• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
2 years to create 4 characters?

What do you think Sakurai has been doing this entire time?
i dunno, building the engine and tweaking old vets? 'cause remember for every newcomer that's n+1 movesets that need adjustment, evaluation, whatever-else-the-**** happens with game development

It's not hard to to understand once you learn that the newcomer count has increased literally every game since 64's debut.

There are still plenty of characters that could potentially be in this game. Personally, I see this game as the golden opportunity for Sakurai to dip back into the older games and pull out some older characters that haven't been given as much attention recently, since there aren't a ton of newer characters to pull from right now that aren't from ARMS or a XenoBlade title.

Edit: Newcomers per game.

SSB64: 12.
SSBM: 14.
SSBB: 18.
SSB4: 21.

It's only gone up.
at this point in the game tho we're really running out of nintendo-blood to put in before we start straying into 'sonic-and-friends' territory and you do NOT want to ****ing go there.

oh snap, realized this was a page snype.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
at this point in the game tho we're really running out of nintendo-blood to put in before we start straying into 'sonic-and-friends' territory and you do NOT want to ****ing go there.
Knuckles, Tails, Amy, Eggman, Metal, Shadow, and Blaze ALL in smash would be rad

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
So here's an interesting little bit of research.

For those who don't want to watch this guy stammer for 8 minutes, let me condense what he says.

At the recent KH3 event, this guy talked with various Square and Disney reps, most importantly the Vice President and General Manager of Disney's Japan branch. He asked him two questions: Who owns Sora/has the legal rights to Sora, and what his chances would be of getting into Smash.

He said that, speaking purely legally, Disney does indeed own Sora. However, whenever they do absolutely anything with Sora, they always get the A-OK from Namoura. They don't want to do anything that might make him uncomfortable, or put Sora in a situation that hurts his or the series' image. So while Disney does own Sora, Namoura always has the final say in how Sora is used.

As for his chances for Smash, the VP turned the question back and asked if it's something he thinks the fans want, would love to see, would be comfortable with, etc etc. He said if all of those things were to come to fruition, it's something they would very seriously consider. They'd also want Nintendo to reach out to them rather than the other way around.

So... Yeah. Just felt that would be an interesting point to share. I still don't see him as likely, but it's always nice to have more insight to unique situations like Sora.
Bluepikmin11 at any moment:

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
i dunno, building the engine and tweaking old vets? 'cause remember for every newcomer that's n+1 movesets that need adjustment, evaluation, whatever-else-the-**** happens with game development

If you seriously believe the Nintendo well is even close to drying up, you really need to do some more research.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
There's pessimistic nature and then there's just not being real.

You're not being real. It's not taken Sakurai 2 years to do what you suggest.

If he wanted to do a simple ''Here's 4 characters." He'd just have done a port.

And I'm wagering since we're getting an all new game? Sakurai was not a fan of a simple port.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I explained Toon Zelda in my other reply.

I agree with the 2 Gen VII. Pokémon.

Monster Hunter is extremely popular, and has had a long history with Nintendo. I think it’s possible. I actually think it’s likely.
I really doubt they'll add toon Zelda just to try and maintain Zelda's old moveset, they've never done that with any other character that's been significantly revamped and I don't see why they'd d it now.

While that is true it doesn't necessarily mean they'll add them, especially since it'll be the 3rd capcom representative and the hunter themselves is just a generic avatar character and not an iconic and recognizable figure like the other 3rd parties

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Also yeah. Sonic and Friends doesn't sound so bad when you remember Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, and Eggman are all iconic video game characters.

It's like saying ''Ugh. More Street Fighter" when Chun Li exists. Hell, not even her. Most of the Street Fighter II cast is iconic as hell.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
TheSpitefulWolf's next line will be "There's optimistic nature and then there's just not being ****ing real."

But seriously, I expect at least 10 newcomers on the base roster. There is no way Sakurai has been working on this game since 2016 and only managed four newcomers. You're crazy if you think that.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

And I'm wagering since we're getting an all new game? Sakurai was not a fan of a simple port.
And even if it's an enhanced port or Splatoon 2 situation, he has tons of times for newcomers. He already has an excellent engine to work off of and update. He has previous ideas he can finish up. He has a full out ballot full of character ideas.

He's hardly lacking in anything. Literally the biggest hurdles are gameplay gimmicks that don't work out(like Dixie in Brawl, Ice Climbers in 4) or licensing issues that prevent an option from getting in.

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman

you don't know it's all-new, just like i don't know it's a port-plus. so we need to chill on the 'its absolutely a new game' talk 'cause those words have not been uttered by anyone officially with ninty.

If you seriously believe the Nintendo well is even close to drying up, you really need to do some more research.
there's a difference between 'well is dry' and ****ing 'sonic-and-friends'.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Imagine being the dude that gets angry about Tails or Knuckles being Smash

wow this ICONIC well known video game character got in smash??? and not THE character from this obscure Nintendo game only 5 people on planet earth played???

TERRIBLE

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

Are you implying it's a port? why would that take 2 ****ing years? They're not gonna add just 4 characters, they know the hype surrounding this game and new characters is the reason people buy this series.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Honey you got a big storm coming, because we do know it's an an all new game.

Stated right there in Nintendo's big investor's meeting earlier last month.

Also no comment on the well is dry when we have **** like Ridley, Toad/Captain Toad, Isabelle, Tom Nook, etc, etc and other actual really important and iconic Nintendo characters who aren't in Smash as playable.

That's without even touching the third parties.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm only thinking 5-6 newcomers myself, and even I can see we're getting a lot of content regardless. Might be more. Maybe 13+ could be a bit much, but regardless, the game isn't going to be small at all. It's going to clearly be a rather large content update. If it wasn't, we'd know that much by now. They clearly are planning a lot, otherwise there'd be no reason to give us a teaser. Sakurai is smarter than that. He gave more information when he announced other Smash games as well, including Brawl's main trailer.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Also yeah. Sonic and Friends doesn't sound so bad when you remember Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, and Eggman are all iconic video game characters.

It's like saying ''Ugh. More Street Fighter" when Chun Li exists. Hell, not even her. Most of the Street Fighter II cast is iconic as hell.
If a second street fighter character got in, who do you think it would be?

I mean Ken as an alt seems obvious.

But I think M Bison (the one USA calls M Bison, not the Boxer) would be the best.

Down fierce kick wins.

SonicMario

Smash Master
still can't wrap my head around how some folk think we're getting 13+ ****ing characters. that poll up top is ****ing nuts.

i'm feeling 4 non-smash-4 charas coming, and two of that number are old vets. inkling, springman, wolf, and icies. makes the roster 60, and that's ****ing gigantic already.
I seem to remember you thought the final DLC characters were going to be Pichu and Wolf in the waning months of Smash 4. I can kinda get the point of looking at it through a more pessimistic view like that. Means whatever actually does come turns out more of a surprise (Whether it's a good or a bad surprise to you I don't know).

And I'm personally thinking that yeah 10 or more is definitely pushing it. For the base game anyway. I think there will at least be 5 additional characters with most if not all of Smash 4's roster back and that's not counting any potential last minute clones they add potentially in the base game. But DLC will certainly at least push that up to 10. We got 7 out of the first experience with DLC Nintendo had with Smash. It's possible there may be more DLC newcomers then Base game newcomers to make up for a deemed lack of new characters in the base game comparatively..

Now, I'm not sure I can expect Smash Switch to add as many or more then Smash 4 did. Because that means getting well past 80 and that might be the point it's gotten insane (If 60 wasn't already insane enough for some). But throughout Smash Switch's lifetime. 70-75 might just be very possible.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I'm only thinking 5-6 newcomers myself, and even I can see we're getting a lot of content regardless. Might be more. Maybe 13+ could be a bit much, but regardless, the game isn't going to be small at all. It's going to clearly be a rather large content update. If it wasn't, we'd know that much by now. They clearly are planning a lot, otherwise there'd be no reason to give us a teaser. Sakurai is smarter than that. He gave more information when he announced other Smash games as well, including Brawl's main trailer.
5-6 is still way too small imo for 2 years of dev time, I know I and many others will be extremely disappointed if that were the case, I can't see them doing us like that. I expect at least 12 to bump us up to an even 70, if not even more.

If a second street fighter character got in, who do you think it would be?

I mean Ken as an alt seems obvious.

But I think M Bison (the one USA calls M Bison, not the Boxer) would be the best.

Down fierce kick wins.
Nah it's gotta be chun-li, easily one of the most iconic and recognizable female characters in gaming, if any 3rd party series were to get another rep I'd honestly want it to be her

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Chun Li is the obvious second Street Fighter rep. As Ryu is Mr. Fighting Game. She is Ms. Fighting Game.

She's also chosen to represent the series as much as he is in crossovers and other media.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
There's really no such thing as "taking up slots" for this game, unless it's 3rd party. Even though Cloud opened Pandora's Box, there were still ultimately only 6 of them in the final game, and only 3 at launch.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Those of you who have followed leaks longer than I: Has there ever been a Nintendo E3 leak that was correct? I've only been really following leaks for a few years, but I can't remember a single leak that talked about Nintendo's E3 plans that was proven right.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Very interesting element of truth for the rumor

So sakurai could have considered a caslvania rep during the delevopment of the roster for switch.
Funny part? Simon getting in seems honestly plausible. The whole idea Snake would definitely come in as well seems kind of silly. They'd be two different reasons. One for being an icon, another for being a friend's request. I do want Snake back, though, and I certainly hope he would, even if as DLC.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Those of you who have followed leaks longer than I: Has there ever been a Nintendo E3 leak that was correct? I've only been really following leaks for a few years, but I can't remember a single leak that talked about Nintendo's E3 plans that was proven right.
The August 2014 leak. It was 100% correct

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman

wow this ICONIC well known video game character got in smash??? and not THE character from this obscure Nintendo game only 5 people on planet earth played???

TERRIBLE
in smash's context literally no one but ****ing sonic matters from that universe because people want to see sonic v mario, not tails v luigi. also when i say 'sonic-and-friends' (boy do i love having to clarify statements) i mean 4th-rate dustbin warriors like geno or birdo or dixie. or we really gonna say that bandanna dee is on mario or link's level for draw?

brawl got the roster about right as far as nintendo folks, and the picks have only gotten a bit more obscure outside of fire emblem (because FE needed 4 more reps this year, don't ask why cause i don't ****ing know). i mean, they had to turn to a ****ing unfinished design for the new pokemon rep in smash 4. don't get me wrong, wft was a lol and a half and is baller-fun, but really? like, let's actually look at the roster draw this year 'cause everyone loves bringing up newcomers:

on-disc ****:
:4bowserjr::rosalina::4palutena::4robinm::4greninja::4duckhunt::4littlemac::4villager::4wiifit::4shulk::4darkpit::4lucina::4megaman::4pacman::4mii:

c'mon son, mario series was done with the base 4 (:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser:). at this point we're gonna actually and seriously begin considering koopatroopa or birdo (don't get me wrong, i ****ing love birdo, but that's a ****ing pipe dream and a half). robin's got chops because awakening pulled its weight and more, but the rest of them outside of wft were from dead series (ki, punchout, wiifit) or were really ****ing obscure (as in i could count the number of people on one hand who didn't respond 'who' or 'you mean she-hulk' when i talked about ****ing shulk). 3rd parties were solid, but three seems about good for the series. as sad as i'd be to see them go, i totally understand megs and pac getting the axe if this is a 'totally new-wowsies gaem' 'cause 3ps shouldn't stick around.
it's also why so many folk think :4greninja: is one-and-done 'cause that's how the series as a ****ing whole works, you get the gen x poke flavor of the month then you move on and never mention the older ones again outside of the occasional remake or vc re-release (which we are deffo never gonna see now 'cause tegra got hella-owned so rip nintendo online lol)

dlc ****:
:4bayonetta2::4cloud::4corrin::4lucas::4mewtwo::4feroy::4ryu:
nearly half this **** was 3rd party begging and it started to get real-deal uncomfortable. now bayo's a special case since she's cozying up real hard to nintendo but cloud and ryu do look and feel super out-of-place, even if they are kinda cool. corrin was a chara literally no one ****ing asked for (and lol rip fates 'cause that was a ****house storyline and game). lucas and mewtwo honestly just felt like paid-for maintenance rather than genuine dlc offers.

so yeah, we're kinda at the raw core of nintendo's representation, and a lot of series (i'm looking at you loz) have a lot of one-off characters because nintendo ****ing HATES continuity (see: star fox and its TWO reboots). which is fine, have a core roster of standbys and rotate the rest around them in and out depending on whatever factors get considered when adding newbies. but don't kid yourself, the big star-draws are pretty much all out on the field, and we're just pretending that ****ing bloat is legitimate entries.

EDIT: forgot to talk about roy because ****ing lol roy, where's pichu and yink?

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Pyra without Rex is not going to happen, that I am sure of.
Admittedly, Pyra without Rex is a bit of a long shot. I first considered solo Pyra after realizing I had only 2 new female newcomers. I could also see Sakurai pulling a Chrom with Rex and avoiding him because (without the Blade/Driver gimmick) he fights in a manor very similar to Shulk. I also couldn't think of a good way that the Blade/Driver relationship could be done in Smash. I figured Pyra would either remain in the background as a purely visual element ala Pokemon Trainer (which would defeat the purpose of having Pyra there) or she would tag along in the foreground as a weak point for Rex (which would make playing Rex into the Smash Bros equivalent of an escort mission). These factors ultimately led me towards solo Pyra rather than Rex and Pyra as a duo.

2 pokemon newcomers might be a little out there but not completely unrealistic, 8 completely unique characters is a little much tho, not even mario has that here. Pyra without Rex though? They're kind of a package deal.
Pokemon is popular enough to justify having 8 roster spots, in my opinion. Keep in mind that Sun and Moon were the big Nintendo games of 2016, the year the roster was decided, so i figured 2 Alola 'mons wasn't a crazy idea. After all, Brawl had 6 unique Pokemon characters when Mario only had 4. As long as the characters are unique enough in moveset and theming to justify their inclusion, I don't think too many people will mind.

I don't what's more confusing. That Erdrick is on there, or that his name is not Loto...
I really think we're getting a Dragon Quest character this time, Square Enix is very on-board with the switch, Dragon Quest is their second biggest franchise after Final Fantasy with 70 million sales, and Dragon Quest is just as associated with the Nintendo brand as Mega Man and Castlevania. I ultimately went with Erdrick for a DQ character, as he's seen as the face of NES Dragon Quest ala Classic Mega Man or Simon Belmont. I could also see Eight being added if they want a character who is more modern or is better known in the west (Plus, roster maker didn't have an Eight icon and I was too lazy to make one).

Also, regarding the use of Erdrick instead of Loto: it was the name the original NES translation used, although the GBC remake's translation used "Loto" (the character's Japanese name). However, Dragon Quest IX uses the name Erdrick instead of Loto, reversing the change made. Seeing how this is the most recent Western translation of his name, I opted to use Erdrick.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Smash is no meant to appeal just to Nintendo fans only. It's for gaming fans everywhere. Felt pretty obvious, besides the fact Sakurai, you know, outright said this; "I want this to be the best character game in the world." Yes, there's more Nintendo options the are amazing too. Not everybody agrees on which one they are.

LOZ has a lot of continuity, just different timelines. Not sure what that point was about. Oh, that some one-offs aren't added? We don't even know why Sakurai adds only certain LOZ characters in Smash. He almost didn't add Ganondorf, and was ready to cut Sheik come Brawl, who stayed in mainly due to some concept art. Since she was still a part of Zelda's overall gimmick, she needed the same artstyle to flow well as a moveset. Thus, she came back. As for Toon Link, he might've still gotten in Brawl even if he wasn't basically an updated Young Link with a new name and coat of paint. A very toony coat. Considering Sakurai outright noted he thinks a child Link is actually important to represent, Toon Link would've likely gotten in, just with a different moveset.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

TERRIBLE
Lol this is literally me though.

