• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Hey, I got a thing!

How many Newcomers do you think will be shown at E3?

I’m thinking 5 is a good number, especially if the game is releasing this year. 3 in the presentation. 2 in the Treehouse.

What do you guys think?
My hope is that we get a reveal trailer like Melee and Brawl, revealing a bunch of characters at once rather than individual trailers

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Hey, I got a thing!

I’m thinking 5 is a good number, especially if the game is releasing this year. 3 in the presentation. 2 in the Treehouse.

What do you guys think?
I'm guessing at least three, possibly as many as five.

If I had to pick a number and not sit on the fence, I'd go with five - we technically got five newcomers revealed for Brawl's announcement (Zero Suit Samus was a Samus transformation, so I'm not sure how to count her), and if the game's supposed to be coming out this year (which I still doubt), I feel like they'll really have to speed up character announcements.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Hey, I got a thing!

What do you guys think?
Excluding Inklings, two or three. If there are too many characters at once, people wouldn't be very interested in individual characters.

LoboRundas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LoboRundas
3DS FC
4098-3496-0921
Switch FC
SW 6696 1795 2392
Hey, I got a thing!

What do you guys think?
I wish they would pull a Brawl and just throw a quick trailer with a lot of newcomers, but I expect something more like Smash 4, a trailer with one or two newcomers and then some more in the treehouse or some event

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
Excluding Inklings, two or three. If there are too many characters at once, people wouldn't be very interested in individual characters.
That wasn't something they worried about with the initial Brawl trailer, and it hyped me plenty. Granted I'm a guaranteed purchase so arguably I'm not the intended audience.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Clean or flavoured?
Neither.

Because this won't be happening. :cool:

Will you stream it if it comes to that?

Side note: IF true, all the game needs now is for Cloud to return and Lara Croft to make an appearance then they could call it Super Smash Bros: Play Station All-Stars Battle Royale.
I mean I'd have to check the Twitch terms of services in the events of this highly unlikely event. Underwear might be considered lewd.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Hey, I got a thing!

What do you guys think?
My vote is at 5 too. They've always revealed at least 3 newcomers at E3, but since the game is coming out this year, I can see them revealing more this time around.

osby

Smash Obsessed
That wasn't something they worried about with the initial Brawl trailer, and it hyped me plenty. Granted I'm a guaranteed purchase so arguably I'm not the intended audience.
Brawl still had four: Snake, Wario, Pit, Meta Knight. It also only showed four veterans. And... we are going to be hyped anyway, after all this wait, so...

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I could see 4 or 5 newcomers aswell, but I think they'll be staggered out a bit over the course of E3 so that every newcomer gets their brief time in the sun. 2 or 3 in the Direct, 1 elsewhere like with Wii Fit Trainer (Treehouse maybe?), and 1 at the end of the Invitational.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Hey, I got a thing!

What do you guys think?
I mentioned this before but I think they'll be a newcomer revealed at the start of the presentation, one at the end of the presentation, and then another newcomer/veteran in the Treehouse showing of Smash (excluding the Inklings).

I also feel that there's going to be a big reveal for the Smash Invitational. Like for the finals one player will be presented the honor of being the first person to play as a huge newcomer to the game. Would make for a really hype moment.

osby

Smash Obsessed
You forgot ZSS sis
Haha, I remember her, but she was always there. It's just took her two games to remember she can still beat Mario up without her suit.

But real talk, if we get an alternate form of a character, different fighting style, no transformation: Would people be interested?

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Going back a few pages.

Guinness world record for most magazine covers.
Guinness world record best selling video game heroine.
Guinness world record for real life stand ins for a character.
Guinness world record for most recognizable female character in a video game.

Yes. Lara Croft sure is a C list D list all star. Let me tell you. No one knows who this ***** is.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm thinking 3 new characers and a bunch of veterans, especially ones on the suspected chopping block

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
You know, I wonder - how big is Tomb Raider over in Japan?
If I had to guess not that big. Most of her fan base resides in the UK and the rest in the US with slight popularity elsewhere. Just a guess but I don’t think she’s too big of a deal over there. Definitely not near as much as the other two territories I mentioned.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Nintendo wasn't involved in the CD-I. It's actually even more hilarious because of some weird contract issue. Philips got the right to use the Nintendo properties for a short time even after the SNES add on was dropped. The whole thing was a colossal disaster on Nintendo's part.

It's a tale as old as time in this industry though, when a console holder gets on top they get cocky and arrogant. They think they can get away with anything until it comes back to bite them later.
And you often wonder if the Wii U's reliance on its GamePad is one of the reasons for its downfall. I get that the Wii U didn't do as well as Nintendo had hoped, but when communities begin to claim that it's a forgettable console, that's just a huge insult for any of the good Wii U titles that may never see a Nintendo Switch port; some did receive 3DS ports, such as Yoshi's Woolly World, but Super Mario Maker 3DS is arguably worse than the original Wii U version.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I doubt Japan is even a thing when it comes to roster selection.

Seriously. I doubt that Sakurai is holding back his roster selection choices or basing his roster selection choices because of a character's popularity in one country alone.

The roster would already look very different if so.

Last edited:

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
:p
Going back a few pages.

Guinness world record for most magazine covers.
Guinness world record best selling video game heroine.
Guinness world record for real life stand ins for a character.
Guinness world record for most recognizable female character in a video game.

Yes. Lara Croft sure is a C list D list all star. Let me tell you. No one knows who this ***** is.
It's very easy to trigger people on this forum :p

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Not triggered.

Just pointing out that you've made yourself look like an uninformed individual even if you were ''trolling".

At least troll with intelligence. That's actually funny.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
Gonna guess 5 newcomers, one of them being a 3rd party. I doubt they will announce multiple 3rd parties, because they would steal the spotlight from each other. That may not be a big deal for us, but it might be a big deal for the companies these characters belong to.

I just hope they go with surprising newcomers. E3 2014 had me a little bored with its predictable choices.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
IIRC, Little Mac was a character chosen for his western popularity.

There was that article about the Japanese reaction and it read like a western "HTF is Shulk" thread

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Nah, I wouldn't go that far. Japanese popularity (or lack of it) could affect Sakurai's perception of what's big and what's not.
Sakurai doesn't strike me as a guy whose knowledge is only limited to ''This is what is the haps in Kyoto, you see."

Yes, Sakurai is a 1940s American gangster living in Japan.

osby

Smash Obsessed
It's not a competition or anything but I think characters like Lara Croft has more going for them: Appearences in multiple media (Sonic, Cloud etc) really helps recognizability.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
And you often wonder if the Wii U's reliance on its GamePad is one of the reasons for its downfall. I get that the Wii U didn't do as well as Nintendo had hoped, but when communities begin to claim that it's a forgettable console, that's just a huge insult for any of the good Wii U titles that may never see a Nintendo Switch port; some did receive 3DS ports, such as Yoshi's Woolly World, but Super Mario Maker 3DS is arguably worse than the original Wii U version.
The biggest downfall of the Wii U was it's amateurish marketing and failure to appeal the nature of their product to the audience. There were a lot of people who thought the Wii U was an extension of the Wii console. No console release should be so confusing that consumers literally mistake your product for something else entirely. By the time such things were corrected it was already too late to salvage the damage done. That's why the Switch was able to succeed. They shown the concept and people could immediately grasp it. They knew what exactly it was, what it could do, and why they would want it.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The problem with Lara Croft for me is that her ballot popularity is unknown. I barely seen her demanded during the time of ballot campaigning back then, and it makes me suspect that her chances of being considered are very low as a result. Her merits as an icon are there, but the demand in the ballot is what counts for a third-party to be considered for this game, and I do not see her placement in the ballot being high at all.

Last edited:

Antimatter042

Smash Apprentice
Carrying on with the E3 newcomer spectulation, I'm thinking 4-5 not including Inklings. My expectation is that Smash will pincer the E3 Direct from both ends like E3 2014 with a newcomer + Inklings gameplay at the start, with some developer commentary on the game, follwed by the rest of the Direct then closed with 1-2 more newcomers (including a 3rd Party). Then we get someone at Treehouse fairly early in and possibly someone at the very start of the Invitational. I think a newcomer deluge like Brawl in 2006 isn't especially likely, because a staggered set of reveal keeps people on their toes and sents hype to the stratosphere constantly, and Brawl's approach plus gameplay footage would be too bloated and lack focus.

osby

Smash Obsessed
The problem with Lara Croft for me is that her ballot popularity is unknown. I barely seen her demanded during the time of ballot campaigning back then, and it makes me suspect that her chances of being considered are very low as a result. Her merits as an icon are there, but the demand in the ballot is what counts for a third-party to be considered for this game, and I do not see her placement in the ballot being high at all.
I don't think she really listed high at all. But ballot is not the only place that looked for character selection, even with third parties.

It's just that she might have a edge over other characters. I don't think she'll get in, but I'd be a lot more interested in her than 90s platforming mascots, no offense to their fans.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Honestly, despite the icon status Lara has a major obstacle in that she uses realistic weaponry, it wouldn't be classic Lara without her pistols

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
There’s no reason to believe the ballot is the only source to be considered. That’s just silly.

Reminder to those of you predicting how many newcomers/characters will be shown at E3.

Smash 4 and Brawl didn’t come out for YEARS after their initial reveal.

Smash Switch, assuming it stays on track, has SIX MONTHS.

There’s going to be veterans, newcomers, and there’s going to be a LOT of them.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Hey, I got a thing!

What do you guys think?
I think around the presentation, the invitational and Treehouse we might see many reveals spaced out, so I guess 4? (Two in the presentation, one in the invitational and one in the Treehouse)
Not counting the Inklings tho

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
:p
It's very easy to trigger people on this forum :p
Just saying "haha you got triggered" isn't a good look on you and only makes you look like an ass.

Roger provided a counterargument to what you said and you're response was essentially nothing.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I think people tend to overlook that, yes, the newcomer pool might not be as "famous" as past ones, but that's because the all-stars are ALREADY IN THE GAME. The cover will still be Mario punching Pikachu in the face while Samus tries to dodge Link's sword, and children everywhere will go wild for it.

I'm sure there will be a high profile Third-Party or two to pin some of the marketing on, but just because we're looking at Ridley/Rool/Dee/Retro's/etc for First-Party doesn't negate all of the legends already in the roster. We're certainly not at the "get Steve from Minecraft or the kids won't buy it!" stage of Smash history. Mario, Link, Samus, tons of Pokemon, Animal Crossing, now Inklings... the list goes on. It's still a phenomenal roster that will delight people of all ages without scrambling for non-Nintendo characters.

Also, new content like stages and game modes will be big selling points too. I'm sure some new stuff that takes advantage of the Switch's pick-up-and-play angle will be heavily promoted.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I know, there is also developer and friend connections too like with Bandai Namco and Kojima, but I doubt any of the Lara Croft Western developers are close to Sakurai for the idea to be considered.
Well if a second Square enix rep were to be considered, square pushing for Lara would make sense, Tomb Raider is probably their biggest franchise after Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest after all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom