• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Series Confessions

Thor

Smash Champion
  • Brawl Minus is a fun novelty for a few minutes, but the novelty wears off fast and, on its merits as a game, I find it extremely boring. That said, I am pleasantly surprised that some characters' Minus moves made it into SSB4 as custom specials. (Yoshi in particular got two of his; the exploding egg throw and the bouncing egg roll. I really don't think that's a coincidence.) There's such a thing as striking a balance, and there's such a thing as being TOO over-the-top.
Brawl- has a high skill ceiling but a very low skill floor, that is, you can beat many people by abusing one tactic, but that becomes grossly ineffective against better players. And funny enough, a bunch of people on the most used Brawl- forums I know of actually have started complaining that the game isn't over-the-top enough, many of them citing that if vBrawl MK was ported as is, he would not be outclassed by much of the cast, not even his new version of himself (since his new version has some interesting nerfs to make him less toxic but more fun, but that means in the ditto his dthrow, among other moves, is worse in Brawl- than in Brawl).

I didn't do F-tilts or U-tilts at all until very recently. And I still have trouble doing them.
I used to have this problem (hitting the analog stick too hard, since I learned at like 7 years old or something and just wanted to do the strong attacks on the AI). On the plus side, I have no issues doing smash attacks on the 3DS! :bee:

Another confession: I managed to make it on to a local PM PR in the 14th place spot only via notable set losses, losing to the 7th ranked guy 2-1 in my first tournament here (in R1 of the tournament) and losing to the top ranked guy 2-1 in my second tournament here (having been seeded 33 and he was #1 with a bye, we hit R2). So apparently my ability to take games off two guys on the PR higher than me [even though I lose] puts me above the 15th place guy on the PR. And I'm not ashamed of this in the slightest.

Ignoth

Smash Cadet
Let me say right off the bat that I know that this is kinda of dumb and petty.

... but it really bothers me when long time Smash players clearly don't know a thing about their Main outside of Smash.
If you've dumped hundreds of hours playing a single character, please have the decency to try one of their games or even just read up on them a little.

I've seen a lot of Marth mains who only see him as some anime guy with a sword. Or ZSS players who only know her as a smexy bounty hunter with a whip. I feel like people are missing out on a lot of Smash's appeal if they only appreciate their favorite character based on in-game mechanics alone.

I mean, you're perfectly free to try out new characters that you know nothing about. But if you've mained the character for over a year and they're still nothing but a cool looking 3d model with a nifty set of moves to you, it seriously irks me.

I'm fine when younger or really casual players do it, but longtime Smash fans really ought to at least read their favorite character's Wikipedia bio or something.

Again, I know it's really petty. I get that we all have different priorities and limited free time. But that's my confession.

Last edited:

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean

... but it really bothers me when long time Smash players clearly don't know a thing about their Main outside of Smash.
If you've dumped hundreds of hours playing a single character, please have the decency to try one of their games or even just read up on them a little.

I've seen a lot of Marth mains who only see him as some anime guy with a sword. Or ZSS players who only know her as a smexy bounty hunter with a whip. I feel like people are missing out on a lot of Smash's appeal if they only appreciate their favorite character based on in-game mechanics alone.

I mean, you're perfectly free to try out new characters that you know nothing about. But if you've mained the character for over a year and they're still nothing but a cool looking 3d model with a nifty set of moves to you, it seriously irks me.

I'm fine when younger or really casual players do it, but longtime Smash fans really ought to at least read their favorite character's Wikipedia bio or something.

Again, I know it's really petty. I get that we all have different priorities and limited free time. But that's my confession.
Well, then you should like me. Link has always been my main (Well, Toon Link in Brawl) and The Legend of Zelda has always been my favorite game series.

Since this is a confessions thread, I'll just say this, too: Zelda 2 is not only my favorite Zelda game, it's also my favorite video game ever.

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334

Oh yeah, I'm definitely feeling you here. My top 3 mains are all characters I really enjoy in their home series. I don't use Mewtwo much outside of my ubers team, but I like his backstory and Anime portrayal. Samus has an interesting backstory to me and I'm already working on re-obtaining the Prime games. Lastly I'm one of the few Falco users that actually likes him and his series. I played every SF other than Command.

