• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Pyra's design is no obstacle to her getting in smash, it's just a ****ing terrible design that makes me dislike a character that would otherwise be whatever. Mythra is better tho since not only is her design more aesthetically pleasing (still bad but better), she's a significantly more interesting character. Solo mythra would be the best XC2 character even though it would never happen.

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
The issue is less of what percent of skin is showing, and more so that "less clothing" and "more sexualized" aren't the same thing. Those alts show, technically, more skin, but they're believable athletic/beachwear. Pyra's outfit, meanwhile, is absolutely more sexualized.

And that's all I'm saying on Pyra so this doesn't drag on forever.
And of course, Pyra's artist does hentai, but yeah I don't want Pyra to set the thread on fire today. :p

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
The issue is less of what percent of skin is showing, and more so that "less clothing" and "more sexualized" aren't the same thing. Those alts show, technically, more skin, but they're believable athletic/beachwear. Pyra's outfit, meanwhile, is absolutely more sexualized.

I do agree that Pyra is sexualized, but so is Samus, even in her standard appearence. Same goes to Palutena and Bayonetta. The later literally rips her clothes during smash attacks.
I don't see it as a problem as long as we also get some Shulks and Ikes in the way as well.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I do agree that Pyra is sexualized, but so is Samus, even in her standard appearence. Same goes to Palutena and Bayonetta. The later literally rips her clothes during smash attacks.
I don't see it as a problem as long as we also get some Shulks and Ikes in the way as well.
This is why we need Max from Advance Wars.

He is swole and works well as a Captain Falcon clone. :troll:

MomijiInubashiri630

Smash Apprentice

That's really just a woman's body. There is nothing wrong with it. Shulk having him only have his underwear shorts thing on kind of proves you only really need to cover up the sexual organs with clothes and your good. "Showing off too much skin" is no excuse when we have Bayonetta.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Corrin and Bayonetta have less revealing clothes in Smash, Pyra can also get it, can we just close this subject?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Let's go back to Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. talk. That was a pleasant ten minutes.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Speaking of STEAM, am I the only one who always hated the idea of Abe Lincoln in Smash?

Let’s have a fictional representation of an old president in Smash. That’s totally not going to cause controversy.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
That would kind of be Lip's stick but it's not Lip using a flower it's Daisy.
Not only is Lip's Stick is an item, but its effect is far off from using spawning multitudes of petals and hitting with them.
I don't really think that's much as good either...and again for her sports things, that does not give too much either that is not already done. Wii Fit Trainer already has her soccer ball head pound, Peach already has the thing I mentioned which represents the spin-offs enough already, Waluigi in his assist trophy uses his tennis racket. What else could she go off of that isn't already done? All of these are already present in Smash. She doesn't bring much to the table
Peach and WFT having one sports move each doesn't prevent someone from having a full sports-based moveset. It's like saying :4greninja: wouldn't be unique because :4mario: already has F.L.U.D.D. And why should Assist Trophies interfere with newcomers' chances? They're not even playable.

And like I said, Daisy uses her petals alongside the sports equipment, which is already quite unique. Peach just swings her club and racket. Mario Sports games typically involve the characters bringing in other elements that go with their theme. The attacks in the Daisy moveset I made either had petals alongside sports stuff, or the petals were the focus of the attacks.

Other than petals, crystals have shown up a couple times as Daisy's special moves. Also Daisy can use other stuff from non-sports games if necessary.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
For a new subject, who are the real shoo-ins for Smash other than Ice Climbers?
That's a hard question, because Inklings were the only ones that I would've been willing to bet money on. Nobody else has that vibe of "oh yeah, it's so obvious they're gonna get in, no point even speculating".

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Speaking of STEAM, am I the only one who always hated the idea of Abe Lincoln in Smash?

Let’s have a fictional representation of an old president in Smash. That’s totally not going to cause controversy.
I mean honestly the thing I dislike the most about the idea is that Abe wasn't even a playable character. He was the Nick Fury of the team, while Henry is the Captain America.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion

I second this. Its pretty disrespectful. This coming from the Nasu nerd who secretly fantasizes over Saber & Shirou or Kiritsugu imagined in Smash.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
honestly this is unpopular but i think squirtle and ivysaur have a decent chance

they did have unique movesets, if they're bringing back wolf and ice climbers then it'd be a prime opportunity to bring back Ivysquirt, especially if the game is being built off of Smash 4 since then it wouldn't be made from the ground up.

It really wouldn't lol. There would be like 0 controversy. No more than there being a mii of him or elijah wood for miis

. . .why the hell were Abraham Lincoln, Elijah Wood, and Ice-T chosen anyway. That was weird AF.
:061:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Apart from confirmed ones (Mario, Link,Inklings) and bulk of the Smash For veterans, literally noone.

Wolf, those are the only ones that are shoo-ins imo. Not shoo ins but I consider Dixie, Bandana Dee and Isabelle EXTREMELY likely
I like to think like that as well, but I have doubts about Isabelle, considering Villager feels like some of moves were hard to place.

And like I said, Daisy uses her petals alongside the sports equipment, which is already quite unique. The attacks in the moveset I made either had petals alongside sports stuff, or the petals were the focus of the attacks.
Every character in Smash have some core fighting style their moveset based around. Petals and sports really don't sound like that. You can create a character with little references (like Zelda's moveset) but it's harder to do than ones with clear style (Ike or Little Mac). Daisy has neither an especially core fighting idea nor is essential enough to create one with a bit of pushing.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I'm hedging my bets here: Isabelle, Bandana Waddle Dee, & Rex & Pyra/Mythra are all shoe-ins. Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, & FE16 lord/title character are extremely likely, but not guarenteed.
Springman is way more likely than rex imo, and I don't think either are getting in the base roster regardless

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
I'm hedging my bets here: Isabelle, Bandana Waddle Dee, & Rex & Pyra/Mythra are all shoe-ins. Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, & FE16 lord/title character are extremely likely, but not guarenteed.
If anyone from Xenoblade 2 is a "shoe-in" then an AMRS character is a "shoe-in"

Anyone who thinks any character is a shoo-in or shoo-out(?) is setting themselves up for disappointment. Especially if that character is one they like or dislike respectively.

