• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash, Crash n Brawwl! Sydney's newest Brawl/Melee Smash Tournament! 24/5/08

ComboTurtle

Smash Lord
stu make brawl doubles before brawl singles... because it makes sense and then that way me and jaz can play doubles.

netch!

Smash Cadet
i am coming, with gc/melee

like i said in the other thread, someone pm me their mobile in case i get lost

S.D

Smash Master
Hey people, just thought i should confirm where I'm going as I haven't been to UTS before. I'm getting the train to central, from there do I head to Broadway or Haymarket campus?

j3z

Smash Rookie
Sorry guys I'm going to have to bow out of this one. I have way too much uni work than I anticipated. I thought I could finish it by this weekend but apparently not. Hopefully I'll get a chance to play you at the other meets.

adiabatic

Smash Rookie
Would just like to thank the organisers/players involved in this tournament. I had a great time playing such talented players.

Unfortunately I had to leave before the brawl singles but gg to everyone I played in the brawl doubles/friendlies. Hope to play you guys again one day.

sig

Bjay

Smash Lord
Pasted from Sydney thread cause yeahhhh I suck.

Quick SCAB results. Shoutouts in some hours. Stu post the full results please!

Melee Doubles

1. CAOTIC + Bringer (Team Cute)
2. Kulla + Bjay (The Truth About Luigi)
3. Jaz + ComboTurtle (Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn)
4. sorry forgot

Melee Singles

1. CAOTIC (VIC)
2. Bringer (WA)
3. Kulla (NSW)
4. Bjay (NSW)

Brawl Doubles

1. Kulla + Bjay (The Truth About Luigi)
2. CAOTIC + Bringer (Team Cute)
3. Bojak + Sig? (Team F*** You)
4. sorry forgot

Brawl Singles

1. Kulla (NSW)
2. CAOTIC (VIC)
3. Bjay (NSW)
4. perpetual_ownage (NSW)

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I love you all

Turtle you owe me a dollar

Shoutouts/Report after my flight - Kulla! send some photos my way

ComboTurtle

Smash Lord
I love you all

Turtle you owe me a dollar

Shoutouts/Report after my flight - Kulla! send some photos my way

you owe me the money you won for singles in brawl, i was EASILY the second best player there like bjay came 3rd and he's never even beaten me but the single elimation thing was the stupidest thing ive ever seen im 100% positive if it was double elimination i'd have come 2nd and p.p.s u also owe me 20$ from poker... however i will take into account the 1$ and subtract it from from what u owe me, so ahhh if you wanna send down about 59$ thatd be great =]
But in all seriousness im pretty ****ing pissed at the way brawl singles was run, fair enough we were running late but it shouldve just been double elimination from the start... there were only like 16 people

Kulla

Smash Journeyman
Thanks Brinton and Stu for arranging everything, it was a great tourney except for the end of brawl singles...the single elim thing did suck...and I really do feel sorry for Turtle... he did get a bit ****ed at the end...

Apart from orginasation problems, everything else was great, reminds me of the old egg days (old as in...last year...) I'll post some shoutouts later, for now its back to work for me!

Bjay

Smash Lord
you owe me the money you won for singles in brawl, i was EASILY the second best player there like bjay came 3rd and he's never even beaten me but the single elimation thing was the stupidest thing ive ever seen im 100% positive if it was double elimination i'd have come 2nd and p.p.s u also owe me 20$ from poker... however i will take into account the 1$ and subtract it from from what u owe me, so ahhh if you wanna send down about 59$ thatd be great =]
But in all seriousness im pretty ****ing pissed at the way brawl singles was run, fair enough we were running late but it shouldve just been double elimination from the start... there were only like 16 people
The fact that the tourney took that long...nah I'll save it for another time.

Yep should have been double elim, you were fairly unlucky there. I don't think we've ever had any single-elims before, let's hope we never have to resort to it again.

Fun facts :p - There were approx. 22-23 entrants if you count Xeno forfeiting at the end whilst we waited for his match with Stuey ;)

Anywho, while I acknowledge you're a good player, and I'm sure you would have also placed up pretty high, I would like to also mention that we've only ever played twice (Pit Vs Luigi at n2c, and Marth ditto at the hostel, yes, I remember random things), while I'm not claiming I'm better than you, you did beat me in both of course, but that's not to say that the same result could have happened had we had to have a match at the tourney, the odds would be on your side, but that's not to say I haven't got a good chance against you.

I dunnoooooo, I personally think I'm a crap player, both at Melee and Brawl, but when i play I do try my best, and while I can't beat most players consistently that's not to say I don't have a good/decent chance against them. Cause let's not forget, I've pulled off some unexpected fluke comebacks in some of the past matches at previous tournaments (lol trust me to remember most at the top of my head :embarrass). Then again, they are flukes though, so maybe I pretty much don't stand a chance at all then.

I personally think I earnt that 3rd place for Brawl yesterday (probably once in a lifetime thing though). I tried my best, especially with 90% of my opponents I found tough, and 5% of my matches unbelievable >_>

I'm sure if smashers like, for example, Jaz (due to leaving early) and Pat were at the tourney too, the results would have been slightly different, with their names in the Top 4 as well (both Melee and Brawl). I also think Chicken Salad would have gone quite well too (I think he got quite unlucky in Melee or was just his usual self =P), and if he entered Brawl he would have also done well. After all, it's Chicken Salad.

As for Melee - you would have definitely beaten me.

But yeah you got really unlucky with it Tom, I know how you feel, hopefully that sort of thing won't happen again, and at the next tourney (Brawl only). But that's if you're going though.

Don't worry, I've my pet peeves too <3

---

Other stuff:

My essay shoutouts coming in somewhat less than a few hours (does that even make sense? :confused:).

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
thanks to everyone involved in the tourney, I had heaps of fun and learnt a few new things, I'm defiantly up for more, and everyone was real friendly.

and kulla, thanks for being nice and not rapeing me too bad.

ComboTurtle

Smash Lord
The fact that the tourney took that long...nah I'll save it for another time.

Yep should have been double elim, you were fairly unlucky there. I don't think we've ever had any single-elims before, let's hope we never have to resort to it again.

Fun facts :p - There were approx. 22-23 entrants if you count Xeno forfeiting at the end whilst we waited for his match with Stuey ;)

Anywho, while I acknowledge you're a good player, and I'm sure you would have also placed up pretty high, I would like to also mention that we've only ever played twice (Pit Vs Luigi at n2c, and Marth ditto at the hostel, yes, I remember random things), while I'm not claiming I'm better than you, you did beat me in both of course, but that's not to say that the same result could have happened had we had to have a match at the tourney, the odds would be on your side, but that's not to say I haven't got a good chance against you.

I dunnoooooo, I personally think I'm a crap player, both at Melee and Brawl, but when i play I do try my best, and while I can't beat most players consistently that's not to say I don't have a good/decent chance against them. Cause let's not forget, I've pulled off some unexpected fluke comebacks in some of the past matches at previous tournaments (lol trust me to remember most at the top of my head :embarrass). Then again, they are flukes though, so maybe I pretty much don't stand a chance at all then.

I personally think I earnt that 3rd place for Brawl yesterday (probably once in a lifetime thing though). I tried my best, especially with 90% of my opponents I found tough, and 5% of my matches unbelievable >_>

I'm sure if smashers like, for example, Jaz (due to leaving early) and Pat were at the tourney too, the results would have been slightly different, with their names in the Top 4 as well (both Melee and Brawl). I also think Chicken Salad would have gone quite well too (I think he got quite unlucky in Melee or was just his usual self =P), and if he entered Brawl he would have also done well. After all, it's Chicken Salad.

As for Melee - you would have definitely beaten me.

But yeah you got really unlucky with it Tom, I know how you feel, hopefully that sort of thing won't happen again, and at the next tourney (Brawl only). But that's if you're going though.

Don't worry, I've my pet peeves too <3

---

Other stuff:

My essay shoutouts coming in somewhat less than a few hours (does that even make sense? :confused:).

bjay i play metaknight now and i wouldve come second i had friendlies with everyone around you in the rankings and sandbagged with all of them and still won, i even sandbagged in the swiss and the only reason i lost a match was cause i played kulla and then i had to play him again in the single elim, it was stupid as hell... i'd like to say i'd play you sometime but i dont really feel as if i can be ****ed coming to sydney to play smash anymore.

Bjay

Smash Lord
yeah i know you play meta knight xD My main has changed too =P

well, there's always 'wi-fi' if you're up for it, but I don't think it would be enough. But yeah don't worry I understand, you do live a fair distance from us all, and it does suck. I don't think we've ever played much apart from those Peach Vs Marth Melee days.

But yeah in the end it's up to you, we did take a long while to finish the tournament, more longer than usual, and then there's other factors like how early you have to wake up, and not to mention getting back home, as well as the distance and duration of it too.

You versed Kulla quite often, something I can relate to very easily. :p

ComboTurtle

Smash Lord
yeah i know you play meta knight xD My main has changed too =P

well, there's always 'wi-fi' if you're up for it, but I don't think it would be enough. But yeah don't worry I understand, you do live a fair distance from us all, and it does suck. I don't think we've ever played much apart from those Peach Vs Marth Melee days.

But yeah in the end it's up to you, we did take a long while to finish the tournament, more longer than usual, and then there's other factors like how early you have to wake up, and not to mention getting back home, as well as the distance and duration of it too.

You versed Kulla quite often, something I can relate to very easily. :p

nah wifi sucks, me and my room mate put my brawl disc in the microwave like 3 weeks ago... so i dont even have it.

Dedu

Smash Lord
What happens when a Disc goes in the microwave?
I wub sparklies in Microwave ovens! Hence why most Aluminium trays say 'dont put in microwave oven'.

Best ones to see in increasing entertainment value -
A half burnt match
burnt or unburnt sparkler
dead lightbulb

Try it and see what happens. :-D

WARNING: Don't ever put a fluorescent bulb in the oven.
Why? Add Mercury (Hg) + person together. What do you get?

Bjay

Smash Lord
I hope your window doesn't stretch guys, I know mine isn't because I have this window maximised.

Anyway here comes my wall of text. But before that. WHAT’S THE NAME OF THAT JAPANESE RESTAURANT WE WENT TO AFTER SCAB?

It’s been a while since we had an egg tourney, since our last three consecutive tourneys were Smash@SMASH, OHN, and Revo. It’s been a while having a tourney where the whole S3 thing began, so it was lovely ^_^ I had a couple of pet peeves, but **** I had a bloody great day, and it was nice having a relaxing and laidback tournament, but maybe it was a little too laidback. :p It was also good to see faces I haven’t seen in a while, as well as plenty of new faces. Despite the tournament falling behind schedule and then finishing way overtime, as well as Yum Cha not making its appearance, it was a great day overall, and I had a bunch of fun, despite not playing many friendlies :p =)

I think it’s safe to say though for future tournaments it should just be Melee only, or Brawl. If we want both, maybe hold them in a period close to each other or something? *shrug* that’s just a suggestion. But if we’re going to make 4 games work very efficiently, then show me! =)

My ‘essay’ shoutouts In A.O:

Bringer Of Death – Ryan! It’s great to see you again, glad to talk to you once again too, as you always make me laugh :D Once again at Smash, you prove you’re too good, with a deadly Fox and Yoshi at your side that are both too good. I’ll see you soon this week yeah, it’ll be good to hang out once again, since you’re in Sydney for a short time. :p

C0d3M0nk3y – lol Brinton, I don’t know how you put up with us lol. Hopefully you weren’t too bored and too tired. Cheers once again for making the tournament happen, it’s been a while, it’s great to see you once again too. Hope to see you again for more lolz.

CAOTIC – David la! Awww how it sucks you were only in Sydney for a short time, but it’s better than nothing! It was great to see you again and thanks for always putting up with me lol. Too good at Smash as per usual ;P, but I hope you enjoyed versing my Wario, even if it was in doubles. :p Wario is too good! Come back to Sydney soon, and we can hang out ^_^ I hope you got enough sleep today :p PS: LOLL at the Jaz/Gibs things!

Chicken Salad – Mannnn! You should have entered Brawl singles! You would have done great lol. Unlucky about Melee singles, we both know you should have done better. I always have fun playing against you, and I don’t think I got to verse you at all during the tournament, but at least we got to a lot the day before, lol you always make me laugh during our matches xD

ComboTurtle – Unlucky about the tournament tom. Hopefully it’ll be a one off for ya. I know from experience too that you’re a really great player. Hopefully we can play more matches though; it’s something we tend to rarely have. So hopefully they’ll be more common. =) It was good to see you again ^_^

Dedu – Man you’re crazyyyyyy taking on a tournament. lol you bludger too! Cheers though nonetheless. SCAB wouldn’t have happened if it weren’t for you and Brinton. lol it seems I didn’t play you at all either. Aww I’m very sad we didn’t get to go to Yum Cha =( It was inevitable though. I say we should all go to Yum Cha some time soon just for the heck of it. Thanks for letting this all happen yeah =) Also thanks for helping film the finals match for Brawl. I would have done it but I didn’t want everyone waiting on the 3rd/4th place matches to finish.

Fork – Simon you are too good my friend. It was awesome to see you again and very great to talk to you once again too, I look forward to vsing you next time in Brawl too, after what I had to go up against yesterday :p the fact that you haven’t really played it much too, I’ve been nothing but impressed when vsing you, and we had some great matches that were always very close.

Funky – awwwwwwwww Simon you probably won’t read this =P But that’s okay you still get a shoutout anyway =D Smash ain’t the same without you, and I haven’t versed you in ages too! Awww I hope to see you again soon, and play Smash well soon! Hope the busy life is okay!

Gibs – heyy it was nice to meet you! Didn’t play you at smash at all but it was very nice talking to you, props for taking pics with Simon’s camera, and also cheers for filming one of the brawl doubles finals matches for me too =) I appreciate it heaps! Look forward to see you again some time in the future.

Jaz – JULLA! Hope you enjoyed your girlfriend’s play =) It’s good that you went, and I’m sure she’s glad you did. I remember when all of the few people I asked to come to my play didn’t come for lame reasons (some people they are >.>), BUT yeah anyway moving on! It’s a shame though that you had to leave early, I’m sure if the tournament started earlier and the progress was faster, we would have seen results in Melee Singles and Brawl Doubles where you would be in the Top 4! Sorry that I forgot to tell you the rest of the results T_T I forgott =(

Keeno – Hey Keeno it was great to see you again. I don’t think I got to play you this time around, except in doubles, once again lol. You seem to have did pretty well though! That’s good! Hope you enjoyed Brawl, too bad I don’t think you’ll be using Falco anymore though =P See you soon hopefully.

Kulla – Simonnnnn le! Thanks for teaming up with me, and grats on winning Brawl Singles and well done for 3rd in Melee, and for coming 2nd in Melee Teams and 1st in Brawl Doubles ahaha :p You’re a very good smash player, who has an awesome camera too, it’s a shame that camera’s battery died so early >.> Your little Luigi went everywhere during the day too, glad he didn’t go missing in the end. You know, it’s good to see that we did well despite the amount of times we killed each other, as well as suicided too. I found it hilarious how you were like ‘sorry’ out loud when you hadn’t killed me yet, then I died. I didn’t even notice your character was right next to mine, let alone an attack coming haha. Still nonetheless, thanks for teaming up with me, I’m glad we finally could! ^_^ It's also scary how we rarely have friendlies, but we always seem to vs each other fairly often in tourney matches lol.

luke_atyeo – hey luke! Good to see you make it all the way to the tournament in Sydney! Hope you enjoyed yourself and had a good time. I may have only got to vs you once, but from what I can tell so far, you’re very good. I hope there are more players in your area as well We’ll have some more matches next time.

Meteor Master – Heyy it’s good to see you again! It’s a shame about the gimping for Olimar, because despite that you played really well. You’ve also got a pretty dangerous Lucas, that match was really close too. Still haven’t versed you on Wi-Fi too, I should get
Around to it some time …T.T

netch! – hey dude, it was good to meet you! I personally didn’t get to really play you, nor talk to you much all day, but it was good that we were able to chit-chat afterwards. It’s a shame you got gimped with what you ordered too, I know how you feel =( Hope to play you some time soon.

Sanc - Hey it was great to see you again! Bahhhh I didn’t want to vs you in my first round in the Melee Double Elim, and aww once again I vs you in teams for double elim in the losers bracket too! Blahh =P Hope to vs you more, and I hope you liked Brawl! Hope to see you again soon!

Sig – hey dude! Were you only at the tourney during Brawl? I can’t believe I didn’t know you were around and we only got to play one match only T_T Despite you’re taking a little break, I hope to play you soon. It was great to meet you! You know you’re good at Brawl =P

SD/Jelly – Hey dudes! Way come down all the way from Newcastle! Thanks for coming as well, you guys are really great for a team, and while I didn’t personally get to vs you Jelly, I did get to vs you though SD, both friendly-wise, and tourney-wise. You’ve got a nice mix of characters in Melee and each match we’ve had were close, especially in Melee. Especially in our Melee match that counted for the tournament. Well done on getting 5th though, those are some crazy skills you have, and I found vsing you very challenging. I hope to see you guys again soon, and Jelly, we shall play some matches!

SS Ben/Igif/2t – Hey where abouts you guys from? I didn’t really play you guys much, apart from SS Ben and Igif in one Swiss Melee match each. But yeah I didn’t really get to play you guys =( Hopefully I can more next time, if you guys are in Sydney, make yourself known! :p

Xeno – Xeno! We didn’t even vs each other apart from that one friendly first thing in the morning. Still, it was a close match, and you haven’t even played in a while too, so that’s pretty good! Not sure if you like Brawl any more or any less than before, but I say you should give it a few more tries =P You never know you might like it, and find a character that you will main.

Zaidou – good to meet you, even though it should have been our 2nd time. :p Regardless it was nice to meet you, yet during the whole time we haven’t even played. Blah! Next time then lol. Blah, you live so far too. You don’t have Wi-Fi, do you? >.>

--

And that’s the end of my shoutouts, personally each one should have been longer but uhh, I kept failing at multi-tasking and I kept losing my train of thought so yeah.

There were also a bunch of other smashers I wanted to talk to, but didn't end up happening, as well as wanting to meet some other smashers too at the tourney.

I’d like to end this wall of text with something I haven’t laughed as much (until I actually finally noticed it, thanks dave) since Melbourne with the Flying Stu and Elbow-dropping Tom incident. :p See next post.

netch!

Smash Cadet
nice picture

luckily you didn't get to friendly against me bjay, as you would have seen how bad i was, hahahah. i just need more practise against decent people because that was my first tournament, and the first time playing against decent players. it's a lot different from playing against the pc's, i have that down pat.

i honestly could have thrashed you all, i was just a little tired and, uh, my glasses were fogged up.. yer

Zaidou

Smash Journeyman
LOLOLOLOLOLOLKEKEKEKEKEKEKE

Love that NINJA SHIRT.

Netch, I had the same problem as You, but You go one tougher w/ noone in Your Social Circle who Smashes.

Top Bottom