I just don't think we are at the point where guest series should have multiple characters yet. I'm not denying their iconicness or potential for newcomers, I just want them to remain guests for now and it be special that Sonic is there. But I know one of these games that will change and it could very well be this one ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
Smash is no meant to appeal just to Nintendo fans only. It's for gaming fans everywhere. Felt pretty obvious, besides the fact Sakurai, you know, outright said this; "I want this to be the best character game in the world." Yes, there's more Nintendo options the are amazing too. Not everybody agrees on which one they are.
everyone wants their game to be the 'best x game in the world'. that doesn't mean we're about to see tekken in street fighter (partially because they learned their ****ing lesson with that ****heap of a crossover XD). in fact, the big crossover **** is a very recent phenomenon and a bit troubling 'cause games need to establish their own identity and ****. constantly crossing over means you either need a super-generic setting that they can all fit in or you garble the ****ing theme by pulling it in a million different places at once. brawl had sse to get everyone on-board and in the same boat, smash 4 had 3p designs easy to integrate (though a lot of folks were put off by the pac-man wii-u stage). there's a reason a ton of folk even on these ****ing boards think :4bayonetta:, :4cloud:, and :4ryu: look and feel super-weird and out of place.

LOZ has a lot of continuity, just different timelines. Not sure what that point was about. Oh, that some one-offs aren't added? We don't even know why Sakurai adds only certain LOZ characters in Smash. He almost didn't add Ganondorf, and was ready to cut Sheik come Brawl, who stayed in mainly due to some concept art. Since she was still a part of Zelda's overall gimmick, she needed the same artstyle to flow well as a moveset. Thus, she came back. As for Toon Link, he might've still gotten in Brawl even if he wasn't basically an updated Young Link with a new name and coat of paint. A very toony coat. Considering Sakurai outright noted he thinks a child Link is actually important to represent, Toon Link would've likely gotten in, just with a different moveset.
oh god loz timeline ****

look, gonna do a favor here and mention that there's a reason that it's been the core 3 (sheik/tink on the side) because by and large no other characters come back. even sheik keeps getting ****ing referenced in later lozs through gear or lore or whatever. heard of ghirahim (or whatever his name is) lately? or majora? or literally anyone outside of the immediate game's storyline/universe aside from, at best, impa? and no, i'm not counting hyrule warriors because the explicit point of that game is to gather as much loz **** in one place and pray one of the character styles sticks with the player. they even have a wizzrobe as a ****ing playable. (does the wizzrobe have a name? **** if i know, i never touched him.) as far as tink, well, sakurai explicitly said 'yeah we're having two links so suck it you ****s' so that pretty much explains his presence.

that obvious enough for you?
not really, no. that doesn't say 'this isn't a port' that says 'this is a new entry into the franchise'. mega man legacy collection is a 'new entry to the mega man franchise' even though it's a ****ing port. try again.

OOPSIE DOUBLE POST welp

Last edited by a moderator:

One winged Devil

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4499-5767-3965
Pretty sure we're getting 6-8 news post launch, I think they will update most of the older cast, I can't wait to play as a Ganondrof who doesn't run like a playable old man.

SonicMario

Smash Master
people want to see sonic v mario, not tails v luigi.
Speak for yourself. Maybe not Tails Vs. Luigi specifically as much as Sonic Vs. Mario. But Sonic AND Tails Vs. Mario AND Luigi?

That's not only a fun full 4-player matchup ripe for a good party for fans of both Sonic and Mario for some friendly rival fun. But those are two of the most well-known duos in all of gaming history matching up together.

I'm not counting on it happening this game. At least not until possibly in the DLC period. But I could see that team battle match being very much an enticing reason to including Tails should they go for a 2nd Sonic rep. (And give the choice to people if whether or not they really want a 2nd Sonic character. If you really don't want more Sonic characters in your game. Simply just don't buy them. But the Sonic franchise's vast popularity plus those that are fine at least neutrally with buying all the characters should pull up a good profit for DLC)

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
you don't know it's all-new, just like i don't know it's a port-plus. so we need to chill on the 'its absolutely a new game' talk 'cause those words have not been uttered by anyone officially with ninty.
So let me get this straight. Nintendo teased a smash brothers game for the switch without implying it was a port in any way and of course unless that sort of thing is called out people reasonable assume its a new game.

Then Nintendo proceeds to let us know that the treehouse live will contain smash footage, and that their will be a smash tournament at E3 just ratcheting the hype level on this game even further, only so they can later smash all of that to pieces by revealing its a port? Why?

I know Nintendo's decisions don't always make the most sense to outside observers, but there is a difference between baffling and downright stupid. Nintendo isn't stupid.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
To me, I think Guests having just the main character makes them feel even more special. The series isn't just a Nintendo All-Stars game, but it's still Nintendo first and foremost. I feel Guests work better as 1 per their own specific franchise. Mind you, when a character branches off with their own set of games(Wario is a perfect example of this, but so are Rabbids), they feel like they hit the "special" category to me, while not simply just being another representation of the same 3rd party franchise.

And if we were to get Tails or Knuckles? I'll still enjoy the hell out of 'em anyway. Not how I would do it these days(my original fun roster had Knuckles and Sonic on it, after all!), but I honestly can't be arsed to treat is a legitimate issue. Now if the 3rd party cast got really huge compared to the 1st/2nd party? I might find it worth some criticism(see: Super Smash Flash 1, which was overloaded with Sonic characters, while barely having any Mario ones). I still want a balance.

that obvious enough for you?
At first I didn't think this was a hard confirmation, but the way the alert looks? Yeah, definitely a new game. Though a Splatoon II situation seems pretty reasonable as well.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I really doubt they'll add toon Zelda just to try and maintain Zelda's old moveset, they've never done that with any other character that's been significantly revamped and I don't see why they'd d it now.

While that is true it doesn't necessarily mean they'll add them, especially since it'll be the 3rd capcom representative and the hunter themselves is just a generic avatar character and not an iconic and recognizable figure like the other 3rd parties
Monster Hunter, an extremely successful, popular, and rising franchise in the gaming world that’s pushed almost 50 million games sold in just 14 years isn’t iconic or recognizable? I don’t think I can agree with that. While it’s a generic avatar, if they can make something work for MvC, I’m sure Sakurai could make it work.

Toon Zelda I can agree on.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
You and I both know that Tails and Eggman are more iconic than half the current Smash cast.

There are plenty of sound arguments for why third party series might not get multiple characters, but the iconic thing doesn't hold up when considering the likes of Tails, Eggman, or Chun-Li.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
The whole "port or not a port" discussion seems pretty pointless to me. We have been given no reason to even consider it is a port. Smash has never had a simple port made. Why now?

Pokken and Mario Kart had ports and what happened when those games were revealed? They were immediately revealed AS PORTS.

I can't believe this new Smash game is a port. If it was they would have said it was by now.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
It's not a port, if it was a port they would've revealed it as a port and shown it then and there, if it was a port they wouldn't be calling it "Super Smash Bros (Temp)", if it was a port they wouldn't have dropped that teaser and then left us in the dark for months.

This clearly isn't a ****ing port can yall stop with that now?

Monster Hunter, an extremely successful, popular, and rising franchise in the gaming world that’s pushed almost 50 million games sold in just 14 years isn’t iconic or recognizable? I don’t think I can agree with that. While it’s a generic avatar, if they can make something work for MvC, I’m sure Sakurai could make it work.

Toon Zelda I can agree on.
Yeah I never said that, I was talking about the character themselves, not the game, the monster hunter avatar character isn't really recognizable or iconic.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This is the best way to look at it realistically; there's a lot of good reasons to suggest it's not a port. We have a statement that implies it's not a port. We don't have an outright confirm it's a new game.

It's perfectly reasonable to believe it's a new game. It's also perfectly reasonable to want more information than assuming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom