• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Polan

Smash Lord
Good call. Please be civil towards other users, no matter what you are replying to.
not really, no. that doesn't say 'this isn't a port' that says 'this is a new entry into the franchise'. mega man legacy collection is a 'new entry to the mega man franchise' even though it's a ****ing port. try again.
imma get infracted for this but...jesus dude can you not ****ing read? nintendo is repeatedly calling it a new title on a investor meeting (where, you know, you're not supposed to lie) they are advertising it as a new game, and they are putting it at the forefront of their E3 plans. do you need sakurai to come into your house and tell you that its a new game or will you still continue to insist that its a ****ing port despite all the evidence against it?

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
It's not a port, if it was a port they would've revealed it as a port and shown it then and there, if it was a port they wouldn't be calling it "Super Smash Bros (Temp)", if it was a port they wouldn't have dropped that teaser and then left us in the dark for months.

This clearly isn't a ****ing port can yall stop with that now?

Yeah I never said that, I was talking about the character themselves, not the game, the monster hunter avatar character isn't really recognizable or iconic.
We will just have to agree to disagree on that. Which is fine. Who would you choose instead?

Also, 1000% on the whole “not being a port” thing. I can’t believe that’s still even being discussed.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
There's always gunna be it's a port people because where it is, is a port plus, runs on the same engine, or is a completely new game Nintendo will probably never call it a port. That's bad marketing. So there's no use arguing it to people that won't except anything else even when Nintendo is saying it's a new game.

One winged Devil

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4499-5767-3965
I think calling it a Port is disrespectful to the developers working on the game.

Maybe it's Stockholm Syndrome. We get Wii U port after Wii U port after Wii U port people almost prefer it if the new game is a "port"
The reason why we get so many Wii U ports is because the Wii U sold poorly.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Why yes, I hate myself for replying to this, but I had to because Jesus Christ, welcome to Mental Leap City.

in smash's context literally no one but ****ing sonic matters from that universe because people want to see sonic v mario, not tails v luigi.
I know a lot of people, including myself, would be down to seeing Tails, Knuckles, Shadow and or Eggman duking it out with Nintendo characters.

also when i say 'sonic-and-friends' (boy do i love having to clarify statements) i mean 4th-rate dustbin warriors like geno or birdo or dixie.
I'd run if I were you.

or we really gonna say that bandanna dee is on mario or link's level for draw?
What even is your argument here? No one ever said something like that. If you mean that "non all stars" shouldn't be in the game, well, with just knowing that Smash 64 had Jigglypuff of all people should be enough to tell you that Smash was never really meant for "all stars" only.

brawl got the roster about right as far as nintendo folks, and the picks have only gotten a bit more obscure outside of fire emblem (because FE needed 4 more reps this year, don't ask why cause i don't ****ing know).
Because they wanted someone from Awakening, a super popular recent game that pretty much launched the franchise into mainstream territory :4robinm:, they could make an easy clone :4lucina:, they wanted to bring back an old favorite :4feroy:, and, against Sakurai's own judgment, they wanted to promote the new game that just came out in Japan :4corrin:.

The Smash team never adds characters because a series "needs" another character, they add characters based on the character's own merits, be it their uniqueness, relevancy, popularity, marketability, or just how easy they are to implement.

i mean, they had to turn to a ****ing unfinished design for the new pokemon rep in smash 4.
Probably because promoting the new, concurrent generation of Pokemon is super profitable and people would love it? The same occurred with :ike: and:lucario:.
c'mon son, mario series was done with the base 4 (:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser:). at this point we're gonna actually and seriously begin considering koopatroopa or birdo (don't get me wrong, i ****ing love birdo, but that's a ****ing pipe dream and a half).
Again, they don't add characters for the sake of adding reps, they add them because of the character's own merits. Also, you're really straw grasping for arguments if you think that "at this point" we don't have anyone else to pull from the Mario series (Toad, Waluigi, Paper Mario and god forbid, Geno and Daisy).

robin's got chops because awakening pulled its weight and more, but the rest of them outside of wft were from dead series (ki, punchout, wiifit)
>Kid Icarus
>Dead series
>Back in 2012

lololololololololol

Also, reminder that recency isn't the only factor that come's into a character's inclusion. Little Mac was a fan favorite and he was moderately requested for Smash. And while Wii Fit Trainer is the ultimate troll pick, Wii Fit itself was a huge reason as to why the Wii was so damn successful.

or were really ****ing obscure (as in i could count the number of people on one hand who didn't respond 'who' or 'you mean she-hulk' when i talked about ****ing shulk).
iirc, Xenoblade was pretty popular in Japan, and it only got released in NA because of and extensive fan campaign to bring it and 2 other titles to the west. Obviously, the mainstream audience would've not known who Shulk was, since the game released so late in America and was and still is hard to get anyway.

But that's why Shulk needed to be in Smash: not only because hey, he's a unique fighter, but also because one of the biggest appeals of this series is to bring introduce all sorts of franchises to a big audience, usually in hope that it creates interest in given audience, and in the case of Xenoblade (and Fire Emblem back in Melee), that paid off big time.

3rd parties were solid, but three seems about good for the series. as sad as i'd be to see them go, i totally understand megs and pac getting the axe if this is a 'totally new-wowsies gaem' 'cause 3ps shouldn't stick around.
Oh yeah, let's drop off these insanely popular fan favorite video game icons because only Nintendo characters deserve to be in one of the most lucrative crossover series of all time. That's just the most brilliant marketing tactic!
it's also why so many folk think :4greninja: is one-and-done 'cause that's how the series as a ****ing whole works, you get the gen x poke flavor of the month then you move on and never mention the older ones again outside of the occasional remake or vc re-release (which we are deffo never gonna see now 'cause tegra got hella-owned so rip nintendo online lol)
Sakurai never cuts character because he wants to. Cuts only occur due to limitations, either time constraints, technical difficulties, or licensing cluster****s. If they end up cutting Greninja, it'd be because he was indeed low on the priority list, but we have no way of knowing that right now.

