• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Series Confessions

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
I can't get used to jumping with X/Y. I'm actually able to WD consistently with tap jump on, at least as Mewtwo.

I instinctively try to edgehog in SSB4.

I completely agree with tier lists, but I main mid-to-low tier characters across the board, aside from 64 Pikachu (and if one counts PM Mewtwo)

I was really proud of my 9-year-old self for finding out that Yoshi's air dodge could be used as a "third jump"

Oh, and this one especially. During my early-mid teens ('06-'08), I was heavily biased against Brawl. Actually, during 06 I was just as on-board with the hype train as everyone else. I was actually saving up for a Wii just for Brawl. It looked really exciting and whatnot, but I wasn't hyped for the new characters as much as I was for Mewtwo's possible return. Therefore, I dropped 95% of my interest in the game when he was deconfirmed. I don't even remember what "deconfirmed" him to me. I wanna say it was Lucario, but I think that might just be my mind retroactively putting him in, because apparently he wasn't even confirmed til a few days before the game came out. I could be wrong though. Either way something happened and in my mind it meant he wasn't gonna be in. I think I even believed that fake SSE "leak", whenever that was... I largely preferred Melee just for the roster (and still sort of do, but to a lesser extent). Later on, I watched the "Brawl" episode of Arby n' the Chief and found out Wolf was in the game, and that turned a lot of my hate for the game around. Still, by that point I'd already bought a 360 and couldn't get a Wii anymore. I was also sad when a lot of my opponents during my early days of competitive Pokemon dropped the game to focus on Brawling. So it could be said that I have something of a love-hate relationship with the game. I thoroughly enjoyed it when I finally picked it up, though.

aethermaster

Smash Ace
NNID
Aethermaster
3DS FC
2552-2699-1664
64 used to scare me with Master Hand and oddly enough the siren that played when a new challenger was approaching. It scared me so much I stopped playing it and went to Melee when it came out (though I was older at that time so I wasn't scared)

I cannot beat level 9's in Brawl 1 v 1 and I always get dead last when I played 4 player matches with items against them to the point where I turned off the Dragoon item because they would specifically go for me. This was a drastic change from Melee where I never lost against the CPU at all. When I got PM, I was back to how I was in Melee so the fault wasn't 100% mine. This problem thankfully went away in Smash 3DS too but there's still the Wii U version to account for...

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
  • If I ever lose against a :4littlemac:, especially an unskilled one due to foolishly not paying attention or something, it's a serious blow to my pride and my performance rapidly deteriorates in the following matches.
  • I have no idea how I'm going to juggle my 3D and U playtime. And real life stuff.
  • My FG record is serious business to me. I panic when it drops, especially when it's to the next tens.

Skyward

Smash Apprentice
A Few Ridley Related Confessions:

- I never thought Ridley would be playable after the Smash Direct, and I don't think the Direct was teasing the possibility of him being playable either. Sakurai talked about him during the section on stage bosses, and i thought it was pretty clear what his role was going to be. I thought not showing Ridley directly on camera was a result of the boss being unfinished, as shown by the sharp turns he makes near the end and the fact that not many bosses had been shown off anyway.
- I also never cared for Ridley, and that probably explains the above. I think he should turn up eventually, but I am not in a rush. I also don't think he should be shrunk down too much.
- Yay Mewtwo

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Dispite my pessimism for Mewtwo/DLC in general, I'm happy to see it.

Yaknow, I better sig that before the "I told you so"s roll in.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
With Mewtwo's DLC announcement I now have a lot of hopes for some characters I would like to be DLC.

I also still have hope that Snake and maybe Wolf will return as DLC too. Call it cautious optimism or something.

Last edited:

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
Is it still okay to post here? If not, feel free to let me know.

• Brawl is probably my favorite Smash so far, mostly because Olimar is in it. That said, I like all of the Smash games I have played and have begun to appreciate Melee more after playing it a bunch before the releases of Brawl and Smash 3DS.
  • I spam Pikmin as Olimar and don't really know how to use the whistle move properly. I'm generally pretty terrible at fast characters like Sheik, Fox, and Falco and typically rely on ones with a spammable projectile.
  • I am only good enough at Smash to be able to beat people who have not really played it before. I tend to struggle against pretty much anybody who has some skill at the game.
  • I find the prospect of online Smash pretty intimidating and do not really intend to play Smash 4 online (out of maybe a handful of matches). After getting stomped in Mario Kart, I'm doubtful that online Smash would be fun for me. I kind of wish there were some cooperative online modes though.
  • I don't really have real life Smash friends to play with, so I will probably end up doing tons more single player Smash than multiplayer Smash.
  • I have no real objection to items, but I often like playing with them off when practicing alone against COMs because they can might it harder to try out moves.
  • I still don't really know how to use tilts properly.
  • I'm not sure how some people believed Marth was a woman at first given his trophy description and voice, but I know I have made many dumber mistakes before so I really shouldn't be talking.

Last edited:

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
  • I prefer items on than off
  • I can't wavedash
  • I don't respect project M as a smash game
  • I don't want anymore characters from the Big 4
  • I use Jigglypuff to event match 52 in melee
  • I play brawl more than melee now
  • I hate most competitive smashers
  • I use to have a crush of Sakurai

LordCQ

Smash Journeyman
Thanks to Melee, my best friend and I are best friends since Jr. High School. 10 years of friendship and counting (:

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
- I loved Event 51 so much from Melee but found Event 40 & 41 from Brawl to be very lackluster matches in comparison. With the eminent return of Mewtwo, I hope that there will be some DLCs for Event Mode where we can experience it again! Maybe have Giga Koopa instead of a big Bowser~

- Multi-Man Melee 2 is best song ever and I pray for it to come back in Smash 4 in original form. i know there's the "opening (ssbm)" song featured in brawl but it just isn't the same

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
- I loved Event 51 so much from Melee but found Event 40 & 41 from Brawl to be very lackluster matches in comparison. With the eminent return of Mewtwo, I hope that there will be some DLCs for Event Mode where we can experience it again! Maybe have Giga Koopa instead of a big Bowser~

- Multi-Man Melee 2 is best song ever and I pray for it to come back in Smash 4 in original form. i know there's the "opening (ssbm)" song featured in brawl but it just isn't the same
Both if those things, soooo much.
I consider Multi Man Melee 2 to be the true Theme Song of Melee. It's blasphemous that it hasn't been brought back yet.
-I have yet to win against Dedede in Smash 4. I might have once but it was most likely an accident.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Whenever someone says Aura and Rage "rewards you for playing badly", I laugh. If it's a self proclaimed competitive player saying this, I laugh even more, because does this guy even know how the games work?

I mean, not only does Lucario suffer more than any other character on losing a stock, he shines the most when he's already in the lead, securing that lead more and more as his damage naturally rises over the course of the fight. Anyone trying Lucario with the mindset that he rewards bad play is in for a world of hurt.

Last edited:

the8thark

Smash Lord
Whenever someone says Aura and Rage "rewards you for playing badly", I laugh. If it's a self proclaimed competitive player saying this, I laugh even more, because does this guy even know how the games work?

I mean, not only does Lucario suffer more than any other character on losing a stock, he shines the most when he's already in the lead, securing that lead more and more as his damage naturally rises over the course of the fight. Anyone trying Lucario with the mindset that he rewards bad play is in for a world of hurt.
It makes getting the early lead vs Lucario essential. If you do not get it, then kiss your match goodbye, you lose. Very low chance of a comeback.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357

Both if those things, soooo much.
I consider Multi Man Melee 2 to be the true Theme Song of Melee. It's blasphemous that it hasn't been brought back yet.
Multi-Man Melee 2 has been heard in both the Smash Direct back in April and the 50-fact extravaganza.

It's definitely back, probably as a song for Final Destination.

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
Here I go...

- I never thought about playing Brawl until I saw Wario could fart and eat things.

- The feeling I felt when I played Melee for the first time was disappointment. So many people say it's better than Brawl for many reasons that are wrong. I also sucked because I never used a gamecube controller since 2008.

- Never used c-stick till recently

-My immediate thought on Mewtwo coming in Smash 4

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Here are some big confessions for me
  • I gave up on Jumpman long before April
  • I can't find a solid main (dunno if that's a bad thing)
  • I like Pichu in Melee
  • I was fine with Mewtwo being out of Brawl even though I wanted him back
  • I hated Ridley fans before I committed to one
  • I suck at Melee (trust me)
  • 67294 other minor things that the community will hate me for.

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
I'm physically unable to concentrate solely on one character to main. I like to have at least 2-4 mains, typically 3, to have in nearly every game I play for more gameplay diversity and so I have different options to use that I can transfer between all my characters.

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
I'm physically unable to concentrate solely on one character to main. I like to have at least 2-4 mains, typically 3, to have in nearly every game I play for more gameplay diversity and so I have different options to use that I can transfer between all my characters.
That's actually not a bad idea from a competitive standpoint. I have 3 mains in every Smash game except 64. Ideally, I have one character I pick as my go-to when I don't know who my opponent is picking (Mewtwo in Project M in my case). Following that are two other characters I pick if my #1 is a bad matchup or I need to counterpick. 3 characters aren't hard to learn and improve with, so it's a good balance of variety of playstyles.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
- I actively play as both :4pit: and :4darkpit: and alternate between the two. They're both awesome.

- I hate when people don't change characters in For Glory. Yeah I get they're perfecting their mains but I want to see some variety.

Sir_Waffle33

Smash Cadet
NNID
SirWaffle33
3DS FC
3437-3212-3786
Been mulling over sharing this information for a while. But since a lot of people are brave enough to post... you know what?

**** it!

I've been looking up peach and Zelda's skirts since I ever got mêlée in 2001. This began to develop my fetish of looking up video game characters' skirts. I'll admit it. I think it's hot. And honestly, it makes them look realistic to me. As in: they put on underwear just like the rest of us.

In mêlée, I am CONVINCED Zelda's trophy has some form of panties. Because there are stripes near the upper area of the tights. But maybe it's some design flaw.

And I'm pretty bummed peach has a void EVERYHERE in smash 4. 3ds, Wii u, trophies, the amiibo, everywhere.

I feel better getting that off my chest. I haven't told any of my friends that. They play smash bros too.

LuffyLink

Smash Apprentice
I hate Melee (except some stages and music) and I love Brawl
I'm afraid of Skulltulas (It's a trophy in SSB4 3ds)
For me, the opening of SSB4 Wii U is the best of the serie.
I lost 186 battle in for glory.
Dark Pit is one of my mains
I also play for fun
I love Zelda :love: and lana

Personally l prefer the air :4falco::troll:

Last edited:

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
* I'm the only one in my playgroup that knew the advance techniques in Melee. I got a kick out of startling people with Luigi's wavedash, showing them a sample of how messed up Jigglypuff can be, and making them laugh when I do the moonwalk as Mewtwo. I also enjoyed that Melee duels were basically me being a 2 legged man in a butt kicking contest full of one legged men.

* Thanks to certain mods, playing regular Brawl for me at this point would feel like taking a nice bath in running water as a vampire.

* I have about 80% of Super Smash Bros for 3DS complete but decided to stop playing it altogether for now because I feel it will only be right if I finish the remaining trophies and challenges with my old Melee main, Mewtwo.

* If Miis were allowed to be used online with Anyone, I'd just enter For Fun games with bizarre and crass looking Miis just to creep out the kiddies.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I also suck at Melee. I can't wavedash, dashdance, or anything special like that.

Also I can't Quick Attack Cancel as Pika in Brawl despite him being my main in that game and being competent in most other regards for Pika in Brawl. :I

My sense of timing and aerials is terrible. I either land the attack perfect or miss my aerial horribly and end up eating a combo.

