• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Series Confessions

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
I pity competitive players.

I never grab. The weird Z button placement on the GC controller discouraged me from using it.

In multiplayer, I only play on random.

Not a big fan of Sakurai.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I have another confession I wish to say; this time regarding Brawl:
I initially thought that Samus was getting cut in favour of Zero Suit Samus.

KRBAY

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SSBBSonic
3DS FC
0774-4477-0228
...classic controller over GameCube controller for brawl.

Ignoth

Smash Cadet
I felt a legitimate pang of sadness when watching :4bowser: fight :4bowserjr:.

They have such an adorable father-son relationship in their own games. Watching them fight just... feels wrong. It doesn't help that characters once again cry out in pain after connecting with a strong hit.

I feel like I'll be apologizing profusely when I'm unlocking Bowser Jr.. I believe you HAVE to use Bowser to do so right?

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157

They have such an adorable father-son relationship in their own games. Watching them fight just... feels wrong.
That how I feel about :4lucina: Fighting :4robinm:. Then I remember chapter 21.
Then I become really sad.

Last edited:

AbioFlesh

Smash Lord
-The Smash community (mostly anywhere outside of Smashboards, probably due to the more lenient moderation out there) has to be the most inhospitable fanbase I have ever seen second to Beliebers. It's like people forgot games were supposed to be fun. Especially a Nintendo game.
-I played the coin launcher game more then the actual game in Brawl. I would only play solo to get more coins.
-I liked playing with the Wiimote and nunchuck more than anything else
-When I first came across the idea of a Nintendo crossover (I saw Melee on a store shelf), I was really disappointed that it was a fighting game instead of some sort of adventure game.

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
AbioFlesh said:
The Smash community (mostly anywhere outside of Smashboards, probably due to the more lenient moderation out there) has to be the most inhospitable fanbase I have ever seen second to Beliebers. It's like people forgot games were supposed to be fun. Especially a Nintendo game.
Funny thing is, a lot of people online ARE super mean, but I've gone to a few tournaments and met only a few jerks. It's almost like people hate others online but like them in person...

- I don't c-stick aerials then tell people PPMD doesn't either as my reason for not trying to change (in a post on his profile it said he didn't as of like April 2, 2014 or something) [I also have so much other stuff to work on...].

- I prefer Brawl- to PM. And all the regular Smash games to PM too, because they're real Smash games, not... well, I won't state my opinions on how I think of them because that'd just piss people off.

- But I'll still play PM anyway because I'd rather play a game like Smash than not at all.

TTYK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EJ_Locke
Funny thing is, a lot of people online ARE super mean, but I've gone to a few tournaments and met only a few jerks. It's almost like people hate others online but like them in person...

- I don't c-stick aerials then tell people PPMD doesn't either as my reason for not trying to change (in a post on his profile it said he didn't as of like April 2, 2014 or something) [I also have so much other stuff to work on...].

- I prefer Brawl- to PM. And all the regular Smash games to PM too, because they're real Smash games, not... well, I won't state my opinions on how I think of them because that'd just piss people off.

- But I'll still play PM anyway because I'd rather play a game like Smash than not at all.
I feel ya bro, btw, nice avatar.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII

They have such an adorable father-son relationship in their own games. Watching them fight just... feels wrong. It doesn't help that characters once again cry out in pain after connecting with a strong hit.

I feel like I'll be apologizing profusely when I'm unlocking Bowser Jr.. I believe you HAVE to use Bowser to do so right?
I like to imagine that they're fighting for fun. I mean, they're frigging video game characters. They can take a punch. And on down time between matches, they all hang around and have fun.
Eh, that's how I see it at least.
I even have Project M modified so that the Results Screen is a break room with a couch and tv to just chill.

Last edited:

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
  • I didn't unlock Luigi and Ness in Smash 64 until early 2007.
  • I used to use Luigi a lot in Smash 64 and Melee.
  • I haven't unlocked every trophy in Brawl yet, nor have I managed to finish any of the 1P modes with each character.
  • I'm afraid of fighting Ike, Ganondorf, Snake, and Lucas in Brawl. I get really nervous because of how easy it is for them to KO you and oftentimes lose by making bad reads or failing to properly take advantage of ending/starting lag on one of their kill moves.

mrrwalden

Smash Rookie
  • Played the legacy games in reverse order; I played Brawl first, then Melee, and 64 last.
  • Though Gamecube and Classic are definitely my favorite control options, the "shortcuts" offered with them (Z-grabbing and C-smashing) never really clicked with me. (Related, I like using the Tap Jump feature - it just gets a little too easy for me to lose control of myself in the air if I don't have it on.)
  • Something about the general vibe of Brawl rubbed me the wrong way after playing the other 2 legacy games; I just feel like it tried too hard to be "serious" with the lighting and the character designs and such. (Snake has nothing to do with this, by the way.) It just comes off as a bit more generic and less charming than 64, Melee, and Smash 4. Didn't bug me enough to keep me from playing and enjoying it, but aesthetically it just felt like something was lost in translation.
    • Also didn't care too much for Brawl's main theme for similar reasons.
    • ALSO didn't care too much for Subspace Emissary for similar reasons.
  • Ice Climbers are (is?) really the only cut veteran(s?) I'm sad about getting left behind in Smash 4, even though I actually do empathize with why that choice was made.
  • Really glad character unlock requirements were toned down for Smash 4 b/c doing that in every game prior was just a little tedious IMO (I'm more lenient w/stages)
  • Don't mind the clones in Smash 4 and don't think they were "wasted slots" (like, if they were just alternates, they'd need to spend extra time developing them anyway I imagine, so?????) but I agree w/the majority in that giving them separate slots is kinda mind-boggling considering Robin, Villager, etc. (might have to do with how the trophies are for this game though? I dunno.)
  • Glad Zelda/Sheik and Samus/ZSS were split
  • I will deeply miss the Negative Zone
  • Miis are super rad
  • Wii Fit Trainer is super rad
  • Custom specials are SUPER super rad
  • I'm so happy the four ghosts in Pac-Man have individual trophies w/accurate descriptions eeeeeee
Guess that's all I got for now!

Last edited:

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
*I have never played a Smash game in my life. I just pretend like I have because I picked a random forum to infiltrate out of boredom, or perhaps to just fit in somewhere.

*I believe the roster should only have Pokemon, and it should still be called 'Super Smash Brothers'. I don't even care about the clearly valid objections to that either.

*I lost a drunken bet to a friend once playing Brawl. I told him he could make any match, choose any character, pick my character for me, pick the stage, etc, and bet that I could still kick his a**. I very nearly won, despite the fact that I get exponentially worse at Smash Bros the more drunk I am (I get exponentially better at Mario Kart the drunker I am, oddly enough). He picked Lucas, his main, and gave me DK, my worst character, on Corneria.

*I only use the CG controller, but I hold it backwards. It's just more comfortable.

*I only use dash attacks when I fight. It's surprisingly effective.

*My mother has won several regional Melee tournaments. I, of course, have not. :(

*Pichu was the best thing that ever happened to smash.

*I always have Melee set to Japanese, even though I don't understand an ounce of Japanese. As a competitive player, I try to distance myself from filthy casuals as much as possible, so I figure even the menu should be a challenge.

*In Brawl, I issue the challenge to myself of playing without breaking any glass on the 'challenges' screen. When you think about it, it's actually harder to do than breaking them all. I now spend most all of my time in Brawl trying to get the smallest possible distance in HRC with each of what few characters I can even use, for stimulation. I only have like, 45 minutes of power-on time before I can't play anymore :I

*I personally know a guy who works for Sora, he's a Script Marketing Developer, or a 'Smid' as it's known in the business, and he leaked some confidential info about Smash 5 to me, if you guys are interested. Roster was finalized just last week, and here is a hint about who made the cut: Rhymes with 'Squidly', has wings, was highly supported by fans. Ring any bells? Eh? Eeeeeh? Give up? Ok, it's Kazooie, from Banjo and Kazooie. Strangely, only Kazooie though, no Banjo.

*I've never once actually landed a falcon punch. Is that weird?

*Marth speaks English in my copy of Melee and everyone else speaks Japanese. Is that weird??

*The following statement is false.

*Only one of the above statements is true.

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice
I hate Brawl.

I really hate Brawl.

Like, everything having anything to do with Brawl.

I come here for smash4 news which I enjoy, but sometimes I cringe.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion ya'know.

SonicMario

Smash Master
For years, I have treated October 10th as a personal holiday.

Cause it was the very day that Sonic was announced for Brawl back in 2007. I still kinda celebrate it because everytime it is October 10th I play as Sonic for a long while in Smash and/or play a Sonic game on that day.

And I'll probably do it again with Smash 4 on the 3DS this time, since of course I will have it 6-7 days before the 7th anniversary of Sonic's reveal for Brawl ^^

Mataata

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mataata
3DS FC
2964-8599-6875
I don't miss the Ice Climbers at all and am glad those two punks are gone. They were probably the most obscure characters in Melee/Brawl (save for Roy), and having them in the game felt like an embarrassment.

I think that Project M is an abomination and probably one of the worst, most game-breaking mods ever. I also vastly prefer Brawl to Melee in every single aspect of the game. The art, the gameplay, everything. Melee just feels cheap and rushed, while Brawl is very much a labor of love.

I also wish Raichu was a character.

Last edited:

IblisTriggersPuppet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Oshawottfan33
3DS FC
4356-0745-3351
After accidentally thinking a thread in the 64 section was one for the series in general, I felt this was needed.

Some basic ground rules:
  • This is not an Unpopular Opinions thread. Try not to say things that will cause people to get upset. This includes, among other things, suggesting a game is objectively superior to another (though you can state a preference), disappointment/complaining over characters that are/aren't/might be revealed, et cetera.
  • Use your common sense.
Well when I was like 8 years old playing melee I always played at level 1
but now i play mostly 5-9 level

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
  • Brawl Minus is a fun novelty for a few minutes, but the novelty wears off fast and, on its merits as a game, I find it extremely boring. That said, I am pleasantly surprised that some characters' Minus moves made it into SSB4 as custom specials. (Yoshi in particular got two of his; the exploding egg throw and the bouncing egg roll. I really don't think that's a coincidence.) There's such a thing as striking a balance, and there's such a thing as being TOO over-the-top.
  • Though I very much love Project M, I do find the stages disappointingly lifeless. Of course I don't miss the hazards, but aesthetically, they just feel like ghosts of themselves. Like I said, you've gotta find a balance. There's being fair, and there's being sterile. The lack of care given to the Page 2 stages, like Princess Peach's Castle, Saffron City, and Hyrule Castle, all of which would be banned in tournaments anyway, is especially off-putting to me.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
I love Project M more for the easy modding capabilities (Alt. Costumes, new Stages [I even had an expansion pack that extends my stage list to over 70], different music, different voice soundpacks, etc) without hacking my Wii U more then the gameplay changes.

firewingpegasus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NanaSuki
3DS FC
0731-4761-5838
  • I don't think I could name (or describe) all final smashes in brawl, due to how few times I've seen them.
  • I don't consider PM a real game and have never tried to get good at it.
  • I secretly felt glad Ice Climbers were cut because at least now there won't be any disagreement over banning or allowing wobbling in a tournament. If wobbling was confirmed not to work, I'd love to have them back.
  • During the time that Brawl was still a thing for tournaments, I almost rage quit the game after I started seeing that finals, semis, and quarters were basically metaknight vs. metaknight.

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
I've been a Mewtwo main since I unlocked him in 2001. I thought he was OP as a kid until I realized how hard he was to use effectively. I still main him vehemently after all these years.