nearly half this **** was 3rd party begging and it started to get real-deal uncomfortable. now bayo's a special case since she's cozying up real hard to nintendo but cloud and ryu do look and feel super out-of-place, even if they are kinda cool.
Yeah, because that's totally unprecedented in Smash :snake:

so yeah, we're kinda at the raw core of nintendo's representation, and a lot of series (i'm looking at you loz) have a lot of one-off characters because nintendo ****ing HATES continuity (see: star fox and its TWO reboots). which is fine, have a core roster of standbys and rotate the rest around them in and out depending on whatever factors get considered when adding newbies. but don't kid yourself, the big star-draws are pretty much all out on the field, and we're just pretending that ****ing bloat is legitimate entries.
Bloat, or mildly obscure characters with actual followings? Just because you don't consider a character an all star, and for that matter, just because there are no more "all stars" left to include, doesn't mean that they're any less worthy of being in Smash as anyone else on the current roster.

And a rotating roster would be an abysmal idea. People already outcry loud and clear when a character gets cut, imagine the sheer meltdown if a majority of the roster was scrapped in favor of new characters. It's practically inevitable that when a character gets in Smash, no matter how obscure or "undeserving", they'll get a following, people will start growing fond of them, and they'll be heartbroken to find that they're not in the following game. This is specially true for characters that would otherwise be throwaways :falcon64::jigglypuff64::roymelee::drmario::pichumelee::icsmelee::gawmelee::rob::wolf::ivysaur::squirtle:, and yes, even :4wiifit::4mii::4lucina::4darkpit::4corrin::4cloud:.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
So, here's a little something fun to think about: if Nintendo were to partner up with Microsoft, Sony, and/or Valve to bring some of their characters to Smash, who do you think they would choose? I already have a few fair ideas in mind...

MICROSOFT

Banjo-Kazooie
Yeah, starting out with the obvious, but Phil Spencer has proven himself an advocate for the duo in Smash time and again. They're the most likely Microsoft candidates should such a miracle come to pass.

SONY
Ratchet & Clank
This is partly out of nepotism (heck, Ratchet's species is in my username, for Hylia's sake!), but if there were a likely candidate from Sony, these two fit the bill like a glove. Having access to almost a hundred guns - many of which are twice their size - there could be some creative moveset potential found here.

VALVE
Team Fortress (any of the mercenaries)
Despite the fact that they're all a bunch of illiterate, dangerously armed morons, the cast of TF2 is cartoonish and nonsensical enough to the point where any one of them could have an effective moveset when it comes to Smash. The big question is exactly which merc to use to best represent the game.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I wonder if battle bond will be a final smash or some sort of battle condition that gives you a boost.

It's an ability, not a Mega Evolution.

Originality

Smash Journeyman
So, here's a little something fun to think about: if Nintendo were to partner up with Microsoft, Sony, and/or Valve to bring some of their characters to Smash, who do you think they would choose? I already have a few fair ideas in mind...

MICROSOFT

Banjo-Kazooie
Yeah, starting out with the obvious, but Phil Spencer has proven himself an advocate for the duo in Smash time and again. They're the most likely Microsoft candidates should such a miracle come to pass.

SONY
Ratchet & Clank
This is partly out of nepotism (heck, Ratchet's species is in my username, for Hylia's sake!), but if there were a likely candidate from Sony, these two fit the bill like a glove. Having access to almost a hundred guns - many of which are twice their size - there could be some creative moveset potential found here.

VALVE
Despite the fact that they're all a bunch of illiterate, dangerously armed morons, the cast of TF2 is cartoonish and nonsensical enough to the point where any one of them could have an effective moveset when it comes to Smash. The big question is exactly which merc to use to best represent the game.
Well I wouldn't mind entertaining the thought of a TF2 character. I'm thinking it would either be Scout or Heavy. Leaning more towards Scout if they find an effective way to censor him.

Also whoa Ratchet would be totally cool I hadn't even thought of them. Banjo is 100% the one to get in if Microsoft is ever involved, no doubt, but I'd love to see reactions to Master Chief.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Well I wouldn't mind entertaining the thought of a TF2 character. I'm thinking it would either be Scout or Heavy. Leaning more towards Scout if they find an effective way to censor him.

Also whoa Ratchet would be totally cool I hadn't even thought of them. Banjo is 100% the one to get in if Microsoft is ever involved, no doubt, but I'd love to see reactions to Master Chief.
I was just thinking about that, and honestly Chief would be really cool to see. After all, he's to Microsoft as Mario is to Nintendo, and the hero of one of the most iconic shooters of all time. It helps that there's a multitude of utilities he can utilize in his own series.

SonicMario

Smash Master
VALVE
Was tempted to say the Spy because "lol he can be all 9!". But given in the game he can't exactly use the weapons it'd be odd. I kinda want to say Heavy Weapons Guy would be the most likely. He feels like he's kinda been the face of Team Fortress 2 if there was one out of all the characters. Though I think Spy, Scout, and Soldier would all be honorable mentions.

If you go by Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed. They picked Heavy (when on water), Pyro (when on land), and Spy (when in the air)

I know TF2 isn't likely much at all. Heck I think Valve if they somehow got the call for a rep in Smash it'd probably be Gordon Freeman from Half-Life. Or even Chell from Portal (Oh man would that be fun if Chell is capable of making portals that all characters can go through in the stage. Would especially be fun in large stages). But it's fun to think about at least.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

MICROSOFT

Banjo-Kazooie

SONY
Ratchet & Clank

VALVE
Microsoft-
Steve? without a doubt. He's highly iconic and easiest to work into another game. Master Chief is a good choice too, but being Microsoft's Mascot also means that promoting him fully on other systems isn't as likely. This applies to Nintendo's opinion of it as well.

Sony-
Ratchet & Clank seem like a good fit to me. Though there are other big guns like Nathan Drake and Kratos. I feel the duo would fit easily into Smash and be fairly easy to get.

Valve-
...I don't know any of their characters besides Team Fortress. In which case, Pyro, cause burn baby burn. They're easy enough to work with, and even TF2 characters got into a racing game full of crossover options, so...

Originality

Smash Journeyman
I was just thinking about that, and honestly Chief would be really cool to see. After all, he's to Microsoft as Mario is to Nintendo, and the hero of one of the most iconic shooters of all time. It helps that there's a multitude of utilities he can utilize in his own series.
I imagine his up special would be a grav lift, which would simply be a wind box upwards that he can act out of. His down special would be bubble shield, pushing away close enemies and blocking projectiles. His side special would be a plasma grenade that works like megamans sticky bomb. I'm having trouble with a neutral special though. I could see him being semi long range with either dual smgs or assault rifle, but I personally would rather they grifball it and have his normals and smashes alternate between energy sword and gravity hammer. His fs would be a cinematic involving the spartan laser. Oh speaking of fs Marcus with a controllable hammer of dawn would be cool

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
Just all of a sudden makes me want to see Valve try their hand at a Smash Bros.-like game themselves. Include Half-Life, Most if not all of the Team Fortress characters, Left 4 Dead (Both survivors and popular zombies), Portal, Counter-Strike, DOTA 2, etc.

And Gabe Newell as the last unlockable WTF character :troll:

Pakky

Smash Hero
I wouldn't mind Chell or Gordon Freeman from Valve.

Saxton Hal would be funny though.

Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Gordon Freeman or Chell would be my pick for a hypothetical Valve rep in the AU where that happened.

Team Fortess wasn't originally made by Valve, neither was Dota, Alien Swarm, GMod, Day of Defeat, Left 4 Dead, Counter Strike, or L4D... even Portal is a bit of a stretch, but it's close enough for me.

They definitely own those IPs, but getting them as the sole mascot of the company would feel wrong after the legacy of Half-Life.

The Half-Life/Portal shared universe is definitely the Valve thing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I can imagine at least a Portal stage, where GLADoS has Codex-like conversations with every character...
The odds of this are very slim, so do not expect this at all.
I really do not know if any Valve characters will make it in as characters.
I mean what does Valve really have with Nintendo?

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
If Sony got a character for whatever reason, my personal preference would be Jak and Daxter. Not that they're terribly significant, but they're really cool characters and had fun games.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
My quibbles with a Monster Hunter character:
1) There is no character, it’s a customizable avatar. Smash has gotten around this before, but it’s still not a very exciting prospect.
2) The game is built around slow, intentional clunky combat, which I don’t see translating well to Smash.

Multiple Third Parties from a Series:
I get that people love Sonic, and I wouldn’t hate another rep, but I still really feel Third Parties should be guests, not the focus, so one per franchise is good enough.

Microsoft/Sony/Valve:
Banjo would be great, though Master Chief I almost want to see for the sheer silliness of it.

Doesn’t even fit, but Nathan Drake is the only Sony character I have an attachment to, so I’d vote him.

Portal character for sure.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
My quibbles with a Monster Hunter character:
1) There is no character, it’s a customizable avatar. Smash has gotten around this before, but it’s still not a very exciting prospect.
2) The game is built around slow, intentional clunky combat, which I don’t see translating well to Smash.
This is completely, fair but I don't see that as a big issue. Just pick the "default" male & female looks from whichever game they're picking for the look and give them Rathalos/Hunter armor. You don't even really see the character all that much in 99% of the armor except the face, which looks pretty samey with most options.

Monster Hunter games are based around the same kind of combat the Souls series is, waiting for an attack and punishing. MH isn't clunky, you just have a lot of lag on moves and positioning is important. Moves hit hard, have good range, but have a lot of endlag which fits perfectly in Smash without having to really work around anything.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
A Monster Hunter DID make it into Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite as well. So it's not like the Hunters don't have solid fighting game potential.

osby

Smash Obsessed
She can be just a slow, hard hitter weapon user like Ike. Though, considering how newcomer guests started to feel really different towards the end, I wonder if they can give her differing moves like Ryu or Cloud in a hypothetical stiuation where she gets in the game.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
My main ideas on what to give Monster Hunter to make them unique from the existing swordfighters:

- A sheath/unsheath mechanic. You could have different moves with a weapon out than put away, less mobility but hit harder, etc;

- A gathering mechanic (think Peach) where you can pick up items from the stage to use. They could go many ways with this since MH has so many things to gather that do many different things, I'm not sure they'd even be conventional "pick up and throw" items like the regular Smash items.

- Various traps from Monster Hunter, such as pitfall traps, shock traps, and trapped meat (that has various status affects.) I think putting an emphasis on Monster Hunter, being well, a hunter would make them pretty unique. Think Snake as a weapon user.

- Barrel bombs, bounce barrel bombs, smoke bombs (with various status affects), throwing knives, and other similar items (too many to list here...)

- The Insect Glaive, Lance, Hunting Horn, Gunlance, and Charge Blade in their entirety are incredibly unique weapons that do things no other fighter currently does. In fact, using all of the weapons would make MH very unique as most of them are not even swords, or have gimmicks that make them different from each other. The Sword & Shield and Greatsword are the only standard sword weapons.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

you don't know it's all-new, just like i don't know it's a port-plus. so we need to chill on the 'its absolutely a new game' talk 'cause those words have not been uttered by anyone officially with ninty.

Im just gonna copy and paste everything i said back in your thread. (which you particulary didn't responded to, as if, i don't know, you dind't have any convincing counter-arguments and you resort to nothing but your emotional outbursts and swearing like a sailor or internet reviewer in order to appear intimidating, but you end up looking like an edgy 12-year old instead)

"b-b-but guys!, it has to be a port!, it's not like the trailer was set up in such a way that basically showcases as if it was a new game! and it's not like every other NIntendo Switch port was confirmed to be a port right off the bat like Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, Pokkén, Mario Kart 8, Tropical Freeze and others!"

Seriously people that think the new game is a port are not delusional, they are ignorant and don't do research that points to this beign a brand new game.

"THERE'S BARELY ANY TIME TO DEVELOP A NEW SMASH GAME 1111!11!"

.....even though Smash games don't take more time than 2 and a half years AT MOST. Not only that, but this game doesn't have to bother with other issues that pleagued the development of other Smash games:

-Smash 64 had little budget and few people working on it. If the "Smash 6" job listing is any indication (and this was tracked all the way to Namco Bandai themselves, so this isn't fake) this is not the case.

-Smash Switch likely doesn't have the same overly ambitious Subspace Emisary that hindered the game's development and it's unlikely as hell that a Sonic situation will ever happen (Sonic was always meant to be in Brawl, but SEGA said no and then changed their minds after seeing his demand and then was added late in development, which caused Brawl to be delayed)

-Smash Switch will be released on only one console instead of two, and that will likely will mean that there will be no worries about making exclusive content for each versions (and conversely making sure that there are not any roster differences between versions no matter the cost)

The only problem that i can see is maybe the release window for the game which is similar to Melee. However i firmly believe that there's a lot more people working on this game than in Melee, so i dobut that will be an issue.

Before you ask, yes i firmly think that Namco Bandai will help out on this game too, there's no reason to not have them on board again, and before you say anything, Smash Bros 4 did not have their name on the Copyright section until Pac-Man was confirmed, every other trailer before hand only included the companies who had their characters confirmed playable in the game (hell, the copyright notice doesn't even have SORA on it, it only credited Nintendo and Hal because of them beign behind the first game) so the copyright notice at the end of Smash Switch is completely meaningless.

"IT'S BARELY BEEN 2 YEARS SINCE SMASH 4'S DLC ENDED!"

The time gap doesn't matter, futhermore that's only if you count the DLC and the resources that were used for DLC were likely nowhere as expensive and time-consuming as the Base game (unless you tell me that 7 character take more time than 51 characters, over 40 stages between both versions, multiple modes and other stuff) if we go by the release of the base game, it's been 4 years, no ifs and buts.

The reason as to why the gap (THE BASE GAME GAP, not the gap between DLC and Smash Switch) between Smash 4 and Switch is smaller compared to Brawl and 4 is because of the Wii U flopping (mediocre marketing, no third party support and barely any games until it was too late) and one of the main reasons was because there not enough good, important and big-name Nintendo games and the fact that Smash is beign released this year is proof that they want to fix that (nevermind how Mario was released on the first year of the Console and Breath of the Wild was given the TP treatment to make sure the Switch has a Big Game on Launch) and every single important Nintendo IP that has gotten a new game has been released from a year or even much less (BoTW is an outlier)

TL;DR the Wii U failed, and its time in the sun was cut short because of it, they moved to a new system that didn't have the same stigma as the Wii U and fix every single issue the previous console has (easier to understand dev kit which leads to better 3rd party support, better marketing, and most importantly, more NINTENDO GAMES a the every beggining of the console's release and good release schedule momentum) and Smash Switch is one of them.

Furthermore if this was a port, why hold it back? There's no goddamn reason to hold back a Smash 4 port for this long. No amount of extra character or extra modes or stages will make it release anywhere after early 2017, because a port of Smash 4 for the Switch would have the same amount of urgency as Mario Kart 8, which was released barely a month after the Switch's launch.

Either you add some fancy new things and release it a soon as possible and make it clear that is a port (instead of doing a CGI trailer and not even showing gameplay despite the game beign BASICALLY COMPLETE) or make a new game from scratch and take your time, and 2 years (maybe even more if that Smash 6 job listing is any indication) is enough.

Had the Wii U been successful and sold a lot of units, it would have lasted longer and the time gap between Smash 4 and Switch would be much Longer.

"IT'S GONNA BE RELEASED THIS YEAR EVEN THOUGH IT WAS ANNOUNCED THIS YEAR"!

.....and? this is a non-argument. They could have announced any moment they wanted (like when they announced a new Smash game in 2011 before Smash 4 even started development) and wouldn't make a difference. Not only that but nowadays, Nintendo announces games and releases them in much shorter time gaps.

Mario Odyssey was only released in 1 year and 7 days after beign teased in the Switch's reveal, FE Warriors was revealed in January and then released in September, Kirby Star Allies was revealed at E3 2017 and released on March of 2018, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 which was revelaed at E3 and everybody got on the delay Bandwagon, only to be released on time on December of 2017.

See a patern here? Nintendo learned from the Wii U era that having big droughts and revealing games years before they are released on the system is not a good idea, and instead develops them in background, announces them when they are close to completion, and releases them on that set date.

The only exceptions are games like Pokémon, FE Switch (which by the time they release it it will have taken more than a year and a half, which makes it the only non-BoTW game that took more than a year and a half to be released after the reveal) and Metroid Prime 4. Pokémon and Fire Emblem did not even had CGI trailers, and MP4 is likely gonna be much harder game to develop than Smash (and please stop pretending that Smash is this Super-resource-expensive Triple AAA game that takes years to make)

I already mentioned that Smash games don't take that much of development time and the only reason why Brawl was delayed was because of external reasons. Smash has been likely in development since 2016 (and don't tell me the DLC stopped that from happening, it's likely that a minor fraction of the Smash team focused on the DLC with Sakurai, then Sakurai took a break for a while and returned to help later in Smash Switch)

"NO INFO HAS BEEN RELEASED YET"

Except there's info, and everything impli-no, it basically CONFIRMS that it is a new game.

-Showcases a CGI trailer, and all games that do that is because they are brand new games and not ports (when has a company ever been so stupid to waste animation budget for a port when they could just show gameplay like literally every other port)

-Doesn't even reveal the title of the game (what is the downside of Calling a Smash Switch port "Smash Bros for Nintendo Switch"?)

-As mentioned earlier (and futher examplified by Skyblade12 Skyblade12 ) every single other port has been fimly stated and SHOWN to be ports witouth any dobut. What makes Smash so diferent? extra content? Mario Kart 8 Deluxe had extra content and it still made it clear it was a port day 1, and so did Tropical Freeze (new playable character), TWEWY (new story section), Pokkén (new fighter) , etc, etc. Also if you were to make so much more new content and make so many changes (like making Link have his BoTW, and Zelda WILL also have this change) why you dont', uhh i don't know, MAKE A NEW GAME? Doing all this extra content will leave you on this akward middleground. Too much time wasted on a port, and not enought content for it to be a new game.

And no don't give me the Suprise Factor. Don't you know that would basically be misleading at best and insulting at worst?
What kind of company that is going to release a port would:
-mislead people into believing is a new game by showcasing a trailer with a TENTATIVE TITLE and no gameplay? Hell we didn't even heard Smash 4's main theme (and the supposed music on the background does not sound like the Smash 4 title in the slightlest)

-never state that is a port of a game when they made it perfectly clear in other games (im going to state this until it's stuck on your brain). Hell they basically stated "this game from a previous console is coming to the Switch" whenever a Switch port is announced. There's no excuse, reason, justification or circumstance for Smash to be treated differently.

-Sakurai stated on his Twitter account that he has been working on silence, day after day............for a port? that's just not right. Sakurai would work hard for a new game, not a port, and no i dobut giving Link a BoTW look and including Inklings is "working day after day", because that statement basically says that he is working on something much greater.

Does it make it look like im repeating my points too much? well that's because every single port-bandwagoner has bought these same points all the time and always end their argument with the "we don't know yet!" because they don't have true actual talking points, and the fact they use the "we don't know" argument is telling me that they don't even know what they are talking about and instead follow the port rumor bandwagon, even though most rumor-mongers that have stated this have never updated on the matter, have been proven to be unrelieable on the past and so on. It's a new game, period.

Anyway, E3 is coming soon and that will be definitve proof, and i can't wait for E3 to come in and showcase a last-minute port of Smash 4 with 1 or 2 new single characters and barely any new content whatsoever, and of course everybody will super hyped!

....that was sarcasm if you couldn't tell. I mean for what i have seen, Sakurai could come in and hold a giant light neon sign that states "Smash Bros for Nintendo Switch is a new game and NOT a port" and some people would STILL believe that is a port, so i wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't tell sarcasm.

Also, to the people that state Splatoon 2 used assets from the first game are wrong, they built them from scratch.

The team intentionally kept the general look from the original since that was one of the things people loved. However, because of this, people may think they just ported over existing assets from the original to Splatoon 2. In actuality, all graphical aspects and programming mechanisms have been built up from scratch.
So please stop comparing Smash Switch to Splatoon 2.
Oh and here's the source of the Smash 6 Job Listing back in 2014 reported by Silliconera.

and in case you are too lazy to click the link, here's a highlight that serves as evidence of this not beign a hoax (although i don't see why anyone with a functioning brain would fake a job-listing for a game that is a sequel to one in development):

Something to note: While the original recruitment page has apparently been deleted from e-career FA, it doesn’t appear to be fake. Tatsuya Matsumura, a consultant who uploaded the ad, seems to still have all of his other recruitment ads live on the website, which includes career opportunities for other companies such as Square Enix, Capcom, Tecmo Koei, and various mobile developers.

Upon further research, Matsumura appears to have been in the business of a career consultant to connect developers and software companies with programmers and engineers since 2011. He currently specializes in getting people in touch with gaming and software developers, and has successfully helped the recruitment of over 2,000 people thus far.
Also this Gamexplain video that talks about a guy losing his twitter account because he basically confirmed that Smash Switch is using a new rendering engine (and everyone who has been following on Smash Switch speculation noticed this) . and before you say anything, no this not a rumor despite what the thumbnail says (if anything this is the oneof the first leaks about Smash Switch unless you count the Job Listing) because Nintendo made the guy close his Twitter account which only fuels the job listing.

I think anyone in this thread knows that there's no point in hiring people just for port, no matter how much content it has (if you wanna make new content altogther up to the point stuff that's already in it like Link, why not make a new game? and if you don't want to make new assests just use Smash 4 as a base, just like how Smash 4 was based on Brawl and gradually became its own thing as showcased by this development screenshot of Smash 4 that's hidden in the 3DS version that was found by the Cutting Room Floor) because they could just port it with the developers they already have (and you have to go out of your way to make a port suck and do a bad job at it, let alone take an entire year after the Switch's launch).

This Job Listing alone screams "new game" to me honestly, and it's far more convincing than any pro-port argument that i have seen, which are all just based on ignorance (such as "we don't know yet") and rumor piggybacking (such as the long-dead "Smash Switch is a port with 2 new characters" rumor spread by Liam Doctor Cupcakes "Shovel Knight is in Smash" Robertson and then supported by Sourcegaming, who have no longer have given updates to this rumor, whch means it's dead on the water) so you can spare me the "we dont' know yet" nonesense since it showcases that you don't know anything, and you put the "we" in an attempt to drag me to your level of ignorance.

Last edited by a moderator:

One winged Devil

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4499-5767-3965
Im just gonna copy and past everything i said back in your thread. (which you particulary didn't responded to, as if, i don't know, you dind't have any convincing counter-arguments and you resort to nothing but your emotional outbursts and swearing like a sailor or internet reviewe in order to appear intimidating, but you end up looking like an edgy 12-year old instead)

"b-b-but guys!, it has to be a port!, it's not like the trailer was set up in such a way that basically showcases as if it was a new game! and it's not like every other NIntendo Switch port was confirmed to be a port right off the bat like Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, Pokkén, Mario Kart 8, Tropical Freeze and others!"

Seriously people that think the new game is a port are not delusional, they are ignorant and don't do research that points to this beign a brand new game.

.....even though Smash games don't take more time than 2 and a half years AT MOST. Not only that, but this game doesn't have to bother with other issues that pleagued the development of other Smash games:

-Smash 64 had little budget and few people working on it. If the "Smash 6" job listing is any indication (and this was tracked all the way to Namco Bandai themselves, so this isn't fake) this is not the case.

-Smash Switch likely doesn't have the same overly ambitious Subspace Emisary that hindered the game's development and it's unlikely as hell that a Sonic situation will ever happen (Sonic was always meant to be in Brawl, but SEGA said no and then changed their minds after seeing his demand and then was added late in development, which caused Brawl to be delayed)

-Smash Switch will be released on only one console instead of two, and that will likely will mean that there will be no worries about making exclusive content for each versions (and conversely making sure that there are not any roster differences between versions no matter the cost)

The only problem that i can see is maybe the release window for the game which is similar to Melee. However i firmly believe that there's a lot more people working on this game than in Melee, so i dobut that will be an issue.

Before you ask, yes i firmly think that Namco Bandai will help out on this game too, there's no reason to not have them on board again, and before you say anything, Smash Bros 4 did not have their name on the Copyright section until Pac-Man was confirmed, every other trailer before hand only included the companies who had their characters confirmed playable in the game (hell, so the copyright notice doesn't even have SORA on it, it only credited Nintendo and Hal because of them beign behind the first game) so the copyright notice at the end of Smash Switch is completely meaningless.

The time gap doesn't matter, futhermore that's only if you count the DLC and the resources that were used for DLC were likely nowhere as expensive and time-consuming as the Base game (unless you tell me that 7 character take more time than 51 characters, over 40 stages between both versions, multiple modes and other stuff) if we go by the release of the base game, it's been 4 years, no ifs and buts.

The reason as to why the gap (THE BASE GAME GAP, not the gap between DLC and Smash Switch) between Smash 4 and Switch is smaller compared to Brawl and 4 is because of the Wii U flopping (mediocre marketing, no third party support and barely any games until it was too late) and one of the main reasons was because there not enough good, important and big-name Nintendo games and the fact that Smash is beign released this year is proof that they want to fix that (nevermind how Mario was released on the first year of the Console and Breath of the Wild was given the TP treatment to make sure the Switch has a Big Game on Launch) and every single important Nintendo IP that has gotten a new game has been released from a year or even much less (BoTW is an outlier)

TL;DR the Wii U failed, and its time in the sun was cut short because of it, they moved to a new system that didn't have the same stigma as the Wii U and fix every single issue the previous console has (easier to understand dev kit which leads to better 3rd party support, better marketing, and most importantly, more NINTENDO GAMES a the every beggining of the console's release and good release schedule momentum) and Smash Switch is one of them.

Furthermore if this was a port, why hold it back? There's no goddamn reason to hold back a Smash 4 port for this long. No amount of extra character or extra modes or stages will make it release anywhere after early 2017, because a port of Smash 4 for the Switch would have the same amount of urgency as Mario Kart 8, which was released barely a month after the Switch's launch.

Either you add some fancy new things and release it a soon as possible and make it clear that is a port (instead of doing a CGI trailer and not even showing gameplay despite the game beign BASICALLY COMPLETE) or make a new game from scratch and take your time, and 2 years (maybe even more if that Smash 6 job listing is any indication) is enough.

Had the Wii U been successful and sold a lot of units, it would have lasted longer and the time gap between Smash 4 and Switch would be much Longer.

.....and? this is a non-argument. They could have announced any moment they wanted (like when they announced a new Smash game in 2011 before Smash 4 even started development) and wouldn't make a difference. Not only that but nowadays, Nintendo announces games and releases them in much shorter time gaps.

Mario Odyssey was only released in 1 year and 7 days after beign teased in the Switch's reveal, FE Warriors was revealed in January and then released in September, Kirby Star Allies was revealed at E3 2017 and released on March of 2018, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 which was revelaed at E3 and everybody got on the delay Bandwagon, only to be released on time on December of 2017.

See a patern here? Nintendo learned from the Wii U era that having big droughts and revealing games years before they are released on the system is not a good idea, and instead develops them in background, announces them when they are close to completion, and releases them on that set date.

The only exceptions are games like Pokémon, FE Switch (which by the time they release it it will have taken more than a year and a half, which makes it the only non-BoTW game that took more than a year and a half to be released after the reveal) and Metroid Prime 4. Pokémon and Fire Emblem did not even had CGI trailers, and MP4 is likely gonna be much harder game to develop than Smash (and please stop pretending that Smash is this Super-resource-expensive Triple AAA game that takes years to make)

I already mentioned that Smash games don't take that much of development time and the only reason why Brawl was delayed was because of external reasons. Smash has been likely in development since 2016 (and don't tell me the DLC stopped that from happening, it's likely that a minor fraction of the Smash team focused on the DLC with Sakurai, then Sakurai took a break for a while and returned to help later in Smash Switch)

Except there's info, and everything impli-no, it basically CONFIRMS that it is a new game.

-Showcases a CGI trailer, and all games that do that is because they are brand new games and not ports (when has a company ever been so stupid to waste animation budget for a port when they could just show gameplay like literally every other port)

-Doesn't even reveal the title of the game (what is the downside of Calling a Smash Switch port "Smash Bros for Nintendo Switch"?)

-As mentioned earlier (and futher examplified by Skyblade12 Skyblade12 ) every single other port has been fimly stated and SHOWN to be ports witouth any dobut. What makes Smash so diferent? extra content? Mario Kart 8 Deluxe had extra content and it still made it clear it was a port day 1, and so did Tropical Freeze (new playable character), TWEWY (new story section), Pokkén (new fighter) , etc, etc. Also if you were to make so much more new content and make so many changes (like making Link have his BoTW, and Zelda WILL also have this change) why you dont', uhh i don't know, MAKE A NEW GAME? Doing all this extra content will leave you on this akward middleground. Too much time wasted on a port, and not enought content for it to be a new game.

And no don't give me the Suprise Factor. Don't you know that would basically be misleading at best and insulting at worst?
-mislead people into believing is a new game by showcasing a trailer with a TENTATIVE TITLE and no gameplay? Hell we didn't even heard Smash 4's main theme (and the supposed music on the background does not sound like the Smash 4 title in the slightlest)

-never state that is a port of a game when they made it perfectly clear in other games (im going to state this until it's stuck on your brain). Hell they basically stated "this game from a previous console is coming to the Switch" whenever a Switch port is announced. There's no excuse, reason, justification or circumstance for Smash to be treated differently.

-Sakurai stated on his Twitter account that he has been working on silence, day after day............for a port? that's just not right. Sakurai would work hard for a new game, not a port, and no i dobut giving Link a BoTW look and including Inklings is "working day after day", because that statement basically says that he is working on something much greater.

Does it make it look like im repeating my points too much? well that's because every single port-bandwagoner has bought these same points all the time and always end their argument with the "we don't know yet!" because they don't have true actual talking points, and the fact they use the "we don't know" argument is telling me that they don't even know what they are talking about and instead follow the port rumor bandwagon, even though most rumor-mongers that have stated this have never updated on the matter, have been proven to be unrelieable on the past and so on. It's a new game, period.

Anyway, E3 is coming soon and that will be definitve proof, and i can't wait for E3 to come in and showcase a last-minute port of Smash 4 with 1 or 2 new single characters and barely any new content whatsoever, and of course everybody will super hyped!

....that was sarcasm if you couldn't tell. I mean for what i have seen, Sakurai could come in and hold a giant light neon sign that states "Smash Bros for Nintendo Switch is a new game and NOT a port" and some people would STILL believe that is a port, so i wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't tell sarcasm.

Also, to the people that state Splatoon 2 used assets from the first game are wrong, they built them from scratch.

For Splatoon 2, the shading mechanism has been totally changed. Thanks to this, gear texture quality is significantly improved.

Oh and here's the source of the Smash 6 Job Listing back in 2014 reported by Silliconera.

and in case you are too lazy to click the link, here's a highlight that serves as evidence of this not beign a hoax (although i don't see why anyone with a functioning brain would fake a job-listing for a game that is a sequel to one in development):

Also this Gamexplain video that talks about a guy losing his twitter account because he basically confirmed that Smash Switch is using a new rendering engine (and everyone who has been following on Smash Switch speculation noticed this) . and before you say anything, no this not a rumor despite what the thumbnail says (if anything this is the oneof the first leaks about Smash Switch unless you count the Job Listing) because Nintendo made the guy close his Twitter account which only fuels the job listing.

I think anyone in this thread knows that there's no point in hiring people just for port, no matter how much content it has (if you wanna make new content altogther up to the point stuff that's already in it like Link, why not make a new game? and if you don't want to make new assests just use Smash 4 as a base, just like how Smash 4 was based on Brawl and gradually became its own thing as showcased by this development screenshot of Smash 4 that's hidden in the 3DS version that was found by the Cutting Room Floor) because they could just port it with the developers they already have (and you have to go out of your way to make a port suck and do a bad job at it, let alone take an entire year after the Switch's launch).

This Job Listing alone screams "new game" to me honestly, and it's far more convincing than any pro-port argument that i have seen, which are all just based on ignorance (such as "we don't know yet") and rumor piggybacking (such as the long-dead "Smash Switch is a port with 2 new characters" rumor spread by Liam Doctor Cupcakes "Shovel Knight is in Smash" Robertson and then supported by Sourcegaming, who have no longer have given updates to this rumor, whch means it's dead on the water) so you can spare me the "we dont' know yet" nonesense since it showcases that you don't know anything, and you put the "we" in an attempt to drag me to your level of ignorance.
Destruction in text form.

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
User was warned for this post - Trolling
Im just gonna copy and past everything i said back in your thread. (which you particulary didn't responded to, as if, i don't know, you dind't have any convincing counter-arguments and you resort to nothing but your emotional outbursts and swearing like a sailor or internet reviewe in order to appear intimidating, but you end up looking like an edgy 12-year old instead)
that's 'cause the thread got locked skippy, try to keep up. also that's a lot of ****ing words to write to say 'i know approximately as much as you do which is sweet ****-all, but lemme tell you how my opinion is better than yours'. you do know that ports need teams too, right? ain't a one-person ****ing job. you also are talking right out of your ass if you can fathom to know the size of the team behind this game. listings are just that, positions that folk need filled. rendering engines ain't gameplay engines, it's graphics. which prolly changed given the fact that they're on a bit more powerful hardware.

so, uh, yeah. neat wall of text. you won't mind the cropping of that quote to spare the ****ing server the pain of loading it all again, yeah?

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
that's 'cause the thread got locked skippy, try to keep up. also that's a lot of ****ing words to write to say 'i know approximately as much as you do which is sweet ****-all, but lemme tell you how my opinion is better than yours'. you do know that ports need teams too, right? ain't a one-person ****ing job. you also are talking right out of your *** if you can fathom to know the size of the team behind this game. listings are just that, positions that folk need filled. rendering engines ain't gameplay engines, it's graphics. which prolly changed given the fact that they're on a bit more powerful hardware.

so, uh, yeah. neat wall of text. you won't mind the cropping of that quote to spare the ****ing server the pain of loading it all again, yeah?
The fact is they didn't say that it was a port, and from a marketing point of view, that's a bad idea to not point it out from the start.
I doubt this Smash game won't be a new one. Granted, Tord didn't bring perfect evidence, but the addition of everything really imply that it's a brand new title, and not another "For (console)" game. At this point they would have come clean and say that it's just a port with a few new characters.

Why all the cursing though? It doesn't bring much and makes it hard to read your posts.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
you do know that ports need teams too, right? ain't a one-person ****ing job. you also are talking right out of your *** if you can fathom to know the size of the team behind this game. listings are just that, positions that folk need filled. rendering engines ain't gameplay engines, it's graphics. which prolly changed given the fact that they're on a bit more powerful hardware.
Hi. I'm a game designer. Ports don't take both an in-house team and the help from a third party. That's too much time, money, and legality to make it worth it. Also, on a game like Smash, you'd probably need 2 or 3 graphics programmers at most to port it. You're not displaying intense refractions or sub-dermal glow or anything crazy. You just need the performance to be able to run 60 fps, and that's not an issue for a first party Nintendo game, let alone a (relatively) graphically trivial game like Smash.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Regarding HMK's video about Sora.

Based on what Jason said, it seems like Nomura would have the bigger say on what can allow KH content than Disney, like with Dissidia origin matter originally being a part of Kingdom Hearts, but with Nomura having the final say on stating no on the idea due to the idea not working. If Nomura has the final say, then that makes negotiation for Sora so much easier! That is something Nomura would absolutely love to happen since Sora is one of his babies.

It does not seem to imply that Jason is deconfirming Sora, but it is strange for him to know this much how Sora in Smash would work. Do you think this deconfirms Sora for Smash Switch's base game? I need some opinions badly, because processing all of this is taking time for me right now. This video is major news for us as speculators and for Sora supporters.

I also have formed my final conclusion: I will remove Sora from my predictions, if he is not revealed at E3, then I think he is done for the base game. Sora is that kind of character that would be saved for an E3 reveal. I am very sure that the third party revealed at E3 will be a highly requested one. I personally think that what Jason said is mostly PR talk that does not say much whether or not Sora is in Smash. I believe that Tetsuya and the higher-ups above Jason would know about Sora actually know that he was negotiated for Smash. He is one of the lower executives that may not know about this information. If he is not in the base game, then I consider his chances of being considered as DLC to be far higher than before. But that all depends on the fans and how much support he gets during the Smash Switch period.

Rest assured, I am VERY SURE the KH fanbase and KH YouTubers will know about HMK's information and make support for Sora even louder than before.

Last edited:

lltacx

Smash Journeyman
I keep seeing people say Rex and Pyra are a package deal, but what about Mythra? Could she be used as a final smashed where Rex’s abilities would be boosted by a large margin? Or maybe would he be able to switch between them both? I think the latter would be better tbh but that might contradict the new transformation rule. I won’t go into spoilers but i’d rather see a different Final Smash for Rex

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895

Before you ask, yes i firmly think that Namco Bandai will help out on this game too, there's no reason to not have them on board again, and before you say anything, Smash Bros 4 did not have their name on the Copyright section until Pac-Man was confirmed, every other trailer before hand only included the companies who had their characters confirmed playable in the game (hell, so the copyright notice doesn't even have SORA on it, it only credited Nintendo and Hal because of them beign behind the first game) so the copyright notice at the end of Smash Switch is completely meaningless.

For Splatoon 2, the shading mechanism has been totally changed. Thanks to this, gear texture quality is significantly improved.

"Exemplify" is such a great word. It sounds so majestic and important, yet its meaning is typical and mundane.

This post certainly is...emphatic about its points. Which I all agree with.

Also note that on their previous ports to the Switch, every single one except Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition was also revealed with a confirmed release date, and even HWDE had a season.

If it was a port, why are they setting the release date at just "2018", instead of "look forward to playing Smash with friends on your Nintendo Switch on September 9th", or something like that?

Then too, there are the development details. The job listing is but one small part of it.

The trailer for the Inklings is another. While that sort of animation being built for a port is possible, it's unlikely, especially with how long that animation was. If you look at the CGI animation they added for the accolades trailer for Tropical Freeze, it's about three seconds long. The CGI animation for the Switch reveal is almost exactly ONE MINUTE.

Or how about Sakurai's involvement? Remember when he showed off the Vifam mech toy (from the 1983 anime Ginga Hyōryū Vifam), and mentioned how he was using the gun for reference in his work? Odd that he'd need a reference like that to port a game. Or his talk about taking a vacation, but that his new project was "already picked out for him". Which occured in February of 2016, IIRC.

I don't think there is any reasonable grounds to argue that it is a port and not a new game.

And I still think that the Smash Ballot was intended because they planned to start work on a new game that far back. That wasn't a "who do you want to see added as DLC" ballot. It was a "who would you like to see in the next game" ballot. Designed because they were already planning and drafting the ideas for another Smash project, and Sakurai either wasn't sure who else to add after Smash 4's incredible cast, or because he just wanted to see who the fans still wanted to see.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Just all of a sudden makes me want to see Valve try their hand at a Smash Bros.-like game themselves. Include Half-Life, Most if not all of the Team Fortress characters, Left 4 Dead (Both survivors and popular zombies), Portal, Counter-Strike, DOTA 2, etc.

And Gabe Newell as the last unlockable WTF character :troll:
Sometimes I wish I could like a comment twice.

I'd love to see Bill Overbeck and Medic team up to take on Pudge.
...geez I miss Bill. Medic plz revive that badass grandpa.

I feel like the release date would keep getting pushed back further and further but think of all those alt costume hat options...

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
They aren't final bosses. They're a big part of the game and some of the most notable in it. So it's not exactly a great analogy. Plus, Ganon, in this particular case, is something everybody can easily see really quickly on. They also clearly are far more part of the game than the demo shows, so I don't see the point in mentioning that.

However, you're missing the point being made; it's that if he sees the beta characters(not the demo, but drawings, and information on them) and finds something interesting, he will consider them and possibly put them in. Greninja being that popular wasn't something that Sakurai considered. It was his moveset potential that he saw right away.

Popularity isn't the end-all. It isn't even a very relevant thing he needs to outright look for when it comes to a character he's seeing before the game would be released. He can't gauge later popularity. What he can gauge is if he thinks he can make the character likable overall as a playable character. That's far more important than straight popularity.
You’re underestimating the importance of popularity and recognizability. Also your greninja example doesn’t hold weight because he and every other character that was chosen in advance has been the main playable character of their games. Not side characters like the chosen.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
You’re underestimating the importance of popularity and recognizability.
It's easy to do so when the general public cannot recognize 90% of the characters anyway, the vocal minority of Smash fans having a skewed perspective of what exactly is popular, and Masahiro Sakurai himself stating that even if a character was popular they may not get included if they don't offer anything unique.

So yes, people underestimate how important popularity is because it's too subjective to be relied on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom