• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash For Haiti. FEB 27 2010 Champaign, IL

paralasalud

Smash Ace
UPDATE! Smash for Haiti is now teamed with Illinois for Haiti! Check it out! - http://www.illinoisforhaiti.org/events.html

Hey guys I know it's kind of late notice for a tourney but we had a lot of logistics to figure out for this fundraiser-type tourney. Anyway, this is a MELEE tournament but there is a room set aside for people who would like to bring Brawl or 64- to play friendlies in. Your entrance fee is your donation. 100% of it goes to the charities we are donating to.

SMASH FOR HAITI

Smash For Haiti is a tournament benefitting the country of Haiti, whose people suffered a recent tragic and massive earthquake. Smash For Haiti aims to bring those of the [but not limited to] Super Smash Brothers community together to raise money for the victims of the Haitian earthquake. Though rather small and overlooked, the Super Smash Brothers community is a tight-knit one and can surely provide and build strength for those in need. (more information @ smashforhaiti.org)

when
FEBRUARY 27
11AM – 11PM

where
Hendrick House
904 W. Green St.
Urbana, IL 61801

This is going to be on the entire first floor and lobby of Hendrick House, the building my colleague is an RA in. We have 6 stations which is plenty room for set-ups, and we can up this number if we need to.

UPDATE: PARKING IS CONFIRMED in the parking lot D9, just across Hendrick House.

PLEASE BRING [FULL] SET-UPS. It will wave the entire fee (but you can still donate if you want). We need neeed a lot of set ups for the amount of people showing up. A full set-up includes a (playable) TV + Console + Game. And, as you should know, SFH is a BYOC event. We're going to need to, at a certain point, turn away set-ups. But we'll try not to.

entry*
$10 Entrance Fee
$5 Entrance Fee for Students.

*again, this entry fee is your donation. It does NOT go to a pot for winners and goes straight to our charities, however:

prizes
ATM we are waiting on our sponsors for what we can give away as prizes. But there WILL BE PRIZES for sure. I'll make sure to update this when we find out.

Guys, this tourney is going to be pretty huge. It's in Champagne which I'm sure a lot of you are familiar with for SMYM- but we're also getting this broadcast on a local radio station (WPGU 107.1)! GET HYPE. We're doing what we can as a community to outreach to those in Haiti. Let's voice ourselves as a whole and show that we have good hearts.

YOU CAN SIGN UP ONLINE HERE : www.SMASHFORHAITI.org
Please indicate if you are bringing set-ups on the online sign-up. Also, you have the option to pay at the venue or online. Sign-ups online are encouraged but not crucial.

edit: as a side note we do have a phone number just for SFH: 217 364 7024. You can call it or text it if you want I guess, lol.

paralasalud

Smash Ace
TOURNEY RULES

Your success in pools will determine your placement into brackets.

We will practice:
• advanced slob picks.
• Dave's stupid rule.
• you can ban a stage before the set begins.
• no stalling, no wobbling.
• 8 minute matches.

• again, bring your own controller.
• no illegal controllers.

• team attack is on.
• you can borrow your partner's stock(s).

Stages

singles
neutral stages
• final destination
• battlefield
• yoshi's story
• dreamland 64
• FoD
• stadium

counterpick stages
• japes
• kongo jungle
• corneria
• brinstar
• mute city
• rainbow cruise

doubles
neutral stages
• final destination
• battlefield
• yoshi's story
• dreamland 64
• stadium

counterpick stages
• kongo jungle
• corneria
• brinstar
• rainbow cruise

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
I fixed the spelling of the city name in your title.

You should add something to the post about parking.

I think I'll be attending.

paralasalud

Smash Ace
haha thanks for fixing the spelling.

i had something about parking but we're still waiting on approval from the school to get a parking lot near the university. there's still some stuff i have to update this coming week because we're waiting on some approvals.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
Aweh! I can't come or don't live around here. But this is simply an amazing idea!! Good luck and keep it up!!

Edit: Actually, I'm going to do something like this for the people around this area. Good luck again!! Fighting!

Joemama8

Smash Journeyman
Won't be able to come for this, but good for you guys for getting this sort of thing set up.

Always nice to see this community help in the only way they know how:

1 part nerd, 10 parts cartoon violence

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Being able to use the parking lot that's attached to the building would be nice, but if that doesn't happen, D9 across Green St should be public parking on weekends.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
I'd like to point out that if you bring a setup and your entry fee is waived and you don't donate something anyway, you should feel like a crappy person.

Chzn8r

Smash Rookie
Wow, lot of familiar names in this thread (Matt, Deku, AOB, Brickman). I will try to drum up interest for this among my group of friends, they used to come to a lot of the Melee tournaments.

slomo431

Smash Ace
i would've come down for this on almost any other weekend. i used to live at hh. they tow randoms out of their proprietary parking lot pretty quick, but if I remember correctly, there is a pretty big lot at gregory st and springfield i used to use all the time when visiting people at henrik house

Edit: D9 probably will work too

paralasalud

Smash Ace
hmm seems kinda cool...i wonder if this would look good for transcripts to college? XD
yeah this is definitely going on my resume... especially since i designed logo/posters/flyers/letterhead for it so far. :bee:

ALSO there is confirmed parking in D9, which is right across Hendrick House.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
UIUC represent! Whoever decided to put a flier in Everitt Lab, that was a brilliant move. I absolutely need to practice now though...

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Oh, that reminds me.

paralasalud: The facebook group description does not clearly state that this is Melee, or at least not the last time I checked. I bet a lot of the 8 billion people who have said they plan to attend are assuming it's Brawl.

paralasalud

Smash Ace
yeah we have 112 confirmed on facebook... buuuut you know. it's facebook. we'll see how that actually pans out. if that many people come then great- that's awesome for the charity aspect. as far as tourney management... eeeehhh

but thanks, i updated the facebook page.

Lemondude829

Smash Journeyman
not really sure how facebook events work, but can someone throw me a facebook invite for this? the name is brandon leeman, look for the picture of someone pushing a kid in a swingset.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Same here. The name is Eric Brickman and there's a picture of a Jew.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
I'm available. I played Ken once and did OK against him, so I think I'm pretty good.

paralasalud

Smash Ace
friend invites have been sent.

ALSO if anyone is coming to this for sure, the team organizing this would really like for you to register @ http://www.smashforhaiti.org. they want a clear idea of how many people are coming to accommodate staff and materials accordingly. you don't need to pay on the site yet, just register if you're coming f'sho.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
But they're big and powerful, therefore they must be good in teams, right? If I were being mugged in the crimefest that UIUC has evidently turned into, I'd rather have Bowser on my side than Fox.

Top Bottom