• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash, Crash n Brawwl! Sydney's newest Brawl/Melee Smash Tournament! 24/5/08

Bjay

Smash Lord
Excellent.

---------

*subscribes*

I just wanna say on Dedu's behalf that the final ruleset for Brawl has yet to be finalised, but just used as a basis so far.

[edit] Will be refering to this tournament as 'SCAB' ^_^ [/edit]

Dedu

Smash Lord
Changed Brawl Stage dtls:
No one wants to do Castle Seige or Pokemon Stadium fo sho'.

Till we spam teh boards!

Sam: was that a sarcastic comment?

Bjay

Smash Lord
That ... was serious. Hanenbow is a playable stage. I don't see whats so bad about it. Can it not be a counterpick?

Ban Pokemon Stadium 2. Thats far worse than Hanenbow.
What's with the dots?

Pokemon Stadium 2 will be banned. So will Hanenbow. But to be honest, I prefer Pokemon Stadium. The rules have still yet to be finalised anyway.

Anyway, rather than questioning what's so bad about it (despite it being discussed already in the Australian Brawl Stage Discussion).

What's so good about it? Apart from the pretty colours, music, and sound effects.

perpetual ownage

Smash Journeyman
What's with the dots?

Pokemon Stadium 2 will be banned. So will Hanenbow. But to be honest, I prefer Pokemon Stadium. The rules have still yet to be finalised anyway.

Anyway, rather than questioning what's so bad about it (despite it being discussed already in the Australian Brawl Stage Discussion).

What's so good about it? Apart from the pretty colours, music, and sound effects.
But why ban it? What is wrong with it? I think it's on counterpicks in USA at the moment. If anything should be banned it should be all the walk off stages. You can die at really low percents on all of those.

I think that banning it is a little too extreme and I can't read the Stage Ruleset discussion thread. It's too long. Is it possible that you could link me to some posts on the discussion of the banishment of Hanenbow?

Bjay

Smash Lord
But why ban it? What is wrong with it? I think it's on counterpicks in USA at the moment. If anything should be banned it should be all the walk off stages. You can die at really low percents on all of those.

I think that banning it is a little too extreme and I can't read the Stage Ruleset discussion thread. It's too long. Is it possible that you could link me to some posts on the discussion of the banishment of Hanenbow?
I knew it was coming. I knew you weren't gonna bother answering the questions.

And before you use that same thing on me, I'm gonna say now that I don't really play on that stage much, which is why I never really answered. You on the other hand, seem to know why it's a good stage.

Despite that, I have played the stages of course (not in a competitive state, but...):

There are many reasons for banning a stage. Whether it's from too many hazards, 'moving' stages, low percentage kills, or things on the stage that can kill you just like that, plus a whole bunch of other reasons.

I've played on the stage few times, and it might have been my bad luck, but seriously all I've had to deal with is constant camp camp camp. While you can technically camp on other stages, don't forget stages like Hyrule Temple were also banned, because of the many methods of camping, not to mention endless camping. I'm sure Hyrule Temple has many other reasons, but I use it as they both promote camping.

But hey, that's my reason. Whether it's good enough or not, I don't know. What's your reasons for it being a good stage?

By the way I do like Hyrule as well, but from experience and being realistic, as a tournament stage, it's just terrible.

---

This is why we had our own ruleset discussion thread in the first place. So we can have our own ruleset, heck, Australia's states are all starting to have their own ruleset. Why should we have to follow the same rules that the USA have?

Thread is long? Who cares. That's a poor excuse when the boards have a simple 'Search' function. Not to mention, a 'Search' function inside every thread.

You might find that searching Hanenbow is only possible in this thread. What to search in such a long thread then?

Here's a clue:
Electroplankton

perpetual ownage

Smash Journeyman
It has platforms and edgeguarding like all good stages. It doesn't have stage hazards. It does have camping and it promotes it but the camping isn't infinite like Hyrule. The camping aspect makes it a good stage for counterpicks if your character is good at camping and camping is part of Brawl's meta-game.

Bjay

Smash Lord
It has platforms and edgeguarding like all good stages. It doesn't have stage hazards. It does have camping and it promotes it but the camping isn't infinite like Hyrule. The camping aspect makes it a good stage for counterpicks if your character is good at camping and camping is part of Brawl's meta-game.
Wrong. Camping is not part of Brawl's meta-game.

It's just, you can't get punished as much in Brawl, as you could in Melee.

Camping is pretty much in any game. But camping is frowned upon.

Examples:

-*camp camp camp* *boom headshot* Terrorists, win.

- hadouken, hadouken, hadouken, hadouken.

--

Versing one camper, makes the game tedious. Having a camper vs a camper, means I'm gonna miss out on lunch.

I seriously hope you just didn't promote camping. I don't know whether you play a campy Snake or not, but whether Camping is the new black or not, it's something I'm never gonna smile at, nor approve of.

Oh and being pedantic, camping isn't 'endless' on any stage, I was just simply using Hyrule as Hyrule and Hanenbow can relate to each other.

---

You might as well say something like the Game and Watch stage is good for Character X because they can pretty much kill everyone in a matter of moments. Doesn't make it acceptable though.

perpetual ownage

Smash Journeyman
Your playstyle is very offensive and I know that you hate camping. I don't know if my Snake is campy or not. I don't play enough Brawl to know that but I'll do whatever it takes to win.

Dedu

Smash Lord
Which we have Tommy Hilfiger.

Camping is best allowed in CounterStrike.

Bjay

Smash Lord
I don't know if my Snake is campy or not.
It's not hard to tell whether you have a campy playstyle or not, let alone a campy Snake. But I'll just assume it's not a campy Snake, cause I can't picture your Snake being the camping type for some reason.

I don't play enough Brawl to know that but I'll do whatever it takes to win.
Don't need to know based on how often you play. You either do or you don't, but I don't think you do.

As for the last quoted statement, I was so very very tempted to dig up and say something but it would create unnecessary discussion.

Anyway, BACK to the Tournament discussion.

I don't think Dedu is going to put Hanenbow on the list, sorry. :)

Bjay

Smash Lord
xenopost -

Stu, what are we gonna do about matches being filmed and what not?

j3z

Smash Rookie
So I guess that means your going then as well? Cool. I'm not really familiar with the level of play in the competitive scene. Anyone up for a quick game? I just want to test my skills (or lack thereof) :p

Bjay

Smash Lord
most of us methinks
'most of us' went to OHN. Remember how that turned out? ;-;

[edit] of course, luckily that was only one tournament :p [/edit]

I sure hope there is a nice number of attendance for this tourney ^_^

Dedu

Smash Lord
people can switch playstyles to suit the current competition.
Even when you don't expect them to camp they can switch on the fly and camp you to death, then switch to aggro style to kill you off.

Sure there will be a nice turn out for this tournament!

j3z

Smash Rookie
I'll be there. But I hope that I won't be too much of a n00b for it. I suppose I won't find out until the day unless ownage hurry's up and joins the game I opened!

ComboTurtle

Smash Lord
if you havent been to a tournament, chances are you'll get owned... but its the only way to improve :) Also if you play a good char in brawl you may go good at that, but brawl sucks.

Jaz

Smash Ace

Bjay has a point!
hey stui, maybe you could put an attendance confirmed/iffy list

Bad news though ._.
The Missus' final play is on at 8pm on may the 24th
so i won't be able to attend the entire tournament >.<

So i would like to inquire as to why brawl doubles is last
singles is usually the climax of the day, and if its last i can still team with someone for brawl

I don't know what time i'm expected to be there beforehand, so i can't give an exact time of when i'm leaving either.

This is unavoidable for me guys i hope you understand

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
in regards to attendance I'm coming down from Canberra for my first ever tourney.
I'm also bringing a friend so that makes 2.

Bjay

Smash Lord
Nice observation, I hope everything gets finalised soon for this tournament.

luke_atyeo! Nice to hear! Look forward to your attendance :)

S.D

Smash Master
Registration is just on the day yes? I'm hoping to make it anyways, despite having played brawl only once... Anyways just thought i should check up on that. Hope to see you all there.

Dedu

Smash Lord
Yes Registration is on the day.

List of Attendance and prices are now on the first page.

Top Bottom