For many years I never knew there was a second menu theme in Melee.

I used to be really cynical towards the competitive scene and was generally against tiers.

I can't play Fox (Melee) or Meta Knight (Brawl) for ****. I'm honestly better as Mewtwo or Wolf respectively.

After plugging Smash 64 in for the first time in years, I realize I forgot how to do most of the Target Tests.

I lose in Classic a lot because explosives fall on me in the middle of attacks

Zol

Smash Apprentice
that's what happens when you virtually group up a bunch of manchildren, all shielded behind the safety of a keyboard and gamecube controller

most of them wouldn't talk the same **** they would in real life. how are you gonna take someone seriously in a real life altercation when the first thing they do is threaten to beat you up....in smash brothers

DoctorDub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrDubious
At the beginning, I started to play ZSS when brawl came out because I found her to be quite attractive. (And being the Metroid fan-boy I am, the whole idea was awesome, anyway)

I've since discovered that she's actually really good and suits my play style, though.
I'm not a pervert, anymore.
I swear.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
At the beginning, I started to play ZSS when brawl came out because I found her to be quite attractive. (And being the Metroid fan-boy I am, the whole idea was awesome, anyway)

I've since discovered that she's actually really good and suits my play style, though.
I'm not a pervert, anymore.
I swear.
Your avatar begs to differ. :p

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
  • I hope that a more accurate tier list surfaces soon, because the preliminary ones we're getting right now are painting a pretty grim picture. There's still apparently six distinct tiers, and C/D are both pretty big...
  • My hope is that every character will be more or less equally viable eventually, a la USFIV.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
  • I hope that a more accurate tier list surfaces soon, because the preliminary ones we're getting right now are painting a pretty grim picture. There's still apparently six distinct tiers, and C/D are both pretty big...
  • My hope is that every character will be more or less equally viable eventually, a la USFIV.
Where are they?

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Where are they?
Various places, but there are a few constants;

• DHD is, though not #1, undisputed SS-tier. Which means I'm definitely dropping him from my mains list.
  • ZSS and Bowser are high up, but not always at the top.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Various places, but there are a few constants;

• DHD is, though not #1, undisputed SS-tier. Which means I'm definitely dropping him from my mains list.
  • ZSS and Bowser are high up, but not always at the top.
DHD is SS? Reminds me of what people thought of ROB early on. Well, we'll just have to see how things turn out.

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
I thought I was pro at smash for the longest time until I met people from the competitive community about a year ago.

Now im going to strive to get in the competitive community with this new game. :4robinm:

Last edited:

Coq1

Smash Rookie
-I hate the fact that there are tier lists ( not just for smash btw, I just hate it when things are unbalanced, which unfortunately is always )
-This makes me not like watching Melee tournaments because there's like 5 differents characters used
-I was way more hyped for Rosalina and Villager than Megaman and Pacman
-Although I like using ZSS in Brawl and PM, I won't use her in Sm4sh because of her design ( yes those damn heels )
-It's been so long since I last played Smash64 that I don't really remember how I felt about the game and what I liked doing in it. I just remember playing it with my friends and having fun...
-I still have no idea who Shulk is and don't plan on using him a lot
-I find Ness in Project M to be a little bit too good
-I would love if each town had a dedicated place where there would be couches and smash games and people could come and play together :)

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I personally think that anyone who complains about people complaining about :4zss:'s heels can't accept the fact that other people have opinions and should be free to express them.

Coq1

Smash Rookie
Hey it's my loss if I don't like them, I have nothing against people who think they look cool and all !

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
The physics in smash 4 are pleasing. As a melee fan, I think they're satisfying.

I think we all need to move on from melee at a certain point and I think smash 4 is the most logical place to go. Easy transition

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Hey it's my loss if I don't like them, I have nothing against people who think they look cool and all !
I'm just getting sick of people who say they ruin Samus's feminist ways or whatever.

Top Bottom