• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Switch Most Wanted Newcomer Bracket Challenge (Third-Party)- Game Over; Results Posted

How Often Should Each Round Last?

• 1 Day

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • 2 Days

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • 3 Days

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • Whenever OP feels the votes slow down

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Don't care; how it is being handled is fine

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • Other (explain in comments)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Could people not post running results in the middle of the round?

Votes: 12 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I'll just add my own picks here.

Game 1: 1. King K. Rool
No comment. Just want K. Rool more, though both are strong choices.
Game 2: 2. Waluigi
This was a tough choice. I want both. What it came down to is that I'll probably mostly move on from Decidueye if he doesn't get in, even though his moveset has more potential, while I'll still want Waluigi. Waluigi is a fully realized character I will want to play as because he's Waluigi, while Decidueye is just "cool".
Game 3: 2. Isaac
Ridley might deserve it more, but I want Golden Sun love. Not to mention, I think Isaac would play much more interestingly.
Game 4: 2. Dixie Kong
Another difficult one. Both are deserving, relevant, would have ok-but-not-great movesets, and are my second most wanted newcomer from their respective series. What it comes down to in this case is that I think Dixie is ultimately more iconic and deserves the spot more for now.

Yep! Can't promise that it will be done as soon as this game finishes, though. I have more than 32 I want in the bracket, but thinking up 64 characters is pretty difficult. If anyone has suggestions, give me a PM!
Off the top of my head

SEGA (Atlus)
I think you can feasibly add 4 or 5 Sonic characters. I think it's debatable who it would be if Sonic gets a second rep. Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, or Shadow. So in a tournament like setting, it makes a lot of sense to add them all. Arle Nadja is the only other SEGA character that seems feasible. Super popular in Japan. Adding in Atlus gives you SMT and Persona. Seeing a lot of Joker recently.

BandaiNamco
Namco has Lloyd Irving, Heihachi, and Klonoa. KOS-MOS is relevant again for spoiler type reasons. Always can do a Soul Calibur character, maybe Nightmare.

Ubisoft
Rayman is the obvious one, Rabbids got a crossover, Assassin's Creed is the biggest franchise so one of the assassins could work. Beyond Good and Evil is returning, maybe Jade?

Capcom
A second Mega Man character? X? Zero? Somebody else? Okami is coming so Amaterasu. Then there's Viewtiful Joe who used to be popular among Smash fans. Phoenix Wright who still is.

Konami
Snake back. Bomberman in. Those are two HUGE names. Frogger is a forgotten icon, and people are all about those. Simon Belmont is another big name. I have personal bias pick of Goemon who used to have a presence on Nintendo.

Bethesda
Dovahkiin because of Skyrim. Doomguy although that's really an id Software thing. Then there's Vault Boy who is a big face, but not really related to Nintendo (as of yet)

From Software
Solaire of Astora is getting an amiibo and Dark Souls is coming

Activsion/Blizzard
Crash is the obvious one. Spyro slightly less so. Blizzard has a fair share of names, but none have made it to Nintendo yet, and haven't cultivated much of a following.

SquareEnix
Dragon Quest character? It's a huge franchise. Maybe Slime? Idk. Then there's Lara Croft, she's a legend. Bravely Default series has some followers. Agnes was one I used to see quite a bit. More FF characters? I always liked Black mage. Maybe Crono from Chrono Trigger? Neku from TWEWY?

Koei Tecmo
Ryu Hayabusa is one that I always see

Suda 51
Travis Touchdown

Disney
Sora from KH. Idk if you wanna break the 4th party barrier with Mickey, but he has a strong history as well

Indies/Other
Shantae, Shovel Knight, Sans, Quote, Earthworm Jim, Commander Video, Meatboy, Hat Kid, Yooka-Laylee. You could put more, you could do less.

Microsoft
Due to the talk of Banjo in Smash last time, and the response by Phil, maybe they have a chance of being looked into. Banjo-Kazooie is one that almost everyone wants. Steve is one people think is actually possible. Master Chief is their icon. If Microsoft lets it happen, all are possible.

That's all I got, pretty sure there's 32 in there. Seeding's gonna be a *****

Important ones imo
Snake, Bomberman, Crash, Rayman, Sora, Shantae, Shovel Knight, Banjo Kazooie, Arle Nadja, Steve, Sans, Rabbids, Doomguy, Dovahkiin, Solaire, Travis Touchdown, and Heihachi. I don't like about half of these choices, but they all make sense in their own way, and have been a point of discussion since the ballot era.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
SEGA (Atlus)
I think you can feasibly add 4 or 5 Sonic characters. I think it's debatable who it would be if Sonic gets a second rep. Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, or Shadow. So in a tournament like setting, it makes a lot of sense to add them all. Arle Nadja is the only other SEGA character that seems feasible. Super popular in Japan. Adding in Atlus gives you SMT and Persona. Seeing a lot of Joker recently.
Jack Frost makes more sense to me.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Jack Frost makes more sense to me.
I knew I was forgetting someone. I agree tbh

Would also like to add Professor Layton and Maxwell to that list. Marina from Mischief Makers also has a following for whatever reason, though I'm not sure who owns her tbh. Cooking Mama has had a strong presence on Nintendo systems as well

Last edited:

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Game 2: 1. Decidueye

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Game 1: King K. Rool
Obvious choice.

Game 2:
Waluigi
I like Decidueye, but Waluigi deserves it more because he's pretty iconic.

Game 3: Ridley
No contest. Ridley is the third most iconic Nintendo villain, is relevant, and should've been playable a long time ago.

Game 4: Bandana Dee
Fourth Wheel of Kirby series Vs Third wheel of DK series? Gonna pick the little guy, he deserves a prize.

Folezicle

Smash Rookie
Suggestions for the third party comp, all have released games on Nintendo
- Rayman
- Jade (Beyond Good Evil) (personal favourite)
- Ezio (Assassins Creed) (He has appeared in the most games)
- Neku (The World Ends with You) (Has a strong relationship with Nintendo)
- Cronno (Chrono Trigger) (Spelling might be wrong)
- Adam Jensen (Deus Ex) (We might see Mankind Divided or Deus Ex Go on the Switch)
- Lara Croft (Tomb raider)
- Monster Hunter character
- Doom Marine (Doom)
- Wolfenstein protagonist, can't recall his name (Wolfenstein is considered the first FPS)
- Prince of Persia (Not sure if the old school one was on a Nintendo platform, but an important game in history)
- Octopath Traveller character (might be a Swotch exclusive)

After that bracket you could do a overlooked characters, such as first parties that might have a max of 3 pages in their support thread.

Last edited:

JV_Nerdson

Smash Cadet
1.King. K. Rool
2. Decidueye
3. Isaac
4. Dixie Kong

Kinda sad that I missed out on the previous round, but should be interesting to see what the final match up ends up being. I'm thinking a K.Rool x Ridley final with K.Rool coming out on top.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Game 1: 2. Takamaru - This one was actually a close one for me. I respect K. Rool and want more heavies and mroe villains, but I really want an Iaido character, and the tools at Takamaru's disposal interest me more.
Game 2: 2. Waluigi - By the power of WAA he needs to win.
Game 3: 2. Isaac - I'm just not a Ridley fan.
Game 4: 1. Bandana Dee - I want that spear user man. Plus he's cuter.

Cycrum

Smash Apprentice
Game 1: 2. Takamaru
Game 2: 2. Waluigi
Game 4: 1. Bandana Dee

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
FunAtParties FunAtParties Aren't ideas for another bracket a little off topic? We're trying to vote the quarterfinals of this bracket. Though, I would wonder if Geno could make a reappearance in the third-party bracket?

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I skipped some rounds because after my most wanted was eliminated I just lost interest in the game, though, now there are few choices and it's simpler to vote, so I'll just join again.

King K. Rool vs. 2. Takamaru: Takamaru

King K Rool was relevant on SNES, though he's been replaced by other villains, also I think that its cartoony design doesn't fit very well with the more anime-like design of most Nintendo characters (even the monkeys appear to be more fitting than him, at least they look like Mario characters, kinda).
Takamaru was already an assist trophy and it's a rep. of a classic franchise, so he may work in a similar way as bringing back the Ice Climbers or Duck Hunt Dog. Add that I never really cared about the Donkey Kong series at all.

1. Decidueye vs. 2. Waluigi: Waluigi

I don't really care of Pokèmon, aside of some rare exceptions.

1. Ridley vs. 2. Isaac: Ridley

I don't think Binding of Isaac will get represented in Smash, there is too much blood and... just kidding, I know it's not THAT Isaac XD Well, Isaac from Golden Sun. Either way, Ridley is the most important character in the Metroid series besides Samus, so everyone loses against him, plus if they manage to make him playable in the game (despite being BIG and being able to fly), he would be very cool and unique.

1. Bandana Dee vs 2. Dixie Kong: Dixie Kong

The easiest choice. I'm a Kirby fan, and there are countless Kirby characters I'd like to play as in smash (Adeleine being my most wanted, but she's not the only one I'd like to have in Smash). The Dream Friends in Kirby Star Allies are reviving a lot of cool characters, and they are all creative and unique to play as. From all of them, the only one I absolutely don't care about, is Bandana Dee, because I think he's uninteresting, both character wise and gameplay wise. Additionally, Dixie Kong is like the third most important character in the whole DK series, both classic and modern, so, while I don't care of Donkey Kong, I still go with Dixie Kong, both because I think she deserves more than K Rool, and because I prefer other Kirby characters over the only one I absolutely don't care about and that I consider a wasted opportunity for a better Kirby rep. (I hope this doesn't offend anyone)

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
King K.Rool

- Easy to guess why here. For all the obvious reaons obviously.

