• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Brothers University 2.0 - November 10th, 2013 - Stony Brook, NY

TheGrape

Smash Cadet
Smash Brothers University 2.0

Me, Bubbaking, and the SBU Smash Crew / AP Club are all excited to host the 3rd installment of the Smash Brothers University tournament series! We host 2 of these every year with x.0 indicating the Fall tournament and x.5 being the Spring tournament. We have been doing our best to make the next tournament bigger and better, and this one is no exception. The venue has been moved to an even bigger location that can effectively hold over 300 people. This time we are adding $200 pot bonuses for Melee AND PM Singles!

Details:
Date - Sunday, November 10, 2013
Time - 9:00AM - 11:00PM
Games - Melee Singles/Doubles, PM Singles/Doubles
Pot Bonus - $200 Melee Singles, $200 PM Singles
Price - $10 venue, $10 singles, $5 teams (per player)
FB Event Link - https://www.facebook.com/events/1423367837883200

SAC Drive
Stony Brook, New York 11790
Venue Website - http://studentaffairs.stonybrook.edu/for/facilities/ballrooma.shtml

Floor Plan:

Raffle System:
The raffle system we rolled out last time was a great success so we are doing it again this year! Our prizes last year included a GC memory card, a silver controller, and 2 new white controllers. This year we hope to dish out prizes just as good, or even better than last time.

Edit: We are giving 5 new white controllers as prizes for the raffle!!

So how do you get tickets? Paying for venue gets you 2 tickets already! Afterwards, each ticket is priced at $1 a pop. Every time you get a ticket, you actually get a pair of tickets with the same number.

Why is that? Well this is the other cool thing about our raffle system which I believe makes our tournaments unique. When you give 1 of the pair of tickets, the ticket goes into the drawing box, and then you get take your pick of 1 slice of pizza or 1 bottle of drink.

By that logic, yes, we are selling drinks and pizza for $1 each. For each item you buy, you conveniently get a raffle ticket as well!! The pizza offer comes in cheese or pepperoni, and new batches are delivered every couple of hours for freshness. We also have a variety of bottled drinks kept cold courtesy of a cooler full of ice we bring at the venue.

We have ordered 30 boxes of pizza and 180 bottles of drinks for this event!!

Discounts*:
Take the LIRR from Zone 1-3 stations (show us receipt) - 20% off
Bring a friend who has not been to a previous SBU tournament - 20% off
Bring system + game - 20% off
Bring TV - 20% off
Bring system + game + TV - 50% off**

I'm keeping track of setups through this file: http://bit.ly/1bRUwN4

*The discounts can stack for a maximum of 50% off the venue.

**For every full setup confirmed before November 10, you get 1 extra raffle ticket. This means if you tell us before the 10th that you are bringing a full setup, you get an extra ticket when you get in the door. Granted you -still- have to bring the full setup. We need setup info early on for logistical purposes.

Here is a comprehensive guide on taking the LIRR from Penn Station (can be used from anywhere): http://smashboards.com/threads/smas...2013-stony-brook-ny-usa.334859/#post-15401472

Streaming:
We have a Dazzle setup in house, but if someone can bring a better setup that'd be great! Our default steam channel is: http://www.twitch.tv/saltedbread

Directions to Venue:
The venue is different from last time so the guide I had from SBU 1.5 is not completely accurate. The ones I have below should be better. You can still use the guide on the SBU 1.5 thread to get to campus but you can't use it to get to the new venue.

From the LIRR:

Your path will look like the one on this image:

Blue path is the recommended path. It's the path that guarantees you don't get lost in campus.
Purple path is the shortest path to the venue.

For cars - parking and loading/unloading:

Your way to Circle Road will differ based on which entrance your GPS/Google Maps tells you.

Blue path = From Main Entrance
Brown path = From South Entrance

Either way your path branches when you hit Engineering Drive. If you want to unload TVs to the venue, you take the yellow path. Temporarily park your car on the curb, find the door that has CRTs inside, knock to get our attention, and we will let you in to drop off the TV. There is also a small parking lot accessible through the yellow path but it is usually filled.

If you just want to get parking take the purple path and park in the circled area. It is further from the venue but there are more spots available.

Tournament Schedule:
9:00AM - Venue Opens / Start Registration
1:00PM - Melee Doubles
2:00PM - PM Doubles
4:00PM - Melee Singles
5:00PM - PM Singles
11:00PM - Venue Closes

Times are not absolute but we plan to be as close to this schedule as possible.

Prize Distribution:
1st place - 60%
2nd place - 25%
3rd place - 10%
4th place - 5%

Ruleset:
We are using the Apex ruleset for Melee - https://www.apex-series.com/rules/melee/
The ruleset for PM is here - bit.ly/HlYx1I

Hope to see you guys there!! 60+ people came last time so hope we can hit 100!

XACE-K

Smash Master
When are you going to start setting up? I live on campus so going to the sac to help won't be a problem for me.

TheGrape

Smash Cadet
Just wanted to keep everyone updated in what we've been doing for this event. We have ordered 30 boxes of pizza and 180 bottles of drinks specifically for this event! We have also placed an order for 5 new white controllers to raffle off at this tournament!!

Here is an initial draft of the floor plan.

We are working with 6700 sq ft. of venue space so please bring setups! We give discounts for venue for those bringing setups.

Speaking of discounts, we have revamped our discount system so that we could give more discounts to people. Here are the new discount rates:

Take the LIRR from Zone 1-3 stations (show us receipt) - 20% off
Bring a friend who has not been to a previous SBU tournament - 20% off
Bring system + game - 20% off
Bring TV - 20% off
Bring system + game + TV - 50% off

We can only take off a maximum of 50% off the venue but this should make things cheaper for more people. If you tell us you are going to bring a full setup in advance, we will give you an extra raffle ticket in addition to your discount!

I'll be updating the thread with these info and adding in the tournament start times + other info.

TheGrape

Smash Cadet
Yes, that is correct. SBU is very accessible by public transportation via the LIRR

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
OK. For curiosity's sake, is the walk from the train station to the activity center long?
Also I can bring a Wii with Melee.

phish-it

Smash Champion
Should be coming to this.

30 boxes of pizza? This is on the same weekend as Pound 5.5. Do you guys anticipate getting enough people to eat that much?

GuyWithTheFace13

Smash Rookie
^
SBU is bigger than Pound, people should prioritize Smash Brothers University 2.0 over pound. SBU has a bigger venue and a $200 base pot for melee singles. It also has P:M with a $200 base pot. Pound doesn't even do P:M, correct?

This tournament is going to be so hype. Free food and drinks and controllers, 400 dollars of prize money minimum! I can't wait.

OK. For curiosity's sake, is the walk from the train station to the activity center long?
Walk from the station to the S.A.C. is about 5 minutes. You are literally within the campus when you get dropped off by the train. It's super-convenient.

TheGrape

Smash Cadet
host more bryant park events plz
I'd love to do more but we most likely would continue again at Spring. Me and my friend tacked on the Johns so we were not able to do as much of these as we wanted. I think its fine anyways because the NYC scene has picked up again with NYU being back and D1's Sudden Death series being back as well.

Should be coming to this.

30 boxes of pizza? This is on the same weekend as Pound 5.5. Do you guys anticipate getting enough people to eat that much?
Im being positive and hoping that would be the case. I believe we ordered 24 boxes last time and it was perfect for the 60+ that came. I am sure that we can get more people to come this time. I know we don't have that big a rep as TO's, but we do our best to make the next SBU tournament better than the last. I really do think that we are in a interesting position where can build this up to be a big regional event or even a national if we work hard enough.

If the 30 boxes are too much then we're probably going to donate the boxes to hungry college kids.

Did you post on the FB event page also? I'll be updating the equipment list right now and I dont want to be putting up double of the same thing.

S l o X

Smash Champion
Would anyone be willing to pick me up from Port Jefferson if I take the ferry there? :o

oh **** this is on a sunday nvm

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
^
SBU is bigger than Pound, people should prioritize Smash Brothers University 2.0 over pound. SBU has a bigger venue and a $200 base pot for melee singles. It also has P:M with a $200 base pot. Pound doesn't even do P:M, correct?

This tournament is going to be so hype. Free food and drinks and controllers, 400 dollars of prize money minimum! I can't wait.

Walk from the station to the S.A.C. is about 5 minutes. You are literally within the campus when you get dropped off by the train. It's super-convenient.
false, false, true, pound has PM

gl with tourney but mine will be better HEYOOOOOOO <3

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
I wish I had been told about this sooner, I haven't been out east in a bit.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
Hey guys just so you know, me and Cactuar are going to 3 tournaments this weekend, and we HAVE ROOM TO BRING 3 OTHERS TOO

There is a Friday event around New Brunswick, NJ, that starts at 6 PM and ends about 11 PM

then there is pound 5.5 in Maryland

and then there is this in NY.

If you wanna go, let me know!

They're all for Melee/PM btw

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
plz support me at:
www.facebook.com/mewtwoking (do this instead of Friend Requesting me plz)
www.twitch.tv/mew2king
www.twitter.com/ct_mew2king
CT at:
www.facebook.com/clashtournaments (HUGE updates soon!)
www.twitch.tv/clashtournaments
www.youtube.com/clashtournaments
Also, the ClashTournaments Twitch page will soon be having:
Armada, Isai, Wizzrobe, Vex, myself, Katrina, Anti, [maybe Hax eventually], and others streaming.
The best of 64, Melee, Brawl, and PM, in additions to League, speed runs, and tournaments. (And eventually Smash 4).
This will happen EVERY WEEK starting very soon. (Isai will be Monday or Tuesday nights for example).
Stay tuned on the ClashTournaments facebook for updates.
spread word please!
----
If you guys know any ARTISTS (or game designers/musicians) that want to make games with my friends and I, have them message my facebook page and I'll talk with them. www.facebook.com/mewtwoking
----
Lastly, I'm having a Reddit AMA soon. Dunno exactly when but maybe two weeks from now or so.

TheGrape

Smash Cadet

Its on like Donkey Kong®

I'm confident we can get up there in a year :). Good to see the Pound series is back and good luck this weekend.

I wish I had been told about this sooner, I haven't been out east in a bit.
Nooooooo. Seems I need to do a better job getting word out. Hope you can make the next one prog!

I have a full set up
Awesome. I'll add you in the setup list.

This post is on how you get to the venue. Our venue is on a different place compared to the guide on the OP. Here are the newer set of directions:

From the LIRR:

Your path will look like the one on this image:

Blue path is the recommended path. It's the path that guarantees you don't get lost in campus.
Purple path is the shortest path to the venue.

For cars - parking and loading/unloading:

Your way to circle road will differ based on which entrance your GPS/Google Maps tells you.

Blue path = From Main Entrance
Brown path = From South Entrance

Either way your path branches when you hit Engineering Drive. If you want to unload TVs to the venue, you take the yellow path. Temporarily park your car on the curb, find the door that has CRTs inside, knock to get our attention, and we will let you in to drop off the TV. There is also a small parking lot accessible through the yellow path but it is usually filled.

Otherwise take the purple path and park in the circled area. It is further from the venue but there are more spots available.

I'll update the OP with the same info here.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
yeeee definitely. your event looks like a blast so i'm sure it'll be great :)

GuyWithTheFace13

Smash Rookie

At the time I made that post (Sunday), you hadn't yet edited your cover-post on the Pound V.5 thread to reflect that you have P:M (which you did on Monday I gather). No disrespect was intended. But we are objectively a bigger space and have a base pot and such. Ideally, people can attend both tournaments!

Zanguzen

Smash Lord
I may be coming to this, so just in case, if I do, I will be bringing a full setup. I hope that counts for an extra raffle ticket if I do go. : P

TheGrape

Smash Cadet
I may be coming to this, so just in case, if I do, I will be bringing a full setup. I hope that counts for an extra raffle ticket if I do go. : P
Hype!!! If you guys can specify what setups you're bringing (Melee or Brawl, # of consoles), that'd be great! The sheet should be accurate as of this post.

Here is the link for the setup sheet again: http://bit.ly/1bRUwN4

Right now we are still needing setups. We want as much setups as possible so we can run the tournament smoothly and have enough leftover for friendlies. If you look at the sheet, we are needing more melee setups and tvs. Remember that we are giving discounts for people bringing setups! You will also get an extra raffle ticket if you tell us you are bringing a full setup before the 10th (and bring it).

For the latest news I have for you guys...

The controllers have finally arrived!

And we didn't expect this to arrive before the 10th.

We might be able to use this in the tournament. Chances will be good if we are able to buy the kernels and bags by Saturday.

L Pag

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2191-7643-9888
I'm going to try to bring a full pm setup, but I cant guarantee TV.

Mikered

Smash Rookie
If I brought a 64 and some controllers, would there be any chance of scoring a TV to play some peeps on? Maybe do some friendlys or some money matches if people are down?

Vark

Smash Rookie
Does anyone here have a Tri-wing that can replace analogs? trying to get a replacement for this tourny!

zebra

Smash Cadet
I will be coming to this with Indicted and slox and possibly Strawhats (from CT). I will be bringing 6 gamecubes with melee disc, 2 wii's with project m, and 2-4 tv's

TheGrape

Smash Cadet
If I brought a 64 and some controllers, would there be any chance of scoring a TV to play some peeps on? Maybe do some friendlys or some money matches if people are down?
We're lacking TVs right now so Im not sure if we will have any available for that. Im thinking that you can get the 64 playing before we start the tournament and probably near the end when we wouldnt be needing that many tvs.

How late will registration be open? Might not get there until Noon or 1:00

Oh and I'll be bringing two cubes for melee
Registration ends 30 minutes before the tournament starts. You can send me a text if you think you are running late and I can register you in before you arrive at the venue.

Popcorn machine confirmed for today!!

I also updated the setup sheet and should reflect all the information I've received from FB and this thread. We still need TVs so please bring them if you can. Thanks to everyone who are bringing setups!!

Contact information should be in the FB event page. Feel free to send us a text if you are having problems getting to the venue.

Other than that I hope to see you guys today and enjoy!

Top Bottom