EDIT: Guess I should elaborate.
Let's say you love Dixie Kong. If you think she is a shoo-in, when she doesn't get in, you're going to be pissed because you expected her to get in. So it isn't just general disappointment but the disappointment of being wrong too.

Let's say you hate K rool. If you think there is no way an "irrelevant" character gets in smash, if he does get in, you'll be pissed for pretty much the same reasons.

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Quite honestly, a lot of the would-be newcomers have something that holds them back from being considered true "shoo-ins". Bandana Dee and Isabelle are the closest to shoo-ins, they only have a "if Sakurai wants them in" issue.

Rex and Elma- Timing of XBC2 and SSB5's development will decide who gets in as the Xenoblade newcomer.

Decidueye: Even though he didn't make the top ten in popularity, and lack a strong anime presence, those don't matter when he would have to be added in 2016 way before S/M released. He has competition with Incineroar and Mimikyu who can also represent Gen 7 just as well.

Spring Man- May be way too early to be considered.

Captain Toad- Has the "can't jump" problem, which a recent GameXplain video addressed would not be a problem, but who knows with Sakurai.

King K. Rool: Has the ballot as a crutch, but popularity doesn't always get you in. Dixie has a lot of advantages over him like relevance, was considered before, and probably easier to do.

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Arms also came out 6 months before xenoblade 2 did which I think gives him a bigger chance than rex
Is there a Famitsu column or interview you can refer me to that claims game release windows matter in character selection? I keep hearing this one come up a lot, and even then it sounds a bit fishy depending on when Smash 5 pre-production began.

Anyone who thinks any character is a shoo-in or shoo-out(?) is setting themselves up for disappointment. Especially if that character is one they like or dislike respectively.
All depends how much you can separate reality from fantasy. You shouldn't act like you believe you know something will happen in the future if a character means so much to you.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Every character in Smash have some core fighting style their moveset based around.
I honestly might argue against that. What's Pac-Man's fighting style? His moveset is a mashup of different stuff with no consistent theme. What's Mario's fighting style? Power-ups? He literally only has two in his moveset.

Unless you're talking about playstyle, as in "rushdown" or "camper".
Petals and sports really don't sound like that. You can create a character with little references (like Zelda's moveset) but it's harder to do than ones with clear style (Ike or Little Mac). Daisy has neither an especially core fighting idea nor is essential enough to create one with a bit of pushing.
Multiple fans have already made movesets for her. It's not that hard, especially not for Sakurai, and especially not when Daisy already has her own special moves in games she's playable in.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I honestly might argue against that. What's Pac-Man's fighting style? His moveset is a mashup of different stuff with no consistent theme. What's Mario's fighting style? Power-ups? He literally only has two in his moveset.
He'd probably a trap user. All of his specials are used for stage control, placing his items/opponent/himself to whereever he wants.

Mario is simply an all-around fighter in SF style: His original specials; the Fireball, Super-Jump Punch, and Mario Tornado are direct lifts from Ryu’s Hadouken, Shoryuken, and Hurricane Kick.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
I believe we won't get an ARMS or Xenoblade 2 character in. Just because we have shulk does not mean anything.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I don't see any talk about Fatal Frame whenever Nintendo unrepped series are brought up.

I mean I also don't see anything for Devil's Third but seeing how panned that I can understand why not...

Any thoughts on these series getting anything outside of a trophy?

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I missed a plant life character discussion and no one mentioned the goddess of nature??
I would ****in' love it if Viridi was a playable character in Smash 5. All the KI:U characters were great personality-wise, but Viridi really stuck out to me.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't see any talk about Fatal Frame whenever Nintendo unrepped series are brought up.

I mean I also don't see anything for Devil's Third but seeing how panned that I can understand why not...

I'd love to see a Fatal Frame character at least as an assist trophy it doesn't seem likely. Or at least there's not much reason to think one could get in when not in last game, aside from "Nintendo is branching out lately" or "why not".

Little against them, little in favor of them.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Is there a Famitsu column or interview you can refer me to that claims game release windows matter in character selection? I keep hearing this one come up a lot, and even then it sounds a bit fishy depending on when Smash 5 pre-production began.
There's nothing that prevents ARMS or Xenoblade 2 from getting a newcomer. People are just basing their opinions off of how previous Smash games were handled, as Sakurai very rarely picks characters from games that were released after development started.

Personally, I don't think Spring Man and Rex/Pyra are "too late" for this Smash. Both of their games had been in development LONG before production on Smash Switch officially began, so saying Sakurai didn't know about these characters might have not been the case, especially if Nintendo was working with him on adding these newcomers.

I'm definitely not cocky enough to give these guys anything higher than a 50/50 chance, but I really think people should stop completely writing these guys off just because of conflicting release dates and speculatory timeframes. Even if Sakurai wasn't sure how popular these characters would be, they would still have the advantage of relevancy regardless.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

I know this a subject a certain someone would love to discuss, but she won't be here for a while.

But I will say this, Fatal Frame's issue is that they are also a Tecmo property and someone more famous like Ryu Hayabusa would have more priority. Or even a Dead or Alive character.

At best, I will expect stage. But a character that does have a gimmick with the Camera Obscura would be cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom