• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash (r)Evolution: A Sydney Tournament

Kulla

Smash Journeyman
Smash (r)Evolution:

ev-o-lu-tion:
–noun
1. any process of formation or growth; development: the evolution of a language; the evolution of the airplane.

rev-o-lu-tion:
–noun
1. an overthrow or repudiation and the thorough replacement of an established government or political system by the people governed.

Evolution and Revolution, both words connotate change, be it for better or for worse. Brawl, in a way, encompasses both of these terms; it brings drastic change to not only gameplay but also to the community on a whole. The gameplay has…evolved in a dramatic way; completely altering how we think of and play Smash Brothers; due to the lower levels of technical skill required, it is now much easier to be good at this game, mind games as such have changed, the pace is slower and there are now many more characters to choose from. These evolved, easier to master mechanics, hated or loved depending on whom you talk to, will bring a new influx of Smashers to the community and as such…leads to a revolution.

Even before Brawl’s release here in Sydney already we have seen an increase in our numbers, I cannot begin to imagine our numbers for future tourneys - surely they shall at least double. However from this influx of new Smashers, all raised on Brawl, comes the revolution, the masses will topple the few, and Brawlers shall reign supreme! We shall see a new rise of Smash to the levels that we have not seen before. Already all around the world, gaming is becoming much more main stream in culture and entertainment, MLG is one good example of this.

Brawl will be huge it will only be a matter of time before we begin to see its effects, I for one anticipate what shall come of it for it shall truly be a (r)evolution of everything we know as Smashers. And that being said Sydney will take its first tentative steps into this new beginning with its first ever Brawl only tourney, hosted by the great people at Revolution CD.

Ok…enough with all the attempts to be deep and meaningful here are the details of whats going down:

WHAT, WHEN and WHERE

Smash Brothers Brawl only Tourney
Sunday, 29th of June
Hosted by Revolution CD, a gaming, music and video store in Bondi Junction. Its right across the road from the Westfield, check out their website for an exact address: http://revolutioncd.com.au/stores/6

PRIZES and COSTS
Entry Fee will be $5 for both singles and doubles, however there will only be prizes for the top three spots in singles.
These will come in the form of coupons for Revolution CD.

SCHEDULE

10am – Setup and registration
11am – Singles Swiss begins
1.30pm – Swiss ends, and there will be an hour break for lunch
2.30pm – Teams Double Elimination begins
5pm – Singles top eight finals Double elimination begins
7pm – Begin packing up

ON THE DAY SCHEDULE
10am – Registration, set up and pre-tourney friendlies. After this there will be NO accepted signups unless you inform someone beforehand. If you arrive late you will not be given any extra matches and will begin however many you are behind the rest in Swiss.
11am - Full Swiss Tournament Begins. All players signed up to Singles will play Swiss.
1:30pm - Swiss concludes - Lunch for 1 Hour - Friendlies ALLOWED DURING THIS PERIOD
2;30pm - Doubles Commence.
5pm - Singles Finals Begin in top 8 or 16 double elimination.
7pm - Should start to wind up around here.

RULES
Most of this is Copy-Pasta from Cao’s Rambo thread, with a few alterations but yeah…I don’t like to type things when I don’t have too…I’m also lazy…

Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Swiss System for Singles, Double Elimination for teams, 4 stocks, and a 7 minute time limit. Advanced slob picks, Blind Picks, 1 Stage Cancel (on Random Select) and 1 Stage Ban applies per set. Singles will finish with a top eight Double Elimination

BASIC STAGES
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Pokemon Stadium 1 (contested)
Lylat Cruise
Smashville

COUNTERPICK STAGES
Luigis Mansion
Great Sea
Norfair
Frigate Orpheon
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Jungle Japes
Battleship Halberd
Rainbow Ride
Brinstar
Pokemon Stadium 2
Distant Planet
Skyworld
Pictochat
Delfino Plaza (D)
Mario Circuit (D)
Onett (D)
Green Greens (D)
Shadow Moses Island (D)
Green Hill Zone (D)
Castle Siege (D)
Bridge of Eldin (D)
Corneria (D)

BANNED
All other stages

(D) signifies the stage is not selectable if someone is using Dedede (due to his chain grab), unless both players agree.

THE SWISS SYSTEM (for those that it confuses...which is many apparently)

- The Swiss system is based on a set of rounds with an accumulative ranking ladder (much like the AFL or NRL ladders). The difference in the Swiss system is that you play unique opponents that share a similar win/loss ratio to yourself.
- The first round will be completely randomized. In every round, you play your opponent in 2 games (stages are randomly elected). The result should be recorded as 2W-0L, 1W-1L, or 0W-2L.
- Singles will be played in as many successive rounds as possible within a time limit (say, 3 hours). The faster the group completes their rounds, the more rounds will be completed.
- The final 8 or 16 players will advance into a standard Double Elimination Final.

**SYDNEY RULESETS TO BE DISCUSSED**
Counter Picking stages should be discussed, I don’t really any of them to actually play tourney matches on…but at the same time, its kinda hard to ban so many stages by myself…so this should become our discussion…in the Sydney thread.

SIGNUP

Please post in this thread or talk to me via my msn: kulla_kure@hotmail.com
Also feel free to contact me if you have any questions

IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT I FORGOT!!!

We will need as many TV's and Wiis with Brawl as we can get...so try as hard as you can...cause unlike at EGG, we will have next to nothing supplied to us...

PARTICIPANTS:

Bjay (Wii?)
Meteor Master (Wii?)
Zaidou
Perpetual Ownage (Wii?)
Defiled
Dedu (Wii?)
S.D
Netch
Fun-Gi
Fork
Jaz (Tv and Wii)
Kulla (2 Tv’s and Wii)
ComboTurtle

Dedu

Smash Lord
Bravo bravo mate!

What's wrong with the always awesome name Vive la Révolution!

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
*signs up*

Names... normally I'd have something, but today is one of those days I can't be bothered thinking. =/

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
yeah consider me out if theres no melee - how else am i going to win anything hahahaha

besides, seeing a sad turtle makes me cwy

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I'll go purely to usurp Kulla from his high flying brawl position.

And BJ is just so much easier to get to than other places.

Oh, but it needs to be on a Saturday.

adiabatic

Smash Rookie
sounds good. would be finished up for exams by then.

Am i the only one who wants this on a sunday?

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
If I can somehow come there at a non-bank busting price it would be cool. It'll be pretty hardcore last minute but I've never even gone to Sydney to smash so maybe I should try make the effort :)

Bjay

Smash Lord
I don't mind Sunday sig, I just prefer Saturday :p Cause then the next day is Sunday woo!

If I can somehow come there at a non-bank busting price it would be cool. It'll be pretty hardcore last minute but I've never even gone to Sydney to smash so maybe I should try make the effort :)
you should!

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
i lol'd kulla will own you :p
LIES. FILTHY HORRIBLE LIES.

I've been training in the mountains of Siberia 18 hours a day to beat him. Unknown to Arthritus, nor known to RSI. Have withstood failing UNI to create many combos. Yada yada Unlimited KULLA MUST DIE.

No, you don't need to know where the 'second half' of that is referrenced from.

Bjay

Smash Lord

I've been training in the mountains of Siberia 18 hours a day to beat him. Unknown to Arthritus, nor known to RSI. Have withstood failing UNI to create many combos. Yada yada Unlimited KULLA MUST DIE.

lol you remind me of an altered version of ellelaby for some reason, but like a Sydney version.

--

On a serious note though, what ruleset, stage set, bracket system and what not are we going to follow?

I'm just assuming it'll be different to SCAB. So yeah, sup?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
no items,
3 lives,
fox only,
Final Destination?

Or 'that' minus fox and only levels exluded are:
Mushroomy Kingdom, Rumble Falls, Pirate Ship(?), PS2, Spear Pillar, Warioware, Distant PLanet, New Pork, 75, Mario Bros. Flat Zone 2, Hanenbow, Green Hill, and like all Melee besides PS1.

I'd say that when it comes to items though, and how the tournament isn't just open to "tourney.guys", (Any 12 year old kid walking by is able to participate, no?) The chances are its going to be all open. Unless Revo really likes us. In that case Items should be on Low?

Bjay

Smash Lord
no items,
3 lives,
fox only,
Final Destination?

Or 'that' minus fox and only levels exluded are:
Mushroomy Kingdom, Rumble Falls, Pirate Ship(?), PS2, Spear Pillar, Warioware, Distant PLanet, New Pork, 75, Mario Bros. Flat Zone 2, Hanenbow, Green Hill, and like all Melee besides PS1.

I'd say that when it comes to items though, and how the tournament isn't just open to "tourney.guys", (Any 12 year old kid walking by is able to participate, no?) The chances are its going to be all open. Unless Revo really likes us. In that case Items should be on Low?
i hope all of that was an attempt at humour cause i was being serious since the tourney isn't too far anyway.

Fun-Gi

Smash Rookie
^_^

I'm in. See you all on the 28th of 29th (no preferance here) :)
I'm also curious about the rules/stages etc.
Also, buy-in? Prizes?
Anyway should be fun :D

Jaz

Smash Ace

I object to the death of kulla

sim... i don't know if i can make this o.O
i'll get back to you

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
i hope all of that was an attempt at humour cause i was being serious since the tourney isn't too far anyway.
Well I'm being reasonbly serious here myself. (Well atleast the latter half)

This tournament may be seen more of a 'Brawl released fun time' thing being hosted by Revo more than a traditional tournament.

Fan boy kids anywhere from 6 years of age could be there on the day wanting to participate... AND BUY THE GAME. Hint: BUY THE GAME.

All I'm saying is that we can't be 'selfish' in all of this. Kids want items, kids want Hanenbow, kids will get it.

Any rules we formulate could easily be thrown out, hell, WE the guys talking in this thread may be even outnumbered by the 'younguns'.

ComboTurtle

Smash Lord
dude fork runs the tourney he isnt gonna allow that **** in his tourney

edit: and furthermore im fair sure you have to sign up here to be entered in the tourney.

Bjay

Smash Lord
[edit] Tom wins [/edit]

Well I'm being reasonbly serious here myself. (Well atleast the latter half)

This tournament may be seen more of a 'Brawl released fun time' thing being hosted by Revo more than a traditional tournament.

Fan boy kids anywhere from 6 years of age could be there on the day wanting to participate... AND BUY THE GAME. Hint: BUY THE GAME.

All I'm saying is that we can't be 'selfish' in all of this. Kids want items, kids want Hanenbow, kids will get it.

Any rules we formulate could easily be thrown out, hell, WE the guys talking in this thread may be even outnumbered by the 'younguns'.
But they won't be there, for too many reasons of course.

Rules are in place for many reasons, I was basically asking in relation to see if there were any minor changes, such as 4 stock instead of 3, and basically the stage list, with things such as the tournament system, like swiss, duration, time schedules, and stuff like that. You know, the necessities ^_^

The location is at a store, and I'm sure there will be advertisements (for the tournament) with the rules and what not as well. If people want to go buy the game, Hint: BUY THE GAME, it's quite an easy process from Line A to B. They can do it at Revo, or they can do it anywhere else that sells Brawl. They'll buy it at Revo whilst glancing at everyone playing Smash, and they can formulate their own idea of what's going on or simply ask, who says they'll buy Brawl and not a music album?

Being realistic (and not pedantic), we're obviously not gonna get 6 year old boys who will be supervised by their mothers entering the tournament. Oh and if 'fanboys' love their Smash Balls with Great Aethers and Super Sonics they can start their own tournament :) Item tournaments have existed, so it doesn't mean it can't be done.

With any game out there, or competition, there are always rules, and rules are enforced for many reasons (but really I'm not going to go off track with this). As long as the rules are justified, I will follow them. Just because there's the option to have a Smash Ball, doesn't mean it has to be followed, there's the option to turn it off.

For that, we aren't being selfish. There will be people out there you can never change their view on, and they will look at the whole 'no items' thing in a negative view, but so be it, everyone has their opinion. Personally, I'm neutral :) That's not saying you can't follow items, but everyone has their own views on things, and in a competitive atmosphere, items are a no-no.

You want a tournament with items, free for alls, a time limit and so on? Go to the Brawl Nintendo Connection Tour, they're more likely to have different rules than what ruleset we will have.

Being outnumbered will mean squat. Let's use Melee as an example. Most of the 'Sydney Smashers' prefer Melee over Brawl, but unfortunately it looks like this tournament is going to Brawl only it seems, whilst the competitors entering with be melee 'dominant'.

Of course, there's nothing that says that this can be a Brawl/Melee tournament, or even a Melee only tournament, nothing's been finalised yet.

--

Ugh half of those stages are ******** (except Spear Pillar <3333333333).

Top Bottom