Tyril132

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tyril132
3DS FC
4957-3662-2945
When I first got my start with Smash 64, I lived in a really small and insulated community and didn't really have many people to play it with competitively. Melee came out and and it was more of the same. Brawl came out and I hated the single player options and had awful online experiences with it, so I dropped it after maybe a few dozens of hours.

Now Smash 4 is out and I'm suffering a lot from 'big fish in a small pond' syndrome. I'm faced with having to unlearn years of bad habits like constant rolling that are a result of not having the feedback of fighting players who are better than me, and I know it's going to take a lot of work to break them. Thankfully, I have a nearly endless stream of players to practice against!

Last edited:

HammerHappy

Smash Apprentice
I love balance (player responsible) and hate randomness (chance responsible), leading me to dislike random or imbalanced games such as Hearthstone, Brawl (tripping, Meta Knight), Pokemon (on a competitive level), and any form of gambling. Though I understand how chance can be highly addicting to some people.

I don't like projectile based characters because the gameplay is boring, leading me to absolutely loath Duck Hunt Dog. And because looking at him reminds me of Banjo Kazooie and how the Rare I loved is dead. And because of that **** eating grin and laugh. Like, I would be happier if he wasn't even included in the game because Mewtwo would fill the character vacuum.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I got a confession to make

About ridleys fate from the begining

My feelings for ridleys inclusion in smash 4 from the very begining was neutral the whole time

So if he is playable (well now if hes in as dlc)

If hes out (or does not become dlc)

I mean yea i do hope ridley would be playable but im more neutral on his situation but this time his role is slightly higher than last time (last time it was a boss he premoted a hair to boss/assist)

So the purple ball was me and the blues are ridley fans

the8thark

Smash Lord
People seem to forget something.

A perfectly balanced Smash game would be a roster of 50 Marios (or 50 of any character you want) and no one else. Thus everyone has the same strengths and weakness and everyone can beat everyone else. But people would complain, why 50x the same character. This works in part as well. The more balance a game has, the more homogenised the characters or parts of the game are. You need that right mix, of new and interesting characters that might not be so balanced and nerfing/buffing everything so it's balanced (or similar).

With this mix, you have some weak characters and some strong characters. Can not really get away from this. But without that right mix, the game is just no fun as everything is just too similar. I think fun is more important. People will play a slightly (or moderately) imbalanced game that is damn fun. But people will not play the perfectly balanced game that is not fun because everything is so similar for the same of balance.

Last edited:

Tyril132

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tyril132
3DS FC
4957-3662-2945
People seem to forget something.

A perfectly balanced Smash game would be a roster of 50 Marios (or 50 of any character you want) and no one else. Thus everyone has the same strengths and weakness and everyone can beat everyone else. But people would complain, why 50x the same character. This works in part as well. The more balance a game has, the more homogenised the characters or parts of the game are. You need that right mix, of new and interesting characters that might not be so balanced and nerfing/buffing everything so it's balanced (or similar).

With this mix, you have some weak characters and some strong characters. Can not really get away from this. But without that right mix, the game is just no fun as everything is just too similar. I think fun is more important. People will play a slightly (or moderately) imbalanced game that is damn fun. But people will not play the perfectly balanced game that is not fun because everything is so similar for the same of balance.
I think you bring up a few good points, and I definitely agree that the game being fun or interesting to play should be the foremost concern. Further, we know that even "bottom tier" characters can be dangerous in the hands of a few very skilled players, but I do think it's possible for characters to have fundamental differences in the way they play and also achieve parity.

On a high level, it's a zero-sum game; if character A is good at something, he needs to be bad at something else to compensate. This part is largely conceptual, and is how you end up with characters like Little Mac (who is very dangerous on the ground, but very weak when he's off or near the edges of the stage.)

On a lower level, you get into the specifics of how far in a given direction that character's attributes should go. How good is too good at something? How weak is too weak? This is a numbers game, and is where the majority of balancing really comes into play. There's a perfect ideal number somewhere where that character's attributes can give them roughly equivalent win rates against other characters, but as the size of the roster increases this becomes much more difficult to pull off.

Last edited:

the8thark

Smash Lord
I think you bring up a few good points, and I definitely agree that the game being fun or interesting to play should be the foremost concern. Further, we know that even "bottom tier" characters can be dangerous in the hands of a few very skilled players, but I do think it's possible for characters to have fundamental differences in the way they play and also achieve parity.

On a high level, it's a zero-sum game; if character A is good at something, he needs to be bad at something else to compensate. This part is largely conceptual, and is how you end up with characters like Little Mac (who is very dangerous on the ground, but very weak when he's off or near the edges of the stage.)

On a lower level, you get into the specifics of how far in a given direction that character's attributes should go. How good is too good at something? How weak is too weak? This is a numbers game, and is where the majority of balancing really comes into play. There's a perfect ideal number somewhere where that character's attributes can give them roughly equivalent win rates against other characters, but as the size of the roster increases this becomes much more difficult to pull off.
You also make some good points.
What you say about the roster size is perfectly true. People asked Blizzard, why only 3 races in Starcraft, why not 4 or 5 (like the hybrid or Xel'Naga)? Blizzard's answer is, it would be much to large a cast (understanding each race is many many units/buildings) and would not be possible to balance properly without massive delays to the game. This is easily compared to Smash Bros. SSB4's roster is the hardest to balance simply because of it's size. You have exponentially more character combinations and move combinations to text and balance for. If SSB4 WiiU is at least relatively balanced I'll be very happy. I say WiiU as it's balance because of the controls, larger screen etc etc will be different. I understand all the work that had to go into balancing such a huge roster and it's not easy.

Also the zero sum (or character budgets as they are otherwise known) play a factor too. You described it well. It can be extreme like Little Mac, borderline OP in one area and total garbage in another area to compensate or you can be less extreme and have smaller buffs and nerfs to a character to balance it. The bad part of characters like Little Mac is if the meta shifts to what they are good at, they will not see much play at what they are not good at. . . and I think we all get what I am saying there. People will notice this and that's all you'll see online.

Also at a low level you talk about a numbers game. It's about numbers at this level but not exactly as you say. How good is too good matters. But also now overused a character is matters too. For Blizzard (and others) they balance not by how OP something is (apart from rare exceptions). They balance by how often something is used. If one character or card is used by almost everyone, it's considered to be required for play, and thus nerfed so it's less used. They want the character/card to be a choice and not felt as you have to use it always. Same deal for under used cards getting buffs. Buffs to people do not always ignore the character/cards.
I think Nintendo is doing this with certan characters/match ups with it's online coompetition with two characters up against each other. I forget the name of it, but you all know what I mean. I think Nintendo want to know who is being over used in SSB4. Sure Nintendoo have this information wuthout our help but putting this mode in might get some characters more used than they otherwise would be. Is Character A or character B used more? Make a competition about it in SSB4 and then you'll have a larger sample size to work with.

I think SSB4 character/item balance patches (if any come at all) will be based on how often a character/move is being used and not how powerful or weak it is on it's own.

Smash 4 Ness makes me feel vulnerable
He does not have his body guard (Lucas) for protection.

Last edited:

Tyril132

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tyril132
3DS FC
4957-3662-2945
You also make some good points.
What you say about the roster size is perfectly true. People asked Blizzard, why only 3 races in Starcraft, why not 4 or 5 (like the hybrid or Xel'Naga)? Blizzard's answer is, it would be much to large a cast (understanding each race is many many units/buildings) and would not be possible to balance properly without massive delays to the game. This is easily compared to Smash Bros. SSB4's roster is the hardest to balance simply because of it's size. You have exponentially more character combinations and move combinations to text and balance for. If SSB4 WiiU is at least relatively balanced I'll be very happy. I say WiiU as it's balance because of the controls, larger screen etc etc will be different. I understand all the work that had to go into balancing such a huge roster and it's not easy.

Also the zero sum (or character budgets as they are otherwise known) play a factor too. You described it well. It can be extreme like Little Mac, borderline OP in one area and total garbage in another area to compensate or you can be less extreme and have smaller buffs and nerfs to a character to balance it. The bad part of characters like Little Mac is if the meta shifts to what they are good at, they will not see much play at what they are not good at. . . and I think we all get what I am saying there. People will notice this and that's all you'll see online.

Also at a low level you talk about a numbers game. It's about numbers at this level but not exactly as you say. How good is too good matters. But also now overused a character is matters too. For Blizzard (and others) they balance not by how OP something is (apart from rare exceptions). They balance by how often something is used. If one character or card is used by almost everyone, it's considered to be required for play, and thus nerfed so it's less used. They want the character/card to be a choice and not felt as you have to use it always. Same deal for under used cards getting buffs. Buffs to people do not always ignore the character/cards.
I think Nintendo is doing this with certan characters/match ups with it's online coompetition with two characters up against each other. I forget the name of it, but you all know what I mean. I think Nintendo want to know who is being over used in SSB4. Sure Nintendoo have this information wuthout our help but putting this mode in might get some characters more used than they otherwise would be. Is Character A or character B used more? Make a competition about it in SSB4 and then you'll have a larger sample size to work with.

I think SSB4 character/item balance patches (if any come at all) will be based on how often a character/move is being used and not how powerful or weak it is on it's own.

He does not have his body guard (Lucas) for protection.

Well, as you say, the Blizzard philosophy isn't a question of something being ideal, but rather a question of being ideal to the exclusion of other options. Of course, then you get into the question of balancing around popularity or frequency of play vs. balancing around a target skill group or meta game. Some characters will be popular simply because their basic design is appealing to a large group of players, and this can happen for many different reasons, many of which may not affect balance at all. This is especially noteworthy given that this is a "Mascot Fighter" game; the franchise is built around exploiting the popularity of its characters.

It's an incredibly complex topic that would take hours to properly cover (and I do love having an open dialogue about design principles), but I think it really boils down to whether or not Nintendo has plans to use this data in future balance changes. And for that, I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
My perspective on tiers echoes that of a friend of my brother's, who recently said to him: "Tiers don't determine which characters are the best, they determine which characters are the safest."

I don't care for Mewtwo. I am totally and utterly ambivalent towards him. That being said, I am ecstatic to see him returning - both for the fans' reactions and for what it represents - and will defend him as I would defend any and all characters. My mantra, essentially, is, "Just because I don't like a character doesn't mean they aren't worthwhile or don't have fans."

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
It took me 6 years to find a true Brawl Main since I loved Roy so much in Melee. I used him almost exclusively and was devastated when he was cut. It was 6 years later, in 2014, when I settled on Ike as my one true main.

Even though I wanted Chrom, I adore Lucina in Smash 4 because her Cordelia alt looks a bit like Roy, and she plays closely enough to him that playing her feels like a return to home. It pains me that she is considered to be objectively worse than Marth in the competitive scene, and finding that out is making me feel bad playing her. Right now Im liking her, Mac, Bowser, and Mii Brawler.

I rarely grabbed until I made X the grab button in Smash 3DS. Ironically, Smash 3DS is also the only game in the series where I jump with the Y button as opposed to up, though only in Smash Run.

I desperately wanted to like Robin as a character, but I cant stand playing as him.

I like Brawl so much more than Melee, though there are elements I like more in Melee, namely Roy and the aesthetic of Battlefield. I love Balanced Brawl, and I tried to include in my files of it a Roy file to replace Marth but never figured it out. Though I did figure out how to replace stage layouts. I replaced Temple with Smash 64 Hyrule Castle, and Rumble Falls and Mario Bros with stage layouts from SSE. Thanks BB!

I like giving each character their own Home Stage (Rainbow Cruise for Peach, Bridge of Eldin for Link, Hanenbow for Jiggs, etc) and was pissed off when Sakurai had ROB be fought in Mario Bros instead of Pictochat in All Star Mode.

I despise Lucario and really wanted him to be phased out in favor of a more deserving mon. Im also not a fan of Charizard at all. I would have much rather had Blaziken and Serperior instead. On the same token, Im not a fan of Jigglypuff.

I really wanted Playable Ridley and was very, very sad when he was confirmed as a stage boss.

I always hated the Ice Climbers and am so glad they're gone in Smash 4.

And finally, while Mewtwo makes me hype, I'm worried Sakurai and co will **** him up like they did in Melee

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Brawl was better than Melee. In fact, while Melee isn't a bad game, it definitely is my least favorite in the series.

I don't care about Mewtwo, but it coming back doesn't bother me because at least its moveset is more or less unique in the series. I do think some of its fans are quite obnoxious though, namely the ones who think everyone is hyped for Mewtwo's comeback.

I think bringing back cut veterans (Ice Climbers aside) would be kind of pointless, because they would again be the next in line to be cut in the next Smash. I speak of Wolf, Lucas and Roy. If they are brought back to Smash 4, I assume they would be the first picks to be cut (with Lucina, Dark Pit and maybe Dr. Mario as well). That said, while I would vastly prefer newcomers as DLC over veterans, I can sympathize with the fans of the cut characters, having one of your favorites cut sucks a lot (Young Link for me, as well as some MvsC2 characters that were cut in MvsC3). Lastly, I think when the next Smash is announced, people should be prepared for either lots of cuts or a very low number of newcomers. There is no way Smash roster will reach 70~ characters.
leading me to absolutely loath Duck Hunt Dog
The name is Duck Hunt ;) There is no character called Duck Hunt Dog in Smash Bros.

Raven the Obsidian

Smash Cadet
NNID
RavenTheObsidian
3DS FC
3866-8144-2758
-I have never played Smash 64.
-I like Melee more than Brawl, but not for competitive reasons; I just find it more fun to play even on a casual level.
-As a result of the above, I was almost completely inactive in Smash during the Brawl era. I had a lot of rust to shake off once Smash 4 arrived.
-Robin was my most hyped newcomer and I honestly don't actually like playing as him. I really don't want to accept that, but the truth is that I don't. :(
-Smash 4 is the first Smash game that I'm getting into competitive for.
-Smash Wii U will be the first time I start to use C-sticking.
-Two of my mains specialise in gimping, but I am poor at actually pulling gimps off. I really need to work on that...

Aus0115

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aus0116
I don't really like playing on a competitive level, I'm more in the randomness

I can't stand ice climbers so I'm glad they're gone

I despised Marth since the day I laid eyes on him….I don't know why I just don't like him

In basic brawl I would always choose peach or zelda and always have another player playing as Ike or mario or link (or some other hero) fight for me then the last 30 seconds of the game I would attack just that player ( I know, its terrible)

I really wanted to learn Meta Knight, but never could so I spent more time learning dedede

When brawl was still doing POTD I got way overly too excited to see Peach return

I like sm4sh over melee and brawl

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
- Until last year, I always thought that the language Marth spoke was a completely made up one (didn't know it was Japanese)
- Sometimes when I beat someone one FG who's being an annoying spammer or just a total jerk, I'll spend some time on the results screen so they'll think I'm recording the match to share it with people

Megane-for-Life

Smash Cadet
NNID
megane-for-life
3DS FC
0533-5491-3147
-I really liked brawl and SSE
-I've never c-sticked on purpose.
-I find the 3ds' controls to be very comfortable.
-In my time playing FG I've developed a hatred beyond any other I've ever had against Little Mac, he's just too powerful!
-I don't have a main honestly, I just play whoever is on my mind at the time.
-I really don't like Little Mac, but I don't push my hatred to anyone that plays as him.

Top Bottom