• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
It's not just about having them. Having 50 Bayonettas or peach's would be just as bad. It's about a diverse cast of shapes and personalities. With very few exceptions the girls in Smash are all very similar to each other. Compare Mario to Link. Or Snake. Or Ryu. Or Pikachu. They're all very different. Now compare Peach to Zelda. Compare Samus to Lucina. The only one who feels extremely unique personality wise is Bayonetta.
But then there'd be more females than males. If your idea of diversity is way more females than males, then I have to break the news that that isn't diverse at all.
ok but just gender swapping people doesn't create diversity or good female characters. It literally just makes them a male character who is now not male.
I feel like we're missing each other's points.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
It's the "youtube rewind" method of representation. Just have or mention [INSERT MINORITY] a certain amount and then boom, it's proper representation.

On God if someone gave me a ****ing pichu toy i'd slap the **** out of them
What’s wrong with you? Pichu did nothing wrong!

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
:ultbayonetta::ulticeclimbers::ultinkling::ultisabelle::ultlucina::ultpalutena::ultpeach::ultsheik::ultwiifittrainer::ultzelda::ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultzss::4villagerf::4wendy:: all very similar

Please tell me you are joking
I'm talking about personalities. Not looks. Granted I really only know these characters from smash, and I thought Dark Samus was supposed to be an asexual entity. But personality wise it feels like the women draw from a smaller pool than the men.

OK. I'm just gonna lay down my sword and shield and surrender because this fight is just gonna keep going around in circles.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Does anyone actually care what gender they are if they're characters people actually like?
On a personal level? Yes, because gender is also a part of the character.

In general, it' doesn't matter much, but if you want to have a diverse cast of characters, a few girls wouldn't hurt.

LetterO

Smash Lord
I'm talking about personalities. Not looks. Granted I really only know these characters from smash, and I thought Dark Samus was supposed to be an asexual entity. But personality wise it feels like the women draw from a smaller pool than the men.
If you only really know them from Smash then you shouldn't be going around saying they all have similar personalities.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
If you only really know them from Smash then you shouldn't be going around saying they all have similar personalities.
Well then maybe they should do more to bring out the uniqueness of their personalities in SMASH rather then forcing me to play their games to understand what makes them different.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Similar personalities?

:ultbayonetta: and :ultisabelle: could hardly be further from each other in terms of personality.

Peach and Lucina may both be princesses but they've got entirely different drives, outlooks and dreams.

I agree that there should be more female representation but selling the current reps short only hurts things.

Double K

Smash Lord
>all the girls are similar in personality

taking away characters where gender is a skin (Corrin, Villager, Robin, Inkling) and Nana who is a partner, and D. Samus

Bayonetta: Confident lady in control
Peach: 'Pretty Princess'
Daisy: Turbo Tomboy Princess
Zelda: Wise and calm ruler
Samus/ZSS: Badass military-type lady
Lucina: Light Novel protagonist, but a girl
Palutena: Dorky Goddess nerd
Shiek: Ninja

TOTALLY SIMILAR GUYS

osby

Smash Obsessed

OK. I'm just gonna lay down my sword and shield and surrender because this fight is just gonna keep going around in circles.
Half of the guys have the same serious action hero personalities on surface. Girls still have quite a lot variety, partially thanks to avatar characters.

Also, if you want diverse personalities, Smash isn't the best place.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Look, diversity does not mean proper representation. Adding a bunch of people from an unrepresented group just to meet a quota or to say, "look at all of these girls/minorities we put in" is an extremely shallow form of being represented. Yes, women are underrepresented in not only smash, but media as a whole. But trying to make things like Ghostbusters, i.e. just making male characters have a different gender identity, is not how you create a well written, diverse cast. Just adding more isn't the way to make women more prominent in any cast whatsoever if they're only there to be a token woman

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Well then maybe they should do more to bring out the uniqueness of their personalities in SMASH rather then forcing me to play their games to understand what makes them different.
I don't mean to drag on this conversation, but I still don't see how they aren't unique. I mean, you can't say Sheik and Peach are even close to the same person, for example. The female characters still have different movesets, playstyles, taunts, animations, etc. (overall).

Shouldn't that be enough to prove that?

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
How so?

How does Bayonetta's playstyle not bring her personality across? How about Isabelle?

Heck, even Daisy's little animation quirks put across a different personality than the Princess she's copied from.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I don't mean to drag on this conversation, but I still don't see how they aren't unique. I mean, you can't say Sheik and Peach are even close to the same person, for example. The females still have different movesets, playstyles, taunts, etc.

Shouldn't that do enough to prove that?
Whatever. I'll just leave with my own personal hangups in tow and surrender. You win.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I've finally reached...
Darkhon
...in the World of Light.

I'm... 99% sure that I've beaten every Spirit up to this point. I really wish there was like a checklist or something.

Lollipopped

Smash Lord
So I take it there was an argument about the female characters, huh... Glad I wasn't here earlier, because I'm waaay too passionate about that particular subject. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Iridium

Smash Hero
Whatever. I'll just leave with my own personal hangups in tow and surrender. You win.
You don't have to take it like that...

It's just that we don't understand why the characters aren't unique to you. I don't want to look cruel or anything, but I'm just curious.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
I mean you're allowed to have your opinion, and you're completely justified in wanting more women in the game. But the fact of the matter is, most video game writers don't know how to write a female character. What we have in the game is as diverse as we're gonna get, and it's pretty damn good as far as most female casts go

Double K

Smash Lord
I mean if you can't see how Bayonetta "If you need to know how to treat a lady, go ask your mother!" is different from Lucina's whole "Reclaim the future" schtick, I think the problem is with you and not Smash

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Here's a topic, who do you think got the biggest buff in transition?

I'd say Pichu and Ivysaur.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
The darkest depths of pixiv.

You don't know the things I've witnessed down there. I emerge from that place a changed man- a broken man.
Hm, in my short experience, I’ve never seen anything bad, but then again I only search for Ridley and Mewtwo stuff there or I haven’t gone down to the deepest, darkest depths. Speaking of, that’s where I got my Ben Swolo Ridley pfp.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
OK. I'll say I don't like the gamecube controller and think it's bad compared to the standarised layout I'm used too.
And I've never watched top level Melee. All I know is that this game is way faster that Brawl and Smash4.
Melee's engine is really good for movement and speed. Ultimate has good organic pace and the engine is fairly solid, but Melee's just much faster on a technical level.

Movement is in bold because that's the key word. Due to the techniques and the leniency of the engine, the movement is extremely fluid and, once mastered, feels really good to play.

So far the general early consensus from top Melee players that I've seen is: "I like this game. It's not Melee/won't replace Melee, but it is enjoyable enough".

And that's fine. I think the way Smash is being handled now is the best way to move the series forward as a competitive game. Melee's fun to play and watch, but it also has an high skill ceiling due to its complexity. Ultimate's mechanics make it more accessible and consistent to progress down the line, and are much easier to understand.

Melee will die (everything comes to an end) but it will be due to the meta growing stale or GCN/Wii/CRTs all dying out. A GameCube mini is basically the only way Melee could survive the latter, and even then people wouldn't like the input lag of a modern TV/monitor. Not to mention Nintendo would fail once again to manufacture enough systems for making setups easy to obtain for tournament play/practice.

Last edited:

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
Anyone else here hurting for a boss rush mode? I can't believe that wasn't added in. It would have been so easy.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Anyone else here hurting for a boss rush mode? I can't believe that wasn't added in. It would have been so easy.
Yeah, I'm hoping that they add it in as free DLC somewhere down the line. Maybe with a new page of Challenges.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
heads up guys, screenshots of the second DLC just leaked and, well, let's just say it's looking pretty crisp

LetterO

Smash Lord
About Spirits.

I'm still not sure if they deconfirm or not, and im slightly siding with deconfirm. However, that's not to say the missing Spirits aren't suspicious. There seems to be a main 3 when it comes to missing spirits. Poochy, Sylux, and Porky.

Poochy and Sylux may just be promotional spirits like the Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee Spirits, but Porky baffles me. Porky is not present in the game at all. No spirit, no boss, no online icon, nada. The fact that Ness' Father and the Absolutely Safe Capsule are Spirits but Porky isn't really makes me think something is up. If he was being saved for a DLC boss, that doesn't explain why they couldn't still add an online icon or a Spirit of him in base game. I feel like he may just really be a character. I don't know why Nintendo would choose him, but I got a hunch that we may just see him.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I mean if you can't see how Bayonetta "If you need to know how to treat a lady, go ask your mother!" is different from Lucina's whole "Reclaim the future" schtick, I think the problem is with you and not Smash
You don't have to take it like that...

It's just that we don't understand why the characters aren't unique to you. I don't want to look cruel or anything, but I'm just curious.
OK. I've said a couple times that Bayonetta is the exception and people are still using her against me. So....

Secondly, I don't really know. Especially in this game, Zelda, Peach, Daisy and Isabelle all seam very similar. Peppy, cheery, sassy ladies. Then Samus, Sheik, and Lucina both come across as silent stoic warriors. The avatar characters are kind of different (Inkling especially), but they also all have a Male counterpart so it feels like it shouldn't count/ Bayonetta's really different, but she's the only one. Palutena certainly has that kind of nerdy goddess personality, but if you don't know about the Guidances then you don't get any of it. So she just falls in with Samus and co.

So... that. That's where I'm coming from. This is what I got from them JUST from playing Smash. (BTW, previous Zelda's would have been in with Samus and co.)

And along those lines, Fatal Frame's Ouse Kurosawa should join the roster.

About Spirits.

I'm still not sure if they deconfirm or not, and im slightly siding with deconfirm. However, that's not to say the missing Spirits aren't suspicious. There seems to be a main 3 when it comes to missing spirits. Poochy, Sylux, and Porky.

Poochy and Sylux may just be promotional spirits like the Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee Spirits, but Porky baffles me. Porky is not present in the game at all. No spirit, no boss, no online icon, nada. The fact that Ness' Father and the Absolutely Safe Capsule are Spirits but Porky isn't really makes me think something is up. If he was being saved for a DLC boss, that doesn't explain why they couldn't still add an online icon or a Spirit of him in base game. I feel like he may just really be a character. I don't know why Nintendo would choose him, but I got a hunch that we may just see him.
Especially if the DLC characters franchises get spirits of their own, I could totally see new World of Light paths being added with new bosses. I'd love it if they brought back Rayquaza, Porky, and Tabuu as bosses. Maybe Verge's Ender Dragon. Sans! I liked world of light. Had a blast playing it (and I was expecting to hate it). So I'd love to get more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom