: 5.55 million units. (2.93m in US, 1.97m in Japan)
Super Smash Bros. Melee: 7.41 million units.
Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 13.27 million units.
Super Smash Bros. For 3DS: 9.24 million units.
Super Smash Bros. For Wii U: 5.34 million units.

Top 3 in Sales: Brawl > 3DS > Melee.

The combined sales of 3DS and Wii U: 14.58 million units.

Together, the 3DS and Wii U become the best-selling installments, but as mentioned this is a two-console endeavor. Brawl has yet to be dethroned as the standalone title.

Regardless, the numbers don't lie: the series has progressively sold better as time has gone on. If things continue like this, Smash Switch should hopefully reach around 15 million, leaving a rather heft dent in today's market.

Edit: More importantly, it was noted that, as of January, the Switch had accumulated 17.79 million units sold. If Smash Switch sells around 15 mil, it'd have an astounding 84.32% attachment rate. Think about it: that would mean that out of every 10 people who purchased a Switch, 8 of them also went on to purchase Smash. That's insane.

Of course, I'm certain the Switch has already outsold those margins, considering it has been 4 months. But still, it's something worth thinking about.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom