• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Lmao Marina's facebook had this to say

"Rumors of privacy leak on the latest version of the super smash bros game report a link to our company. All these rumors only support one idea, journalism is not limited to searching google.
Indeed, the person involved in this "rumor", if so, is no longer present in our company since November 2016., which has not put its linkedin profile up to date, some wanted to make a rapprochement with The Marina workshops that cannot exist.
Namco is a company we have worked with and with which we want to work again, this is not the case currently for the launch of super smash bros ultimate. These rumours are therefore discrediting our widely recognized professionalism, particularly with regard to our confidentiality commitments.
We are now contacting all these sites and namco / Nintendo to remove this false information and evaluate the judicial suites to be given.
The Marina Team."

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
You know how people have talked about two directs? Regardless if the leak is true or not, couldn't we get a 50 fact extravaganza and a Smash direct?

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
Honestly the Chorus Kids are part of why I think/hope the leak isn't real. Getting them who don't seem to have anything going for them over characters like Dixie and Skull Kid (the latter of which having quite a bit of evidence for his inclusion) baffles me.
Honestly these people are part of why I lost hope in Smash fandoms. Getting them who don't seem to do any research before calling characters "don't have anything going for them" over polite users who respect others or people who actually do the research (the latter of which is much better) baffles me.

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
Who has this much time on their hand to work a (supposedly) full time job, hype themselves up for the Grinch movie, and also make an elaborate image leak moving many characters in the mural, making 7 new renders with characters details you could easily see Sakurai doing (see Isaac and Chorus conductor), not to mention taking time out of their day to snapchat friends. I think there's one lead we've been neglecting in regards to Eric and that's Insomniacs anonymous.

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
I agree but tell that to people who cried because of Wii Fit and Duck Hunt content last game.
I actually liked using WFT quite a lot, she was one of my secondaries in Smash 4. Duck Hunt was one I couldn't quite wrap my head around in terms of playstyle, but I loved how he was represented in Smash 4.

These two were honestly some of my favorite reveals for the game, just because of how off the wall they were. Oddball choices are among my favorites to see make it into Smash, which is why I loved seeing Isabelle make it into Ultimate.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Well THAT is something.

My source still told me that their Microsoft Source:

"heard of all of the characters in this leak, but haven't had any solid proof and weren't sure to believe it until now. The only one they were sure on was Banjo, now they are sure on all. "

and that the Microsoft Source that "heard about the characters beforehand also heard inceneroar, so they are trying to figure out what happened to inceneroar or if he was just leak bait or what. "

Those are the exact quotes from what I was given, and yes I do still trust this source is credible.

I'll try and see what they think now that the company here is denying involvement and this "eric bricard" has apparently not worked for them for years.
Wait a minute WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA! You have sources? That at least kinda corroborate this? That's... kinda huge.

So humor me people and put on your thinking caps.

If we get Mach Rider and Chorus Kids as playable characters, how would they be incorporated? What sort of game play would they have? Ken and the others are easy but what about these two?
Regarding Mach Rider... y'know how Sakurai bought that Vifam model, specifically for the gun, right?
Vifam Gun Stance.jpg

Look at how he holds the gun. The trigger in one hand and the... handle... thing... in the other.

What if the Mach Rider has his bike as part of his moveset? Holds the gun in one hand, holds the bike handle in the other, like how Vifam holds his gun? And Sakurai needed the gun/handle for reference on how to animate something like that?

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
So not sure if this has been brought up...it's not evidence against the leak but it's a thought to speculate and discuss.

I am a huge believer that we have one direct left, meaning if this is real we have to have 5 unique character reveals. I've seen some people try to do the math of how long that would take based on trailers alone, but that's not it. They would need time dedicated to how they play as well as probably a short showcase of the stage they are bringing (many assume they're coming with a stage). The Simon portion of the 8.8 direct, minus talk about Richter, is about 5 minutes. That means 25 minutes to get through these 5 newcomers, 20 if we wanna assume they'll speed through some. That's still about as long as the 8.8 direct and Smash E3 portion.

Now the 50 fact extravaganza was 35 minutes. So that gives another 10-15 to play with but face it, we still have so much to talk about and I bet Spirits alone can take up 10-15 minutes.

