• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Switch Most Wanted Newcomer Bracket Challenge (Third-Party)- Game Over; Results Posted

How Often Should Each Round Last?

• 1 Day

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • 2 Days

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • 3 Days

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • Whenever OP feels the votes slow down

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Don't care; how it is being handled is fine

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • Other (explain in comments)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Could people not post running results in the middle of the round?

Votes: 12 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Not near my computer right now so I'll do it by phone.

Championship: Ridley
I don't much care for either one personally and honestly think Smashboards overrated them both to ridiculous levels during Sm4sh speculation, but Ridley is at least still putting in appearances in his series so even though I like Rool's design better, I'll go with the space pirate dragon.

Runner up: Dixie Kong
One of my fab four and genuinely someone I think is a very underrated protagonist in general.
Decidueye feels like he'll be forgotten by the time another grass starter replaces him. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't really feel Greninja even feels relevant now like Zard, Pikachu or even Lucario managed to do.

UGXwolf

Smash Rookie
I'm very late to this party, but I may as well put in my two cents while I still can.

Championship round: King K Rool

I shouldn't be surprised at these two being the finale, but I've gotta be real, I've never thought of Ridley as even a long shot chance. I felt the way they handled him in Sm4sh was the way he really should be handled. On the other side, K Rool always felt like he belonged in this roster somewhere. He has moveset potential between his four core appearances. Of course, I realize any argument I make works as well for Ridley. (He's popular, his series is underrepresented, etc.) This vote is all about feeling and Ridley just doesn't feel right.

Consolation: Decidieye

This one's actually a bit tougher for me. I think in reality, this one boils down to who I think makes more sense, because I'd honestly like to see both about as much. Dixie could wind up being very unique, and as I already said, the DK series needs more love, but Decidueye WILL be unique and another Pokemon in the roster wouldn't shock anybody or be particularly unwelcome. I don't subscribe to the whole starter types representation argument, but all in all, Decidueye just seems like the more interesting inclusion.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I may be late, too, but...

Champion: King K. Rool

Runner up: Dixie Kong.

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Game 1: King K. Rool
Game 2: Ridley
This entry is invalid, so I'll have to ignore it unless edited. K. Rool and Ridley are playing against each other, so only one can be chosen. The second game is between Decidueye and Dixie Kong.

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Round Over. No further votes will be counted.

And that’s a wrap, folks! Thank you to everyone who participated- this was far more successful than I ever imagined.
And now, the results. If you followed the posts since I extended the round, you probably know who won. If you haven’t, it probably seems pretty close. That’s because it was.

Let’s start with the consolation game and then present the championship:

1. Decidueye defeated 2. Dixie Kong by a score of 33-31

Well that was close. Decidueye was up by one before I extended the round, and then fell behind immediately afterwards. As a supporter of Decidueye, I wanted to kick myself. But, he managed to soar to victory on the final two votes. Incredibly hard fought victory for third. Congrats to Dixie as well for an impressive run to take home fourth place!

I voted for Decidueye and apparently played a role in flipping @Sailor Waddle Dee , so I guess I really did tip the scales.

1. King K. Rool defeated 1. Ridley by a score of 34-31

K. Rool is the king indeed! But it was remarkably close- there was only a one vote difference in the differential compared to the consolation game due to an abstention. Ridley was actually winning for much of the game. In fact, were it not for @Bootortle ‘s vote for K. Rool to create the tie, the round would have been ended on time instead of being extended, and Ridley would have won by one vote. Absolutely crazy. I knew it would be close, but K. Rool seemed to have a firm lead in both the RTC and Top 10 threads, so I didn't think it would be this close. Congratulations to both!

Again, thanks for playing, and I hope people had as much fun with this as I did! I plan on giving at least a day to cool down and will unveil the third-party bracket either sometime late tomorrow or on Wednesday. Until then, feel welcome to post any reactions to this game or predictions for the next- whatever works for you. Hope to see you all then!

Last edited:

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
hey, good for you guys. i'm no DK fan but i'd love to see k. rool make it in, for a lot of the same reasons as ridley - he's the most recurring villain of a beloved series who should have been playable a long time ago. i'm glad to see my guy got as far as he did, and i'm extra glad to see decidueye win the bronze medal

tbh i'll probably be a lot less invested in the third-party bracket. i can think of a few that would be cool to see but none that i'm quite so eager for.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
While I predicted a King K. Rool win, I did not think it would be as close as it was! It always makes me happy to be a Ridley supporter and see how kind both supporters are to each other. I really have no interest in King K. Rool but I really hope he gets in because I know the feeling.

I'm also shocked about Decideueye! Super cool, glad I played, it was fun.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So these are the top 3, eh?

I love it. Two long-requested villains from DK and Metroid respectively as well as some new blood in the form of Decidueye. Absolutely perfect imo.

D

Deleted member

Not surprised that k rool won but tbh i wouldn't have been surprised if ridley won either. Both are great choices tho
MY BOY DECIDUEYE MADE IT TO 3RD PLACE THO. Feels good.
Prolly not gonna participate in the 3rd party one since i'm going on hiatus... which sucks because i really like 3rd party characters

Last edited by a moderator:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Great game guys! Always glad to see K. Rool win, but that doesn't mean Ridley isn't deserving either! The final round wasn't so close for no reason! Hopefully both can beat the **** out of each other come Fall! Can't wait for the 3rd party version.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I figured the winner would either be king k rool or Ridley

I mean let's face it we want them the most out of all characters and probably the ballot shows them that.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
My boy Decidueye got third place. :')

Owl's well that ends well.

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
A part of me is sad it didn't end in the draw of K.Rool and Ridley, that somehow would be appropriate.

But clearly there is a strong demand for all four of them. At least on smashboards. Let's hope this is a portent of what is to come. If it is, I'll play a 4way match with all of them to recreate this face-off.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
The top 4 are so deserving and i‘d Be shocked to not at least see 2 of them if not all actually getting in.

As a KKR-supporter, the result warms my heart :)

Four great characters in their own right with a nice mix of classic, modern and slightly forgotten. Good insight into what some people want, lets hope the powers that be have that same vision cos any of these four would be worthy and welcome additions to the roster.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
That was fun, the ending somewhat surprises me for both matchups but hey, just makes me unable to wait for th next one.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Figured King K would win. Easily the most anticipated newcomer for this Smash and one of the most popular picks in general.

Not seeing him would be a shame

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
And we’re back! This time, we’ll be looking at 64 potential third-party newcomers and deciding who we want most. Before you ask, I believe 63 of these characters were recommended to me by fellow members (one of them is my own choice ha~), so if you think some of these are too obscure or unpopular… well, not to everyone, it would seem. I can’t say I particularly want to see most of these characters in Smash myself, so I’ll probably be picking the lesser of two evils more often than not.

As for the seeding… yeah, outside of maybe the top 3 seeds, I have almost NO idea how to predict whom people will vote for. At least the top 3/4 seeds are really the important part to make sure they don't play each other too early. I felt fairly confident about the first-party candidates by doing research and reading threads, which ended up being pretty accurate, but there’s just a lot less data out there for third-party choices. There’s active support, passive tolerance, active dislike, and more to take into account, and a lot of these attitudes won’t be exposed without actually playing. So let’s play. I chose the seeds, but the matchups were matched by the maker. I’ve got the cool PDF bracket on the OP, but here are the matchups in text form:

Game 1: 1. Banjo & Kazooie vs 16. Yooka & Laylee
Game 2: 8. Shadow the Hedgehog vs 9. Black Mage (Final Fantasy)
Game 3: 4. Arle Nadja vs 13. Jade (Beyond Good & Evil)
Game 4: 5. KOS-MOS vs 12. Marina Liteyears
Game 5: 2. Phoenix Wright vs 15. Commander Video
Game 6: 7. Zero (Mega Man) vs 10. Rabbid
Game 7: 3. Tails vs 14. Randi (Secret of Mana)
Game 8: 6. Solaire of Astora vs 11. Doomguy
Game 9: 1. Shovel Knight vs 16. Jill Valentine
Game 10: 8. Maxwell (Scribblenauts) vs 9. Harvest Moon/ Story of Seasons Farmer
Game 11: 4. Klonoa vs 13. Master Chief
Game 12: 5. Lloyd Irving vs 12. Slime (Dragon Quest)
Game 13: 2. Shantae vs 15 Don-chan
Game 14: 7. Quote (Cave Story) vs 10. Dovahkiin
Game 15: 3. Professor Layton vs 14. Earthworm Jim
Game 16: 6. Agumon vs 11. Ryu Hayabusa
Game 17: 1. Rayman vs 16 Adam Jensen
Game 18: 8. Conker vs 9. Agnès Oblige
Game 19: 4. Crono vs 13. Frogger
Game 20: 5. Amaterasu vs 12. Goemon (Mystical Ninja / Ganbare Goemon)
Game 21: 2. Simon Belmont vs 15. Sephiroth
Game 22: 7. Jibanyan vs 10. Viewtiful Joe
Game 23: 3. Sora vs 14. Raiden (Metal Gear)
Game 24: 6. Joker (Persona 5) vs 11. Nightmare (Soulcalibur)
Game 25: 1. Crash Bandicoot vs 16. Dante
Game 26: 8. Knuckles vs 9. Sans
Game 27: 4. Spyro vs 13. Ezio
Game 28: 5. Travis Touchdown vs 12. Meatboy
Game 29: 2. Bomberman vs 15. Lara Croft
Game 30: 7. Heihachi Mishima vs 10. Jack Frost
Game 31: 3. Dr. Eggman vs 14. Steve
Game 32: 6. Neku Sakuraba vs. 11. Chun-Li

Let me know if extra clarification is needed for any of these. I put series titles for those that might be confusing (not Batman’s Joker) or would not be immediately obvious from a quick Google search (DQ’s Slime isn’t the first hit when I search “slime video game”).

Special thanks to TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom for giving some feedback for the seeding (so we get to share the blame if there are complaints) and everyone who provided suggestions!

Begin Round 1 Voting. Round will last until at least 18:00 EDT on Friday, May 11

Attachments

Last edited:

Shock3600

Smash Rookie
And we’re back! This time, we’ll be looking at 64 potential third-party newcomers and deciding who we want most. Before you ask, I believe 63 of these characters were recommended to me by fellow members (one of them is my own choice ha~), so if you think some of these are too obscure or unpopular… well, not to everyone, it would seem. I can’t say I particularly want to see most of these characters in Smash myself, so I’ll probably be picking the lesser of two evils more often than not.

As for the seeding… yeah, outside of maybe the top 3 seeds, I have almost NO idea how to predict whom people will vote for. At least the top 3/4 seeds are really the important part to make sure they don't play each other too early. I felt fairly confident about the first-party candidates by doing research and reading threads, which ended up being pretty accurate, but there’s just a lot less data out there for third-party choices. There’s active support, passive tolerance, active dislike, and more to take into account, and a lot of these attitudes won’t be exposed without actually playing. So let’s play. I chose the seeds, but the matchups were matched by the maker. I’ve got the cool PDF bracket on the OP, but here are the matchups in text form:

Game 1: 1. Banjo & Kazooie vs 16. Yooka & Laylee
Game 2: 8. Shadow vs 9. Black Mage (Final Fantasy)
Game 4: 5. KOS-MOS vs 12. Marina Liteyears
Game 6: 7. Zero vs 10. Rabbid
Game 11: 4. Klonoa vs 13. Master Chief
Game 13: 2. Shantae vs 15 Don-chan
Game 18: 8. Conker vs 9. Agnès Oblige
Game 19: 4. Crono vs 13. Frogger
Game 20: 5. Amaterasu vs 12. Goemon (Mystical Ninja / Ganbare Goemon)
Game 21: 2. Simon Belmont vs 15. Sephiroth
Game 22: 7. Jibanyan vs 10. Viewtiful Joe
Game 23: 3. Sora vs 14. Raiden
Game 24: 6. Joker (Persona 5) vs 11. Nightmare (Soulcalibur)
Game 26: 8. Knuckles vs 9. Sans
Game 27: 4. Spyro vs 13. Ezio
Game 31: 3. Dr. Eggman vs 14. Steve
Game 32: 6. Neku Sakuraba vs. 11. Chun-Li

Let me know if extra clarification is needed for any of these. I put series titles for those that might be confusing (not Batman’s Joker) or would not be immediately obvious from a quick Google search (DQ’s Slime isn’t the first hit when I search “slime video game”).

Special thanks to TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom for giving some feedback for the seeding (so we get to share the blame if there are complaints) and everyone who provided suggestions!

Begin Round 1 Voting. Round will last until at least 18:00 EDT on Friday, May 11
Is there a pretty bracket?

D

Deleted member

Ill give my votes since im already here. Might not be able to vote on every round tho

Game 1:1. Banjo & Kazooie vs 16. Yooka & Laylee
If we were to have banjo in smash, i'd rather have the real thing over the spiritual successor.
Game 2:8. Shadow vs 9. Black Mage (Final Fantasy)
Shadow may be the worst of the realistic sonic choices, but he's not terrible + im more familiar with him tham i am with any final fantasy character
Both are "literally who" to me, but i might actually play bg&e. meanwhile i have no interest in puyo puyo or any other puzzle game for that matter
Game 4:5. KOS-MOS vs 12. Marina Liteyears
Flipped a coin
I haven't finished the first AA game yet due to school taking a lot of my free time but i liked what i've played of it
Game 6: 7. Zero vs 10. Rabbid
I like zero, hate the rabbids, so easy choice there
One of my favorite video game characters vs literally who
Ngl im actually tempted to jump on the solaire bandwagon for whatever reason, but only after i actually play dark souls
Buttbutt is prolly my most wanted 3rd party
Game 10: 8. Maxwell (Scribblenauts) vs 9. HarvestMoon/ Story of Seasons Farmer
Not big on either, just more familiar with maxwell
Game 11:4. Klonoa vs 13. Master Chief
Just for the reactions
Flipped a coin
Game 13:2. Shantae vs 15 Don-chan
Not a fan of shantae, but at least i know who she is
Im not ready to say yes to dovahkiin just yet
Dont care for him but at least hes better than "ew 90s the character"
This one was actually a bit tough despite me not really supporting either of them because i think they're both good choices, i went with agumon bc pokemon is my favorite series and agumon vs pikachu would be cool
One of the first characters i supported and still support even if not as much as i used to vs literally who
Game 18:8. Conker vs 9. Agnès Oblige
Sorry but i dont think conker should get in, it would take away the one thing that makes him stand out from mario, sonic and the other cartoony mascots
Game 19:4. Crono vs 13. Frogger
My friend wants him and im planning on playing his game
Game 20:5. Amaterasu vs 12. Goemon (Mystical Ninja / Ganbare Goemon)
Goemon is in the same boat as earthworm jim to me
Game 21:2. Simon Belmont vs 15. Sephiroth
Simon may not be my first choice for a castlevania character (would prefer a stage and some music over a character anyway), but at least i've actually played his game
Game 22:7. Jibanyan vs 10. Viewtiful Joe
I hate yokai watch
Game 23:3. Sora vs 14. Raiden
I hate sora + raiden would gurantee snake returning which im down for
Game 24:6. Joker (Persona 5) vs 11. Nightmare (Soulcalibur)
I don't care for non-smash fighting games
Crash is one of my most wanted
Game 26:8. Knuckles vs 9. Sans
Sans is one of the few things i still like about undertale but knuckles is still better in every single way, even as a meme
Game 27:4. Spyro vs 13. Ezio
Never played a spyro game, but i want to (hopefully it comes out on the switch)
He seems to be the more popular of the two
Bomberman's been requested since brawl, i don't have a lot of connection to him myself but i do want to play his games
Don't care for fighting games
Game 31:3. Dr. Eggman vs 14. Steve
Love eggman, hate steve, easy choice
Game 32:6. Neku Sakuraba vs. 11. Chun-Li
Not a fan of street fighter

Last edited by a moderator:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Game 1:Banjo & Kazooie

The original is far better.

Game 2:Shadow

I personally never followed the hype for Black Mage. I'd prefer a FF character that was... a character. And I do not like Shadow.

Game 3 Arle Nadja

I am not a fan of Beyond Good and Evil. Like at all. Like I kind of think it is super overrated. Like I did not have much fun playing it.

Game 4:KOS-MOS

Xenosaga is alright. Would love to see a compilation on the Switch,

Game 5: Phoenix Wright

bittrip is not my jam. Ace Attorney is.

Game 6: Zero

Full disclosure I petitioned for Rabbids to have a higher seed because I thought they were more likely. I do not like them much though.

Game 7: Tails

Hey look! Another game I find horribly overrated against a character I like.

Game 8: Solaire of Astoria

Honestly the hardest part of this round. I like both, but I feel flavor wise a ray of sunshine like Solaire fits better for Smash

Game 9: Shovel Knight

Leon would be my choice for a Resi character. By a landslide. Also Shovel Knight is Cool.

Game 10: Maxwell

I did not care about this game at all but I like the hat for it in TF2. That is more I could say than for Harvest Moon.

Game 11:Master Chief

Not a Klonoa fan. I played 1 on the PS1 and the Wii remake of 1. They were ok, but I would love to see the internet die over Master Chief.

Game 12: Lloyd Irving

ToS is good. Get it.

Game 13: Shantae

I do not like Shantae. That should tell you my opinions on her opponent.

Game 14: Quote (Cave Story)

Honestly another close one. But I like Cave Story for its music

Game 15: Earthworm Jim

My reasoning.

Game 16: Agumon

Ehh this is just because I feel Ryu Hayabusa would be boring

Game 17: Rayman

Easy game.

Game 18: Conker

Conker is my favorite N64 game aside from maybe Banjo Kazooie Majoras Mask and Paper Mario.

Game 19: Crono

The music won Crono this game.

Game 20:Amaterasu

Hey look a cult classic I actually liked!

Game 21: Sephiroth

See my Black Mage post for why I like Sephiroth, but this matchup was hard.

Game 22: Viewtiful Joe

Jibanyan does not look good at all.

Game 23: Sora

KH has good music and its fun.

Game 24:Joker (Persona 5)

Nightmare would not be my souls pic personally, then again I would not have gone for a souls pic.

Game 25:Crash Bandicoot

Easy choice and one of my most wanted.

Game 26: Knuckles

I actually do not hate Undertale but Knuckles is something I have wanted since PM died.

Game 27:Spyro

Look at my sig. Look at my avatar. Look at the support thread I now run. Easiest choice of my life. Also let me just say I hate Assassin's Creed and blame most of the series problems on ACII, so yeah Ezio is not my choice.

Game 28:Travis Touchdown

Easy choice, even if Super Meat Boy is fun

Game 29: Bomberman

Ehh its mainly that he fits in so well.

Game 30: Heihatchi

Close match, but Heihatchi is cool and a villain and Tekken > SC. Also I would prefer Joker.

Game 31:Dr. Ivo Eggman Robotnik

What a curbstomp. I mean minecraft is ok but No.

Game 32: Neku Sakuraba

TWEWY is my favorite DS game and I am getting the Switch version day one.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Game 1: Banjo & Kazooie
Game 2: Black Mage (Final Fantasy)
Game 3: Jade (Beyond Good & Evil)
Game 4: KOS-MOS
Game 7: Tails
Game 8: Doomguy
Game 10: Maxwell (Scribblenauts)
Game 11: Master Chief
Game 12: Slime (Dragon Quest)
Game 14: Dovahkiin
Game 15: Professor Layton
Game 16: Agumon
Game 17: Rayman
Game 18: Agnès Oblige
Game 20: Amaterasu
Game 21: Simon Belmont
Game 22: Jibanyan
Game 23: Sora
Game 24:6. Nightmare (Soulcalibur)
Game 25: Crash Bandicoot
Game 26: Sans
Game 27: Spyro
Game 28: Travis Touchdown
Game 29: Bomberman
Game 30: Heihachi Mishima
Game 31: Steve
Game 32: Chun-Li

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Never been huge on too many third parties in Smash, but I’m hypocritical enough to admit tgere are some that would really hype me. Most though...meh.

Game 1:1. Banjo & Kazooie vs 16. Yooka & Laylee
- Banjo. Yooka is a cheap ripoff anyway

Game 2:8. Shadow vs 9. Black Mage (Final Fantasy)
-
Shadow. Not really familiar with FF, but it feels more PlayStation to me. And Sonic’s the one third party series I think deserves more than just the hedgehog. Not the edgelord though.

-
Jade? Just because we don’t need Arle

Game 4:
5. KOS-MOS vs 12. Marina Liteyears
- Well, I’ve heard of KOS-MOS...

- Phoenix

Game 6:
7. Zero vs 10. Rabbid
- Zero (I assume from Megaman?)

- The first game I have a major preference for. Tails all the way. I always played Tails in the Sonic games, and he really deserves it.

- Doomguy because Bethesda

- Shovel Knight

- Maxwell

Game 11:4. Klonoa vs 13. Master Chief
- Meh. I guess I’ll go with Master Chief, but he’s not a Nintendo All-Star, he’s Xbox’s main character.

-
Lloyd

Game 13:2. Shantae vs 15 Don-chan
- Ugh, I definitely do not want to see Shantae, so I’ll take whoever Don-Chan is.

- Dovahkiin all the way. If I got him, I would have so much fun shouting people off stage. And I’m imagining Kirby saying “Fus Ro Dah” in his squeaky voice. This one is my I-hate-third-parties-but-would-be-so-stoked-to-see.

- Layton I guess, but meh. I always thought Jim was a cartoon character.

- Agumon, but I really don’t need Digimon in my Smash. Again, I always felt he was more anime.

- Rayman even though I really don’t know him.

Game 18:8. Conker vs 9. Agnès Oblige
- I’ve heard of Conker. A lot of those 90s era protagonists were little woodland creatures...

Game 19:4. Crono vs13. Frogger
- Crono

Game 20:5. Amaterasu vs 12. Goemon (Mystical Ninja / Ganbare Goemon)
- I never played Okami, but it looks great so Amaterasu has my vote.

Game 21:2. Simon Belmont vs 15. Sephiroth
- Sephiroth, only because he’s incredibly recognizable

Game 22:7. Jibanyan vs 10. Viewtiful Joe
- Ugh, literally anyone but this weird Pokemon wannabe. Joe it is.

Game 23:3. Sora vs 14. Raiden
- Is this Raiden from Metal Gear or from Mortal Kombat? Either way, him over Sora.

Game 24:6. Joker (Persona 5) vs 11. Nightmare (Soulcalibur)
- Nightmare. I love SoulCalibur, and they’re finally getting a new installment after the mess that was SCV. I’d prefer Ivy though.

- Crash

Game 26:8. Knuckles vs 9. Sans
- Knuckles. Again, Sonic deserves more.

Game 27:4. Spyro vs 13. Ezio
- Ezio’s not had any main series games on Nintendo consoles, but he’s so cool.

- Travis, I guess. Meatboy is just weird.

Game 29: 2. Bombermanvs 15. Lara Croft
- Lara is much more visible and historic.

- Heihachi, but I prefer SoulCalibur.

Game 31:3. Dr. Eggman vs 14. Steve
- Robotnik. Somic deserves more, and Steve is my 100%-abosolutely-least-wanted-stay-the-f-away-from-Smash.

Game 32:6. Neku Sakuraba vs. 11. Chun-Li
- Chun-Li is definitely iconic

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Game 1: 1. Banjo & Kazooie
Funny matchup, but yeah... No contest.

Game 2: 9. Black Mage (Final Fantasy)
I’m just not feeling Shadow

Game 3: 13. Jade (Beyond Good & Evil)
Don’t know either choice that well, but Jade seems like a decent character

Game 4: 5. KOS-MOS
I don’t understand Marina’s popularity, to be honest.

Game 5: 2. Phoenix Wright
One is iconic; the other is a “literally who?”

Game 6: 7. Zero
I oppose the Rabbids

Game 7: 3. Tails
If any character from a third-party franchise already represented deserves to get in, it’s Tails.

Game 8: 6. Solaire of Astora
Would fit in better than Doomguy, at least.

Game 9: 1. Shovel Knight
Would fit in better.

Game 10: 9. Harvest Moon/ Story of Seasons Farmer
Series has long Nintendo ties. I’ve had a good time with some of its games, so I wouldn’t mind the representation.

Game 11: 4. Klonoa
Would fit in better.

Game 12: 5. Lloyd Irving
I’m just not sure on Slime as a playable character.

Game 13 :2. Shantae
Don-chan was a “literally who?”

Game 14: 7. Quote (Cave Story)
I don’t necessarily oppose Dovahkiin, but… I’m not convinced he’d fit yet.

Game 15: 3. Professor Layton
Jim is just a little bit too much for me

Game 16: 6. Agumon
Pokemon vs. Digimon isn’t that bad of an idea, really

Game 17: 1. Rayman
Would fit in better.

Game 18: 9. Agnès Oblige
I have to agree with the sentiment that what makes Conker unique would be lost in Smash.

Game 19: 4. Crono
Would have good moveset potential. Also, Chrono Trigger stages and music? Count me in.

Game 20: 5. Amaterasu
Goemon was a “literally who?” for me.

Game 21: 2. Simon Belmont
Iconic with some Nintendo legacy. Sure, he can move on.

Game 22: 7. Jibanyan
Ehh, Yokai-Watch representation is fine. Getting Joe would just make me wish it were Wonder Red instead.

Game 23: 14. Raiden
Usually I go with the more cartoony character, but I oppose Sora

Game 24: 6. Joker (Persona 5)
I like Soulcalibur, but Nightmare wouldn’t be my preference.

Game 25: 1. Crash Bandicoot
Better choice by all of my measures.

Game 26: 8. Knuckles
I’m on the fence about Sans.

Game 27: 4. Spyro
I quite like Spyro.

Game 28: 5. Travis Touchdown
Well, I do think Nintendo when I think of Travis, so that’s something.

Game 29: 2. Bomberman
Bomberman would be fairly cool.

Game 30: 10. Jack Frost
Slight preference here.

Game 31: 3. Dr. Eggman
I oppose Steve.

Game 32: 6. Neku Sakuraba
Hard choice for me. Ultimately went with new franchise representation.

CaptainAmerica CaptainAmerica Definitely Zero from Mega Man. Raiden from Metal Gear, though I could see that being confusing. I'll add series titles for both.

Last edited:

Shock3600

Smash Rookie
  1. Banjo and Kazooie
  2. Shadow
  3. No vote
  4. No vote
  5. Phoenix Wright
  6. Zero
  7. Tails
  8. Doomguy
  9. Shovel knight
  10. Maxwell
  11. Master chief
  12. No vote
  13. No vote
  14. No vote
  15. Earthworm Jim
  16. No vote
  17. Rayman
  18. Conker
  19. Crono
  20. No vote
  21. Simon Belmont
  22. No vote
  23. Sora
  24. Nightmare
  25. Crash bandicoot
  26. Knuckles
  27. Spyro
  28. Meatboy
  29. Bomberman
  30. No vote
  31. Eggman
  32. No vote

Originality

Smash Journeyman
Game 1: 1. Banjo & Kazooie
Game 2: 8. Shadow
Game 3: 13. Jade (Beyond Good & Evil)
Game 4: 5. KOS-MOS
Game 6: 7. Zero
Game 7: 3. Tails
Game 8: 11. Doomguy
Game 9: 1. Shovel Knight ine
Game 10: 8. Maxwell (Scribblenauts)
Game 11: 4. Klonoa
Game 12: 5. Lloyd Irving
Game 13: 2. Shantae
Game 15: 14. Earthworm Jim
Game 16: 11. Ryu Hayabusa
Game 18: 8. Conker
Game 19: 13. Frogger
Game 20: 5. Amaterasu
Game 21: 2. Simon Belmont
Game 22: 10. Viewtiful Joe
Game 23: 3. Sora
Game 24: 6. Joker (Persona 5)
Game 26: 9. Sans
Game 27: 4. Spyro
Game 28: 5. Travis Touchdown
Game 30: 7. Heihachi Mishima
Game 31: 14. Steve
Game 32: 6. Neku Sakuraba

Last edited:

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
I’m looking forward to seeing how this goes! Unlike the first round, it’s hard to say who the front runners will be.

Game 1:
1. Banjo & Kazooie
Game 2:9. Black Mage (Final Fantasy)
Game 3: 4. Arle Nadja
Game 4:5. KOS-MOS
Game 6: 7. Zero (Mega Man)
Game 7:14. Randi (Secret of Mana)
Game 8: 6. Solaire of Astora
Game 9:16. Jill Valentine
Game 10: 9. Harvest Moon/ Story of Seasons Farmer
Game 11:4. Klonoa
Game 12: 12. Slime (Dragon Quest)
Game 13:15 Don-chan
Game 15: 3. Professor Layton
Game 16:11. Ryu Hayabusa
Game 18:9. Agnès Oblige
Game 19:4. Crono
Game 20:5. Amaterasu
Game 21:15. Sephiroth
Game 22:7. Jibanyan
Game 23:3. Sora
Game 24:6. Joker (Persona 5)
Game 26:8. Knuckles
Game 27:4. Spyro
Game 28:12. Meatboy
Game 30:10. Jack Frost
Game 31:3. Dr. Eggman
Game 32:6. Neku Sakuraba

Folezicle

Smash Rookie
Game 1: Banjo and Kazooie
Game 2: Black Mage
Game 3: Jade (very happy to see her on the list. I hope she goes far. Looking forward to Beyond Good and Evil 2)
Game 4: Marina Lightyears
Game 7: Randi
Game 8: Doomguy (this will be a close one)
Game 10: Maxwell
Game 11: Master Chief (lol, this won't happen)
Game 12: Slime
Game 14: Quote
Game 15: Earthworm Jim
Game 16: Ryu Hayabusa
Game 17: Adam Jensen (he will be out for sure)
Game 18: Agnes Oblige
Game 20: Ameterasu
Game 21: Simon Belmont
Game 22: Vietwtiful Joe
Game 23: Raiden
Game 24: Joker
Game 25: Crash Bandicoot
Game 26: Sans
Game 27: Ezio
Game 28: Travis Touchdown
Game 29: Lara Croft
Game 30: Jack Frost
Game 31: Steve (I want neither though)
Game 32: Neku (Jade and Neku are my top picks)

Top Bottom