Srsly, all you Fox mains out there should play through one of his games!

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157

I was like that for :4marth:. Definitely not for :4lucina: or :4robinm: though.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Fox is my favorite character and nothing makes me happier than using the Landmaster on everybody especially if I get the Smash Ball twice in ONE MATCH! HAHA! Sorry not sorry....

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Now that I've actually been playing, here's some confessions of mine;

• I hate Fox's new voice. I dropped him as a main because I cannot get used to his voice.
  • I almost wish For Glory didn't record losses. I mean, yeah, it's helpful to have a record, but as someone who's still learning, it's a little disheartening to get a permanent scar every time I make a mistake.
  • I laugh at all the :4littlemac: players on For Glory. Every time I see one, I can't help but sarcastically think, "ooh, we got a badass up in here!"
  • I find few things more humiliating than losing to a character I hate. Especially :4lucina:, who I can't see as anything but a :4marth: handicap. I can't help but feel like people who pick her are just toying with me.
  • I like playing Smash Run by myself, but I wish the opponents collected more stat boosts.
  • I don't like that FG is two-stock. It embarrasses me when I have to start camping because I'm at 100% after already losing one stock.
  • I abuse dash attacks way too much and hardly ever shield. I'm trying to get out of those bad habits.
  • I hate that this game has three scrolling Mario stages. Even one is too many, especially with how shortchanged we got in the total number of stages.
  • I yell at Multi-Man opponents who trap me in their extra-slow :4miibrawl: jabs and :4miigun: Fsmashes, especially when I'm trying to do something under a time limit.

Yeah, I understand this. Having this sentiment myself is why I started a slot on my brother's copy of Xenoblade, a game I previously had no interest in, so I could experiment with :4shulk: and know what his deal is. It's also why I wish :4duckhunt: would hurry up and get a Virtual Console release.

Last edited:

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman
-I must be the only one who thinks that Marth hasn't been nerfed.
-I get annoyed at Little Mac players in FG mode.

LoveGame

NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
Now that I've actually been playing, here's some confessions of mine;

• I laugh at all the :4littlemac: players on For Glory. Every time I see one, I can't help but sarcastically think, "ooh, we got a badass up in here!"
How so? I haven't faced many people using him, so maybe there's something I'm missing. Do people think they're pro for picking him?

[*]I find few things more humiliating than losing to a character I hate. Especially :4lucina:, who I can't see as anything but a :4marth: handicap. I can't help but feel like people who pick her are just toying with me.
After playing both, I just happen to prefer Lucina more. Maybe it's 'cause I always pick Roy over Marth in Melee and PM. I don't pick her to disrespect people; she's actually one of my top 3 mains.

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman
-Oooh 'eck...how to say this without getting flamed...

This may be biased, as Marth is my all time favourite...but...recently...I feel that he is getting overshadowed by Lucina.
That is not to say that I don't like Lucina. I love her. She's my daughter in Awakening, and one of my mains...but...I've seen a lot of people flocking to Lucina and saying that she's better than Marth, which I completely understand if you don't like the tipper aspect of Marth, but...just don't leave him in the dust, okay? ...It hurts.

-I thought I was amazing at Smash, until today when I decided that I was... "I'm gonna try For Glory mode. I will be Queen of FG Mode!". Needless to say, turns out I wasn't that great when I got my behind handed to me by a Marth, and Shulk, a Yoshi and an Ike. I withdrew out of sheer embarrassment.

Waverunner

Smash Cadet

I think most people who are against Ridley being in Smash would change their mind about if they actually knew what he was about. He's not some mindless generic dragon boss, he's an evil space pirate who keeps refusing to die no matter how many times Samus kills him.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
...I've had the game since it released in the US and I've yet to play the entire cast. Hardly even touched the newcomers.

So far, it's mainly been Peach, Wii Fit Trainer, Zero Suit Samus, and Jigglypuff for me. I've also enjoyed playing Villager and even Captain Falcon for a short bit. After that, I've only played Palutena, Luigi, Ness, Kirby, and Pacman for the sake of unlocking stuff.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

I ACTUALLY LIKED THE SUBSPACE EMISSARY!!

Last edited by a moderator:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I think most people who are against Ridley being in Smash would change their mind about if they actually knew what he was about. He's not some mindless generic dragon boss, he's an evil space pirate who keeps refusing to die no matter how many times Samus kills him.
I play Metroid on a regular basis and see him as a generic dragon boss with a comically high-pitched voice who refuses to die.

LoveGame

NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
...Gesundheit?
I was asking if you were referencing Retsupurae or Diabetus with the "comically high-pitched voice" thing. Whenever him and Slowbeef reference Ridley or see something similar to him in their videos, Diabetus always dubs him over with a funny high voice and says outlandish things.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I was asking if you were referencing Retsupurae or Diabetus with the "comically high-pitched voice" thing. Whenever him and Slowbeef reference Ridley or see something similar to him in their videos, Diabetus always dubs him over with a funny high voice and says outlandish things.
Naw, I was talking about his actual high-pitched voice from the 2D games. God, he sounds like a dieing cat.

Sounds like something I need to see, lol.

Violenceman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ash316
Confession Time.

I like Target Blast. Like, a lot. More than I feel I probably should.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
For those who aren't much fans of Metroid, they probably see him that way anyways. Part of me wishes Ridley could talk. It'd probably make him a more interesting villain (again to those who aren't Metroid fans).

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
I'm sad that no one taunts in tournaments but I figure that's a sign of respect.
It's probably because taunting leaves you stationary for awhile, which isn't a good thing.

Metroid is possibly my very favorite Nintendo series! I haven't played a Metal Gear game though... I would play Mother 3 but Nintendo still hasn't put in on VC.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
- I like Brawl better than Smash 4.
The lack of Special Brawl and other amenities is devastating for me.
Plus, there are still challenges to beat all the modes with all the characters, which is the single thing I wanted gone.

For those who aren't much fans of Metroid, they probably see him that way anyways. Part of me wishes Ridley could talk. It'd probably make him a more interesting villain (again to those who aren't Metroid fans).
"FANCY MEETING YOU HERE, CHOZO GIRL."

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Plus, there are still challenges to beat all the modes with all the characters, which is the single thing I wanted gone.

Wait, what? There's no Special Mode?! Welp, that implies the Wii U will probably have those and the 3DS gets StreetSmash and Smash Run as "exclusives".

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII

Yes! British Ridley needs to happen! :awesome:

Dan Where Is The Food

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1607-4096-1756
Even in casual play I think items are gay and **** (except for simple ones like the beam sword or super scope)

Before I knew metroid I thought Samus was a guy and from the N64 game: body harvest.

I would leave melee on all night with 4 controllers in to unlock mewtwo

In Brawl I think it's too easy to unlock all the characters

Soon after melee came out I got stroppy and nostalgic for 64 so I made my mum go to the video store to rent it out. No one would understand why I wouldn't just play melee.

Also how have people not unlocked ness in 64?

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Hire Slowbeef and Diabeetus of Restupurae. They make the best Ridley impression! :bee:

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
I prefer to use a Wii Remote and Nunchuk over a GameCube controller.

Though I don't hate or even just dislike using a GameCube controller if I do. Using a Wii Remote and Nunchuk just feels better to me.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
While I really want Smash 3DS, I'm kinda afraid to buy it at the same time because I'm afraid my control stick will break.

Then again I did play Kid Icarus: Uprising for a week without any problems (save for hand cramping) so...

D

Deleted member 269706

While I really want Smash 3DS, I'm kinda afraid to buy it at the same time because I'm afraid my control stick will break.

Then again I did play Kid Icarus: Uprising for a week without any problems (save for hand cramping) so...
Unless you have serious anger issues or don't have a small amount of self control, you have nothing to worry about. I've been playing the game like crazy, so has my 7 year old brother on the same 3DS, and there's not a single sign that the control pad is having any problems. If you are subconsciously worried, your body will adjust and be more gentle. While there is always the possibility of it breaking off, the chances are extremely slim. Don't let that small worry be the reason you miss out.

Meta_Ridley

Smash Journeyman
I didn't know that tilts even existed until Brawl, until I accidentally used Dedede's f-tilt on Skyworld. I thought, "That's not his f-smash OR his basic A attack...). It took me another 30 seconds before I understood how to do it.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
-I never had the manual to Super Metroid as a kid, so I was suprised to learn Samus wasn't called Metroid in Smash 64.

-I thought Ness was a living doll when I first saw him in Smash 64.

-Marth's Japanese voice I thought was a glitch in the game.

-Sonic's announcement in Brawl produced the most hype I've ever had for any game.

-I knew and regularly used Z-canceling in Smash 64, then forgot all about it untill Project M reminded me it was a thing.

-My friends used debug mode to "co-op" Adventure mode in Melee. I loved Subspace Emissary for the sole reason it let you do so.

-When I played with friends, it's always 3 vs 1, because I played Melee so much in comparison it wouldn't be fair otherwise. In FFA's, 2nd place would always be the winner.

-Despite all my moaning about Sm4sh, all I ever asked for was a better online and the game being faster than Brawl, and they delivered(mostly!) on those parts.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
SSE wasn't that bad.
I get way too worked up over losing to a character I hate. And there's a lot of them.
The nine million people who use Marth without having any clue who he is drive me insane.
I'd much rather have a character I want playable not in the game at all rather than a cameo/assist trophy/whatever.

Shaymin slicker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowshaymin
3DS FC
1547-5202-1903
I could never get used to the speed of Project M. I've always preferred the slowness for some reason.

Kero the Invincible

Smash Apprentice
- I'm.....not good at smash. There, I said it.

- I thought Subspace Emissary was awesome.

- I'm secretly wishing that Pichu gets in, but NOT Mewtwo or Roy, simply so I can laugh my head off.

energonkid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Energon_kid
Switch FC
SW-5446-8459-8780
Okay confession time. I don't use grabs or throws. I've never played Melee. I bought Fire Emblem Awakening to find out who Robin was. I only played Smash 64 on an emulator on my Mac. I use Wii controller and Nunchuck and don't own a GameCube controller. ;(

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
-the only smash game I don't have is the 3ds version (ill get the wii u version and I have project m)
-I actually liked donkey kong in melee
-I almost cryed after seeing only 2 star fox reps
-I always thought shadow was unlockable in brawl
-even though I didnt play much of 64 I still can beast in it
-Robin is likely gonna be my main.

Anyways that's my confessions and I'm trying to get a 3 ds but sadly I got the original ds and gameboy (color or advanced)

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Confession time everyfolks~

- I only knew about Mario, Kirby, Donkey Kong and Pokémon when I played Melee, which was my introduction to the Smash series

- I only used specials when I was little because I thought smashes were silly and useless

- I thought Ness was a child version of Mario or the mascot of the NES when I played Melee

- I don't remember how and when I figured out that Samus is a girl. I do recall it not being much of a surprise to me, though

- I used to actively resent competitive play and tier lists. I still don't care for them, personally, but I've cooled down a lot since then

- I used to think characters like Shulk and Duck Hunt were silly ideas and didn't think they were likely to show up. When I saw them in the game, I very quickly warmed up to them

- Up to about a month ago, I was pretty cold towards Ridley and didn't think he deserved to be in the game. I inadvertently joined the Ridley thread, though, and found myself becoming a profoundly enthusiastic supporter very, very quickly

- Palutena was the only character I really wanted in the game and I lost my reasoning when she got her big reveal

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
In Melee, I thought Marth and Roy were from a Zelda game I hadn't played because you fight them in Temple in Classic Mode.

When playing as Samus in the same game, I refused to use anything other than Specials because she doesn't use melee attacks in the Metroid games.

Last edited:

Oddpepsi

Smash Rookie
I like the Wii Controller more then the Gamecube Controller for Smash. :(

Last edited:
Top Bottom