So like I said not evidence, but either we are looking at a 45-60 minute direct (unprecedented for a single game), multiple directs and reveals in November, or it's just not likely.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I personally don't think Eric IS the leaker, someone else (who is still working at Marina) is impersonating him.
I still think it's a custodian or a friend he invited over for lunch without permission because that's basically what happened with the ESRB leak. Eric steps out to take wizzaroonie ("I'll be right back"), Snapchater takes out phone on the sly while he's out and quickly puts it away at the slightest noise, Eric doesn't suspect a thing when he gets back. The ESRB thing supposedly happened because someone shared it with a friend trusting that they'd keep it a secret.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
Ok? But what is the relation with what I said? I said that being relieved if this leak turned out fake won't have any sense
Even if a leak is fake, it doesn't necessary mean the leak character aren't going to make it in Smash (or someday). I still very much want Isaac in Smash, even if I don't think it is real yet. But it is precisely because finding out a leak is fake would be upsetting that we stay pessimistic and make sure Team Real don't get shot down hard at the time of reveal. Better to be upset now than later imo.

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
Honestly these people are part of why I lost hope in Smash fandoms. Getting them who don't seem to do any research before calling characters "don't have anything going for them" over polite users who respect others or people who actually do the research (the latter of which is much better) baffles me.
My bad, apologies. It's really more about their designs for me. I admit having a music-based moveset could be cool (like Jigglypuff's Sing but weaponized?). I just never was into Rhythm heaven. Then again, Wii Fit and Duck Hunt got in so *shrug*

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Here is a rough idea of how I always saw Mach Rider working,

The playstyle would center around her down special, Gear Shift. Mach Rider would have three gears to shift between, with the default being second gear. If you press it again, it shifts to third gear, in which Mach Rider gets a serious speed boost and a power boost on moves that use the bike itself, especially ramming attacks. The power of her gun, however, is lowered to symbolize a drop in accuracy. Handling also takes a significant hit, making moves require more commitment due to low traction. Shifting again drops it to first gear makes Mach Rider's bike move slower, but precision based moves like the gun do more damage and even have a slight homing effect. However, bike based moves do less damage due to lacking momentum. Second gear is the balanced, default version.

Other special moves include the machine gun as side special (with its effects listed above), an Oil Slick neutral special wherein her bike shoots a jet of oil onto the ground and decreases enemy traction, and an Explosion up special where Mach Rider and the bike both explode into multicolored fragments before rematerializing in the direction you input. The Final Smash would bring foes to a post-apocalyptic hellscape as they're swarmed by aliens, before Mach Rider tosses an exploding barrel at them to finish them off.

That's the general direction I think they'll go.

D

Deleted member

All I know is that I'm having more Wendy's chili tonight. They deserve my patronage.

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
A @NintendoActu source has had the opportunity to call the supposed leaker through his workplace, who claimed to be was unaware of the situation and said he hasn't been contacted by any partners about that particular subject.

Translated from https://twitter.com/NintendoActu/status/1055457829769883648
I'd guess he's unaware of the situation because his friend took it from his snapchat. He didn't post it himself as far as I'm aware.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Lmao Marina's facebook had this to say

"Rumors of privacy leak on the latest version of the super smash bros game report a link to our company. All these rumors only support one idea, journalism is not limited to searching google.
Indeed, the person involved in this "rumor", if so, is no longer present in our company since November 2016., which has not put its linkedin profile up to date, some wanted to make a rapprochement with The Marina workshops that cannot exist.
Namco is a company we have worked with and with which we want to work again, this is not the case currently for the launch of super smash bros ultimate. These rumours are therefore discrediting our widely recognized professionalism, particularly with regard to our confidentiality commitments.
We are now contacting all these sites and namco / Nintendo to remove this false information and evaluate the judicial suites to be given.
The Marina Team."
:079:
There's now another company being investigated, the ride never ends.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
So not sure if this has been brought up...it's not evidence against the leak but it's a thought to speculate and discuss.

I am a huge believer that we have one direct left, meaning if this is real we have to have 5 unique character reveals. I've seen some people try to do the math of how long that would take based on trailers alone, but that's not it. They would need time dedicated to how they play as well as probably a short showcase of the stage they are bringing (many assume they're coming with a stage). The Simon portion of the 8.8 direct, minus talk about Richter, is about 5 minutes. That means 25 minutes to get through these 5 newcomers, 20 if we wanna assume they'll speed through some. That's still about as long as the 8.8 direct and Smash E3 portion.

Now the 50 fact extravaganza was 35 minutes. So that gives another 10-15 to play with but face it, we still have so much to talk about and I bet Spirits alone can take up 10-15 minutes.

So like I said not evidence, but either we are looking at a 45-60 minute direct (unprecedented for a single game), multiple directs and reveals in November, or it's just not likely.

Thoughts?
Wha- sorry, I blanked out after you said multiple directs. I think getting trailers out of the way isn't a big deal. Even if there is only two directs four at start and end, clones in the middle, most of them are done.

If there is just one big direct left, I can still see them cramming newcomers together, since there isn't much left.

