• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
OK am I actually the only one that has no issue with Pyra's (and Mythra to include her) design? Women wear short/revealing clothing whilst fighting and traveling. I don't care if a bunch of nerds would fawn over her, it's not a problem with her then. It's a stylistic/fashion choice that is perfectly normal.

Undoubtedly the model will probably be tweaked for Smash but it's such a shame, really. Not everything has be to be sexualized despite "hints" at it.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
You know, I learned something over my previous tenure: Smash Bros. speculation is a handy analogue for dealing with US politics.

Because all the voters get riled up in the same meaningless buzzwords & talking points, and nothing ever changes when the detractors are the ones screaming the loudest.

And now I've come to relive it all over again.

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
About the plantlife moveset; even then, if Sakurai wanted a character that uses an exclusivley plant based moveset, AND is from the realm of Mario, would he really consider Princess Daisy, and not, say, the big PLANT guy who already has a history with Smash Bros? Im not saying Petey is more lijely than Daisy, but he does anything flower related Daisy could do, but better.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Daisy can incorporate a sports moveset. Model her after the 80's Gladiator show.

Daisy can use Mariokart staples like boost rings and turbo arrows to accelerate around the stage and build her movement options, while giving her a power boost. To showcase her rough and tumble attitude over Peach's girly demeanor, have her pluck out Bullet Bills as an Up Smash, sending them zooming into the sky.

She can ride a metal daisy with razor petals for a side Smash and hold rising dandelion fluff bombs for an Up special.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
About the plantlife moveset; even then, if Sakurai wanted a character that uses an exclusivley plant based moveset, AND is from the realm of Mario, would he really consider Princess Daisy, and not, say, the big PLANT guy who already has a history with Smash Bros? Im not saying Petey is more lijely than Daisy, but he does anything flower related Daisy could do, but better.
Yeah but Petey is our paint representative, sorry bro

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You mind sharing an Henry Fleming moveset idea?
Sure! The full moveset is still a WIP, but here's a general description of the proposed playstyle alongside the special moves.

General Playstyle Description: Henry Fleming's main gimmick comes in the form of his steam tank: a meter is displayed by his HUD portrait, a la Little Mac's KO Meter, that displays steam in a cylindrical tank. As Henry uses his specials, the steam in the tank depletes. Upon depletion, Henry's specials become incredibly weak. Steam can be restored by staying in place or not using your specials for a while.The less he uses these moves, the more steam he has, and the more damage these specials do. A different take on a resource-management type of character. However, for his non-Special moves, Henry is actually quite adept at close-quarter combat. Being that he is a Civil War veteran, he's trained in all sort of combat. For example, his throws are based around his special Push mechanic from the game, while his pummel involves hitting the foe over the head with the butt of his rifle. His Side Smash could make use of a shoulder bash move. Henry's seen war and has done his training, leading to a sort of militaristic and professional vibe to his normal moves, with a few steam-powered projectiles intermixed.

Neutral Special - Eagle Rifle - Henry draws his rifle and takes aim, while aiming, he can move slowly to keep the target in his sight. Afterwards, he shoots out three steam-fired bullets with comic-book aesthetics (to get around the whole "no real guns" thing more easily). To add a bit of fun, it is possible to adjust Henry's aim mid-fire, allowing for projectile pressure and mix-ups, or to catch an opponent if they try to jump away. This move uses about one third of Henry's Steam Tank.

Side Special - Steam Crossbow - Henry draws out his subweapon, the Steam Crossbow, and fires a single bolt in a rather quick strike. It has a bit of lag after its use, but it's powerful if used on a weakpoint: in this case, the back of an opponent. It costs one Steam unit to use, but it's not the greatest move to use if the opponent is facing you. However, it does much more damage when sweet-spotted, making it a situational attack.

Up Special - Jump Booster/Rocket Pack - Henry pulls out the Jump Booster as his boiler temporarily becomes the Rocket Pack. Like Diddy Kong, you can hold this move down longer to increase height and horizontal distance. However, while the default uncharged range is greater than Diddy's, holding the button for a bigger jump uses more steam, which can leave you vulnerable when landing if not careful.

Down Special - Overwatch - While it appears to be another Counter, Overwatch is quite unique. If the opponent is in the midst of using a projectile attack, using Overwatch as it's about to hit will cause time to slow down temporarily (a la Shulk's Vision) while Henry fires his Eagle Rifle at the slowed-down opponent, helping to ensure a hit. This uses the same amount of steam as the normal Eagle Rifle attack to prevent it from being spammed. A purely projectile counter attack that isn't a reflector. If the foe is on the ground, it also has the chance to stun briefly.

Final Smash - Eagle Strike - Henry takes aim at the foe with his Eagle Rifle and, if it connects, stuns the foe. Afterwards, Henry takes out an eagle-shaped explosive and lobs it at the foe, yelling "Let Freedom Ring!" as Red, White, and BOOM plays in the background. The resulting explosion has extremely high knockback. Similar to Robin's Pair Up, if this move connects, Henry's steam tank is completely refilled.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
My argument isn’t that BotW is too new to be represented (we already know it is). My argument is that its role in the game was probably decided before it became a smash hit.

Without the knowledge of how popular BotW would become, there’s no reason to overhaul Link’s classic moveset of items he’s had for 30 years in favor of something representing that one game specifically.
Not sure I understand the first part. Are you saying we already know BotW is represented, or are you saying we already know BotW is too new?

Again, I don't think Link is getting a huge overhaul, but if he were, it's not like Sakurai didn't have plenty of time to change the moveset. BotW came out in March 2017. That's well over a year and a half before Smash Switch's earliest speculated release (September 2018). Sakurai could easily find some spare time to look at BotW's popularity and consider adding some new moves to Link.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
OK am I actually the only one that has no issue with Pyra's (and Mythra to include her) design? Women wear short/revealing clothing whilst fighting and traveling. I don't care if a bunch of nerds would fawn over her, it's not a problem with her then. It's a stylistic/fashion choice that is perfectly normal.

Undoubtedly the model will probably be tweaked for Smash but it's such a shame, really. Not everything has be to be sexualized despite "hints" at it.
Honestly I like Mythra's design (stupidly short dress aside) but pyra's is just ugly to me, the super tiny booty shorts and huge cut outs on the side only make it worse, plus her entire body being red just irks me. My main issue though is that malos has a complete set of armour yet the other god sword is super sexualized for no damn reason.

Edit: also her boobs, what the actual **** were they thinking?

Last edited:

MomijiInubashiri630

Smash Apprentice
Just throwing my hat into here about Daisy, I don't think she really has as much going for her. "Plantlife" representation? That's a really really big stretched excuse to just find a good reason for her to be in. She has been in sports games, yes, but does that already give her a big enough moveset? Peach already has Mario Sports objects in her side Smash. To me, she has nothing going for her other than being a Peach alt, or at very very very most a clone. Not much originality you can go with her.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Also, if people consider Donkey Kong Country to be considered it's own series, then what about WarioWare? Mario Kart? Mario Tennis? Mario Party? Mario Golf?
Because Donkey Kong Country and WarioWare have their own stories, set of characters, world, and overall theme and aesthetic.

Mario Kart/Tennis/Party/Golf all use characters and settings (or at least settings that feel like they’re from) from the main Mario games.

It makes sense because doctors have sheets and Doctor Mario is Mario in a getup. Daisy is not Peach in a yellow dress and a different hair colour.

Still, I don't see to get why people think she would be like Peach, and they ask for a flat version of Mario instead!
Because she doesn’t really do anything besides being a parallel to Peach. Even in Super Mario Land, her first and most prominent appearance, she was just a princess for Mario to save. She was later brought back specifically to serve as a partner to Peach.

Paper Mario on the other hand functions different from Mario, especially the Mario we have in Smash. He’s from a totally different genre for pete’s sake. Paper Mario doesn’t use the FLUDD or the Cape. Smash/Main Series Mario doesn’t use a hammer or have helpers.

Not sure I understand the first part. Are you saying we already know BotW is represented, or are you saying we already know BotW is too new?
That we know it’s being represented.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Topic: You know what I just realized who would be a plausible clone character today, Detective ****ing Pikachu. His game come out just in time in Japan in early 2016 with a DP movie announced around that same time. Sakurai could add him last-minute for development. How do you feel about that Detective Pikachu's chances being in Smash Switch?

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Sure! The full moveset is still a WIP, but here's a general description of the proposed playstyle alongside the special moves.

General Playstyle Description: Henry Fleming's main gimmick comes in the form of his steam tank: a meter is displayed by his HUD portrait, a la Little Mac's KO Meter, that displays steam in a cylindrical tank. As Henry uses his specials, the steam in the tank depletes. Upon depletion, Henry's specials become incredibly weak. Steam can be restored by staying in place or not using your specials for a while.The less he uses these moves, the more steam he has, and the more damage these specials do. A different take on a resource-management type of character. However, for his non-Special moves, Henry is actually quite adept at close-quarter combat. Being that he is a Civil War veteran, he's trained in all sort of combat. For example, his throws are based around his special Push mechanic from the game, while his pummel involves hitting the foe over the head with the butt of his rifle. His Side Smash could make use of a shoulder bash move. Henry's seen war and has done his training, leading to a sort of militaristic and professional vibe to his normal moves, with a few steam-powered projectiles intermixed.

Neutral Special - Eagle Rifle - Henry draws his rifle and takes aim, while aiming, he can move slowly to keep the target in his sight. Afterwards, he shoots out three steam-fired bullets with comic-book aesthetics (to get around the whole "no real guns" thing more easily). To add a bit of fun, it is possible to adjust Henry's aim mid-fire, allowing for projectile pressure and mix-ups, or to catch an opponent if they try to jump away. This move uses about one third of Henry's Steam Tank.

Side Special - Steam Crossbow - Henry draws out his subweapon, the Steam Crossbow, and fires a single bolt in a rather quick strike. It has a bit of lag after its use, but it's powerful if used on a weakpoint: in this case, the back of an opponent. It costs one Steam unit to use, but it's not the greatest move to use if the opponent is facing you. However, it does much more damage when sweet-spotted, making it a situational attack.

Up Special - Jump Booster/Rocket Pack - Henry pulls out the Jump Booster as his boiler temporarily becomes the Rocket Pack. Like Diddy Kong, you can hold this move down longer to increase height and horizontal distance. However, while the default uncharged range is greater than Diddy's, holding the button for a bigger jump uses more steam, which can leave you vulnerable when landing if not careful.

Down Special - Overwatch - While it appears to be another Counter, Overwatch is quite unique. If the opponent is in the midst of using a projectile attack, using Overwatch as it's about to hit will cause time to slow down temporarily (a la Shulk's Vision) while Henry fires his Eagle Rifle at the slowed-down opponent, helping to ensure a hit. This uses the same amount of steam as the normal Eagle Rifle attack to prevent it from being spammed. A purely projectile counter attack that isn't a reflector. If the foe is on the ground, it also has the chance to stun briefly.

Final Smash - Eagle Strike - Henry takes aim at the foe with his Eagle Rifle and, if it connects, stuns the foe. Afterwards, Henry takes out an eagle-shaped explosive and lobs it at the foe, yelling "Let Freedom Ring!" as Red, White, and BOOM plays in the background. The resulting explosion has extremely high knockback. Similar to Robin's Pair Up, if this move connects, Henry's steam tank is completely refilled.
I really like the concept surrounding steam powered weapons as well as incorporating Codename S.T.E.A.M. mechanics onto Fleming. This really sounds like it would make for a fun character to play.