Waluigi

- Hard choice here. But at least Waluigi isn't as forced. With a bigger roster and most important Mario characters already in, am willing to give it a go.

Isaac

- Loved Golden Sun. It's in desperate need of something new. Even if it's just a remake of the first game or so. Ridley won't happen anyway and there's more Metroid characters to choose from.

Dixie Kong

- Obvious choice is obvious. I'll take any DKC newcomer I can get. And she has enough to warrant inclusion and easily could be unique.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Now that it's whittled down so much I can write about each choice.

There's no way Takamaru deserves it more than the King. I'm not even one of his loyal fans and I know he's one of the most deserving with the most potential of the remaining 8. Takamaru is also only riding on popularity because a "retro pick" is tradition. Takamaru pales in comparison.

Game 2: 1. Decidueye
A harder decision but ultimately Decidueye is in my top 10 even if I'd rather Mimikyu. Waluigi would be fun, for the memes and because he'd be great. But he's not a fricken ghost owl archer. Also there will be a new gen 7 Pokemon rep so...

Game 3: 1. Ridley
He's my number 1 wanted necomer. Issac is overrated in my opinion. Ridley is also overrated. But he's my dream boy.

Probably the only hard decision of these 4. But Dixie Kong deserves a spot in smash, and I will defend this next statement, even more so than King K. Rool. Bandana Dee is the 4th Kirby character and is almost a shoe in, but a generic enemy with a piece of clothing can not beat out one of the three iconic Kongs.

Kinda weird to see 2 Donkey Kong characters in the final 4. Shows how much Donkey Kong needs to be repped in Smash.

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
The picks are getting harder again, with the cream of the crop facing off against each other. alright here come my votes

Game 1: King K. Rol vs Takamaru
Takamaru

I feel bad voting against K. Rool given that he deserves the spot and has a lot of potential, but I really enjoyed Nazo no Murasame-Jo and I think Taka has a lot of potential. plus if this boosts his popularity, it'd be cool to see his franchise revived.

Game 2: Decidueye vs Waluigi
Waluigi

Another tough one where i feel bad for the character I didn't vote for. I have a Decidueye as my starter in Sun, and he's awesome. but I see a lot of potential in Waluigi's zany antics and nonsense abilities. plus, Gen 8 is coming, soon the Decidueye bandwagon will end and a new Pokemon will take his place, the WAAH is eternal.

Game 3: Ridley vs Isaac
Isaac

Probably the easiest choice of the round, Ridley is cool and all, but still feels pretty unfeasible. plus Isaac seems to have some pretty cool abilities from what I've seen of him. so I think it'd be cooler to see him added.

Game 4: Bandana Dee vs Dixie Kong
Bandana Dee

I really love Badnana Dee, I love Waddle Dees in general. BWD's popularity and presence just continues to grow with every new Kirby game. and I feel like his spear (and spear copter) would be really fun to use in smash. Sorry Dixie, you're awesome too, and would also bring a bunch of neat stuff. but Bandana Dee is in my top 3 most wanted.

D

Deleted member

Looks like it's the end of the road for Decidueye. RIP my boy, you had a good run.

Last edited by a moderator:

Folezicle

Smash Rookie
One other character which could make it on the third-part bracket is Steve from Minecraft. I'm not a fan of him but he does have decent potential to be on the roster.

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Round Over. No further votes will be counted.

And we’re back! Thanks for record participation last round! Thanks also to anyone who has provided third-party suggestions; I already planned on including many of those, but there were some I hadn't thought of that should help fill out the bracket.

Well, after a lot of checking, these are the tallies I came up with for the results:

1. K. Rool defeated 2. Takamaru by a score of 55-17

The inevitable blowout. I don’t know if anyone other than maybe Ridley could challenge K. Rool.
1. Decidueye defeated 2. Waluigi by a score of 37-35

This was the big one. Had to do several rechecks to make sure I didn’t mess this one up. Waluigi started off great but slipped towards the middle. Most people who voted noted this as a toss-up. Crazy to think that it would only have taken one person to flip their vote for this to have gone differently.
1. Ridley defeated 2. Isaac by a score of 41-31

I feared Ridley’s popularity had slipped a bit since Smash 4, but the same is probably true of Isaac, so this makes sense.
2. Dixie Kong defeated 1. Bandana Dee by a score of 41-31

Our only upset of the round. Dixie almost managed to beat Bandana Dee by the same margin that she beat Ashley. Bandana Dee is the only 1-seed to not make the Final Four.

@Lampy was kind enough to do some tallies as well, and while there were some discrepancies, the winners were the same, so we should be fine.

And that creates the following Final Four matchups:

Game 1: 1. King K. Rool vs 1. Decidueye
Game 2: 1. Ridley vs 2. Dixie Kong

I don’t expect either game to be as close as Decidueye vs. Waluigi, but we’ll see.

Begin Round 5 Voting. Voting will run until at least 22:00 EDT on Thursday, May 3
(Subject to extension if voting is still active)

Last edited:

Bootortle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J-Dudd
3DS FC
0259-0284-1711
Switch FC
SW-4554-3900-0616
This is going to end up being the blowout round, isn't it?
Game 2: Ridley
All 4 of these guys would make for welcome newcomers in my book

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Exactlly what I expected.

Game 1: Decidueye.
This is almost a pity vote. As I've noted several times, Decidueye isn't even my preffered Pokemon rep, but he is in my top 10. And while I really want King K. Rool, he's not in my top 10 and it's more out of the respect of his fan base. I don't expect Decideueye to win this round, but if it's as close as his last battle, then my vote could matter (probably won't XD).

Despite being my number one, Ridley is also just more deserving than Dixie. Metroid has almost technically less representation and Ridley is such a big part of the Smash series already.

Although it's cool to see Ridley against King K. Rool, and it says a lot about their two fanbases, King K. Rool will ultimately win as he has been in the top 10 thread. But maybe I'll be in for a surprise!

D

Deleted member

I expected Isaac to fall, but Bandana Dee too? And Decidueye is going against a titan... What a tragic turn of events. Ouch.
This is fairly easy regardless...

Game 1: Decidueye
Looks like the end of the road, but he had a good run.
While I do want King K. Rool in Smash, my desire for Decidueye dwarfs my desire for any other character. I've explained countless times that I want him because he's my 3rd favorite Pokemon and I would love an archer in Smash, and I know I'm not the only one with that thought process. Unfortunately, outsiders are going to label him as a ""forced bandwagon"" because he happens to be a grass starter.
He's not gonna win this round, but I'm not gonna switch sides just because one of them is more likely to win than the other. Decidueye all the way.

I'm not gonna lie, I just don't find Dixie to be that interesting of a choice. I do want her in but out of all the choices in the previous round she was the one I care about the least, and it's no different here. Frankly my main reason for wanting her is because she's the most fun character to play as in DKC2.
I'm a pretty new Ridley supporter, but one of his fans got me on board by presenting a good idea for a gimmick. I mostly want him for his fans though, their dedication is contagious and they're pretty nice people, and I can imagine they've been through a lot.

We all know it's gonna be King K. Rool vs Ridley in the end though. I'll eat a shoe if it won't turn out like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Game One: Decidueye
One of my most wanted characters vs a character I lost my enthusiasm for. Easy choice.

Game Two: Dixie Kong
She seems like she'd be a ton of fun.

Handy Man

Smash Ace

King K. Rool is by far my most wanted newcomer. I would definitely main him if he was in Smash for Switch. From his twisted yet hilarious personality, to how he learns and adapts to each of his encounters with the Kongs, King K. Rool is one of my favorite video game characters of all time. Plus, the Donkey Kong Country games are very beloved and have a big legacy.

Sakurai has been very adamant about excluding him as a playable character, but as one of the most iconic Nintendo characters of all time, he should have already been playable in Brawl. Hopefully Sakurai changes his mind and lets Ridley join the battle, he deserves it.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
He's a better pick in my eyes. Nothing personal against Decidueye, I just like K Rool more.
Completely indifferent to Dixie and I think Ridley fans have been through enough torture so let them have their character.

Also, rip Takamaru and Isaac, I knew you guys weren't winning but you did great anyways

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Most Wanted Round 5.png

All the Kongs I guess

K. Rool vs. Decidueye: I don't honestly care about either, but I guess of right now I prefer DK to Pokemon?
Ridley vs. Dixie: Dixie's my favourite Kong to play as in the whole damn series. She's gonna get stomped though.

TheEgilHasLanded

Smash Rookie
Great. Two characters up against each other that I care about and two against each other that I don’t. All my most wanteds are gone now RIP Bandanna Dee, Rex and Pyra, Qbby just to name a few. Anyway...

Game 1: King K Rool vs Decidueye - Decidueye
Sorry K. Rool. I do want you, you know.
Game 2: Ridley vs Dixie Kong - Ridley
Never played any games with Dixie in them. I kind of hate Dixie anyway.

Prediction: Ridley annhilates K. Rool in the final (unfortunately)

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Game 2: Dixie Kong

All four of these are in my top 10 most wanted so I'm satisfied.

slambros

Smash Ace
Game 1: King K. Rool (more heavy characters)
Game 2: Dixie Kong (not like it's gonna matter anyway)

:171:

Top Bottom