• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash UK Discussion Thread - Check first post for tournaments, facebook info and videos!

rustediron

Smash Lord
@VA
Whilst this does sound really condescending, I do get the impression you don't seem to understand that Prof and Fuzz hype up and exaggerate their own wins because, well, that's what they do, and we derive a reasonable amount of amusement for it; not, as you seem to be taking it, because they don't respect you as a player.

I mean, of course they respect you; you're probably the only person in the UK that they bother going full on 100% on, which just makes them even happy that they beat you and as a consequence even more likely to hype up (and exaggerate) their win against you :S

Basically we <3 you VA, don't leave us :(

@leffen + co
Also this talk about what a 'good player' is is absolute bull****. It's a term where there's OBVIOUS equivocation in its usage; it's only really worth arguing over when you specify how you're going to use it first.

It's quite plain that whether someone is 'good' or not is going to differ depending on whether you're talking in terms of tech skill, or in terms of international placement, or in terms of national placement, or even simply in terms of hypothetical placement were they to have a stronger mental game (though the last one is obviously a little dodgy, considering the mental game is a very large part of smash).

Speaking in terms of 'when it actually matters' is equally ridiculous. You obviously can't actually mean 'when it actually matters', as 'actually matters' doesn't mean anything; how much something matters is a scale, and how far up the scale something places is dependent on loads of factors, like previous hype, prestige, money, and grudges. It only really makes sense to specify a specific point on the scale in the first place, and then talk about people in that context.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm not denying that you can't use terms like 'when it actually matters' or 'good player' at all, as people obviously do, and understand perfectly. But what I am saying, is that these phrases require some context within which they are used, and they often pick out specific situations based on the context that they're used in.

The way leffen + co were using it seemed to mask this fact, and if you actually realise the function these words serve, then it's plainly obvious that the best way of understanding what leffen + co are actually saying is the trivial statement that "VA's tournament placing (i.e. what they are talking about when things 'actually matter', or makes a 'good player') is reflected by VA's tournament placing (i.e. the evidence they're giving to support this claim)."

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
just book for yourself lol

Train:

National Express East Anglia
Saturday 16th April
07:30 - london liverpool street
10:12 - thetford

£8

Coach:

National Express

Norwich -> London
Sun 17 Apr 2011 10:30 - 13:50

£6.50

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
arent you guys gonna defend yourselves? o_o

nah but srs we have some pretty good players outside of top 3 but theyre not as consistent :/
I'm not really gonna lie LOOOL, but it doesn't mean I want to stay at the same level forever.

and consistent or not the point is we simply don't place as well as you guys

rustediron

Smash Lord
woo, hype. yeah.

...I have mixed feelings about Blastzone, but we should definitely try and support the few TOs that we have :S

j3ly

Smash Champion
fuzzy - defend ourselves against who?

is their some, spotty, smelly European lummox posting on here we should be offended by? :s

Ykana

Smash Cadet
Calzorz in WF of BIG MASSIVE EU TOURNEY.

UK BRAWL AT EU LEVEL > UK MELEE AT EU LEVEL

Flame Away

Jolteon

man its just uber gay having a FFer that can gimp like a floaty can LMAO

and look at his ****ing dthrow

Jolteon

is what untechable? the dthrow? i doubt it i think he just didnt time any techs

Tamoo

Smash Master
yeah thought so, I seem to remember a lot of people seemed to think sonic dthrow was untechable in brawl for a couple of months, and when they realised it, they tried to keep it really quiet lol

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Holy *** this thread ***** my namesearch.

I have no idea how good smakis is and I hate ever claiming I'm better than anyone.

However, linking to my match vs CunningKitsune isn't exactly fair as he beat Kels, Tink and several other top players that tournament. He is like a living legend (wrote the ORIGINAL Fox guide) and simply was too smart for me.

I am working directly to improve and I promise to entertain and compete as best I can. I think I am constantly underrated by some and overrated by others. I am just a solid player that is working hard, nothing more nothing less as far as performance. The difference is my playstyle. We will see what I can do once I am here next spring. I have only been playing ICs for just under a year so I have alot to learn.

Hopefully I don't disappoint, and I hope to live up to expectations.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DTszfjGMVU
Just watched this match Smakis v. Professor Pro and...Smakis won, that might not be common but his play seemed pretty solid. Grabs were pretty good and stuff. He doesn't play at all like I do but I thought he wasn't bad at all. The big issue is that I am used to NTSC foxes which are MUCH better against ICs because of Usmash. PAL fox will make me much happier =]

Jolteon

loool it was like watching mvc :D

peef: im sure you'll do fine lol, and if not you'll get good experience

Top Bottom