• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Thought experiment, What change would be made to a character to utterly ruin them for you even if they get into smash (IE Donte costume).

Also What character being added to smash would utterly ruin the game in your eyes, and for a challenge no non video game characters. Because then everyone would either say Goku or Shrek.
Banjo and Kazooie have a vehicle based moveset, with no reference to the first 2 games at all. Their home stage is the Showdown Town.

It's hard to come up with a character that would genuinely disappoint me (unless its something like we get more than 1 unique Fire Emblem character, but those arent specific characters rather than an excessive quality), but I guess a Rabbid would come close. Even in the Mario game I think theyre way more annoying than funny or endearing lol.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Thought experiment, What change would be made to a character to utterly ruin them for you even if they get into smash (IE Donte costume).
Steve's Animations being like Minecraft: Story Mode
Also What character being added to smash would utterly ruin the game in your eyes, and for a challenge no non video game characters. Because then everyone would either say Goku or Shrek.
Sans, just Sans...
>Ninten mod in Brawl's battlefield.

I'm not fooled by this picture, I can tell what kind of stage this picture was taken on.
Well, *Cough* LaxChris *Cough* Decided it was good enough to have a video...
That dude is so desperate for views...

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868

For Vaati, a moveset with no wind magic whatsoever. That is simply not true to Vaati and a waste of his potential.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

If they forced an necessary gimmick for my most wanted character like managing a resource bar or being heavily reliant on RNG or worst of all not being true to the character for the sake of the gimmick.
Imagine if a demon summoner had to mash B to get buffs based on what demons he was using instead of actually just summoning the demon.

As for a character I'd quit Smash on, there's not much for me, but it'd definitely be a character from an unreleased game (again). If a character like that was put into a mascot fighter over characters with fans that are desperate for their most favorites to get in, it'd leave a bad taste in my mouth. You're going to spend YHVH knows how much resources in putting into Smash and for what? Promotion? Advertising space? No thanks.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

Going with Nuts & Bolts Banjo & Kazooie would be a really tough pill to swallow. We don't need a reminder that when Microsoft got the rights, Microsoft and Banjo's original creators **** all over what made them fun and unique.

I'd answer the second question but my answer is obvious and despite giving into temptation many times I truly don't want to **** on people's favorite characters (just want give my honest POV). And even then, I'd be fine with them under specific circumstances. I'd give my runner-up, but I honestly can't think of another video game character that would ruin the game for me. I'm sure if I think longer I could come up with somebody.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
The only character I actively don't want are the Rabbids. They're like the Minions of video games and they annoy me to no end.
I used to not want Steve, but i'm cool with him now.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The only character I actively don't want are the Rabbids. They're like the Minions of video games and they annoy me to no end.
I used to not want Steve, but i'm cool with him now.
Yeah...

It's bad enough that those buggers showed up in TMNT Smash Up, which they had no business being in. This would be the only time a slot would get genuinely :ultrob:bed.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

For the first question, well my answer would be the Donte costume.

As for the second question, the only character that I do not want to see in Smash in any way shape or form is a Persona character.

Last edited by a moderator:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Hey, is it just me, or the JRPG series in Smash, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, and Xenoblade Chronicles tend to get a lot flak from the Smash community? I've just had this feeling the those three series were really unpopular with the community.
IMO definitely not Xenoblade, it seems that there’s a lot of people that want more of it, not to mention that the Smash fanbase and Xenoblade fanbase are very close. There are a lot of people that want Elma and Rex/Pyra.

Fire Emblem gets a lot of flak for having too many characters. I don’t really mind because with the whole numbering system and echoes, you can merge Lucina and Chrom to get just 5 so that helps. Here’s hoping for Edelgard.

Pokémon is a semi situation. Some people are positive over a potential Sun & Moon Pokemon to join the roster. But if any recent events indicate anything, most of the flak seems to be coming from Incineroar.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

IMO definitely not Xenoblade, people want more of it, not to mention that the Smash fanbase and Xenoblade fanbase are very close. There are a lot of people that want Elma and Rex/Pyra.

Fire Emblem gets a lot of flak for having too many characters. I don’t really mind because with the hole numbering system and echoes, you can merge Lucina and Chrom to get just 5.

Pokémon is a semi situation. Some people are positive over a potential Sun & Moon Pokemon to join the roster. But if any recent events indicate anything, most of the flak seems to be coming from Incineroar.
Ah, I see. So it's just me then lol.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Make FirestormNeos FirestormNeos do an ANGERY with Five Easy Steps!
1. *Making spicy meme post* "Messages have been posted since you loaded this page. View them?"
2. *click* "There are more posts to display. View them?"
3. *click* *Refreshes, deleting my spicy meme* *incoherent screaming*
4. ?????
5. Profit!

Wait, are you referring to characters already in, or newcomers on our wishlist?

I wouldn't say Goku. I'd say "anything political, anything with blackface, etc."

Adam Malcovich.

Geno, Incomplete Pokemon Starter Sets, and Kratos might annoy me like how Little Mac and Chrom did, but they wouldn't "ruin" Smash.

Last edited:

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
Ah, I see. So it's just me then lol.
A big part of it could be that RPGs in general, but especially Pokemon and Fire Emblem (and Xenoblade too but like mentioned not many people complain about Xeno inclusion) tend to sell themselves on increasing number of playable characters from previous games (something like 600 FE units and 800 Pokemon), so they tend to get more push for inclusion out of sheer numbers. This means that a) they tend to have more characters and b) people are less happy in general on the choices.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Fire Emblem gets a lot of flak for having too many characters. I don’t really mind because with the whole numbering system and echoes, you can merge Lucina and Chrom to get just 5 so that helps. Here’s hoping for Edelgard.
Honestly, if FE had more variety with their weaponry in the roster, then I would be ok with their character amount. But when only two characters seldomly use something outside of a similar weapon that all the reps have, then it gets questionable.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Glasses Homura is the only Homura If Isaac got in and he wasn't beard Isaac, he'd be a complete waste.

Shantae. Her inclusion wouldn't ruin the game for me, that's a little extreme, but she's one of the few characters that's commonly brought up that I just don't like. Tbh, I'd be fine with Goku just because we are so close to Crusade being a real game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Iridium

Smash Hero

Banjo-Kazooie, but Kazooie only does something in Banjo's taunts, idle poses and victory poses.

And no to Waluigi. I just...can't.

Last edited:

Nintrendo

Smash Cadet

Don't know if this is real or not just looked really interesting.(If you guys talked about this already my bad ill delete it)

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace

There's really no character that could be added that would "ruin" the game imo, since I already got some of my most wanted. I guess the worst-case scenario for me would be them adding a character that I'm not a fan of (i.e. Rabbids, Steve, another Fire Emblem) that is above Brawl Meta Knight/Bayo levels of overpowered.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I legitimately never want to get dragged to my doom like that, though. It's funny, I'll admit. Waiting to see Ridley get caught in the bus.
Usually the victims is put under the bus, Kapp'n takes it further
Please let this be a normal field trip...
With Kapp'n? No way!
oooh...
*singing* Cruising on down Gaur Plains, you're relaxed and feeling good *yeah* next thing that you know you seeing *wa-ha-ha-hoo* A Yoshii in the neighborhood?
Overall disappointing. 9 unique fighters is only two more than Sm4sh, and I expect a lot more than that considering how successful the Switch is. DLC echoes likely won't happen either, as there's no need to rush fighters. Picks like Impa, Viridi, Skull Kid, and Sylux aren't exactly exciting either. Like, I wouldn't buy those characters if I wasn't inclined to have the full roster.

That being said, I'll piggyback off of this and ask you guys to rate this lineup:

Before I start:
- Echoes are italicized
- Slashes indicate that one of the two characters will get in

Base Roster
Incineroar (Pokemon)
Sora/Geno (Square Enix)
Steve (Microsoft)
Ken (Street Fighter - Ryu)
Shadow (Sonic the Hedgehog - Sonic)*

DLC
Sora & Roxas/Geno (The one that didn't make it into base, Roxas is added if Sora is DLC) (Square Enix)
Isaac (Golden Sun)
Rex & Pyra (Xenoblade Chronicles 2)
Chorus Kids (Rhythm Heaven)
Spring Man & Ribbon Girl (ARMS)
Bandana Waddle Dee (Kirby)
Paper Mario (Paper Mario)
Lloyd Irving (Tales of Symphonia)
Jin Kazama/Heihachi (Tekken)
Joker/Yu Narukami (Persona)
Arle Nadja & Second Puyo Puyo character (Puyo Puyo)
Dante (Devil May Cry)
Rayman (Rayman)
Crash Bandicoot & Coco Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot)
Banjo & Kazooie (Banjo-Kazooie)
Tails (Sonic the Hedgehog - Semi clone of Sonic)*
Octoling (Splatoon - Semi-clone of Inklings)
Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong Country - Semi-clone of Diddy Kong)

*If a Sonic character is in base roster, it will be Shadow as a Sonic echo. If not, it will be Tails as a Sonic semi-clone

Overall 22 characters, though it's more like 20 if you account for the fact that three are echoes and three are semi-clones. I could easily see this being done over the course of 2 - 3 years, which is likely what this game's lifespan is going to be. I also expect the DLC team to be slightly larger and more dedicated due to the Switch's success and Nintendo's new push for DLC in their games, so anywhere from 7 - 10 characters a year is reasonable.

DLC is going to be where Nintendo hits hardest in terms of hype picks because they need to sell us on the merit of the characters alone.
I like it, the only thing I'd do is swap Dante with Ammy, and add Shantae, but other than that it's great

Chumpodile

Smash Journeyman

Don't know if this is real or not just looked really interesting.(If you guys talked about this already my bad ill delete it)
I don't think that sakurai would make his limbs bend like that.

This really just looks like a mod

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The hate over Donte is over exaggerated so ****ing bad. Like, I know most people that complain about him hasn't even played the game. It's just that it's Dante, not that the character is bad, or the design for that matter, just the fact that people don't like that that is Dante. At least in that DmC Alternate Universe.

Potato_

Smash Lord

Is...

Is that a ****ing KAKARIKO VILLAGE FROM TP STAGE?????

That alone is enough for me to consider it fake. It's such a completely out there stage idea.

Not to mention I highly doubt Steve would be in full diamond armor, just makes him look like a giant block of green.

D

Deleted member

Banjo-Kazooie, but Kazooie only does something in Banjo's taunts, idle poses and victory poses.
Someone here did a great job selling me on them just by comparing Banjo to a mecha, and making me aware that bird gun is an actual thing in the games, so this would piss me off as well, and I've never even played a Banjo-Kazooie game.

Nintrendo

Smash Cadet
Is...

That alone is enough for me to consider it fake. It's such a completely out there stage idea.

Not to mention I highly doubt Steve would be in full diamond armor, just makes him look like a giant block of green.
I thought it was Gerudo Valley at first maybe a boss stage

Nintrendo

Smash Cadet
Is...

A update was posted about this actually
"He doesn’t start match with armor. And he starts with wood sword. Can upgrade his other tools as well. Haven’t seen final smash yet. "

No it's 100% Kakariko Village from TP?

Wanna know why? Well not only did I recognize that **** immediatley...

I also found the stage mod for it. And the image is the EXACT same.
Oh well nevermind than lol

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226

It looks bad as a stage. The polygons are really BAD, especially when comparing to other similar stages in Ultimate. Compare the rocks from that stage to Gerudo Valley to see the difference.
SSBUWebsiteDarkSamus4.jpg

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
It looks bad as a stage. The polygons are really bad, especially when comparing to other similar stages in Ultimate. Compare the rocks to see the difference.
View attachment 167578
Sorry if this is off topic, but...

DAMN Dark Samus and Dark Pit look so good, I really want to play this game so badly right now. I also like the nice nod here, seeing how they’re both Dark counterparts.

Iridium

Smash Hero
For real. Took 2 seconds scrolling down Google images.

I miss the Ken dude.
I for one will wait until one of these so called "leakers" actually show off "footage" instead of images that are either blurry or at awkward angles. That Ken leak is by far the best one we've seen for sure.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
For real. Took 2 seconds scrolling down Google images.

I miss the Ken dude.
Remember that fake leak of :ultisabelle: punching with boxing gloves? Those were fun times.

The hate over Donte is over exaggerated so ****ing bad. Like, I know most people that complain about him hasn't even played the game. It's just that it's Dante, not that the character is bad, or the design for that matter, just the fact that people don't like that that is Dante. At least in that DmC Alternate Universe.
It would help if the design wasn't clearly a self-insert of the game's director.

Chrono.

Sorry if this is off topic, but...

DAMN Dark Samus and Dark Pit look so good, I really want to play this game so badly right now. I also like the nice nod here, seeing how they’re both Dark counterparts.
Dark Pit's eyelashes got the real upgrade.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Ok to answer my own thought experiment, seriously had to think hard about this one.

If they made Simon Belmont into Simon Yagami from Judgement i woulda been, "Nope I'm out". Seriously even if you like that game very good reasons to like it, its a Death Note Game. Hands Down

And for non goku character that i wouldnt buy smash over.... Kratos. And this is from a fan of God of War too. Just no, didnt even like him in soul calibur. He can be in Mortal Kombat or nothing thats it.

Edit: That and sony ever working with nintendo willingly with how spiteful they are is one of the signs of armageddon.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
No, the character is actually bad. Everything from his design, to his motivations, to his backstory, to his actions, to his other character interactions. There's honestly nothing I can say is "good" about the character.
The context that it's supposed to be Dante (and "better" Dante at that) only makes it worse, but really, he'd still be lauded as a laughable character notwithstanding.

Honestly, if he was supposed to be Nero, it'd actually make a tiny bit more sense because Nero does get really angry and does like to insult people and gloat about how he's going to beat them up.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

Yeah let me just shoot that down before it gets the slightest bit of traction.

https://gamebanana.com/maps/192933

Here's the stage used.

Yeah, no. As a creative writing major, he is a horribly written character from one of the absolute worst scripts I've ever had the displeasure of hearing/reading. I will say that the game itself does get overhated a bit, because it's a perfectly acceptable beat em up and I would argue the game has better level design than any of the first 4 DmC games, but EVERYTHING about the story and its attrocious characters makes my skin crawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom