• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Census

Disclaimer
If such a thing has been done very recently tell me in a kind manner. I have been unable to find anything related to this particular idea. At anytime recently.

Many characters are thought of as under represented or over represented. However, each account probably has some reigon bias because of the people they have meet. This is not a very clear picture of the truth of things. As such, I would like to start a sort of smash census of players mains and secondaries to better understand the true popularity of each character.

To accomplish this, I would like it if everyone could make a post here stating his or her main and secondary. If you have more than one main, please mark only the character you use most often in competition and list your most 2nd used character as a secondary. I do not want more than 2 characters listed for each post. If you have no secondary, then you can leave it blank. Also, please use this format listed below.

Main: {Insert Character}
Secondary: {Insert Character}

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
If the goal is to accurately gauge character representation, why not just look at tournament results and attendance?

A thread poll like this seems incredibly inefficient.

Life

Smash Hero
This would be more useful if divided into skill tiers.

Something like:

(Inter?)National Pro
Regional Pro
*1-2 intermediate tiers*
Randoms
Non-tournament/casual (op.)

IDK if this should be self-described or based on PR or tournament results or what.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
this thread won't last, but.

For brawl:
Main: Luigi, Falco
Secondary: Snake, Marth

If the goal is to accurately gauge character representation, why not just look at tournament results and attendance?
I had not considered tournament attendence. However, as far as I know, no tournaments posts player + character in results past 16th place or so. So unless a tournament matches character with player for every entry, it would sort of gear the results of top played character popularity. My goal is a more broad base including every skill level. However, if this proofs inconclusive, I could always try to look at the top 8 results, but that would already have been done by ankoku's thread.
This would be more useful if divided into skill tiers.

(Inter?)National Pro
Regional Pro
*1-2 intermediate tiers*
Randoms
Non-tournament/casual (op.)
The problem with trying to have skill tiers is it would meaning have to categorize players. And I am not sure how easy it would be to draw the line between skill levels. I could say the top 9 on the power rankings for a state are regional pro, but where does it end?
For brawl:
Main: Luigi, Falco
Secondary: Snake, Marth
I guess I should restate the format. By two only, I meant one for a main, and one for a secondary.

For myself, it would be this.
Main: Falco
Secondary: Peach

Psyco

Smash Journeyman
Well, I used to main MK because I really liked him in the Kirby series. But suddenly I just decided I didn't want do main him so now....
Main: Lucario
Secondary: Fox

Life

Smash Hero
Very well then, this isn't my census after all.

Main: Sonic
Second: oh dear which one should I pick... I have like eight. Gogo MK I guess.

Limeee

Smash Champion
you shoud've posted this in tactical
tactical is still pretty bad, but it has alot less casuals then GBD

Main Snake
Secondary MK

gcubedude

Smash Apprentice
Main: Snake b/c I like his playstyle.
Secondary: Random because my secondary is whoever I feel like playing as when I don't play as Snake.

Moogi

Smash Apprentice
I really don't know about this, but oh well.

Main: Ness
Secondary: Marth

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Does Offline and Online variations matter?

If so:

Online:
Main: Falcon
Second: Sonic

Offline:

Main: Samus
Second: Link

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Oh snap here we go.

Main: Yoshi
Secondary: Link

For some reason I'm not good with the high tier characters in Brawl.

Well, this'll be the most inaccurate and smallest poll ever, but anyway:
Well, it is a start is it not? This method really only gathers votes on the smashboard side of things, but any other method suffers from other similar faults. However, it might be better to have tried than to have never tried at all. Plus, I think it might yield some good results if enough people participate.

Blissard

Smash Lord
Well, it is a start is it not? This method really only gathers votes on the smashboard side of things, but any other method suffers from other similar faults. However, it might be better to have tried than to have never tried at all. Plus, I think it might yield some good results if enough people participate.
Well, there's so many factors that play into this though. There's the level of play, like how many low-level players use Ike, and high-leveled with MK. There are low tiered tournament, regular tournaments, and tournaments that ban MK. There are different locations, and thus people's metagames vary depending on what characters are used most in the area. People's mains and secondaries change sometimes, deoending on trends. There are hundreds of thousands of brawlers out there, and this will only take a small small small percentage of them. Plus, there isn't even a proper poll chart. Any result that this yields will be horribly inaccurate.

But an acorn for your thoughts, in any case.

Top Bottom