• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash UK Discussion Thread - Check first post for tournaments, facebook info and videos!

Yeniths

East Midlands!
Hope you had a good time, let me know how he got on guys :)

Where are you from btw?

Retroking2000

Smash Master
I think I know what he means and I kinda agree with him

in smash64 Combos are actually easiest in this game. DI was weak, hitstun was large, no air-dodging, and L/Z canceling canceled all landing lag.

Melee strengthend DI, added air-dodging, nerfed L-canceling to reduce half of landing lag, and decreased hitstun slightly, making them harder, but still possible and flashy.

And Brawl went all the way on everything up by greatly reducing hitstun, removing L-canceling, and adding insane DI , non-directional air-dodges, crippling combos.

in melee you could just beat someone straight up if your solid enough with whatever ploy you have

in brawl you actually cant do that
I believe its harder in some areas than melee

since i play the same character in both games for a while now i can honestly say brawl makes me think more honestly

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
...if were talking about high level play, then what he said is completely rediculous. there is NO way you can just rely on combos without playing smart, unless your playing someone bad, in which in that case, of course you can just do whatever you want, but that would apply to every game. it doesn't seem possible that a game with less concentration (in the sense you need to push less buttons so actively) could require you to think more. maybe more clearly, and more precise, but how could you be thinking more?

you have to remember all your techskill, and THEN mindgames. to say you could win a REAL, legit, high level melee match by just 'auto-piloting' is a joke and inexperience.

Also Yenith, i'm from Las Vegas.

Yesterday was awesome. Got to play with alpha, prof, jolteon, and i didn't get to hear his gamertag for the last one, think his name was jonathan?

No doubt prof. is on a higher level than me but i played pretty decent against him, he wrecked me in a set or two but in the last one before i had to leave home, i got him 3-0. of course they're just for fun friendlies, i doubt he was very try-hard. Only got to play jolteon twice, we went 1-1. Really good shiek actually. Same with alpha, was awesome getting IC's experience, i've never played anyone that mained em' before. Pain in the ***. =P Had some fun with the last guy too (jonathon? fox) we kinda went back and forth, depending on the stage.

Overall was funfunfunfunfunfunfun

C.R.Z

Smash Lord
...if were talking about high level play, then what he said is completely rediculous. there is NO way you can just rely on combos without playing smart
i stopped reading after this, since it is not what i said.

retroking said everything i wanted to say

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Travis I enjoyed meeting you, shame we only got 2 games but it was enjoyable playing you. Come to SNY. ^_^

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
No doubt prof. is on a higher level than me but i played pretty decent against him, he wrecked me in a set or two but in the last one before i had to leave home, i got him 3-0. of course they're just for fun friendlies, i doubt he was very try-hard. Only got to play jolteon twice, we went 1-1. Really good shiek actually. Same with alpha, was awesome getting IC's experience, i've never played anyone that mained em' before. Pain in the ***. =P Had some fun with the last guy too (jonathon? fox) we kinda went back and forth, depending on the stage.

Yeah it was really fun playing you lol.
I was playing more serious in sets we had before, I think you could probably tell lol and the one when you 3-0 me I wasn't sandbagging so no johns lol but I was just kinda playing on auto-pilot and having fun lol but you're still good anyway.
And as the punk j3ly likes to complain about I rarely go full out unless there is a stake and apparently it will be my downfall if I don't go full out all the time in friendlies (:confused: lol) but I did play properly in a few of the sets.

And yeah as you can see sheild pressuring IC's is one of the gayest things in life lol, i'm also happy you got home alright as well. How long did it take cos i'm pretty sure it would of been very short since where you got off and stuff?

who do you play steezy? we're playing smash at mine tomorrow :)
lol WTF....you're tooo late.
He was asking you the other days to play smash and you ignored him lol.

He's gone now and on wednesday he's going to play Armada, Aniolas and Calle W.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
i stopped reading after this, since it is not what i said.

retroking said everything i wanted to say
I just read what you said

'in melee you can still win without thinking just by relying on hand eye coordination, in brawl that cant happen.'

Melee requires more skill.
Mentally and physically.
And brawl pretty much takes away the whole feeling under pressure during a combo or literally being pressured by another character, where's the intense and hype feeling???
It's just get a few hits, camp....get a few hits.....camp. 'Oh look your percentage is now higher then mine'

What boring game....

C.R.Z

Smash Lord
screw it, not what i ment

he said NO WAY, implying that it never can happen in high level play, which is false, as it does.

dont start talking about things you know little about.

New topic: whats the most under used 'good' character in melee.i may start it up but i dont wanna use someone whoes overused in the community.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I just read what you said

'in melee you can still win without thinking just by relying on hand eye coordination, in brawl that cant happen.'

Melee requires more skill.
Mentally and physically.
And brawl pretty much takes away the whole feeling under pressure during a combo or literally being pressured by another character, where's the intense and hype feeling???
It's just get a few hits, camp....get a few hits.....camp. 'Oh look your percentage is now higher then mine'

What boring game....
well, we're all entitles to our own opinion arent we?
i lack good hand eye co-ordination...infact ill just leave it at i lack co-ordination, so i prefer brawl, youre obviously very good at melee and dont like the lack of hitstun, combo's etc. in brawl, so you prefer melee.

but there is pressure in brawl, but not pressure for completing a combo, pressure for making sure you dont get punished for every little thing you do, making sure that ariel you threw out autocancel's so you dont get the landing lag you normally would. making sure those icies dont grab you (i admit, the infinite chaingrab is very gay)
of course im only good in one, so i can only talk from one point of view.
you're only good at one too, so you can also only talk from one point of view

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
FFS...

Shut the **** up

Go gobble on your favoured game's **** somewhere else people, nobody gives a ****.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Subtlety is overrated in some cases.

Sometimes you just have to lay it out how it is. Nobody ****ing cares, go argue something important like the best flavour of ice cream.

Jolteon

screw it, not what i ment

he said NO WAY, implying that it never can happen in high level play, which is false, as it does.

dont start talking about things you know little about.

New topic: whats the most under used 'good' character in melee.i may start it up but i dont wanna use someone whoes overused in the community.
Community wise=general community or UK community? If it's the UK community, the best choice is easily Sheik or Jiggs, not the case for the general Melee community though.

C.R.Z

Smash Lord
Community wise=general community or UK community? If it's the UK community, the best choice is easily Sheik or Jiggs, not the case for the general Melee community though.
i ment the UK, soz i didnt make that clear,

are sheik and jiggs under used? they seem like good options, thanks

i like vanilla or cookie dough !!!

Jolteon

i ment the UK, soz i didnt make that clear,

are sheik and jiggs under used? they seem like good options, thanks

i like vanilla or cookie dough !!!
we have like 3-4 sheik mains and 2 jiggs mains lol

also <3 cookie dough

Tamoo

Smash Master
Nah def RAWberry

and in terms of underused chars, jiggs is only underused cos many lack the patience. She can be ****ing frustrating at times but it must be the same playing against her too lol. I would def like to see some more shieks though

jjlinyard

Smash Ace
Had some fun with the last guy too (jonathon? fox) we kinda went back and forth, depending on the stage.

Me :) lol yeah was good playing you to shame didnt get too stay much longer =/ was trynna find away around getting my *** comboed badly on the bigger stages!!

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
my predictions

1st Kmac
2nd MTR
3rd Brawler pit
4th Blaze
5th Calzorz (if he gets an easy bracket)

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
your fox was still awesome tho jjlinyard's =)

and prof. yeah i could tell in our earlier sets you had some of the sexiest fox combos i'd ever seen, some thunders combos, some walljump shinespikes LOL jerk =D

and jolt yeah i agree. still was fun though, i coulda used the practice, i don't get to play shiek very often at home and you knew how to play him very well, especially with the nairs OOS, that was one thing i noticed the most.

and fuzzy, yeah, pretty much what prof said :p heard from 1-2 players that you didn't care to play me at all, so i was like screw it. but in the end it worked out better cause honestly meeting all 4 of them > playing you

no offense, just being honest =)

hopefully we can meetup again someday guys. GG's!

Calzorz

Smash Lord
hahahhaha willz xD i pray for an easy bracket i hope it happens otherwise il be out the tourny so fast

Heartstring

Smash Legend
lol, i dunno who to use anymore, ok then who is the least tech skill-ish character in melee thats good? do not want to wavedash, l-cancel and the like, let me guess ,thats jiggs too?

mint choc ice cream ftw

Heartstring

Smash Legend
floatcancelling? daww sounds hard TT_TT
also ive got a tilt spamming sheik that lives 10 miles down the road (i'm looknig at yew shlurpie)
egh, spose ill just jiggs it up then

X1-12

Smash Champion
floatcancelling? daww sounds hard TT_TT
also ive got a tilt spamming sheik that lives 10 miles down the road (i'm looknig at yew shlurpie)
egh, spose ill just jiggs it up then
Consolation is jiggs is probably the easiest character to L cancel with since she takes forever to land

Top Bottom