• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash UK Discussion Thread - Check first post for tournaments, facebook info and videos!

Heartstring

Smash Legend
no man, tournaments around exams will be dead, id reckon like early feb for best choice as everyone and their mothers will have done exams by then
*opinionmac*
also, if i were to host a brawl/melee tournament at-say-sheffield in springtime, would melee players attend or are london melee-ers too lazy to go all the way up there XP

X1-12

Smash Champion
no man, tournaments around exams will be dead, id reckon like early feb for best choice as everyone and their mothers will have done exams by then
*opinionmac*
also, if i were to host a brawl/melee tournament at-say-sheffield in springtime, would melee players attend or are london melee-ers too lazy to go all the way up there XP
If there's good travel links with london, its likely. I am actually planning on running a melee national in Reading late march/april so timings wouldn't be best, perhaps you could make yours a brawl only national? mine isn't confirmed yet but should be soon (get my ucas off soon should be able to book) I have a likely venue but idk.

The Filth

Smash Lord
Erm, he didn't mention a national at all. He was asking if the melee players would go to a tournament, as in, extending a little courtesy and gauging interest.

The first two things he sees are someone saying "lol we used to all the time" followed by "do brawl only".

Christ.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
I don't understand what's wrong? He asked if London melee players were too lazy to travel, I stated that we've traveled for our events many times in the past.

Also, what do you define as a 'national' if it's not a tournament? An international tournament is not the likely answer so it's not surprising for him to assume it's a national.

X1-12

Smash Champion
Erm, he didn't mention a national at all. He was asking if the melee players would go to a tournament, as in, extending a little courtesy and gauging interest.

The first two things he sees are someone saying "lol we used to all the time" followed by "do brawl only".

Christ.
Monthlies usually are just regional things, the fact he was talking about Londoners going up to Sheffield made me think he was talking about a national. I suggested a possible solution being making it a brawl only event to stop it clashing. What is the problem?

Heartstring

Smash Legend
ok, i was just seeing how much it would be so i can see how much i would need to charge and how large the venue would be, get about 40 brawlers and 40 melee-ers each and i would need a reasonable sized venue. with the size of england regionals and nationals are practically the same thing.
i'm simply planning miles ahead, i want ot help the scene out but unhelpful comments arent really going to help me, i jsut want london melee-ers personal opinions, woudl you YOURSELF travel or not?
that is all.
also seeing as im not a melee-player in any sense of the word, id want people to seed it for me

rustediron

Smash Lord
ok, i was just seeing how much it would be so i can see how much i would need to charge and how large the venue would be, get about 40 brawlers and 40 melee-ers each and i would need a reasonable sized venue. with the size of england regionals and nationals are practically the same thing.
i'm simply planning miles ahead, i want ot help the scene out but unhelpful comments arent really going to help me, i jsut want london melee-ers personal opinions, woudl you YOURSELF travel or not?
that is all.
also seeing as im not a melee-player in any sense of the word, id want people to seed it for me
So why weren't the previous two posts helpful? You wanted to know whether Londoners would be up for travelling: from Jolteon you got the response that, in the past, this is what they have had to do, and have done; make whatever inductive inference you want from that.

You then wanted to konw whether you would get a decent turnout from the melee community; X1-12's post helpfully informs you that, were you to hold it at a time too close to his tournament, then you may polarising the community between yourselves and not have a particularly great turnout at either event.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
fine then point made. on the other hand me having melee there wont split the community, as its practically guaranteed that all melee palyers will go to the melee only event rather than the joint event. i jsut wanted to know a bit about melee's response, dont kill me XD

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
:dazwa: Just to remind people just in case they forgot and to also remind some of the haters such Tesco Crew who want my demise....I won GT4 and remain the best in the UK :dazwa:

LOOOL BUTTTT yeah is there a Monthly going on in Dec since I remember some talk about a potential monthly going on Dec and Jan and it would be good to get in another monthly...hoping there is a decent turnout and all since this snow is kind of getting silly but on a good date things could work out.

:dazwa: Just in case you were distracting from that in the middle segment I would once again like to remind you that I am the best in the UK and I destoryed everyone at GT4 without even L-Cancelling....sorry my haters plus Tesco Crew wish upon my demise and wish the worst upon only for me to win and then continously rub it in your face at every given opportunity and Charles feeling naked without his title....but that's the way Prof rolls. :dazwa:

Ramzeh

Smash Ace
:dazwa: Just to remind people just in case they forgot and to also remind some of the haters such Tesco Crew who want my demise....I won GT4 and remain the best in the UK :dazwa:

LOOOL BUTTTT yeah is there a Monthly going on in Dec since I remember some talk about a potential monthly going on Dec and Jan and it would be good to get in another monthly...hoping there is a decent turnout and all since this snow is kind of getting silly but on a good date things could work out.

:dazwa: Just in case you were distracting from that in the middle segment I would once again like to remind you that I am the best in the UK and I destoryed everyone at GT4 without even L-Cancelling....sorry my haters plus Tesco Crew wish upon my demise and wish the worst upon only for me to win and then continously rub it in your face at every given opportunity and Charles feeling naked without his title....but that's the way Prof rolls. :dazwa:
truely inspiring
*applause*

VA

Smash Hero
I dun like it, I wan stages dat r normal.

Swizzy if you're viewing this thread (I just saw you are) ring me bbz

Yeniths

East Midlands!
On all cubes? how does that work? did you burn it onto a gamecube sized disk or something I've no clue =/

smakis

Smash Ace
I ****, that's how it works.

sd medialauncher, with that you can load burned discs without modding the gamecube. And with burned minidiscs of course.

Yeniths

East Midlands!
How much is a SD medialauncher thing? and could I buy a burned minidisc of you Fuzz or something? I'd love to play modded Melee on a normal cube...if its as easy as that sounds?

smakis

Smash Ace
depends on where you buy it, I think it was the same site as fuzzy bought his from that I checked today, it had gone up to 40 pounds (from 25 =P). I bet you can find it cheaper elsewhere though. And it is easy, plug specialsuperawesomechocolatecoatedmemorycard with sdcard into memory slot A, insert disc, boot it up, load homebrew software, load game, take out specialsuperawesomechocolatecoatedmemorycard, insert normal memory card, play.

Remember though some gamecubes needs to have their lasers adjusted in order to read burned games. iirc 2/3 of fuzzys cubes worked.

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
all them worked smakis

http://www.gameseek.co.uk/pd/Multij8x0fk04ak3/Datel_SD_Media_Launcher_1GB_for_Wii_and_Gamecube

they only have about 2/3 left in stock, I asked earlier. Postage is £2/3

The minidisks that worked for me were verbatim mini DVD-R 1-4X printable (10 pack) costs like £7
I tried a cheaper disc but it crashed a lot

with this you can just put it on as many gamecubes as possible cause all you need is to load it then you can take the sd card out :p

so you basically put the sd memory card in, run the CD, take the CD out put modded smash in, and run software! (choosing PAL not PAL 60, hold b while loading the game)

then you can take the sd card reader out and do it on another cube :D

its still a bit silly to waste £25-40 just to load homebrew if you ask me, but I run events so now I can put it on loads of cubes ^_^

smakis

Smash Ace
didn't your modded cube (which is now broken, and only allowed for one setup) cost like 60 pounds? =)

j3ly

Smash Champion
my cube is a str8 as 2 planks. by my family name, he shall not associate with these modded melee cubes

rustediron

Smash Lord
Interviewer: Wow, two gap years? That's rather a long time, I'm sure you managed to achieve quite a lot in that period. Could you go over it in detail for me?

Tamoo: Well, I spent the first year getting really good at a video game, but then I wasn't quite as good as I thought I was, and lost £50 gambling on a tournament match. After I'd reached a certain level, I wasn't really realistically going to be able to improve past my current level, so I decided I'd branch out into playing children's trading card games for my second year.

LOL j/k I worked on a nuclear reactor at Oxford

Top Bottom