• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Switch Most Wanted Newcomer Bracket Challenge (Third-Party)- Game Over; Results Posted

How Often Should Each Round Last?

• 1 Day

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • 2 Days

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • 3 Days

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • Whenever OP feels the votes slow down

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Don't care; how it is being handled is fine

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • Other (explain in comments)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Could people not post running results in the middle of the round?

Votes: 12 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Takamaru being so popular kinda takes me by surprise. I wonder if its widespread or just centralized here. I know people get excited when Sakurai almost includes something but I feel like the hype for him would've died down by now. Guess I underestimated him.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I will gladly support you and your wishes of him in the game. By no means do I want to indicate you shouldn't like the guy. I was just not big on the tearing down on Spring Man on the former page and then reading people stating they know little/nothing on Isaac but think he deserves it more. It's one thing to prefer one over the other, but it's another to state a bold claim on deserving over another unless it's like Mario deserves in Smash more than Dark Pit.

I understand your stance going into him getting into Smash like King K Rool and respect it. I think it's equally as important for Arms to try to get it's foot in the door to further it's development and future. It did well, but it could do better if it wants to stick around. And from a pure design stand point, I personally love the character's designs. Overall, both series (Golden Sun and Arms) could benefit greatly from it. It would be more beneficial for the community to support each other's characters, though this thread is pretty contrary to that in nature. But yes, power to you and your passion for Isaac. Hopefully, both guys can step into the ring as they both face a few challenges to get into Smash.
Completely agree with you on tearing down characters. No matter how much you love something it shouldn't cause you to hate everything else. That doesn't even help the character your supporting by making other people give up on their character, it only turns people off from the one you're claiming is superior. It's not healthy nor does it make speculation fun.
And I actually support Springman because I really did enjoy Arms, though I would prefer Min Min because she is the character I played as most, so I would love for both to make it too. So yeah, mate hopefully they're both playable this go around.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Regarding Isaac, I will admit that my support for him started as a bandwagon because he looked cool, but I was planning to play Golden Sun sometimes down the line, which I ended up doing (I haven't finished it yet, but still).
Do I think Golden Sun deserves some recogntion? Yes.
But WHY do I think that? Because it's a fantastic series with a great setting and a fantastic soundtrack.
It's also not the sole reason for why I want him in.
It's like half the support for Decidueye I see is not because they like the actual character but because "There must be a Pokemon newcomer from the latest gen" and he fits in the imagined need for all three starter types to be fulfilled.
...Oh boy, not this **** again.
I have no patience for this whatsoever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Takamaru being so popular kinda takes me by surprise. I wonder if its widespread or just centralized here. I know people get excited when Sakurai almost includes something but I feel like the hype for him would've died down by now. Guess I underestimated him.
At first I didn't care much about Takamaru, but when I learned he could turn invisible, his moveset got a lot more interesting. Still, I wouldn't put him in my roster unless I were forced to add a retro.

That falls back on the whole waifu culture. Spring Man's design is great, as is Twintelle's. But arguing he is awful compared to the others reeks of the "this girl character is pretty, obviously better than boy character cause I want to date the former." If they get a second rep, I'd like to see Twintelle.
Spring Man's special ability is PARRYING AN ATTACK. He can also use what's basically rage, which is SO popular in Sm4sh.

D

Deleted member

Also regarding Takamaru, I just kinda want a samurai-esque character. His game was pretty neat too.

Basty

Smash Ace
Game 1: 4. Impa
Game 2: 2. Takamaru
Game 3: 4. Chibi-Robo
Game 4: 3. Rex & Pyra
Game 5: 4. Andy
Game 6: 2. Isaac
Game 7: 4. Geno
Game 8: 2. Dixie Kong

Honestly surprised to see Spring Man and Ashley last this long tbh

CWCPT00

Smash Cadet
King K. Rool
Captain Toad
Decidueye
Rex & Pyra
Ridley
Spring Man
Bandana Dee
Dixie Kong

D

Deleted member

Man this thread is moving at a snail's pace.
Should I post the current results already? They've barely changed since only 2 people have voted since the last time I posted them.

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Alright, there seems to be some impatience about keeping the thread moving. Personally, I never felt it was that huge of a deal of the thread slowed down for a day or two (the round just started yesterday lol); I was just more concerned about people having time to participate. However, it seems not everyone agrees with that. I do agree that, now that other people are posting the results during the round, it pretty much takes any mystery out of the round closure, which has become something to be simply impatiently waited on once people vote instead of something to look forward to. That might be part of the problem.
I simply don't have time to prepare the next round right now, but I can try doing it tonight if possible. In the meantime, I put up a poll to get an idea of where people stand on how the rounds should be run. Don't pick multiple of things that aren't compatible (2 Days and 3 Days, for example), but you can do something like "2 Days" and "Don't post running results". I'll do my best to appease the general opinion. Thanks, and bear with me.

D

Deleted member

I do agree that, now that other people are posting the results during the round, it pretty much takes any mystery out of the round closure, which has become something to be simply impatiently waited on once people vote instead of something to look forward to.
I didn't consider that when I posted the results. I wanted to help you by speeding up the process of calculating the votes but maybe I should've waited for the round to end and then sent you a PM with the results...

In the meantime, I put up a poll to get an idea of where people stand on how the rounds should be run. Don't pick multiple of things that aren't compatible (2 Days and 3 Days, for example), but you can do something like "2 Days" and "Don't post running results". I'll do my best to appease the general opinion. Thanks, and bear with me.
I'm impatient but it's your call really.
You shouldn't end the round so quickly just because one person is a bit impatient.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Game 1: Impa just seems like a better character to me.
Game 2: No comment.
Game 3: Chibi-Robo feels more fun to me.
Game 4: Rex, while utterly bland, is IMO the lesser evil here.
Game 5: Andy because he might actually fit.
Game 6: Spring Man because he has some interesting gameplay potential.
Game 7: Geno.
Game 8: Ashley.

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
I didn't consider that when I posted the results. I wanted to help you by speeding up the process of calculating the votes but maybe I should've waited for the round to end and then sent you a PM with the results...

I'm impatient but it's your call really.
You shouldn't end the round so quickly just because one person is a bit impatient.
No problem, I appreciate the thought. Given the results of the poll, let's keep those running results out of the thread to maintain a bit of mystery. That said, you can still calculate them on your own for your own curiosity, and you are definitely welcome to PM them to me. I still plan on calculating myself, as I actually keep a running track of everyone's votes in an Excel file that I update during the round whenever possible and have a formula calculate the number of times a character appears. When the round ends, all I'm doing is makings sure no one changed their votes and then manually checking any close matchups to be sure I didn't input anything wrong. If you want to send me what you calculate, it's good insurance that I didn't mess anything up too badly, which would be both embarrassing and problematic.

Also based on the results, it seems like most people are fine with what we are doing. I'll just give a highly tentative cutoff of 2 days, maybe 3 if I'm unavailable. It seems I'm also trusted to end the round when the votes stop.
In this case, I don't trust myself. I did it last time as there was enough separation that I could pretty fairly "call" the games. Not so here. Two of these matchups are so ridiculously close Takamaru vs Captain Toad and Decidueye vs Chibi-Robo * cough cough that it would be too easy to conveniently cut it off whenever my preferred characters have the advantage. I don't think we'll get many more votes (if any), but every vote left out does matter here. I'm going to bump the official closing time up to 17:00 EDT tomorrow, and will close it as soon as I can after that point without checking who people voted for. If you are a strong supporter of any characters in those matchups, it might be time to rally any remaining troops, as it might make the difference.

Last edited:

TheLegendOfLaser

Smash Rookie
Game 1. King K. Rool
Impa is really cool and I wouldn't mind seeing her, but King K. Rool also has potential and the fans have been requesting him for a while.
Game 2. Takamaru
It would be nice seeing another character get boosted popularity through an inclusion in Smash, and I think that would happen for Takamaru. He has a likable design and I also think he would fit in well. Though this is very close, as I really want to see Captain Toad get in too.
Game 3. Decidueye
Decidueye would work well as an archer in Smash. He has different moves he could use and even some exclusive ones such as Spirit Shackle which could be a special that pins down the opponent. A new Pokemon is almost inevitable and I feel like Decidueye is one of the top candidates for this. Though there are other good Gen VII options such as Lycanroc, Mimikyu, one of the Tapus, and an Ultra Beast.
Game 4. Rex & Pyra
This is very hard for me since I really want Waluigi, but I think Xenoblade is big enough for a second rep and these two could represent the Driver and Blade system. Mythra could also be implemented and I want to see how they handle this. Will Pyra be in the background or would they work like a duo character?
Game 5. Andy
Advance Wars from what I've heard was considered a great game especially when it released. More representation for the GBA era is fine with me and Andy could be fun to play as.
Game 6. Isaac
Even though I haven't played Golden Sun, I've wanted to see Isaac for a while. Maybe Ballot results will make it happen.
Game 7. Bandana Waddle Dee
Bandana Waddle Dee is one of the main characters of Kirby at this point, there aren't any spear users in Smash yet, and he has support to back him up. He's personally one of my most wanted newcomers this time and I hope to see him playable this time.
Game 8. Dixie Kong
I really want to see Ashley, but I also think that Dixie Kong deserves to get in now. She is one of the the lead protagonists of the original Donkey Kong Country trilogy, alongside Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong who are both already playable. She also made a playable appearance in the latest game Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. Whether she would be unique or a semi-clone of Diddy Kong, I want her to be a newcomer.
While I can see who will win some of the games this round, I think it is hard to predict other ones. Anyways, those were just my votes on who I'd like to see, though it has come down to multiple characters I want to see competing. I would be fine with any of the ones remaining becoming newcomers.

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Game 1: 1. King K. Rool
I don't know how Impa made it this far tbh.
Game 2: 2. Takamaru
I don't want either of these two in the game. The opposite of hype choices.
Game 3: 1. Decidueye
I think the chibi-robo series should have died out a while ago and I'm surprised anyone even wants him in.
Game 4: 2. Waluigi
Don't really care for Xenoblade at all
Game 5: 4. Andy
Ridley should stay as a boss character
It's too early for ARMS to be in Smash. Once they get a sequel that actually sells as well as a new 1st party IP should (Splatoon) they can be put in.
Game 7: 4. Geno
Bandana Dee is a lazy character design to me and people have been requesting Geno since before Brawl was even announced. It's a long time coming.
Game 8: 6. Ashley
I like Ashley's personality more and the DK series should only get 1 new rep and that should be King K. Rool.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
It's too early for ARMS to be in Smash. Once they get a sequel that actually sells as well as a new 1st party IP should (Splatoon) they can be put in.
Are you saying that the first Arms didn't sell well? It's already sold over a million and almost reached 2 million. Some characters in Smash wish they did that well. Especially on a first game.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Are you saying that the first Arms didn't sell well? It's already sold over a million and almost reached 2 million. Some characters in Smash wish they did that well. Especially on a first game.
Hm. Guess I stand corrected. Should still get a second game before it gets considered.

PrinceGal3n

Smash Journeyman
Game 1: King K. Rool
K.Rool is always my choice here. Sorry Impa.

Game 2: Takamaru
Sorry Captain, Takamaru has been trying to get into Smash for so long now, he needs to be in.

Game 3: Decidueye
Decidueye will take the win here, sniping the competition.

Game 4: Waluigi
WAAAAAAAA!!!!

Game 5: Ridley
I will say it again and forever...RIDLEY OR DEATH!!!!

Game 6: Isaac
Isaac needs this spot more than Spring Man.

Game 7: Geno
Geno is my personal choice over Bandana Dee, way more moveset potential and uniqueness.

Game 8: Ashley
Ashley is gonna take the win here if K. Rool wins this round, as much as I want both K. Rool and Dixie.

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Round 3 Over. No further votes will be counted.

I will update things for the next round closer to midnight. Thanks for your patience.

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for waiting!

NintenRob NintenRob Thanks for pointing out that mistake. I was bound to write something dumb at some point.
ChrysanthosVice ChrysanthosVice I'll be nice and add your picks this round since it's just one person and doesn't affect the results

And here are those results. The last few votes didn't turn the tides (in fact, they just strengthened the leaders), so don't expect too many surprises:

Game 1: 1. King K. Rool defeated 4. Impa by a score of 48-13
K Rool is still waiting on his first true challenge. Impa didn't have much of a chance.

Game 2: 2. Takamaru defeated 3. Captain Toad by a score of 33-27
Knew this would be a close one. I'm slightly disappointed by the outcome, but that's fine.

Game 3: 1. Decidueye defeated 4. Chibi-Robo by a score of 34-27
Decidueye nearly avoided disaster. Hard to predict what will happen next round, as Waluigi also struggled.

Game 4: 2. Waluigi defeated 3. Rex & Pyra by a score of 34-27
Like I said, Waluigi also struggled. It's fair to say that Rex & Pyra definitely outperformed Elma, though, which is interesting when you compare this to the RTC Want results.

Game 5: 1. Ridley defeated 4. Andy by a score of 38-23
Andy did fine, but Ridley is Ridley.

Game 6: 2. Isaac defeated 3. Spring Man by a score of 40-21
We obviously didn't prioritize relevancy very much.

Game 7: 1. Bandana Dee defeated 4. Geno by a score of 42-17
Bandana Dee won easily, but many considered Geno a weak opponent. We'll see how he does next time.

Game 8: 2. Dixie Kong defeated 6. Ashley by a score of 36-25
Dixie Kong was never in too much danger, but Ashley did well enough to demonstrate that she belonged here. Beating Elma wasn't a fluke.

And here are your Elite Eight games. The scores could get intense, but let's try to keep the discussion pleasant.

Game 1: 1. King K. Rool vs. 2. Takamaru
Game 2: 1. Decidueye vs. 2. Waluigi
Game 3: 1. Ridley vs. 2. Isaac
Game 4: 1. Bandana Dee vs 2. Dixie Kong

I'll edit this later with my own choices. Updating the PDF bracket will have to wait until Tuesday when I get home.
I'll estimate this closure for around 8:00 AM EDT on Tuesday, May 1, but when have we ever actually followed that? Just put them in as soon as possible for good measure.

Begin Round 4 Voting. Estimated Ending for 8:00 AM EDT on Tuesday, May 1.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
My boy is out unfortunately. I guess going up against Ridley is a death sentence (unless your K.Rool maybe). Still did pretty well though.

Game 2: Waluigi
Game 3: Isaac
Game 4: Bandana Dee

Pulling for Isaac now! :)

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Wow just saw this thread now!

Game 3: Ridley
Game 4: Dixie Kong

Game 1:Takamaru

Round 1 continues with "characters I have no strong opinions on"

Ridley and Dixie are the only characters left I strongly want. Bandana Dee and Waluigi are cool too though I guess. Most of my characters are out and the last round was more brutal than I expected
:061:

TheFritzle

Smash Apprentice
Definitely the easiest round for picks so far.
Game 4: Bandana Dee

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Oh boy, things are coming down...

1. K. Rool There's really only one character who can beat him for me - only one who deserves to be in Smash more...
  2. Decidueye Tough since they both deserve it. But I have to go with Robin Hoot for this one.
  3. Ridley No contest
  4. Dixie Not much of a fan of either, but the Kongs deserve it more.

Last edited:

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Game 2: Decidueye
Game 3: Ridley - It actually took me several minutes to pick for this one...

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Easy choice. While a few people's explanations for Takamaru's popularity made me interested, he's still no where close to K.Rool's level imo.

I lost interest in Decidueye a while ago. Wouldn't be upset if he made it, but not really rooting for him either. Waluigi may end up being a lot of things, but I love the character and I'm definitely interested in seeing how he turns out.

Holy balls is this tough. I love both of these characters, and actively support both, but my vote goes to Isaac. I think Ridley has a lot of potential, but he has a lot of different looks, and interpretations over the years, and I don't like all of them. I feel like out of the 2, Isaac is more likely to be "done right". Stupid reason maybe, but it's my tiebreaker, and I'll do it how I want.

Another matchup where I enjoy both characters, but in this case I enjoy one character a little more. In the originally trilogy, Dixie Kong was playable more times than DK. She's got neat weapons, a unique way of attacking, and is truly one of the most underappreciated characters out there.

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
Game 1: King K. Rool : No contest
Game 2: Waluigi : No contest, although I really do want Decidueye in
Game 3: Isaac : auto-win due to Ridley not being possible to be implemented.
Game 4: Dixie Kong : Really tough, but Dixie does deserve it more despite me thinking Bandana Dee would be a more interesting fighter.

Last edited:

slambros

Smash Ace
Game 1: King K. Rool (heavy character over swordsman)
Game 2: Decidueye (I prefer cool characters over wacky character)
Game 3: Isaac (Isaac can be implemented better)
Game 4: Dixie Kong (more iconic)

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
CAN'T STOP THE CROC

Game 2: 1. Decidueye
Extremely hard pick here, but I feel Decidueye would make for a more interesting fighter.

Game 3: 1. Ridley
Another hard pick. It's the big boy's turn.

Game 4: 2. Dixie Kong
Easy pick. She brings a lot more to the table in terms of moveset potential. Bandana Waddle Dee is just so boring.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton

Pretty easy choices honestly

Chihiro Fujisaki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KnightOfSpace
i'll start commenting

Game 1:
1. King K. Rool vs. 2. Takamaru

never was on board with the k rool hype

Game 2:
1. Decidueye vs. 2. Waluigi

i'm biased towards the pokemon franchise

don't care for either. ridley probably deserves the spot more

dixie kong is kind of a boring choice ngl

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
I'd prefer any other DK character, but I'd still be cool with him. Takamaru, however, I explicitly do not want.
Game 2: 2. Waluigi
It's Time
Game 3: 2. Isaac
Same deal as before; They both deserve it, but at least Metroid already has a rep.
Game 4: 1. Bandana Dee
I gotta be honest, I have no idea why people care about Dixie. I don't dislike her, but I really can't see why people want her so much.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Game 2: 2. Waluigi
Game 3: 2. Isaac
Game 4: 2. Dixie Kong

Top Bottom