Last edited:

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Topic: You know what I just realized who would be a plausible clone character today, Detective ****ing Pikachu. His game come out just in time in Japan in early 2016 with a DP movie announced around that same time. Sakurai could add him last-minute for development. How do you feel about that Detective Pikachu's chances being in Smash Switch?
Not a clone, a costume like Alph is enough.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion

This sounds pretty fun. Smash doesn't really have a gun-totting army boy yet, and its been proven to work in other fighting games. Its almost like how many unique things you could do with a swordsman.

Two nitpicks here:

1) How do you envision the 'comic-book' bullets in your mind's eye? Do you think Bayonetta's pistols get around the 'no real guns' guideline & why?
2) Have you considered the possibility of remapping Overwatch to Neutral instead? I mean, the steam mechanic is pretty integral, so its only restricted to specials, right? I just thought Overwatch was one of the most unique selling points about Codename S.T.E.A.M. that it would make an iconic, low risk, bread-and-butter Neutral. Guess the Eagle fire could be a Jab/Forward Tilt/Neutral Air with slower, less hungry steam expenditure?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
In the game itself, Detective Pikachu explicitly can't use any Pokémon attacks.

Even as a person who advocates for Captain Toad, THAT is something I can't see flying in Smash because of GameFreak/TPCI themselves being so overprotective of the franchise.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Daisy can incorporate a sports moveset. Model her after the 80's Gladiator show.

Daisy can use Mariokart staples like boost rings and turbo arrows to accelerate around the stage and build her movement options, while giving her a power boost. To showcase her rough and tumble attitude over Peach's girly demeanor, have her pluck out Bullet Bills as an Up Smash, sending them zooming into the sky.
If Sakurai wanted a Mario sports representative, why wouldn’t he use the character that is not only more popular and unique in design, but was also created specifically for Mario sports games?

She can ride a metal daisy with razor petals for a side Smash and hold rising dandelion fluff bombs for an Up special.
What? Is that from something?

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
ummmmm actually u can't have detective pikachu in this game without intentionally misrepresenting him bc he can't do any moves in his source game

This post brought to you by the "Captain Toad can't jump" foundation.

For real though, that might actually pose a problem for Sakurai.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
If I was a gambling man Id put money on Detective being a Pikachu costume. If they were to clone him, theyd also have to get the voice actors together, and make some move changes. How do you envision him working as a cline? Slower but stronger? Faster but weaker? Something else?

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I never really thought about it, but he could happen. He fits the Octoling criteria: Promotion for a huge thing.

MomijiInubashiri630

Smash Apprentice
He's really just Pikachu with a hat, I think he would be a better alt for Pikachu. I don't really support it, not that I don't like the character, but I don't see much going for him as a clone.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Smash Pikachu is notorious for having hats. A detective hat seems inevitable.

A clone, though? Detective Pikachu is not truly fleshed out from Pikachu design wise to be an alt with its own palettes imo.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
That would feel, ummm... awkward? I mean, why not give Pikachu his hat as an alt? But then again, we got Dark Pit, so visual redundancy notwithstanding. Give me Danny DeVito as VA & we have a deal.

Now that we're on detectives, now you have me gushing for a detective-type fighter! Reminds me of UMvC3 Phoenix Wright. But which character (regardless of license) would sell an investigator moveset the best?

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

I love XC2 and fully support Rex & Pyra for Smash, but if you’re going to tell me that Pyra and Mythra’s designs are explicitly sexual you’re out of your mind.

This isn’t just “short shorts” that a real woman would feasibly wear. There’s giant openings near the breasts and hips for Mythra and Pyra respectively, that serve no function other than to accentuate those features. Not to mention the shorts and skirt that are designed specifically to expose as much of the upper thigh as possible.

It’s not sexist or anything. It’s just sexualization and is something a woman would only wear if they are going to a convention or something.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Just throwing my hat into here about Daisy, I don't think she really has as much going for her. "Plantlife" representation? That's a really really big stretched excuse to just find a good reason for her to be in. She has been in sports games, yes, but does that already give her a big enough moveset? Peach already has Mario Sports objects in her side Smash. To me, she has nothing going for her other than being a Peach alt, or at very very very most a clone. Not much originality you can go with her.
"Representing plantlife" isn't the right way to phrase it. Rather, she'll be using plants, specifically flower petals and full flowers, as her attacks. Daisy combines flower petals with sports gear, but it wouldn't be off center for her to use petals as the whole attack. Peach having sports gear in one of her moves doesn't prevent Daisy from being unique, especially when Daisy has a whole theme she uses with the gear.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
This sounds pretty fun. Smash doesn't really have a gun-totting army boy yet, and its been proven to work in other fighting games. Its almost like how many unique things you could do with a swordsman.

Two nitpicks here:

1) How do you envision the 'comic-book' bullets in your mind's eye? Do you think Bayonetta's pistols get around the 'no real guns' guideline & why?
2) Have you considered the possibility of remapping Overwatch to Neutral instead? I mean, the steam mechanic is pretty integral, so its only restricted to specials, right? I just thought Overwatch was one of the most unique selling points about Codename S.T.E.A.M. that it would make an iconic, low risk, bread-and-butter Neutral. Guess the Eagle fire could be a Jab/Forward Tilt/Neutral Air with slower, less hungry steam expenditure?
As far the the more comic book aesthetics surrounding his bullets, honestly just having comic book sound effects written on the screen when he shoots them is more than enough. Plus the Eagle Rifle isn't shaped like a real gun or anything like that since it takes the form of an eagle, so if Bayonetta could get in, Henry doesn't have to worry about it.
For a better explanation, look at the effects surrounding Henry and the other characters here:

And yeah, remapping is definitely something that's been on my mind. As I said, it's still a work in progress, haha.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
If I was a gambling man Id put money on Detective being a Pikachu costume. If they were to clone him, theyd also have to get the voice actors together, and make some move changes. How do you envision him working as a cline? Slower but stronger? Faster but weaker? Something else?
I would imagine Detective Pikachu as a slower but more powerful version of Pikachu, just like Dr. Mario with Mario. This is just based on what people said about the character.

Now I suddenly am actually ok with the idea.

Last edited:

MomijiInubashiri630

Smash Apprentice
"Representing plantlife" isn't the right way to phrase it. Rather, she'll be using plants, specifically flower petals and full flowers, as her attacks. Daisy combines flower petals with sports gear, but it wouldn't be off center for her to use petals as the whole attack. Peach having sports gear in one of her moves doesn't prevent Daisy from being unique, especially when Daisy has a whole theme she uses with the gear.
That would kind of be Lip's stick but it's not Lip using a flower it's Daisy. I don't really think that's much as good either...and again for her sports things, that does not give too much either that is not already done. Wii Fit Trainer already has her soccer ball head pound, Peach already has the thing I mentioned which represents the spin-offs enough already, Waluigi in his assist trophy uses his tennis racket. What else could she go off of that isn't already done? All of these are already present in Smash. She doesn't bring much to the table

Last edited:

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
I think Pyra is actually really well covered in comparison to other Xenoblade characters we have in smash.

And just as well covered as Samus to be honest.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think Pyra is actually really well covered in comparison to other Xenoblade characters we have in smash.

And just as well covered as Samus to be honest.
The issue is less of what percent of skin is showing, and more so that "less clothing" and "more sexualized" aren't the same thing. Those alts show, technically, more skin, but they're believable athletic/beachwear. Pyra's outfit, meanwhile, is absolutely more sexualized.

And that's all I'm saying on Pyra so this doesn't drag on forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom