• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Switch Most Wanted Newcomer Bracket Challenge (Third-Party)- Game Over; Results Posted

How Often Should Each Round Last?

• 1 Day

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • 2 Days

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • 3 Days

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • Whenever OP feels the votes slow down

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Don't care; how it is being handled is fine

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • Other (explain in comments)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Could people not post running results in the middle of the round?

Votes: 12 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Banjo. Banjo is like a Nintendo icon. Crash is much more a Sony icon. Also Crash is ugly.

Shovel Knight. Rayman is boring.

Is there going to be another tournament after this? I totally get if not, but this was a lot of fun overall and would love to continue.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Well, I knew Rayman had no chance against Crash, but it would've been difficult for me to pick between these guys anyway.

Championship Game: Banjo-Kazooie
Consolation Game: Rayman

Last edited:

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
Championship Game: Banjo & Kazooie

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Championship Game: 1. Banjo & Kazooie vs 1. Crash Bandicoot
Consolation Game: 1. Shovel Knight vs 1. Rayman

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Champion: Crash Bandicoot to represent my childhood.
Consolation: Shovel Knight so that I can hit someone in the face with a shovel!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Most wanted 3rd party final.png

Crash vs. Banjo: Banjo's great but Crash Bandicoot is honestly a bigger name. Between the two I'll go for the Sony rival since Microsoft has successfully managed to neuter Banjo with Nuts and Bolts to the point it's completely murdered the series and Rare are forced to work on utter crap these days.
Mario Vs. Sonic vs. Crash is perfection as a console mascot battle of the ages.

Rayman vs. Shovel Knight: Easiest choice; Rayman by a landslide. Rayman's a massive star with ties to the Marioverse thanks to Kingdom Battle, a trophy in Sm4sh (for some reason) and is published by Nintendo. Shovel Knight is not.

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
Championship Game: Crash Bandicoot
Somewhat tough match, but I do have to give it to Crash, largely thanks to the upcoming release of his trilogy. Starting to doubt Banjo would make it in myself (moreso than Crash anyways). I also actually want Crash more than Banjo.

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Championship Game: 1. Banjo & Kazooie If Crash Bandicoot got in before Banjo-Kazooie, I'd be very disappointed. Not that I don't think Crash is undeserving of a place in Smash, but Banjo-Kazooie were Nintendo originals and deserve to make it in first. No contest who would've won for me anyway.
Consolation Game: 1. Rayman I'd love both, but Rayman deserves to be in more than an indie.

Sheng Long

Smash Apprentice
Championship Game: 1. Crash (YES YES YES)
Consolation Game: 1. Rayman (Rayman REALLY needs to be in Smash as well, he deserves it more than Shovel Knight AND he's also a part of my childhood. Although not as big as Crash is of course.)

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Championship Game: Banjo & Kazooie
Crash is pretty hype, but seeing Banjo & Kazooie in a Nintendo All-Star game is partially setting right a major tragedy of gaming history. So wholesome. I have more personal connection to them, and I also feel like they'd be more interesting to play as than Crash. Crash is still cool, though.

I've warmed up some to the idea of Shovel Knight, but I'm just not sure that he's earned it yet, especially in comparison to Rayman.

Last edited:
Championship Game: Crash Bandicoot

Although Banjo and Kazooie were once considered Nintendo All Stars and I see them being able to "fit" better in Smash, at this point in time Crash looks to be in a better position overall, plus he has that universal appeal.

In saying that I have a big soft spot for Banjo Kazooie, up against anyone else I'd pick them. I hope one day they get the Crash treatment in some way. Best platformers on the N64 by a country mile.

Rayman has pedigree and is a reasonably big deal. Plus the Rabbids as an Assist Trophy?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Banjo-Kazooie for Championship.

Legendary franchise, would probably restore relationships with Nintendo and Rare / Playtonic. Would open a lot of possibilities, such as a Banjo-Kazooie VC release. Plus they fit greatly into Smash, and where considered for Melee but the buyout happened unfortunately.

Shovel Knight for Consolation.

As a concept of a character, I just like him better than Rayman. He seems quirky, and in a way, Shovel Knight has already crossed over with a lot of other franchises, and has gained a amiibo. Rayman is a great character and has good ties to Nintendo, but this is just a matter of personal taste.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Imadethistoseealeak Imadethistoseealeak dont body shame Crash he was just born that way.

We should be shaming Banjo and Kazooie for having an intimate relationship out of wedlock.

This was sarcasm.

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Game Over. No further votes will be counted.

That's a wrap. The results were... not really that close. That's pretty much what I expected, but I wouldn't say as much beforehand, as I have to keep up appearances that this would be competitive, right?

1. Rayman defeated 1. Shovel Knight by a score of 30-14
Shovel Knight obviously had enough popularity to make it here, but people are a bit shaky on indies, especially against a character with a much longer legacy like Rayman. Congrats to the Limbless Wonder for a third place finish!

1. Banjo & Kazooie defeated 1. Crash Bandicoot by a score of 28-16
It's been made pretty clear that people prefer first-party characters to third-party overall. Banjo & Kazooie's Nintendo legacy definitely helped lift them over Crash and his hype. Hopefully we can get both options?
This was a tad closer than the consolation game, but still not too competitive. Congrats to the bird and bear for smashing (heh) the competition in every round!

Hopefully I can get the fancy PDF bracket finished sometime tomorrow, for those that like that.

And there you have it. So, what's next? Well, Super Flygon Super Flygon has been planning a Veterans bracket to go in the Veterans Speculation subforum since it fits there better. Be sure to check what happens with that! As for this thread? Personally, I'm ready to retire as Gamemaster, but I would be happy to see someone else make a bracket if they have inspiration to do so. We might be able to see about switching thread ownership if that's the case (or if not, make a new one). Just let me know.

Whenever there is a meeting, a parting is sure to follow. But that parting need not last forever. Whether a parting be forever or merely for a short time... that is up to you.

Thanks for playing.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well this has been a ride. Hope it keeps chugging in the veteran section, Super Flygon Super Flygon be sure to keep us posted!

I second the idea of an obscure characters bracket so hard it hurts.

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Happy my most wanted characters from both sides won lol

Thanks for doing this Nimbostratus, it was very enjoyable!

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
YAY BANJO-KAZOOIE! Congrats to all the characters though who made it this far, but thanks to all who voted for the bear and bird too. They really needed this win, honestly. Hopefully we'll see some suitable third party characters for Switch <3

Top Bottom