• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Switch Most Wanted Newcomer Bracket Challenge (Third-Party)- Game Over; Results Posted

How Often Should Each Round Last?

• 1 Day

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • 2 Days

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • 3 Days

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • Whenever OP feels the votes slow down

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Don't care; how it is being handled is fine

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • Other (explain in comments)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Could people not post running results in the middle of the round?

Votes: 12 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Game 1: Banjo & Kazooie - Actually played the bear and bird's games.
Game 2: Tails - When I stop and think which is more iconic with a long history, Tails wins the flip.
Game 3: Lloyd Irving - Sure.
Game 4: Shantae - Seems more interesting for me.
Game 5: Rayman - I played a few of his games, I think.
Game 6: Simon Belmont - Whips.
Game 7: Crash Bandicoot - He is wackier.
Game 8: Bomberman - Played some of his games, I remember enjoying the elemental bosses/bomb game.

Last edited:

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
Not necessarily a problem if it is what you are going for, but are you trying to stage the game so that first parties make the Final Four in the upper brackets and third parties make it in the bottom two? Because the matchups certainly seem stacked that way to me, particularly in the top left (heavily skewed for first-party) and bottom right (heavily skewed for third-party). The fact that you have the third parties to be listed first in the bottom regions seem to suggest that as well.

Even if that was the plan, I probably wouldn't put Crash and Banjo in the same region- same goes for Shovel Knight and Rayman. Obviously its too early to say for sure, but I have a feeling those might be the Championship and Consolation games of this bracket, respectively. Crash & Banjo just seems like a stronger duo than Shovel Knight and Rayman. I could be wrong, of course; we'll just have to see.

There are some good matchups to be had here, though- Bomberman vs Chibi-Robo is one of my favorites. My concern still is that it just ends with a K. Rool and Ridley rematch. Maybe people are fine with that.
If you want, you can run that as bracket as well. I'd be happy retiring once the current bracket is complete. I'd still play either way.
I think I need to do some further thinking for these matchups, so nothing is set in stone. You do bring up some good points though.

How did you make the brackets for the first and third party matchups by the way?

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Game 1: Banjo & Kazooie
Game 2: Tails
Game 3: Shovel Knight
Game 4: Shantae
Game 5: Amaterasu
Game 6: Simon Belmont
Game 7: Spyro
Game 8: Neku Sakuraba

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Well, I thought I'd be able to end the round on time. But when I reviewed the scores, I realized I missed one. So... nope! We have a tie. Guess the next voter gets to make the ultimate decision on that particular game. I should have things ready shortly after that lucky voter posts. Come soon, lucky voter!

Super Flygon Super Flygon I used a couple of websites- https://challonge.com/tournament/bracket_generator to create the matchups and http://www.freebracketgenerator.com/ for the physical bracket. For the third-party bracket, I actually just edited the one I made for the first-party bracket in Adobe Pro since the website wasn't working for some reason.

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
Well, I thought I'd be able to end the round on time. But when I reviewed the scores, I realized I missed one. So... nope! We have a tie. Guess the next voter gets to make the ultimate decision on that particular game. I should have things ready shortly after that lucky voter posts. Come soon, lucky voter!

Super Flygon Super Flygon I used a couple of websites- https://challonge.com/tournament/bracket_generator to create the matchups and http://www.freebracketgenerator.com/ for the physical bracket. For the third-party bracket, I actually just edited the one I made for the first-party bracket in Adobe Pro since the website wasn't working for some reason.
Oh, looks like it is easier than I thought. Thanks!

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Game 2: Phoenix Wright
Game 3: Lloyd Irving
Game 4: Professor Layton
Game 5: Rayman
Game 6: Simon Belmont
Game 7: Crash Bandicoot
Game 8/Bonus: Bomberman

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Round 3 Over. No further votes will be counted.

And here are your results. There weren't many surprises, to be honest, with the exception of the one nail-biter.

Game 1: 1. Banjo & Kazooie defeated 13. Jade by a score of 40-3
Jade proved herself to be a very tolerated character, but it takes more than that to take down a titan like Banjo. Even so, I hope they remember you. Banjo & Kazooie get their first true test next round after having the easiest path so far.

Game 2: 2. Phoenix Wright defeated 3. Tails by a score of 25-17
One of the closer games. People didn't seem to have anything against Phoenix Wright, so this can probably be chalked up to Tails being a good opponent.

Game 3: 1. Shovel Knight defeated 5. Lloyd Irving by a score of 28-15
A strong victory by Shovel Knight. I honestly thought there was a chance that he might lose. He'll need to do more, though, to convince me that his corner of the bracket is not the weakest.

Game 4: 3. Professor Layton defeated 2. Shantae by a score of 21-20
A great matchup between candidates that have been met unenthusiastically in the comments. I thought Shantae had won until realizing a skipped a vote; Layton ended up carrying it in the tiebreaker. Layton is probably lucky to be here; I think there's a decent chance either of them would have lost to most of the 2 through 4 seeds.

Game 5: 1. Rayman defeated 5. Amaterasu by a score of 28-14
Not many thoughts were given on this matchup, other than Rayman being more well-known from a more played series.

Game 6: 2. Simon Belmont defeated 3. Sora by a score of 29-15
A great victory for Simon over a worthy opponent. Let's see if he can extend that success.

Game 7: 1. Crash Bandicoot defeated 4. Spyro by a score of 31-12
Take heart, Spyro. Everyone felt bad about this. Based off the reactions, Spyro could easily have been a 3-seed. A very impressive win by Crash in that so many liked Spyro, yet they went with Crash all the same.

Game 8: 2. Bomberman defeated 6. Neku Sakuraba by a score of 32-11
TWEWY seems to be quite popular in these parts, but Neku was deemed not iconic enough to match his foe.

Bonus Game: 2. Bomberman defeated 3. Eggman by a score of 16-5
Eggman actually didn't do quite as well against Bomberman as Neku, so I suppose this supports the results from the last round.

And here are your Elite Eight matchups:

Game 1: 1. Banjo & Kazooie vs 2. Phoenix Wright
Game 2: 1. Shovel Knight vs 3. Professor Layton
Game 3: 1. Rayman vs 2. Simon Belmont
Game 4: 1. Crash Bandicoot vs 2. Bomberman

Begin Round 4. Voting will last until at least 22:00 EDT on Thursday, May 18
I'm going to be traveling again this weekend, so updates might not be as punctual.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
Proud of Tails getting that far. Though frankly I'm half relieved he didn't advance. It would of been brutal against Banjo

Game 2: Professor Layton
Game 3: Rayman
Game 4: Crash Bandicoot

Pizza Robo

Smash Journeyman
Game 1 Banjo & Kazooie
Game 2 Shovel Knight
Game 3 Simon Belmont
Game 4 Crash Bandicoot

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Game 1: Banjo & Kazooie - Never played Phoenix's games, so Bird and Bear have the Wright of way.
Game 2: Professor Layton - Never played either's game. Coin flip type pick.
Game 3: Rayman - Tough one for me. Have some liking to both, but I know I played more of Rayman a long time ago.
Game 4: Crash Bandicoot - Crash is the wackier, funner of the two.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

It was a well fought battle Spyro. If the bracket worked out differently, maybe you could have survived.

Game 1 Banjo and Kazooie

There is a reason they have curbstomped everyone thus far. Honestly I think they will take this whole bracket, only Crash could stop their rampage maybe, but even then that day in the RTC makes me hesitant.

Game 2 Layton

Ding dong the witch is dead. Congratulations Layton. You have outlived your usefulness once these indie dogs are dealt with.

Game 3 Rayman

I like Simon, but we all know it is gonna go against him. One thing interesting is he is on the RTC tomorrow. Maybe that might help him?

Game 4 Crash Bandicoot

Crash may have felled his brother in arms, but I will support Crash through this bracket to the end.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Game 1: 1. Banjo & Kazooie LET'S GO BANJO-KAZOOIE!! <3
Game 2: 1. Shovel Knight Sorry, Prof, the Shovel calls!
Game 3: 2. Simon Belmont Tough choice honestly, I'd love both of these guys in, but classic Simon Belmont would be too cool to see in Smash.
Game 4: 2. Bomberman Sorry Crash, Bomberman has more history with Nintendo than you.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
...aaaaand there goes the last character I may actively have wanted. This one is a lot tougher than the 1st party bracket. I can't really see a contest between first-party winners and third-party winners, honestly.

I'll give it a go though

1. Banjo-Kazooie. Don't really know either much, but BK's definitely more recognizable, and I've just been replaying DK64, so they'd fit. I don't want them to usurp DHD though.
  2. Shovel-Knight is the only indie I'd be marginally ok with, even though I can't stand the "totes-retro-pixel-art-is-awesome-because-we're-indie-and-can't-afford-to-do-better" art style. Layton is very generic, and I think puzzle games are more apt for stages than playable characters
  3. Belmont, since I like the concept better. The Limbless Wonder just has an artstyle that weirds me out, and I honestly never heard of Rayman before his trophy in Sm4sh. I know Ubisoft more for Assassin's Creed.
  4. Crash, but again I'm not that familiar with either, but Crash undeniably has the more evident characterization.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Game 1: 1. Banjo & Kazooie
Sorry Nick I love you and your games but the Bird and Bear own heart
Game 2: 3. Professor Layton
No real reasoning for this one just kinda chose Layton
Game 3:2. Simon Belmont
Rayman is neat but Castlevania is just awesome
Game 4: 1. Crash Bandicoot
While I don't care for either very much for a short while he attempted to take down the plumber. That deserves recognition.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
WHOOOO GO LAYTON! Too bad Wright is gonna get slaughtered by Banjo, but seeing the Prof. and the Ace Attorney make it this far really makes me proud.

Game 1: Phoenix Wright
He won’t win but I don’t care.
Game 3: Simon Belmont
Has more moveset potential, more history, and a cooler design imo.
Game 4: Bomberman
They’re even in my book though.

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913

slambros

Smash Ace
Game 2: Shovel Knight

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
While I like the idea of Phoenix more, Banjo just fits with the already existing cast better.
I actually kind of want Shovel Knight. Most out of these choices at least.
Eh. He's very likely in general.
Boringggg ugh I hate most third party reps :/. I guess Bomberman has a bit more to go for him. Don't really want either.

Predicting a Banjo vs. someone. Hopefully Shovel Knight.
Edit: my dumb ass just realized we can't have a Banjo vs. Shovel Knight be our last match. This will actually make the next one interesting because both are highly requested and for different reasons. It'll likely wind up one of them vs. Rayman.

Last edited:

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice
I want to see the impossible dream come true.
A puzzle fighter could be interesting
Has been and will always be my most wanted character.
Bombs are fun

Originality

Smash Journeyman
Game 2: 1. Shovel Knight
Game 3: 2. Simon Belmont
Game 4: 2. Bomberman

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Game 1: 1. Banjo & Kazooie (I love Ace Attorney and Banjo-Kazooie, but I don’t think Wright is a good fit for a fighting game. I know he’s in Marvel vs Capcom, but I don’t know.)

Game 2: 3. Professor Layton (Mostly just because I personally don’t really think indies should be in Smash.)

Game 3: 1. Rayman (Never been a huge fan of either franchise, but Rayman feels bigger to me, and from what I’ve seen, has been requested much more.)

Game 4: 1. Crash Bandicoot (I actually like the Bomberman games more than Crash Bandicoot, but Crash is more of an icon than Bomberman. He was essentially Sony’s mascot back in the day, so it would be cool to see him in Smash!)

Last edited:

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
Game 3: Rayman (disappointed that Sora lost last round...)

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Game 2: 3. Professor Layton

Game 4: 2. Bomberman

I voted Layton because I just don't want Shovel Knight. I only expect Banjo to make it past this round though.

Bootortle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J-Dudd
3DS FC
0259-0284-1711
Switch FC
SW-4554-3900-0616
We're at the point of "everyone's a worthy contender" again

D

Deleted member

Game 1: Phoenix Wright (Banjo seems cool but I've yet to play his games, and I'd like AA to get some kind of representation in Smash. He won't win this though)
Game 2: Shovel Knight (SHOVELRY)
Game 3: Rayman (I picked Simon in every round so far, but that was because I was either unfamiliar or disliked his opponent, but I actually find him rather bland and would prefer Alucard as the Castlevania rep. I do want Rayman)
Game 4: Crash (second most wanted 3rd party)
Those are my top 4 third parties so this is easy. I wouldn't mind the others if they got in though, and I even plan on playing Bomberman and Banjo Kazooie (and I've played a few Castlevania games already).
I'm a bit concerned that Shovel Knight might fall victim to the community's anti-indie agenda, but judging by how well Decidueye did despite being seen as a flavor of the month by many my concern is probably unfounded.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheFritzle

Smash Apprentice

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Everyone who voted against Neku

Game 3: 1. Rayman vs 2. Simon Belmont

Last edited:

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
Not much to say about the results. some I like are still here, some aren't. Banjo reigns supreme
let's go round 4

Game 1: Banjo & Kazooie vs Phoenix Wright
Banjo & Kazooie

Like last round, NO CONTEST. I have nothing against Phoenix, and I know he's reasonably iconic and thanks to Marvel vs Capcom he can even work in a fighting game. but no one. and I mean NO ONE is going to replace Banjo as my top want for Smash. (now that Sonic and Megaman are in at least)

Game 2: Shovel Knight vs Professor Layton
Shovel Knight

one of the few Indies I feel actually COULD be in Smash, at this point I'd say he even DESERVES a spot in Smash, the face of gaming has changed over the last few years, Indies are a thing now. Nintendo is aware of that. Shovel Knight with all his tools just feels like a better more enjoyable fit for smash compared to Layton. a Layton themed stage would be cool though.

Game 3: Rayman vs Simon Belmont
Simon Belmont

This was kind of a toss up. I don't have much desire for either one. and not much of a connection to them. but Simon feels like he could be more interesting and unique than Rayman thanks to his Whip

Game 4: Crash Bandicoot vs Bomberman
Bomberman

Sorry Crash, but Bomberman just feels like a better fit to me.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
1. Banjo Kazooie
2. Shovel Knight
3. Simon Belmont
4. Bomberman

Cycrum

Smash Apprentice
Game 1: 2. Phoenix Wright

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
I would take Phoenix Wright over a lot of the remaining characters, but... not Banjo

This was a hard pick. I'm not thrilled by either candidate, but they both make sense in some way. Shovel Knight is probably the best indie pick, but... I think I stick with the longer running series.

Rayman is perfectly fine and understandable, but he doesn't give me much active hype. I'll give Simon the edge here, though it's close. Simon probably is easier to mess up, but I trust the developers.

Another difficult one! I'd be actively happy with both, but I do have more personal connection to Bomberman. Yet, I do see there being more hype for Crash so... I don't know. Hopefully this vote doesn't matter.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Wright has made it far against my wishes, but I think his time is done. BK is still a Nintendo character in a lot of people's hearts, and that means a lot. I love the original BK games, and would love to see Banjo and Kazooie make an appearance on a Nintendo platform once again.

Actually not huge on either of these, but I do like the pogo Shovel attack at the very least.

Game 3: 1. Rayman vs2. Simon Belmont
Rayman is my most wanted 3rd party. He's a great character, even if his attacks in the newer games are pretty basic, his limblessness gives him potential for a lot of creative movements and attacks. It's been a dream of mine for a while to see this guy in Smash. My vote goes to Rayman.

Always loved Bomberman's look and design. He just has a star quality I could never really pinpoint. His games are classics with unique gameplay that would be really interesting to see translated into Smash. If it wasn't for Rayman, this would be my top pick. Crash is a tough matchup for anyone, but I gotta vote for my guy.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Game 3: 1. Rayman

Ura