Though, I don't have an idea about how this stuff actually done and just rambling.

CantGetRidOfTheRidley

Smash Apprentice

Thoughts?
One thing I'd like to note is there were rumors a while back of a character being revealed at the VGAs which are the night before Smash releases. It would certainly be a possibility.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Wait a minute WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA! You have sources? That at least kinda corroborate this? That's... kinda huge.

Regarding Mach Rider... y'know how Sakurai bought that Vifam model, specifically for the gun, right?
View attachment 171917

Look at how he holds the gun. The trigger in one hand and the... handle... thing... in the other.

What if the Mach Rider has his bike as part of his moveset? Holds the gun in one hand, holds the bike handle in the other, like how Vifam holds his gun? And Sakurai needed the gun/handle for reference on how to animate something like that?

Yeah go check out my newest video on it for all the details:

but that post you quoted is the major points.

I trust this source, so im extra on board with this leak though there are some "strange" things going on with incineroar and possibly other characters "insiders" have heard about, but i really dont know what to make of all that.

I'm past thinking "is this leak a fake" though, now its more like is nintendo using "leak bait" characters behind the scenes to catch people leaking OR prevent leaks or something? there is some odd stuff going on I guess but I trust my source and this leak is looking very real from what ive heard from them.

Antimatter042

Smash Apprentice
I still think it's a custodian or a friend he invited over for lunch without permission because that's basically what happened with the ESRB leak. Eric steps out to take wizzaroonie ("I'll be right back"), Snapchater takes out phone on the sly while he's out and quickly puts it away at the slightest noise, Eric doesn't suspect a thing when he gets back. The ESRB thing supposedly happened because someone shared it with a friend trusting that they'd keep it a secret.
That seems like the most plausible explanation at the moment, and makes the leak seem ever so slightly more likely. It makes me feel really bad for him because over the last few days I've been able to comfortably dismiss Eric as a madman and a fool for doing this, but now he seems to be the victim here. I hope that whatever becomes of this leak, if he wasn't complicit in this, he's able to get his life back on track in the event that this leak tanks his career.

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
My bad, apologies. It's really more about their designs for me. I admit having a music-based moveset could be cool (like Jigglypuff's Sing but weaponized?). I just never was into Rhythm heaven. Then again, Wii Fit and Duck Hunt got in so *shrug*
It's okay, just be aware every character do have some sort of support in some form, so try to have a little more respect next time you ask about a certain characters' chances.

And personally, I just think the lack of moveset argument is never valid to any chatacter, because Sakurai always manages to pull it off.

.....Except for Mii fighters.

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
So humor me people and put on your thinking caps.

If we get Mach Rider and Chorus Kids as playable characters, how would they be incorporated? What sort of game play would they have? Ken and the others are easy but what about these two?
Chorus Kids are pretty easy to think of a gimmick: Smash attacks and specials have certain timings that you press A or B on to maximize damage output. Intentially pressing out of sync could also have a few neat effects. Example, the Built to Scale nuts and bolts are a B projectile, pressing B out of sync shoots a fast but weak projectile for pestering while pressing B right on time shoots a stronger projectile for that little extra power and potential killing. A perfect shielder's worst nightmare with how not being rhythmic could be beneficial.

Mach Rider is the harder one to think of if she gets a unique moveset and isn't a Cap Falcon echo or semi-clone. She could have a Wario Bike side B that enables her to shoot ROB lazer projectiles as she moves forwards, meaning she can't camp and they're used for approaching safely. Her normals could consist of using her knife and the mech gun Sakurai bought ages ago. Apparently Mach Rider is based of Kamen Rider? That sorta stuff is ripe with over-the-top weapons and fighting moves, so they could take inspiration from there.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
Why

Why's Team Fake gotta be the bad guys :(
:demon: Because it is better.

Hold up what the hell’s going on. Is it fake or not?
We are currently checking if the leak could be real or fake based on whether this leaker is from a company that may or may not being working with Nintendo. Currently one flat out deny any involvement with Smash related stuff, the other has no contract with Nintendo as far as we know. Still debatable as leak is very professional.

D

Deleted member

If this chat is where the X-Smashers are made, i want to be Quicksilver.

Not any of the movie versions, but the comic book one with the green suit.

CCub

Smash Rookie
I'm unsure of how big the leak is outside of the Smash community - it's easy to follow Smash sources and think it's the biggest thing ever, but I am just waiting for Nintendo's response to the situation. I don't expect any mention of the leak, be it shutting it down or anything, but a response could be as simple as at least putting a date on a Direct, assuming we will get another Smash Direct as Sakurai mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom