• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
my only concern with smash moving forward if we get a fire emblem lord and get laura is how many humanoid characters we would have. I'd like to maintain the variety which is why i like midna and wolf link, rabbid peach, dixie (or funky) anda new pokemon. I feel like aesthetically sakurai values visual variety becuase, while it is merely surface level, it allows you to catch more eyes. This is part of the reason people love games like marvel and its my biggest issue with DBFZ.
Fun fact: the only DLC characters we got in Smash 4 that weren't "proportionate" human designs were :4mewtwo: and :4lucas:. In contrast...

:4feroy::4ryu::4cloud::4corrin::4bayonetta:

What do you guys think about the possibility of a Tekken or Soul Calibur rep?
Heihachi would be pretty cool.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
It just feels really bogus to me to say ''I just want to keep the Nintendo feel." but not want third parties in Smash Brothers because it'd ruin the ''Nintendo feel"

Nintendo isn't and never has been just first party. First party is important to a company's success, but everyone needs help from their friends every now and then.
Something something Nintendo has no third party games, something something has to rely entirely on first party titles.

Or so the internet forum narrative goes.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
So I'll be honest, I'm still really cynical about it, but because I'm such a nerdy fanboy of the leak trio in question I knocked up a quick pic to celebrate the occasion of our first vaguely interesting leak. Enjoy!

Or don't. I don't care, but I still did a thing.

LeakCharacters.png

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
What do you guys think about the possibility of a Tekken or Soul Calibur rep?
I could definitely see a Tekken character happening. It helps that Heihachi was considered before and he ended up getting a Mii costume. It's probably a toss up between him and Jin if one does make it.

I wouldn't consider a Soul Calibur character to be as likely, but it actually has direct history with a Nintendo series, so it's not entirely out of the picture.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So I'll be honest, I'm still really cynical about it, but because I'm such a nerdy fanboy of the leak trio in question I knocked up a quick pic to celebrate the occasion of our first vaguely interesting leak. Enjoy!

Or don't. I don't care, but I still did a thing.
This needs to be everywhere on social media like Facebook and Twitter!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It just feels really bogus to me to say ''I just want to keep the Nintendo feel." but not want third parties in Smash Brothers because it'd ruin the ''Nintendo feel"

Nintendo isn't and never has been just first party. First party is important to a company's success, but everyone needs help from their friends every now and then.
Not that long ago (though longer than I'd care to admit) people genuinely thought Classic Mega Man and Castlevania were Nintendo franchises, a thing repeated with Ace Attorney, Cooking Mama and Professor Layton on the DS. If they felt "Nintendo enough" for that to happen then one figures that being 3rd party doesn't compromise Nintendo-ness in and of itself.

Sony had a similar thing that became a problem when they decided "let's do our own Smash" and we all realised that all the icons were 3rd party and most weren't playing ball. Only 3rd party I'd say were a PS icons were Heiatchi and Raiden (filling in for Snake). They got the wrong Dante by will of the Dark God Mar K'teng and Big Daddy and Isaac Clarke were more multiplatfrom.

Parappa, Sweet Tooth, Spike and Sir Dan are great and all but they really aren't Crash, Spyro, Cloud, Lara Croft or Classic Dante.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Sony had a similar thing that became a problem when they decided "let's do out own Smash" and we all realised that all the icons were 3rd party and most weren't playing ball. Only 3rd party I'd say were a PS icons were Heiatchi and Raiden (filling in for Snake). They got the wrong Dante by will of the Dark God Mar K'teng and Big Daddy and Isaac Clarke were more multiplatfrom.

Parappa, Sweet Tooth, Spike and Sir Dan are great and all but they really aren't Crash, Spyro, Cloud, Lara Croft or Classic Dante.
Reboot Dante in PSASBR reminds of Live Action Maleficent in Disney Infinity.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I've sort of been avoiding Smashboards the past several days because our discussions have been pretty cyclical since the reveal due to the lack of information. It's pretty unfortunate.

In regards to the current discussion about third parties in Smash, here is my stance on it:

I don't have a deep connection to many possible third parties, so I tend to dislike the idea of them getting in. That's my own personal stance though, and I can completely understand that there are plenty of others who are worthy additions. I'm going to keep my hopes up for Joker, as I do see him being a realizable option. Persona 5 is getting extra milked by Atlus right now with all the DLC for P5, Dancing Star Night coming soon, Persona Q2 being a thing on Nintendo consoles, they've invested in another Persona anime for P5, and away from Persona 5, Nintendo and Atlus did the collab with TMS#FE. Other than Joker, though, the only 3rd party I'd really get excited about would be Spyro.

On the topic of Spyro, we have our "leak". I'm not terribly convinced about its authenticity yet. They did guess the date correctly, as well as Virtual Console getting the axe, but that's not enough to convince me. I'll be happy if he does correctly predict Spyro, but Crash and Captain Toad aren't characters I'm particularly invested in. I'll be happy for their supporters, though, as I have nothing against them either.

Anyways, I hope we receive more convincing leaks or information so I can feel good about coming back and speculating with all you crazy kids.

Last edited:

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Hmm about the current topic I'm not against third parties. They just need to be relevant to Nintendo history, current or not. Cloud so far is the only one that never really fit this criteria, so imo it's good
I do think however that emphasis on first-party should always be that way. That's why I wasn't too excited for the DLC overall aside from Mewtwo and Bayonetta

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
The new information by Nintendo about their online services match with what said in the leak ?
I'm more excited by C.Toad than the third-parties...

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Everyone's talking about third party performances in the ballot and how much they mean so that begs the question, how did Crash and Spyro perform in the ballot? Personally, I don't think either drew huge numbers at all.
I'm assuming that due to the timing of the ballot, neither drew in strong numbers. Remember, this was before Crash N. Sane Trilogy and Spyro Reignited Trilogy sparked interest in both franchises again, and in the case of Spyro had to deal with the controversial Skylanders appearance for the time being. I especially doubt Spyro was even thought of in Japan at all due to the negative reception of the Spyro games over there.

Though it's safe to assume that Crash drew in more votes overall due to the higher popularity the series has.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I would imagine that neither Crash or Spyro's inclusions would be related to the remasters of their titles. Perhaps Crash's could, depending on when development started for that. However I doubt Sakurai would know about that sort of thing unless Activision went out of their way to let him know.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Crash and Spyro leak is fake
If you're referring to that post on Gamefaqs saying it was fake, the account who said that was not the same as the 4chan leaker, and the 4chan leaker has since stated that it was not he who said it was fake. He has maintained his stance that it was true, and I don't believe we have received solid evidence that it is fake yet.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I don't really have anything against third parties as a whole, although I could understand a fear of third party fatigue. Playstation All Star is a good example of third parties without any real sense of direction, its very hard to find things that bind Heihachi, DMC Dante, Big Daddy, and Issac Clarke together thematically.

Thus far, all of Smash's 3rd parties have had a very strong history to back up their inclusion and are massive names. Snake was the star of the first cinematic action adventure and thusly changed the direction of AAA gaming. Sonic was the face of one of the two big home gaming staples of the 5th generation. Mega Man may as well be a Nintendo character, seeing how closely the character is associated to Nintendo. Pac-Man was one of the first Japanese gaming characters to see massive success and is the most recognizable gaming character to date. Ryu is the face of Fighting games. Cloud is the most popular character in one of the 2 franchises that created the JRPG. The only real exception to this is Bayonetta, but she's practically a Nintendo character with Nintendo funding Bayonetta 2 and 3.

That being said: I'm not really sure what third party should go in the base roster. I really like the idea of Crash and Doom Guy, however their revivals didn't reach the Switch until after the base roster was decided. I also like the idea of Ray-Man on paper, but I can't get super excited about it for some reason.

The one third party I think people are sleeping on far too much is Dragon Quest. That series is a cultural juggernaut over in Japan, even if its kinda niche in the west. A Dragon Quest rep could get in solely on the series' Japanese popularity alone. Plus, every instalment has had at least one release on a Nintendo system, although its hard to say how much that really adds.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
If you're referring to that post on Gamefaqs saying it was fake, the account who said that was not the same as the 4chan leaker, and the 4chan leaker has since stated that it was not he who said it was fake. He has maintained his stance that it was true, and I don't believe we have received solid evidence that it is fake yet.
It is fake because they got pretty much everything wrong. Literally the only bit of information that was right was the date, and even then it only applied to the US due to how time zones work.

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
Alright guys and gals we're getting close. Before any random character reveals what do you think will be the next 4 characters revealed and why?

1 Inklings - Confirmed
2 Rayman - Hes going to be the big 3rd party reveal
3 Paper Mario - The new IPs generally come at the front. My Third new IP is from Rythem Heaven which I believe will be revealed closer to the end.
4 Dixie Kong - She seems like the best on my list of "Series Expanding" characters to show off with her game's re-release.
5 Isaac - He will be the retro character this game. the retro character has consistently been one of the first reveals.

What're your bets?

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Third parties have NOT one thing to do with any Nintendo character not getting in.

It doesn't work like that home skillets.

''We got Crash Bandicoot over K. Rool! How dare he take K. Rool's spot." is just a silly thing to say.

Sakurai isn't picking a third party to neglect a Nintendo character.

So again...

''They put in Cloud, Bayonetta, Ryu, Mega Man, and Pac Man over a Zelda rep? So gross."

Zelda isn't getting reps, because well, we've been over this 97 times. There's no clear cut person to add after Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf.
Incoming Zelda rant, and the reason I don't like to talk about Zelda when it comes to Smash:

It's not about taking spots, or picking characters over others. It's about balance between guest characters and actual Nintendo characters. Zelda is terribly misrepresented, and it's one of the most beloved franchises in gaming per se. Ganondorf is still a slow Captain Falcon, Zelda is still a terribly planned character. I've often even wondered if Sakurai straight up hates Zelda.
For a franchise as big as it is, all it has is Link, another uninspired Link, a terribly designed Zelda, Captain Falcondorf and Sheik, a one-time character from a game the series has been trying to depart from.
After Skyward Sword, ALBW and Breath of the Wild, leaving the same four and a half characters when the series has been desperately trying to evolve would be almost disrespectful. "Oh, three experimental entries in the franchise that radically changed conventions in order to prevent stagnation? Too bad, it gets the same old stagnated ****. BTW here's some third party character that has nothing to do with Nintendo."

And about clear cut characters? There's always adding more Links. BotW Link has moveset potential to spare, so does ALBW/Classic Link, MM Link, Wolf Link or any Link they want to put. Want fun moveset potential? Ravio, Midna, Ghirahim, Lana, Linkle, Vaati, Zant, the Champions. Recognition (as if Zelda, Nintendo's 3rd biggest franchise, needed that)? Skull Kid, Tingle, Classic/Pig Ganon. Easy last minute clones? Impa, Toon Zelda. I can't take the clear cut argument seriously when Sheik is in the game. Has Sheik ever returned to a main game? Nope, it isn't likely, and it doesn't matter. If Tecmo Koei came up with 7 different, fun and fitting movesets for Link, 3 for Zelda, 2 for Ganondorf, and a moveset for Agitha, of all people, how come the Smash team keeps using the same outdated movesets?
Zelda is not just about the same three people. There are tons of diverse villains, sidekicks and secondary characters to explore that make the franchise great and feel fresh with every iteration.

Skull Kid would bring almost as much hype as most of the third party suggestions. Maybe even more. I would dare bet he ranked very high in the ballot, too. I don't personally like him as a rep, but I'll take anything at this point. I'd put a Wolf Link + Midna combo up there, too. Not only are they hype, but they can bring completely new concepts to the game. Maybe even a transforming MM Link.

Add as many great things as they want, they're still adding to a game with a fat, festering sore named "Zelda." I mean, it's not Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus, or whatever we're talking here, its Zelda. A franchise as important to video games as a whole as Mario.

Rant aside, how come I've never seen Geralt being discussed. He's bigger than most of the third parties mentioned. Is it because of his book origins, or the lack of Nintendo relation?

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Alright guys and gals we're getting close. Before any random character reveals what do you think will be the next 4 characters revealed and why?

1 Inklings - Confirmed
3 Paper Mario - The new IPs generally come at the front. My Third new IP is from Rythem Heaven which I believe will be revealed closer to the end.
4 Dixie Kong - She seems like the best on my list of "Series Expanding" characters to show off with her game's re-release.
5 Isaac - He will be the retro character this game. the retro character has consistently been one of the first reveals.

What're your bets?
1. Inkling
2. Banjo-Kazooie, and the original games are getting the remake treatment.
3. Captain Toad
4. Dixie Kong and K.Rool in a joint trailer
5. Crash Bandicoot

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
1. Inkling
2. Banjo-Kazooie, and the original games are getting the remake treatment.
3. Captain Toad
4. Dixie Kong and K.Rool in a joint trailer
5. Crash Bandicoot
2 3rd parties in the first 5? Ballsy bet, I like it.

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion

1 Inklings - Confirmed

What're your bets?
How can Isaac be a retro rep? Isaac from Golden Sun in 2001 right? Are they going to skip the late 80's and 90's to add Isaac as the retro rep? Pretty much only one gets added every game, and I doubt the one for this Smash would be Issac. Not trying to disparage Isaac's chances overall, but I don't see how he's a "retro rep".

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
What are the general reasons for people expecting 4-5 newcomers revealed? I know with the 2018 release, there is not much time, but I expect at most 3 like with Smash Wii U/3DS.

Roberk

Smash Champion
I almost forgot, but today marks the 5-week point until the June 12th Smash presentation.

I highly doubt we'd get any news that's Smash related or even big before then. Only 5 more weeks, 5 more weeks...

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Hey, I got a thing!

How many Newcomers do you think will be shown at E3?

I’m thinking 5 is a good number, especially if the game is releasing this year. 3 in the presentation. 2 in the Treehouse.

What do you guys think?
3 to 5 newcomers is my personal prediction for the big E3 reveal - Part of me imagines we'd see all five of them revealed at once in a big trailer like Brawl's when we had Meta Knight, Pit, Zero Suit Samus, Wario and Snake revealed in the same trailer.

But 3-5 newcomers is a very safe prediction if you ask me.

1 Inklings - Confirmed

What're your bets?
1st: Inkling - First revealed newcomer
2nd: Isabelle - Harkens back to Villager being the first newcomer in Smash 4
3rd: Takamaru - Retro character in vein of how they confirmed Pit back in the Brawl trailer
4th: King K. Rool - Once again - a super popular and heavily demanded request is realised - going back to the Brawl comparison with Wario's confirmation
5th: A third-party character.

Those are my predictions if it had to be.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Fun fact: the only DLC characters we got in Smash 4 that weren't "proportionate" human designs were :4mewtwo: and :4lucas:. In contrast...

:4feroy::4ryu::4cloud::4corrin::4bayonetta:

Heihachi would be pretty cool.
the dlc i dont really care about becuase it can be argued post release content has a shorter cycle and outside factirs play a large part. not having to recreate a characters unique body saves time. theres a reason mewtwo and lucas were the only ones: the assets already existed.
to push it further it can be argued. corrin AND roy are marth bases. bayo is a zss base, and cloud uses mutliple normals that are on the mii swordfighter.

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
How can Isaac be a retro rep? Isaac from Golden Sun in 2001 right? Are they going to skip the late 80's and 90's to add Isaac as the retro rep? Pretty much only one gets added every game, and I doubt the one for this Smash would be Issac. Not trying to disparage Isaac's chances overall, but I don't see how he's a "retro rep".
Well he is a retro character from a dead franchise (Sitting at 17 years now). Which is the first reason I'd say he fits in the retro pool. He consistently makes the 10 ten in character votes in each region. He has move set potential. It doesnt look like he has a lot of rival blonde hair sword boys to compete with. And as we have seen from the ballots a lot of the characters chosen are characters people in their 20-30s grew up with. He seems like the best character to fill in the age gap since most of my other characters are new game predictions except for excite biker who is way older. Sakurai has to appeal to all the audience. plus with Isaac on the initial 5 the general Smash fan will be excited because they would know he came from the ballot which would get them excited about others in his same age group (Advanced wars, Ray, and such).

RosaPeach

Smash Journeyman
The Most Wanted Characters I Want For Smash 5

Takamaru( Look I love Samurais)
Excitebiker(I dont know I like the character and his home stage also Excitebike Main Theme)
Chibi Robo(I love the main theme)
Celica(What shes my FE Waifu)
King K Rool & Dixie Kong( Im a big DK fan)
Chorus Kids(I dont know the Rhyme Heaven Series but I just like the Chorus Kids sense I hear they we're rumor to be playable in Smash 4 but didn't happen I dont know I want Chorus Kids in smash 5 I dont mind if Sakurai add Karate Joe over Chorus Kids)
Hades(Hades is my favorite Nintendo villain and we need more troll characters if I cant have Ghirahim then I want Hades Sakurai)
Princess Daisy(I need Daisy to complete the Princess trio and Daisy appear in a actual Mario game that is Super Mario Land also shes a tomboy)
Captain Toad(Toad better use his magic carpet for his up special)
Arle Nadja (Look I love puzzle games we need a Puzzle character I chose Arle over Lip because shes popular in Japan)
Travis Touchdown( He likes anime)
Rayman(I love the Rayman series Rayman is my number 1 third partie I want to see in Smash 5)
Geno(I think Geno is really cool character and his play style fits well in smash)
Bomberman(I only Bomberman R and I love the game Bomberman is like a smash character)
Simon Belmont(I like Vampires and Castlevania Netflix TV Show)

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746

1 Inklings - Confirmed

What're your bets?
1. Decidueye
2. Captain Toad
3. K. Rool
4. Heihachi Mishima

2 relatively new characters with solid demand for safety, one ballot character that ended last game as a Mii Costume, and one character revealed to have been planned for Smash once upon a time and ended last game as a Mii Fighter Costume, who also comes from a game that has been including many characters from outside Tekken recently.

EDIT: if we doin' a most wanted characters list too than here I go again:
1. Mimikyu (WHO WOULDA THOUGHT)
2. Ashley
3. Brave Lucina (keep Roy though.)
4. Ice Climbers
5. Wolf
6. Daisy/Waluigi/Capt. Toad (All are pretty cool in their own way and I doubt I'll get to see more than one of them)
7. Heihachi Mishima (I would actually love this despite how awkward he'd look next to the rest of the cast)
8. Viridi
9. K. Rool
10. I will shoot myself in the foot and say Amy Rose. Why not.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
blackghost blackghost
My only concern with smash moving forward if we get a fire emblem lord and get laura is how many humanoid characters we would have. I'd like to maintain the variety which is why i like midna and wolf link, rabbid peach, dixie (or funky) anda new pokemon. I feel like aesthetically sakurai values visual variety becuase, while it is merely surface level, it allows you to catch more eyes. This is part of the reason people love games like marvel and its my biggest issue with DBFZ.
A good reason to add Mimikyu. Everyone seems to doubt him just because he's not humanoid like Decidueye.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
It is fake because they got pretty much everything wrong. Literally the only bit of information that was right was the date, and even then it only applied to the US due to how time zones work.
Well to be fair, they also got the end of virtual console correct. Also, it's still possible that the Nintendo Classics label and the rumored GBA games are still happening but just haven't been announced yet. After all, Nintendo is known to hold surprises like this and reveal them later on to generate hype. The only things we can say the leak definitively got wrong were the August release date and the the $2.50 price on the NES games.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

1 Inklings - Confirmed

What're your bets?
Isaac's not retro and Dixie Kong would most likely be revealed closer to the game's release as a generous extra addition like Wolf.

As for E3, I'd probably bet on Bomberman, Excitebike, and maybe Rhythm Heaven. Bomberman has been requested for years and Excitebike is one of Nintendo's most successful IPs, as well as the ninth best selling Famicom game.

Maybe Pauline as the Donkey Kong newcomer. If she's in then revealing her early would be extremely wise after her popularity from Super Mario Odyssey.

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
blackghost blackghost

A good reason to add Mimikyu. Everyone seems to doubt him just because he's not humanoid like Decidueye.
hE dOeSn'T hAvE fIgHtInG gAmE pOtEnTiAl!

*looks at Duck Hunt, Game & Watch, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer...*

(Never doing that memey crap again...I feel gross now)

Last edited:

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
1. Decidueye
2. Captain Toad
3. K. Rool
4. Heihachi Mishima

2 relatively new characters with solid demand for safety, one ballot character that ended last game as a Mii Costume, and one character revealed to have been planned for Smash once upon a time and ended last game as a Mii Fighter Costume, who also comes from a game that has been including many characters from outside Tekken recently.

EDIT: if we doin' a most wanted characters list too than here I go again:
1. Mimikyu (WHO WOULDA THOUGHT)
2. Ashley
3. Brave Lucina (keep Roy though.)
4. Ice Climbers
5. Wolf
6. Daisy/Waluigi/Capt. Toad (All are pretty cool in their own way and I doubt I'll get to see more than one of them)
7. Heihachi Mishima (I would actually love this despite how awkward he'd look next to the rest of the cast)
8. Viridi
9. K. Rool
10. I will shoot myself in the foot and say Amy Rose. Why not.
Nope I'm going for the actual first 5 line up. I see you added Decidueye. I figured the poke rep would come later with squirtle and ivysaur

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Nope I'm going for the actual first 5 line up. I see you added Decidueye. I figured the poke rep would come later with squirtle and ivysaur
I mean you also listed Inklings in your 5 which seemed kinda redundant since, as you said, they are confirmed. So I just skipped that one. I also have no idea why anyone would bet on Ivysaur and Squirtle at this point.

"Yes, sir. I would like to throw away money as efficiently as possible."

EDIT: Not saying people shouldn't think that it just seems super far fetched to me that people actually expect this despite all this talk about a low list of new characters, over representation (Pffft), and the desire for old vets to come back that are far more popular than the two starters (Ice Climbers, Wolf, even Snake).

Last edited:

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
I mean you also listed Inklings in your 5 which seemed kinda redundant since, as you said, they are confirmed. So I just skipped that one.
Oh yea, I mean i see what you did I was just responding to the second half of your post where you said "if we doin' a most wanted characters list" I gotcha now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom